In-Laws' 50th Anniversary | Page 3 | The Boneyard

In-Laws' 50th Anniversary

Reaction Score
My business partner is building a gorgeous home on the Yucatán in Merida He tells me everyday that it’s just like the US. Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Costco, Home Depot blah blah blah.

I dread when the house is done. He is excited to have us there. My wife isn’t going anywhere near Mexico and she isn’t letting me go there alone either.
Mexico is awesome. It's beautiful, the food is awesome, and the people are awesome.

Reaction Score
My business partner is building a gorgeous home on the Yucatán in Merida He tells me everyday that it’s just like the US. Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Costco, Home Depot blah blah blah.

I dread when the house is done. He is excited to have us there. My wife isn’t going anywhere near Mexico and she isn’t letting me go there alone either.

10 million Americans visit the Yucatan according to the google machine every year. Unless your friend is pushing coke to the tourists, I'm gonna say you're good brother. Merida is amazing--you won't regret it.

Reaction Score
10 million Americans visit the Yucatan according to the google machine every year. Unless your friend is pushing coke to the tourists, I'm gonna say you're good brother. Merida is amazing--you won't regret it.
Oh, I don’t doubt it and I’d gladly go. The bad press on Mexico has created a number of fearful people, my wife among them. She can’t accept that there’s good and bad areas.

Reaction Score
Oh, I don’t doubt it and I’d gladly go. The bad press on Mexico has created a number of fearful people, my wife among them. She can’t accept that there’s good and bad areas.
Just show her the numbers and let her know the numbers don't even distinguish why people were murdered. If you're not involved in the drug game or aren't some unbelievably wealthy high level target you have nothing to worry about in Mexico. We had 110 people shot over July 4th weekend in my city (Chicago.) We still get our 50 million tourists every single year and the State Department doesn't issue travel advisories for us.

Reaction Score
I’ll pass on Yucatán. You can have the Mayan ruins, patrolled drug compounds on every corner, a skyrocketing crime rate, mosquitoes and dengue fever all over the place. I think you’re nuts.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I’ll pass on Yucatán. You can have the Mayan ruins, patrolled drug compounds on every corner, a skyrocketing crime rate, mosquitoes and dengue fever all over the place. I think you’re nuts.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but you could just as easily post a number of new stories about LA or NYC.

Reaction Score
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but you could just as easily post a number of new stories about LA or NYC.
Yeah right. Are Americans flocking across the border into Mexico or is it the other way around?

Reaction Score
I was in Playa del Carmen last summer. While I enjoyed the small, locally owned restaurants and cafes, plus the cenotes were cool, I’m not rushing to head back there anytime soon.

To be fair, I’m not a beach lover and hate hot/humid weather, so a lot of my downgrade of the area is due to that, however, I did prefer Puerto Rico.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Yeah right. Are Americans flocking across the border into Mexico or is it the other way around?

I had no idea people moved to where there are jobs. A real shocker. Who would've thought?

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Based on your stated parameters, (large group, international travel newbies, August, under 4k/week) your three best options are:

1. Aruba - a very US-like experience, large resorts and plenty of condo/AirBnB options, all-inclusive isn't necessary, island is safe to roam and explore, Fits a lot of budgets. Cons, better resorts can be expensive especially if food/drinks are included

2. Dominican Republic - value for $, many large all-inclusive resorts, caters to Americans. Cons: mostly bound to resort property, August is hurricane season.

3. Any Caribbean Cruise - All inclusive, easily under 4k per couple unless you drink a ton without a drink package, everyone can do there own thing and still spend pleny of time together. Recommend the larger, newer ships. Southern routes are best, followed by eastern and western. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Celebrity are all fine for groups, enough variety to pick the best ports, itinerary and price. You can link all the reservations together for dinners etc, 8 cabins usually gets you a discount. Cons: cruising is not for everyone, getting 10 chairs by the pool isn't going to happen. Someone in the group will need to coordinate the reservations so that the group can relax once onboard.

Any all-inclusive will be able to accommodate your group to some degree, but the first time travelers may be uncomfortable with the large disparity in the standard of living between the tourists and locals in some of the more off the beaten path locations. If the plan is to stay on resort, then they are pretty much all the same but half the point is exploring. If you stick to Viator rated tour operators, anywhere you go will be safe.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Based on your stated parameters, (large group, international travel newbies, August, under 4k/week) your three best options are:

1. Aruba - a very US-like experience, large resorts and plenty of condo/AirBnB options, all-inclusive isn't necessary, island is safe to roam and explore, Fits a lot of budgets. Cons, better resorts can be expensive especially if food/drinks are included

2. Dominican Republic - value for $, many large all-inclusive resorts, caters to Americans. Cons: mostly bound to resort property, August is hurricane season.

3. Any Caribbean Cruise - All inclusive, easily under 4k per couple unless you drink a ton without a drink package, everyone can do there own thing and still spend pleny of time together. Recommend the larger, newer ships. Southern routes are best, followed by eastern and western. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Celebrity are all fine for groups, enough variety to pick the best ports, itinerary and price. You can link all the reservations together for dinners etc, 8 cabins usually gets you a discount. Cons: cruising is not for everyone, getting 10 chairs by the pool isn't going to happen. Someone in the group will need to coordinate the reservations so that the group can relax once onboard.

Any all-inclusive will be able to accommodate your group to some degree, but the first time travelers may be uncomfortable with the large disparity in the standard of living between the tourists and locals in some of the more off the beaten path locations. If the plan is to stay on resort, then they are pretty much all the same but half the point is exploring. If you stick to Viator rated tour operators, anywhere you go will be safe.
Good choices. I would throw Bermuda on that list. It's a little further north so it may be less oppressively hot and it is a great location for first time international travelers. There is no significant language barrier. it is different enough to feel "foreign" but similar enough to feel "comfortable." There are enough travel and non-beach things to do for senior attendees who may not be as locked in just sitting on a beach for a week. It's been a while since I've been there but the Hamilton princess might be OK for a group and they have a sister resort in Bermuda, the name of which I forget.

Reaction Score
Good choices. I would throw Bermuda on that list. It's a little further north so it may be less oppressively hot and it is a great location for first time international travelers. There is no significant language barrier. it is different enough to feel "foreign" but similar enough to feel "comfortable." There are enough travel and non-beach things to do for senior attendees who may not be as locked in just sitting on a beach for a week. It's been a while since I've been there but the Hamilton princess might be OK for a group and they have a sister resort in Bermuda, the name of which I forget.
My sister had her wedding (about 50 people) in Bermuda the same summer as an anniversary of the island's independence, so she got insane discounts at the Fairmont hotels, something crazy like $250/night. Absolutely loved it there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom