In case you forgot - Ice Brady | The Boneyard

In case you forgot - Ice Brady

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here she is (#24) playing vs Iowa State signee Audi Crooks. :)

Geno spoke this past season about the evolution of the post player. The back-to-the-basket, sit in the lane type of post is being replaced by versatile players that can shoot from the perimeter and move freely through the paint. Geno has been ahead of the curve on this when you think of greats like Stewie, Napheesa, Tina, Asjha, Dorka, etc. I know a lot of posters here don’t watch the NBA but you see a similar phenomenon playing out there, too. Ice is another one - I can’t wait to see her play

Reaction Score
I totally agree. I remember watching this video a year or so ago and being very impressed. Ice’s offense was really well developed even then. I also noticed that she was not assigned to defend Audi Crooks, and that was left to Kennedy Basham (I think) — an exhausting task I expect. I take this to mean the coach thought Ice’s offense to be too important to waste her energy on an impossible defensive task.

I also think Iowa St got lucky signing Crooks. I’ve watched a couple of her HS games and she is impressive, too.

Reaction Score
I love the fact Ice seems to be unhurried with the ball and plays under control. She uses hesiattion to get the defender off balance, then throws in some "up and under" moves going to the basket. She gives me hope the loss of Dorka won't be a gaping hole in the middle for the Huskies. I'm with Nan, can't wait to see her - and all the others - on the court and playing.

Reaction Score
They're calling LSU "a super team" with the additions of Haley Van Lith and Morrow to join Angel Reese but UCONN is getting Paige, Azzi, Ice, plus KK, Shade, and Q! I think UCONN is building a "super team" of it's own in Storrs!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I totally agree. I remember watching this video a year or so ago and being very impressed. Ice’s offense was really well developed even then. I also noticed that she was not assigned to defend Audi Crooks, and that was left to Kennedy Basham (I think) — an exhausting task I expect. I take this to mean the coach thought Ice’s offense to be too important to waste her energy on an impossible defensive task.

I also think Iowa St got lucky signing Crooks. I’ve watched a couple of her HS games and she is impressive, too.
Crooks seems a little raw and, well, unfinished. The word “project” struck me

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nan, we have not forgotten about Ice. We’re all waiting patiently to see her on the floor. I’m expecting BIG things from her. I expect her to get better and more comfortable in Geno’s system with each passing year. There are several of our players I’m really looking forward to seeing. Ice is one of them.

She’ll have the advantage of practicing with her teammates and watching a full season of play. So she knows what to expect. Ice is a no-nonsense person. I’d be surprised if she didn’t meet the expectations the coaches have for her this coming season. Ice will be a hard player not to like and pull for.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Crooks can get into better shape, she could be a real force on the offensive end........Not sure why Ice's team wasn't fronting her with their taller post defender...........once she got the ball down low it was virtually impossible to prevent her from scoring.............Ice should be a wonderful inside-out frontcourt complement to Aal;iyah when they are both in the lineup......

Reaction Score
I know what you mean. But I saw a game from this season against Hopkins HS, and she seemed a bit more polished, and definitely someone who plays within herself. I was especially struck by her stamina. She played every minute of the game -- Bishop Garrigan HS could not afford to sit her down -- and whatever they needed her to do, she did, even including breaking the press. She has a soft shooting touch, passes out of the low post well, and is way too strong, especially in her hands. Maybe she will have trouble adjusting to the speed of the D1 game. But she could be another Pili, only with even more height and strength to dominate the low post.

PS: I don't think Crooks is out of shape. She's a 2-sport athlete, a shot putter on the track team. She's just a big strong girl.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know what you mean. But I saw a game from this season against Hopkins HS, and she seemed a bit more polished, and definitely someone who plays within herself. I was especially struck by her stamina. She played every minute of the game -- Bishop Garrigan HS could not afford to sit her down -- and whatever they needed her to do, she did, even including breaking the press. She has a soft shooting touch, passes out of the low post well, and is way too strong, especially in her hands. Maybe she will have trouble adjusting to the speed of the D1 game. But she could be another Pili, only with even more height and strength to dominate the low post.

PS: I don't think Crooks is out of shape. She's a 2-sport athlete, a shot putter on the track team. She's just a big strong girl.
It’s hard to tell much from a short highlight video so I will bow to your opinion

Reaction Score
It’s hard to tell much from a short highlight video so I will bow to your opinion
Actually, I was getting ready to bow to your opinion. It's really hard to tell from videos, long or short, how good they'll actually be. Geno recruited Ice and not Crooks. That says a lot.

Reaction Score
Since Ice didn't play at all last year is she still eligible for Freshman awards/nominations?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Since Ice didn't play at all last year is she still eligible for Freshman awards/nominations?
She should be!! She's a sophomore academically, but a freshman athletically, a "red-shirt" freshman if you will with 4 years of eligibility to her credit as of today. ;)

Reaction Score

Yes. She is considered a freshman in basketball

Reaction Score
We probably would have won the Title last year if she was healthy all year. A front line of AE, Dorka, and Ice would have been unstoppable (and given the team much needed depth).

Reaction Score
I have Ice as one of my starters. Geno might keep her on the bench and use her to sub for Aaliyah. We might go with Nika PG and Azzi and Paige as the shooting guards Aubrey or Caroline at forward and Aaliyah as the 4/5. Indiana and Iowa used 6"3" Centers and did well. Geno has lots of choices I got lots of popcorn ready to go!!!

Reaction Score
They're calling LSU "a super team" with the additions of Haley Van Lith and Morrow to join Angel Reese but UCONN is getting Paige, Azzi, Ice, plus KK, Shade, and Q! I think UCONN is building a "super team" of it's own in Storrs!
You can’t count the freshmen because LSU may have better freshmen coming in than Connecticut does. As good as Connecticut looks the LSU team is going to be scary good if she is aYou can’t count the freshmen because LSU may have better freshmen coming in then Connecticut does. As good as Connecticut looks the LSU team is gonna be scary good if she is able to blend the AA type personalities.

Reaction Score
You can’t count the freshmen because LSU may have better freshmen coming in than Connecticut does. As good as Connecticut looks the LSU team is going to be scary good if she is aYou can’t count the freshmen because LSU may have better freshmen coming in then Connecticut does. As good as Connecticut looks the LSU team is gonna be scary good if she is able to blend the AA type personalities.
Williams, I’ll grant, seems to have the potential to be a rare one for sure. Rosario and Velez are not imo as good as our recruits though. Certainly not better. It’s all a guessing game but I certainly wouldn’t trade our roster (or our recruiting class for that matter) for LSU’s! If we are 100% healthy we will be pretty scary too!
Clearly though, the LSU haul (recruits and transfers) have made everyone’s path to next season’s title much more difficult and if several or all of those players are able to perform at a high level then the rest of WCBB is going to have a real problem. Though bigs usually take some time to step up in college, Rosario, in particular, if she were to break out and start producing double doubles for example, could make them virtually unbeatable! After all, it’s not like the cupboard was bare after the stars.
I think I’d better stop talking about their roster now though, as I find I’m scaring myself!:rolleyes: Please, please, please let us be completely healthy next year! If that happens, I still like our chances!

Reaction Score
UCONN is better if they are healthy. Paige and Azzi if healthy are better than Reese. Edwards is A/A caliber. And Caroline is scarier if healthy than Williams or whoever their 4th option is. Caroline is a probable #1 option on many teams if healthy with potential extremely high efficiency. Then Nika and Aubrey are seniors. They just need 1 player of the 4 in the frontcourt to be "decent" and Ice probably will be more than that.

If healthy, we have to understand how great Paige and Azzi are. It’s not just big players that are great.

Reaction Score
Van Lith and Morrow vs Bueckers & Brady.

Which team is adding more?
Well, since Brady has not yet played a single minute of D1 level basketball, there is nothing to compare. But, I'll take Paige and any other proven UConn player any day of the week.

Reaction Score
Ice and Ayanna provide an interesting contrast. Ice has pretty good athletic ability, but nowhere near Ayanna's, and Ayanna is nowhere near Ice in terms of refined moves, polish, and reading and reacting. Ice moves are under control, Ayanna is rushed and seems to have just one speed and tries to speed by, or jump over people, rarely reading what the defense is giving her, using deception, or shielding the ball from her defender.

The good news is Ayanna is so raw that she still has big upside despite a very discouraging first year, and she is considered a hard worker so the effort is there. True we haven't seen Ice in a game at this level yet, but what we have seen in videos suggests she is a rare big that has a very refined game and she is much closer to reaching her upside.

sun

Reaction Score
I like the idea of Ice being able to play as a guard to take advantage of her mid-range game.
She can be a 3 level scorer.
Then UConn can play 2 bigs plus Ice, Paige & Azzi to control the boards against other teams that have 2 bigs playing at the same time.
But that could depend on Amari or Jana being down low along with Edwards.
Some teams like Scar might have twin towers playing at the same time.
It would mean that Jana or Amari would need to step up and become shot blockers & rebounders which could be doable for a short rotation.
Edwards & Ice are bound to need rest at times.

I don't like the idea of Carol playing under the basket with her concussion history.
She needs to be more of a perimeter player under most circumstances.
One whack to the head or face and she could be toast.
She should become a sub at shooting guard coming off the bench for Azzi if she doesn't start at guard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, I have not forgot about Ice Brady. Definitely looking forward to seeing how the whole process develops. Like I always say, we got the talent, on paper, to be really good. The key will be how everything blends together on the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom