Inês Post Game | The Boneyard

Inês Post Game

Reaction Score
Who here would have predicted to see Inês at a postgame presser this early?

97D4FFDE-D021-43AC-B3E1-40EFA5281B9F.png

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Yes, difficult circumstance for her. Must say I probably wouldn't have performed as well as she did. AFTER some disastrous turnovers she DID make 3/4 foul shots, with the game on the line. I believe she has the guts to persevere and hope she becomes the asset we all want her to be. :)

Reaction Score
I hope this gives her the confidence to play great moving forward. Those FTs at the end were absolutely clutch and helped seal the win. My dream is that every UConn player, no matter how far down the bench, is able to excel and play the best game they have in them. I hope Ines feels great about being able to get the team to victory. There’s always room to improve and critique but I am happy for her. :)

Reaction Score
She had a rough game but made several critical foul shots when it mattered.
You saw things Ines has within her soul. She is tough inside, that's how she sank 2 critical free throws. She obviously, played decent basketball in Europe/ Azores. She has fundamentals. What she lacks is Uconn Defense and some Div 1 Experience. In games, especially a close game like this she'll learn.
This was a tough game. But those who rarely get into games early, got to start or play early. They were not perfect. They gave very very good minutes (reminding all of us no one is perfect).
This the time FANs ae separated from "Watchers". It's going to be a bumpy road from now to March. All those guaranteed wins --may not be THAT guaranteed.
Will Ines lead this team later this season? Probably not. Will she see lots of minutes? Probably not. But she will be a needed Point Guard. I can see games where a 3 is needed and Geno tells her---go make a 3.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
One additional comment on Ines, on a key play she almost executed. Late in the game, with UConn stuck on offense and needing a basket, Ines attacked the basket through traffic, hitting a beautiful left-handed layup. Unfortunately, it came just a split second after the shot clock expired. That too was a learning experience. Next time she’ll be a little quicker to recognize the opportunity.

Reaction Score
Ines was not only the “next man up”, but in this game she was also the “last man up.”
You are once again correct. She was NEXT and LAST, but at the end she was ----THE MAN, up.
Few things Ines did during this game surprised me.
I expected nerves, overly excited trying too had FOULS. I expect a 3 or 2. I expected good ball handling and passing.
I was a bit surprised, a Freshman had the internal fortitude to push away the normal, internal shaking, and made important Fouls. With a bit more game times, I'm hoping she finds he top place in the line up. More experienced Uconn players have blown fouls in similar spots.

Reaction Score
Great to hear from Ines. You can see Lou’s maturity (years + experience) in how she supports other players and jumped in to help Ines when English failed her.

There is so much to love about this team. The injury events have been ridiculous; I’m sure it’s tremendously difficult for them—basketball-wise and emotionally. What we saw on the court last night to end the game was a group of players who stepped up and did whatever they could to win the game.

Noticed that the players need more time with Ines as PG—her whip-around passes are very very quick and not everyone was ready for them.

Reaction Score
This was a trial-by-fire game for both Amari and Inês. Both did about as much as could be expected of them, but boy did they make some important plays when needed. I’m sure Inês didn’t think she’d be shooting clutch free throws for UConn this early on in her career! Glad she and everyone else on the team chose to go to Storrs!

Reaction Score
Ines was a key in this game, stepped up with 3 of 4 foul shots and a wiliness to break the press. She was playing at a faster pace than some of her teammates who were afraid of the hot potato and quick double teams of Carla's crusaders. Hoping for the fast return of our injured players. Our coaches need serious time showing our young players how to break a press and manage a clock. There were teaching moments galore. We grew a lot in this game. It was good for us and opposing coaches around the country.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Maybe this thread is the place to mention Geno's comments about Ines in his own postgame remarks. I thought they were (as usual) very insightful.

He mentioned specifically the in-bounds play immediately before her last pair of free throws. Geno said that he was glad that she cut hard to the ball, as instructed, to get it on the in-bounds toss. He said that showed that she wasn't afraid, and that's fortunate, because he can't teach her not to be afraid. He said, "she isn't smart yet", but he thought he could teach her that, whereas he couldn't teach the lack of fear. He mentioned a few defensive plays earlier in the third quarter -- one where she got a needless foul by being unnecessarily aggressive, and (after he yelled at her about that) another play where she gave a good Princeton shooter an open shot because she didn't want to commit another foul. But he made clear that those problems are correctable.

He also told a story about her recruitment. When he asked if she wanted to come to UConn, she immediately said yes. He said, "Do you even know where the school is located?" "No." "Do you know who else is on the team?" "No." "Are you sure you want to come here?" "Yes." He said her plane flight to the US took longer than her recruitment.

He was impressed with her willingness to venture into the unknown for an opportunity.

Reaction Score
He also told a story about her recruitment. When he asked if she wanted to come to UConn, she immediately said yes. He said, "Do you even know where the school is located?" "No." "Do you know who else is on the team?" "No." "Are you sure you want to come here?" "Yes." He said her plane flight to the US took longer than her recruitment.
Thanks for this! Bears replay. UConn WBB folklore henceforth. Likely a unique sequence of questions and responses across all athletes, all sports, all universities forever.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Great to hear from Ines. You can see Lou’s maturity (years + experience) in how she supports other players and jumped in to help Ines when English failed her.

There is so much to love about this team. The injury events have been ridiculous; I’m sure it’s tremendously difficult for them—basketball-wise and emotionally. What we saw on the court last night to end the game was a group of players who stepped up and did whatever they could to win the game.

Noticed that the players need more time with Ines as PG—her whip-around passes are very very quick and not everyone was ready for them.
I think that Ines was very happy for that support, she said to Lou after she finished for her, Thank You with a smile on her face. This is a very close nit team and they all show love and support towards each other.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom