In case there's one person who still had doubts about Herbst | The Boneyard

In case there's one person who still had doubts about Herbst

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here's what Geno has to say about her:

"I don't think who the athletic director is affects me that much or my basketball program," Auriemma said. "I think the more important thing for the university is who the president is. And I think our new president is going to set the tone for what happens in every department, not just athletics. And I've had some good presidents that I've worked for. But I think her approach is going to dictate where we go from here. So far, listening to her, I really, really like her approach. She's smart, she's tough, she's engaging, she's incredibly driven to get the results that she wants and she's not a sit-back-and-wait kind of person. So I'm pretty excited about where we're going."

["where we're going" as an athletic program? Article doesn't clarify]

Reaction Score
I think events at hand may be a bit out of her control. We're at ACC's/B1G's mercy right now and it appears both are after programs with a much better football tradition than UConn can provide.

Reaction Score
Glad to hear this. Susan Herbst will be my hero if she can get us out of this mess.

Reaction Score
I will judge her on production. She either completes her only pass or we're in a deep hole.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I will judge her on production. She either completes her only pass or we're in a deep hole.

So, if UConn ends up in a secure conference for athletics, that will mean Herbst is a good university president?

Reaction Score
Regardless, the university sits in a position where the decision making and forward progress of the institution is at a major crossroads, and you either have confidence going forward, whatever direction you choose, or you don't. It sure seems were in a position of confidence moving forward. You never know though, until the cows come home from Horsebarn Hill.

Very, very interesting times.

Reaction Score
So, if UConn ends up in a secure conference for athletics, that will mean Herbst is a good university president?

That was mostly said tongue in cheek. She does have jobs other than protecting the athletic programs.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

It will mean she did a good job in one of the responsibilities of a university president.

We know you're smart enough to know there's a fucckkkton of responsibilites and hats that a university president has to wear and this is probably the most visible.

I'm highly confident it was a tongue in cheek rhetorical question, but some posters and readers might take the bait and run this in to the ground.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That was mostly said tongue in cheek. She does have jobs other than protecting the athletic programs.

Scary that you and I had the same exact thought less than a minute apart.

Reaction Score
Considering she has already been caught flat-footed and got out-maneuvered by Syracuse and Pitt, the answer to your question is "yes". Some of us believe that what has taken 25 year to build and hundreds of million dollars to raise UConn from just another new england public university to where it is now academically and athletically is of some importance.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst is in total control and every department head is working late these days. It reminds me of a cushy coaching staff going through the motions before a Parcells or Lombardi shows up. People tend to be on time for their meetings!
If I already related this I apologize, but when I emailed Susan at 9:22am on a Sunday morning in August about the mis- spelled TV football commercial, her response came 4 minutes later at 9:26am thanking me and saying she would fix it. I expected nothing further, but she had Mike Enright email me throughout the day, fact finding and updating me. His last email to me was a detailed explaination of what had happened and what they were doing about it. It was sent at 10:53pm--on the same Sunday.
Think she doesn't have everyone's attention--or she's been sitting back? Think again. She is the commander in chief.

Reaction Score
Please Rumrunner. I don't believe you actually believe what you type. Even if we were there with a pile of money as bribes, we wouldn't get put in front of Pitt & SU. I think this is a poor choice by the ACC; but, hey, they have a ton of anaylsis & due diligence reports that I don't. It is what it is. Nothing done in the last 120 days could have made us a better choice.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
There's really no reasoning with RumRunner, Pudge. It's pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Talk is cheap. Leadership more than words. Hard not argue that either somebody has a very carefully constructed plan with no leaks, or we are playing from behind. If I had to wager, I would bet we are flat-footed and playing catch up. UC FB is very large state investment that could just disintegrate. I have nightmares of being the new Temple of the NorthEast in either a MAC level revised BE Conf. or an independent looking in from the outside. On the otherhand, we could be negotiating between conferences (ACC and Big10) and looking for the best deal available. At the end of the day we have a lucrative media market, and only the incompetent would fail to leverage that.

Reaction Score
Talk is cheap. Leadership is more than words. Hard not argue that either somebody has a very carefully constructed plan with no leaks, or we are playing from behind. If I had to wager, I would bet we are flat-footed and playing catch up. UC FB is very large state investment that could just disintegrate. I have nightmares of being the new Temple of the NorthEast in either a MAC level revised BE Conf. or an independent looking in from the outside. On the otherhand, we could be negotiating between conferences (ACC and Big10) and looking for the best deal available. At the end of the day we have a lucrative media market, and only the incompetent would fail to leverage that.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I feel confident in Herbst to get the job done but I can understand why some people are afraid we were caught off guard. I did read somewhere that while our talks with the ACC have intensified, we have been talking with them for a while now and the Pitt/Cuse news just pushed it into high gear.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Talk is cheap. Leadership is more than words. Hard not argue that either somebody has a very carefully constructed plan with no leaks, or we are playing from behind. If I had to wager, I would bet we are flat-footed and playing catch up. UC FB is very large state investment that could just disintegrate. I have nightmares of being the new Temple of the NorthEast in either a MAC level revised BE Conf. or an independent looking in from the outside. On the otherhand, we could be negotiating between conferences (ACC and Big10) and looking for the best deal available. At the end of the day we have a lucrative media market, and only the incompetent would fail to leverage that.

Debbie+Downer.jpg

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
is rumrunner a new calroidken????? chesus its fun reaidng your posts

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
The people who seem to think Herbst was caught flat footed, this makes absolutely no sense. I honestly don't see anything wrong with how our school is handling this situation. Its not the job of the president of one institution to know what back alley deals are being made by other institutions. We were dealt a blow and we have a competent president who has been working to get us in the best situation. Some people just find misery in anything, sheesh.

I'm actually curious to how many screen names Forte has

Reaction Score

No, it means if UConn is left on the island of misfit toys with the other BE rejects, she's a lousy president.

I'm not ready to say that, really. Wait and see what happens. Herbst has limited control over our fate. If she pulls it off though she will be a hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom