In-Laws' 50th Anniversary | The Boneyard

In-Laws' 50th Anniversary

Reaction Score
My in-laws' 50th anniversary is next summer and their plan is to spend it with a group of ten, all of which are of college age and older. It'll be in early August.

They've never left the country and will like to for this trip. MIL has mobility issues, so we figure an all-inclusive resort w/ relatively easy access from an international airport is ideal.

My sister-in-laws have proposed some lofty ideas (Curacao, Anguilla) w/ hefty 4k/week price tags, however, one of the sister's husbands makes six-figures under the table, so they've got cash money to burn [I'm going to stop there because I can't stand those two and thinking about the prospect of spending a week with those two in a foreign country makes me want to schedule an appt w/ my therapist].

Anyways, since I do not have any experience booking an all-inclusive resort, I'd love to hear of ideas considering the parameters above. Also, we don't necessarily have to leave the country as US territories are also fair game. My in-laws live in the Phoenix area, so extra points to locations that aren't too daunting of a plane ride from there, even though it's near certainty we'll be on the Atlantic side.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My FIL brought his father to an all-inclusive a few years ago. I'm thinking any of the big resorts will have handicapped accessible options.

If you want to keep it simple, I'd just go somewhere in a big resort town in Mexico, maybe. Short flight for the elderly, tons of infrastructure, easy for first time travelers.

Reaction Score
Orlando area has something for everyone especially a group that size. Can also rent a small passenger bus down there to travel to Key West, NASA, beach, etc. with family.

It's not chic or new, but easy to get to from all over the country.

Also older folks like simplicity and familiarity.

Reaction Score
Cabo would be like a 5 min plane ride from Phoenix. That's where I would concentrate my efforts.

And pound it into those knuckleheads domes that the trip is for the parents 50th and not their kids whims.

Reaction Score
Oceania cruise. Anywhere. Ship size is either 800 or 1200 passengers, I hate big 4000 passenger cruise ships. Luxury, dining amazing all inclusive. New York to Newport R. I. And then Bermuda then back to NY. $2000 per person 7 days. They have to fly to NY. There are cruises that go to more exotic places and for longer but be prepared to spend a bunch more and fly further.
This will be the happiest trip of their lives, trust me.

Mexico in summer is hot even west coast.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My in-laws' 50th anniversary is next summer and their plan is to spend it with a group of ten, all of which are of college age and older. It'll be in early August.

They've never left the country and will like to for this trip. MIL has mobility issues, so we figure an all-inclusive resort w/ relatively easy access from an international airport is ideal.

My sister-in-laws have proposed some lofty ideas (Curacao, Anguilla) w/ hefty 4k/week price tags, however, one of the sister's husbands makes six-figures under the table, so they've got cash money to burn [I'm going to stop there because I can't stand those two and thinking about the prospect of spending a week with those two in a foreign country makes me want to schedule an appt w/ my therapist].

Anyways, since I do not have any experience booking an all-inclusive resort, I'd love to hear of ideas considering the parameters above. Also, we don't necessarily have to leave the country as US territories are also fair game. My in-laws live in the Phoenix area, so extra points to locations that aren't too daunting of a plane ride from there, even though it's near certainty we'll be on the Atlantic side.
For my parents 50th we went to the Fairmont Mayakoba just above Playa Del Carmen. Beautiful place, has everything really. The cabana rooms made it pleasant for a larger group. That said, depending on how mobility impaired she is, any of these beach/pool resort places could prove problematic.

If the mobility is really a major issue then @jibsey may be right in looking at cruises. Bonus is that it's also pretty easy to do something different than your sister-in-law. You won't be stuck together. For summer, maybe Nova Scotia, or even Bermuda.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Orlando area has something for everyone especially a group that size. Can also rent a small passenger bus down there to travel to Key West, NASA, beach, etc. with family.

It's not chic or new, but easy to get to from all over the country.

Also older folks like simplicity and familiarity.
Why would someone voluntarily go to Orlando in the summer?

Reaction Score
I would think leaving the heat would be a nice summer change of pace for someone in PHX.

Here’s an idea….why doesn’t your wife ask them what they would be interested in…bypasses the SIL making decisions for the group
They want us to do research and ultimately do all the planning so it’s easy peasy for them.
Why would someone voluntarily go to Orlando in the summer?
Preach.

My FIL brought his father to an all-inclusive a few years ago. I'm thinking any of the big resorts will have handicapped accessible options.

If you want to keep it simple, I'd just go somewhere in a big resort town in Mexico, maybe. Short flight for the elderly, tons of infrastructure, easy for first time travelers.
Ooh Baja/Cabo or western Mexico recs please!

Reaction Score
I'd choose a cruise, on a line that is geared toward older passengers. With 10 attendees, a cruise provides something for everyone. All-inclusives tend to cater to active young people, and there's a lot of drinking.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
You probably should get advice from @August_West on how to deal with SIL on special occasion trips.
Funny you should mention that, she is part of the family crew of 19 of us who tomorrow are checking into the Sagamore in Lake George for the next 4 days. I am already fueled with rage and I haven't even got in the car yet.

.................stay tuned.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
i agree with the all inclusive's to make many happy but if all are going to be adults choose one that is adults only (not singles) so the women in the group will all be able to relax without someones child screaming mommy and 10 women turn. The mothers with kids in the house will appreciate that peace of mind. I know my wife & other women we have met at these places agree.

Reaction Score
Funny you should mention that, she is part of the family crew of 19 of us who tomorrow are checking into the Sagamore in Lake George for the next 4 days. I am already fueled with rage and I haven't even got in the car yet.

The Sagamore is a great spot. Don't let SIL ruin it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I’m still tuned in to the incomplete report of the Scottish wedding as is @businesslawyer.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I’m still tuned in to the incomplete report of the Scottish wedding as is @businesslawyer.
We’ve been over this. I finished that thread on the Boneyard champion gold level access board. Still don’t know why more of you don’t pay for that to support here.

Reaction Score
Oceania cruise. Anywhere. Ship size is either 800 or 1200 passengers, I hate big 4000 passenger cruise ships. Luxury, dining amazing all inclusive. New York to Newport R. I. And then Bermuda then back to NY. $2000 per person 7 days. They have to fly to NY. There are cruises that go to more exotic places and for longer but be prepared to spend a bunch more and fly further.
This will be the happiest trip of their lives, trust me.

Mexico in summer is hot even west coast.
We’ve done two Oceana cruises in the last ten years and will do another next summer. Love the line. Perfect for us because it’s for less young people and not a wild party atmosphere, and it’s small enough that you can’t help but start talking to people whom you keep running into.

The problem with recommending it for August, of course, is that it doesn’t have a kids camp for his wife.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We’ve been over this. I finished that thread on the Boneyard champion gold level access board. Still don’t know why more of you don’t pay for that to support here.
But you didn’t choose to put the whole story there, did you? You acted as if NBC ran two thirds of a mini-series on over the air TV and then only aired the conclusion on Peacock. NBC would be rightly attacked for that. Somehow, you think it’s different for you.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Boneyard gold level access board? Never heard of it. Never read a post of your claim you posted it there even though I questioned you directly whether you intended completing it. But I do know who Torvik is.

Reaction Score
Cabo would be like a 5 min plane ride from Phoenix. That's where I would concentrate my efforts.

And pound it into those knuckleheads domes that the trip is for the parents 50th and not their kids whims.
Cabo is a great idea. Look into rental house with cook and housekeeping including. A former client had a cabo place with 5 master suites and service people including. Might solve your problem

Reaction Score
Cabo is a great idea. Look into rental house with cook and housekeeping including. A former client had a cabo place with 5 master suites and service people including. Might solve your problem
A friend did the same in Caribbean and loved it. Having chef prepare meals and Staff for everything else is a nice way to live…if only for a week

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom