In-Laws' 50th Anniversary | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In-Laws' 50th Anniversary

Reaction Score
Cabo would be like a 5 min plane ride from Phoenix. That's where I would concentrate my efforts.

And pound it into those knuckleheads domes that the trip is for the parents 50th and not their kids whims.
Yeah, I’m digging Cabo. Easy flight for six of the crew and lots of all-inclusives available.

Anyone try the Marquis Los Cabos? Looks gorgeous and while I’m not sure what’s typical for all-inclusive prices, they do pay for three nights and get a 4th free, so a couple staying there would cost $1800 for four nights.

Reaction Score
Oceania or Virgin cruises. Virgin will be a little bigger and easier on the wallet, but it is still very nice. These are calmer, more classy cruises with better food and excellent service.

I’m not a huge cruise person, but it’s really a no brainer for your purposes and it is fantastic for someone with mobility issues. The ships are very handicap friendly, everything is onboard and most importantly, you can really dig in on the research with a cruise and know what you are getting into. I’d hate to show up in Cabo or Anguilla and immediately realize it was a really bad choice for one reason or another.

Reaction Score
Oceania or Virgin cruises. Virgin will be a little bigger and easier on the wallet, but it is still very nice. These are calmer, more classy cruises with better food and excellent service.

I’m not a huge cruise person, but it’s really a no brainer for your purposes and it is fantastic for someone with mobility issues. The ships are very handicap friendly, everything is onboard and most importantly, you can really dig in on the research with a cruise and know what you are getting into. I’d hate to show up in Cabo or Anguilla and immediately realize it was a really bad choice for one reason or another.

The ability to get away from in-laws is diminished on a cruise. For that reason alone, I'd pass. I need at least 3 miles between my SIL and my person at all times.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
My wife and I just celebrated our 50th. We were supposed to go on a cruise from Paris to Normandy in May but I had a health issue that needed resolution so we cancelled the trip. Instead we booked an AirBnB on Martha's Vineyard and had a great time. We love our kids and grandkids but that much time together is exhausting

Reaction Score
I feel like Aruba has to have a bunch of accessible all inclusives

Easier travel than Western Mexico too

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Aruba has everything and is south of the Hurricane line. Non-stop flights available from all major cities on the east coast, although not Bradley. It's 4.5 hours from Logan and JFK

Do NOT stay at an all inclusive in Aruba. Far too many great restaurants, and it's safe. There are many beach front resorts that are walking distance to multiple restaurants.

Stay at resorts on Palm or Eagle beach for the best options. I would also suggest you stay in two bedroom timeshares (read condominiums) Much more fun than hotel rooms for large groups. Timeshares are available just like a hotel room. You have a full kitchen, so you have options for meals and drinks too, You can also rent entire homes for reasonable rates

If you questions, let me know. I consider myself an unofficial tour guide for Americans in Aruba :)

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Funny you should mention that, she is part of the family crew of 19 of us who tomorrow are checking into the Sagamore in Lake George for the next 4 days. I am already fueled with rage and I haven't even got in the car yet.

.................stay tuned.
I completely feel you. We go on vacation with my wife’s family…every year…and her family is large ie she’s 1 of 12 kids. Normally we rent individual rooms at the same resort somewhere so at least I can get away from the chaos if I want to, but last year we had 25 in a house with kids ranging from 3-16 years old in Gatlinburg, TN. It was actually a great location that I never would have thought to pick, but we got there on Saturday and by Tuesday evening, I was ready to punt a couple of people off the back porch. This year is a cruise to Bermuda…

Reaction Score
My FIL brought his father to an all-inclusive a few years ago. I'm thinking any of the big resorts will have handicapped accessible options.

If you want to keep it simple, I'd just go somewhere in a big resort town in Mexico, maybe. Short flight for the elderly, tons of infrastructure, easy for first time travelers.
Maybe 10 or 15 years ago. I wouldn’t go to Mexico now for all the tea in China. I’d go to one of the islands, St Kitts, St Barts, BVI, or French Polynesia if feeling adventurous.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My in-laws' 50th anniversary is next summer and their plan is to spend it with a group of ten, all of which are of college age and older. It'll be in early August.

They've never left the country and will like to for this trip. MIL has mobility issues, so we figure an all-inclusive resort w/ relatively easy access from an international airport is ideal.

My sister-in-laws have proposed some lofty ideas (Curacao, Anguilla) w/ hefty 4k/week price tags, however, one of the sister's husbands makes six-figures under the table, so they've got cash money to burn [I'm going to stop there because I can't stand those two and thinking about the prospect of spending a week with those two in a foreign country makes me want to schedule an appt w/ my therapist].

Anyways, since I do not have any experience booking an all-inclusive resort, I'd love to hear of ideas considering the parameters above. Also, we don't necessarily have to leave the country as US territories are also fair game. My in-laws live in the Phoenix area, so extra points to locations that aren't too daunting of a plane ride from there, even though it's near certainty we'll be on the Atlantic side.

Don't let them burn your wife's inheritance. Convince them to stay home and celebrate with family.

Reaction Score
Maybe 10 or 15 years ago. I wouldn’t go to Mexico now for all the tea in China. I’d go to one of the islands, St Kitts, St Barts, BVI, or French Polynesia if feeling adventurous.

Why?

Reaction Score
Don't let them burn your wife's inheritance. Convince them to stay home and celebrate with family.
Honestly, I'd sign up for that any day. Even in the hottest days of Phoenix area, plenty to do for a good time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The ability to get away from in-laws is diminished on a cruise. For that reason alone, I'd pass. I need at least 3 miles between my SIL and my person at all times.
I think the opposite is true in some ways. Even on a smaller Disney boat, it is very easy to simply not see anybody in your party until dinner. At a resort, it's more likely that you'll all be at the same place at the same times, and for some of these you may not really want to venture outside the resort.

Reaction Score
We’ve done two Oceana cruises in the last ten years and will do another next summer. Love the line. Perfect for us because it’s for less young people and not a wild party atmosphere, and it’s small enough that you can’t help but start talking to people whom you keep running into.

The problem with recommending it for August, of course, is that it doesn’t have a kids camp for his wife.
Great size ships not too big or small. I’m kind of a foodie and their food is outrageously good as you know. I like to go on Vacations To Go cruises and look for deals, they usually give you a bit better deal than the line.
Also you can program it to show you the biggest discounts on all the trips.
Going to Panama and Columbia via Central America for 10 days in December, getting free beer and wine at lunch and dinner plus $700 for excursions in ports.

Now I’m sitting here fantasizing about the Lobster Thermador in their Italian restaurant Toscana.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Honestly, I'd sign up for that any day. Even in the hottest days of Phoenix area, plenty to do for a good time.
Vegas is a very easy destination from Phoenix.

Reaction Score
Completely agree, you are literally taking your life in your hands. The State Department has a travel advisory for basically the whole country.

Reaction Score
Completely agree, you are literally taking your life in your hands. The State Department has a travel advisory for basically the whole country.

The Yucatan and the other big tourist areas are as safe as anywhere. Mexico is lovely.

Reaction Score
My in-laws' 50th anniversary is next summer and their plan is to spend it with a group of ten, all of which are of college age and older. It'll be in early August.

They've never left the country and will like to for this trip. MIL has mobility issues, so we figure an all-inclusive resort w/ relatively easy access from an international airport is ideal.

My sister-in-laws have proposed some lofty ideas (Curacao, Anguilla) w/ hefty 4k/week price tags, however, one of the sister's husbands makes six-figures under the table, so they've got cash money to burn [I'm going to stop there because I can't stand those two and thinking about the prospect of spending a week with those two in a foreign country makes me want to schedule an appt w/ my therapist].

Anyways, since I do not have any experience booking an all-inclusive resort, I'd love to hear of ideas considering the parameters above. Also, we don't necessarily have to leave the country as US territories are also fair game. My in-laws live in the Phoenix area, so extra points to locations that aren't too daunting of a plane ride from there, even though it's near certainty we'll be on the Atlantic side.
I would take my MIL cliff diving. Especially since she can’t swim

Reaction Score
Great size ships not too big or small. I’m kind of a foodie and their food is outrageously good as you know. I like to go on Vacations To Go cruises and look for deals, they usually give you a bit better deal than the line.
Also you can program it to show you the biggest discounts on all the trips.
Going to Panama and Columbia via Central America for 10 days in December, getting free beer and wine at lunch and dinner plus $700 for excursions in ports.

Now I’m sitting here fantasizing about the Lobster Thermador in their Italian restaurant Toscana.

We've done a 7 night from Rome to Barcelona and an 11 night in the Caribbean. Next summer we'll do Alaska. And yes, the food is uniformly good, and I don't think I could now go on a cruise where my wife and I can't eat at tables for 2 by ourselves without having assigned times and companions.

Reaction Score
The Yucatan and the other big tourist areas are as safe as anywhere. Mexico is lovely.
Respectfully disagree. I work closely w the executive protection team at work and travel to Mexico is treated a lot differently than just about anywhere else in the world. The problem w Mexico is law enforcement is now part of the cartel network, the country is one large criminal enterprise. Might be lovely, but it's not safe. We had guys who were targeted when they got off the plane and we even coach them up before they leave. No expensive luggage/watches/high end clothes. The cartels used to stay away from the tourist spots, not anymore. There are better choices out there.

Reaction Score
Tell that to the families of the three surfers who were shot in head, or the 5 people killed at an Acapulco grocery store. Ten additional murdered people were found throughout Acapulco in the past few days.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. I work closely w the executive protection team at work and travel to Mexico is treated a lot differently than just about anywhere else in the world. The problem w Mexico is law enforcement is now part of the cartel network, the country is one large criminal enterprise. Might be lovely, but it's not safe. We had guys who were targeted when they got off the plane and we even coach them up before they leave. No expensive luggage/watches/high end clothes. The cartels used to stay away from the tourist spots, not anymore. There are better choices out there.
I’d rather go to French Polynesia, crime is very low there unless you want to go to a French prison.

Reaction Score
My business partner is building a gorgeous home on the Yucatán in Merida He tells me everyday that it’s just like the US. Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Costco, Home Depot blah blah blah.

I dread when the house is done. He is excited to have us there. My wife isn’t going anywhere near Mexico and she isn’t letting me go there alone either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom