In defense of Nika | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In defense of Nika

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nika is a defense oriented PG as opposed to a PG that knows how to be a scorer.
Here's a comparison of Nika to UCLA freshman PG Kiki Rice.

Player - Nika - Kiki
Games-36----36
Avg.
Mins---36.6 --27.9
FGM----84----148
3PT-----37----13
FT-------51---153
PTS-----256--430
PPG
Avg,-----7.1--11.6
RB's-----145--161
PF's------84---85
Ass'ts---284--111
TO's-----127---61
Steals-----50---45
Blocks------5---20

What's evident from these stats is that Kiki knows how to draw fouls and get to the foul line to score points.
Kiki scored an average of 4.5 more points per game while playing 8.7 less minutes per game.
Kiki is only a freshman PG and already knew how to score more points than Nika who is a junior. with 3 years of PG experience.
Plus Kiki committed less than 1/2 the number of TO's.

I have seen very little of UCLA's game play this year, but the statistics that you have gathered suggest to me that Kiki Rice's role on the UCLA team was more similar to Christyn Williams's role with UConn last year than to Nika's role this year. Having only 111 assists for an entire season (less than 3 per game?) does not suggest that Kiki had a role as a true point guard.

It should be noted that Nika's A/TO ratio was 2.23, while Kiki's was 1.81, based on your statistics.

It's true that Nika didn't draw a lot of fouls, reflecting the fact that driving to the basket was not a big part of her game. That is definitely an area of potential growth for her next year. She started to do it late in the season, but there is a lot more that she could do in that area.

If Geno could trade Nika for Kiki, should he do it? He said he wouldn't trade Nika for any college guard, and I think he had in mind her intangible contributions to the team when he said that.

If Cori Close could make that trade, would/should she trade Kiki for Nika? Again I think the answer is probably No. Each player fulfills a vital role for her team, but it's not the same role.

Reaction Score
If fans want to proclaim Nika to be the starting PG next year despite KK entering the picture, then let's look at Geno's options objectively.
If KK ends up being as good as Kiki Rice, then why should KK sit on the bench all year?
Let's look at it from the perspective of Geno, Paige and the rest of the team.
UConn is just like any other team & will always have a need for a multi talented guard who can also be a back up PG.
Every player on the floor needs to make passes & plays & shouldn't be expected to play 40 minutes.
Maybe some folks think that the PG position can't be shared as other capable players earn PT & need to be trained based on circumstances & their natural abilities.
We'll see what Geno does as next year's team undergoes its annual growing pains.
Geno will do what he has always done. He's not going to change after 38 years, and I doubt he's going to bench his senior point guard who has started for the last few years for a freshman with zero experience. If you're a freshman and you want to start, you basically need to be Paige level good or the team has a need and no one else to fill the role. This team will not be lacking in experienced guards next season with a junior Azzi, and senior Paige and Nika. That's one position I think we can rule out a freshman starting.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I won't use the word haters, but there were plenty that have criticized Nika being the point guard. She did not meet their definition of a point guard. They wanted a shoot first, pass second one. That's not Nika and is never going to be Nika. It's the same mindset that we have to have a 6' 5" or bigger post banger. And by the way, this post player must have a hook shot.

By anyone's standards, Nika has an exceptional year. But we are very spoiled and entitled fan base. We can't accept the defeat. So having an exceptional season is not enough.

I will say Nika will start as point guard next year. If healthy, Paige and Azzi are the 2 and 3 guards. Then you have Caroline and probably Aubrey ready to come in. It will be extremely difficult for a frosh guard to break into that lineup. That is reality.

Reaction Score
Nika did a great job this year at PG, her turnover rate was a little high, and some games she had too many fouls, but she did have a record number for assists and lead UConn to a great season considering all the injuries. Paige Bueckers is also a great PG and it is up to Geno to figure out which one works best for the team.

We also have Arnold coming in. We should be good.

Reaction Score
I won't use the word haters, but there were plenty that have criticized Nika being the point guard. She did not meet their definition of a point guard. They wanted a shoot first, pass second one. That's not Nika and is never going to be Nika. It's the same mindset that we have to have a 6' 5" or bigger post banger. And by the way, this post player must have a hook shot.

By anyone's standards, Nika has an exceptional year. But we are very spoiled and entitled fan base. We can't accept the defeat. So having an exceptional season is not enough.

I will say Nika will start as point guard next year. If healthy, Paige and Azzi are the 2 and 3 guards. Then you have Caroline and probably Aubrey ready to come in. It will be extremely difficult for a frosh guard to break into that lineup. That is reality.
I see the starters next season as Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, and Aaliyah. Caroline and Ayanna first off the bench. Maybe Ice overtakes Ayanna at some point in the big rotation, but she's coming in with zero experience while Ayanna has a season under her belt and that counts for a lot when making the high school to college transition.

Reaction Score
Nika is a defense oriented PG as opposed to a PG that knows how to be a scorer.
Here's a comparison of Nika to UCLA freshman PG Kiki Rice.

Player - Nika - Kiki
Games-36----36
Avg.
Mins---36.6 --27.9
FGM----84----148
3PT-----37----13
FT-------51---153
PTS-----256--430
PPG
Avg,-----7.1--11.6
RB's-----145--161
PF's------84---85
Ass'ts---284--111
TO's-----127---61
Steals-----50---45
Blocks------5---20

What's evident from these stats is that Kiki knows how to draw fouls and get to the foul line to score points.
Kiki scored an average of 4.5 more points per game while playing 8.7 less minutes per game.
Kiki is only a freshman PG and already knew how to score more points than Nika who is a junior. with 3 years of PG experience.
Plus Kiki committed less than 1/2 the number of TO's.

Geno has always said, 'we want our players to do best, what they do best, we don't ask them to be a player they aren't' (paraphrase). Specially he has said repeatedly, 'we just need Nika to be Nika'. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Nika is not offensively comparable to point guards that's emphasis is as scorers. You called out Kiki's lower turnover numbers, but it's worth noting that her a/to rate was 1.82 and Nika's was 2.24, which gives that difference some perspective.

So did Nika have a great year doing what she does best this past season? The answer is, clearly yes. She repeated as BE DPOY even though she had to play much more conservatively on that end to avoid foul trouble and to remain on the floor ( more minutes than any other player on the team). She also garnered three career assist records, most assists in a game, most assists in a season and the most double digit assist games in a season (shattering the last two's previous marks).

Beyond that she almost doubled her pts/gm, increased reb/gm, significantly increased fta & ftm/gm. Lastly she always has been vocal and a huge energy player for the team but this season she stepped that up and assumed the role of the team leader, as repeatedly acknowledged by her teammates and coaches.

Not bad for a kid who had to step it up in countless ways when Paige (the best wccb player in the country) went down for the season. She didn't shrink away from any of the challenges that were thrust upon her, she embraced them.

Freshman season Nika and Paige played exceptionally well together, two excellent ball handlers and passers with great court vision that wanted to raise the games of their teammates. They complimented each other and had offsetting additional skillsets, Paige an offensive juggernaut and Nika a tenacious defender. Next season, I fully expect that, they will each contribute tremendously in what will be an exceptional year for Uconn wcbb. So yes, I expect to see Paige, Nika and Azzi as our starting backcourt, Aaliyah the foundation of our front court, surrounded with an exceptional diversely talented roster that will make Uconn wcbb once again Bad for Basketball.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If fans want to proclaim Nika to be the starting PG next year despite KK entering the picture, then let's look at Geno's options objectively.
If KK ends up being as good as Kiki Rice, then why should KK sit on the bench all year?
UConn is just like any other team & will always have a need for a multi talented guard who can also be a back up PG.
Every player on the floor needs to make passes & plays & shouldn't be expected to play 40 minutes.
Maybe some folks think that the PG position can't be shared as other capable players earn PT & need to be trained based on circumstances & their natural abilities.
We'll see what Geno does as next year's team undergoes its annual growing pains.
Keep cherry picking players to compare when there is no identical things to compare.

Reaction Score
Nika had a great year with a few poor games sprinkled in there. Unfortunately the last game was one of them. The same can be said for a few other players on the team.

Next year is up for debate. It is certainly true in my opinion that Paige will be ahead of Nika and possibly KK as well. From my limited exposure to KK's game, she is really good and potentially more talented than Nika. That is no slight to Nika who is an AA in her own right.
I think KK is the juice coming off the bench we need for next year. Now does GA start Nika, Paige and Azzi? It is very possible but our two bigs better be really good at controlling the paint. Either way you slice it, it is obvious Nika's minutes will come down from this year.

That said, I think she will compete and help us win a lot of games next year. Why wouldn't she? She done that the last 3 years....

sun

Reaction Score
I have seen very little of UCLA's game play this year, but the statistics that you have gathered suggest to me that Kiki Rice's role on the UCLA team was more similar to Christyn Williams's role with UConn last year than to Nika's role this year. Having only 111 assists for an entire season (less than 3 per game?) does not suggest that Kiki had a role as a true point guard.

It should be noted that Nika's A/TO ratio was 2.23, while Kiki's was 1.81, based on your statistics.

It's true that Nika didn't draw a lot of fouls, reflecting the fact that driving to the basket was not a big part of her game. That is definitely an area of potential growth for her next year. She started to do it late in the season, but there is a lot more that she could do in that area.

If Geno could trade Nika for Kiki, should he do it? He said he wouldn't trade Nika for any college guard, and I think he had in mind her intangible contributions to the team when he said that.

If Cori Close could make that trade, would/should she trade Kiki for Nika? Again I think the answer is probably No. Each player fulfills a vital role for her team, but it's not the same role.
Kiki Rice shares PG duties with Gina Conti who is a grad student transfer from Wake Forest, and they play almost the exact same amount of minutes per game @ 27.9 vs 27.1.
Conti was one of 20 candidates on the 2023 Nancy Lieberman PG of the Year Award watch list in Oct. and has 119 assists compared to Kiki's 111 assists.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No doubt that Muhl played her heart out, this last game, and every game. Absolutely a fierce competitor. But the coaches will be considering the stats as do we. Those show that team averaged 16.4 turnovers per game. And it appeared turnovers worsened as the season wore on. By contrast, opposing teams averaged just 14.2 turnovers per game against UConn. And opposing teams averaged 14.5 points off UConn turnovers per game, compared with a just slightly better 16.3 ppg off turnovers for us. Our assists were 18.8 versus those those 16.4 turnovers. So the usually stellar assist/turnover ratio that is the hallmark of Connecticut basketball wasn't there this year.

Yes, the two best guards in the country were injured, while Ducharmes was injured and coming back slowly when she did play. But the coaches will be evaluating all options when the new season comes round. Will Muhl be starting PG? Or Paige? Will KK get some serious time to prove what she can do? That's all up to the coaches.

But you can bet that those chronic turnovers, including the 25 in the last game of the season, will be uppermost in Coach Geno's mind to rectify next year.

sun

Reaction Score
KK has watched every UConn game over & over & already knows what Geno will expect from her.
She'll be ahead of the curve because she's got some talents that can't be easily learned.

Reaction Score
Nika had an amazing year. Lets not forget she was knocked around a number of times, and tweaked her ankle not long ago and she just tightened her sneaker and went back out there and played on. You do not come any tougher than Nika. I think next year with her and Paige on the floor together it will open up Paige to be more of a shooter.
I for one think we will be scary good next year. If we can stay healthy. Stop attacking Nika and Geno people.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I hope that you are wrong about this.

The first part, that is. I hope she takes her Covid year and plays two more years for UConn.
I don’t believe Nika is eligible for a Covid year. Only players that are seniors this year have that option

Reaction Score
It didn't take long for the Nika haters to come forth with the premise that we need another PG next year, and it was mostly her fault that we couldn't break the Ohio State press. LOL. Did you guys watch the game? With all the pressure defensives I've seen in all my years, I'm pretty sure one person cannot break a press by themselves. This was a great press by OS, but to break it players have to move towards the ball to get a pass, hell, just move period. Everybody just stood still, waiting for Nika, and any other player to pass the ball to them. Except, nobody did that, just stood around, not giving the ball handler an option.
What's done is done, and I believe in Nika, and for the most part, most of the BYers also do. She will be our PG next year, with Paige and Azzi flanking her for the best backcourt in WBB. How can everyone forget what she accomplished this year, BE DPOY again, breaking Sues assist record, and that's hard to do when the options of good shooters were not abundant. She only missed one game during her concussion protocol, and who knows if she was completely healed. She is a fighter, she is UConn, and no one took losing harder than she did. Don't look at one game, look at the season. For most of the season we depended on 5 players, and they were winners for the most part. All 5 players gave it their all, and Nika ensured that they were dialed in for every game. Next year is her last, and she will be our PG, no question. If some of you still can't see that, then you never will. For most of us, we do see that, and she will IMHO, along with Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, Caroline, and the rest of our crew, bring the NC back to Storrs. God forbid injuries again hit us, and if they don't, we will be hard to stop, and I think we will have the best team since the Stewie years. On to next year, and as always, Go Huskies.
There is more to becoming a point guard or a forward or a center than learning how to handle a basketball and learn plays..It requires hours/months/years of study, just like the QB in football as he approached the line ... looks and checks the defense and adjusts...
When you hit the court and they throw the 2-1-2 press at you..you know in a instant how to adjust and break it..But I don't think thats the problrm...When the OU staff claims they get 20 turnovers a game with their press that opens many doors to a possible Uconn weakness, one that will require going back to the classroom and study press options. We either do that or everybody and there brother will throw off the wall press's at us..and we cannot stande 20 plus flips a game...
If OU could every meet a teram like SC, and if they had three lights out 3 point guards...Watch Out..!!! I don't think SC's 6 foot 5-7-4 inch players could hand OU ...
Controlling the tempo, and speed of the game is a chore for the coaches. at a times we play to fast. then too slow, which leads to miss-quees and throw aways...So another off season chore for the coaches..

There is more to becoming a point guard or a forward or a center than learning how to handle a basketball and learn plays..It requires hours/months/years of study, just like the QB in football as he approached the line ... looks and checks the defense and adjusts...
When you hit the court and they throw the 2-1-2 press at you..you know in a instant how to adjust and break it..But I don't think thats the problrm...When the OU staff claims they get 20 turnovers a game with their press that opens many doors to a possible Uconn weakness, one that will require going back to the classroom and study press options. We either do that or everybody and there brother will throw off the wall press's at us..and we cannot stande 20 plus flips a game...
If OU could every meet a teram like SC, and if they had three lights out 3 point guards...Watch Out..!!! I don't think SC's 6 foot 5-7-4 inch players could hand OU ...
I hope that SC/OU will meet as it will be a game of games...
Controlling the tempo, and speed of the game is a chore for the coaches. at a times we play to fast. then too slow, which leads to miss-quees and throw aways...So another off season chore for the coaches.
.Also I would take a off time and teach the boys practice team the 4 most popular press's, and at random during normal practices I would STOP .... pull the pulg and have the boys PRESS...at least twice a week...

Reaction Score
I saw KK in the McDonald's AA game last night. She was fast and a good defender but she ended up with no points, no assists and 3 fouls plus a Technical. She brought the ball down the court but after one pass just stood around. I was not impressed with her.
Same thing with Shade.
I wouldnt hold my breath thinking KK is gonna be our starting point guard.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I don’t believe Nika is eligible for a Covid year. Only players that are seniors this year have that option
I don`t think that competing during the 2020-2021 season counts against anyone, the NCAA did not distinguish between classes. There was a recognition that the season would likely be crappy - and it was, no fans, but lots of postponements and cancellations - and the NCAA didn`t want players to bail on that season and sit it out en masse.

On the roster for next year, that would include Paige, Aaliyah, Nika as eligible for two more. (Paige actually could play three more seasons.) Aubrey has at least one and possibly two more years of eligibility, although I am never totally confident opining on her eligibility.

It would not include anyone in Azzi`s class, though, they all have two more years.

Where it gets dicey is that there was only one season where the number of scholarships was expanded. The limit of 15 is not expanded to include those taking the extra year. That is a headache for coaches that was recognized right off the bat, though.

Reaction Score
Nika and Paige are from the same recruiting class. If Paige is eligible for a Covid year, and she is, why wouldn't Nika?

sun

Reaction Score
I saw KK in the McDonald's AA game last night. She was fast and a good defender but she ended up with no points, no assists and 3 fouls plus a Technical. She brought the ball down the court but after one pass just stood around. I was not impressed with her.
Same thing with Shade.
I wouldnt hold my breath thinking KK is gonna be our starting point guard.
Maybe they both considered the game to be a meaningless exhibition.
She wasn't standing around for the Team USA 3X3 competition, and looked like a star.
She doesn't necessarily need to be a starter.
Her superior skills have been evident all along & I don't believe that Geno rolled craps by recruiting her.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom