Improving the GameDay Atmosphere: MORE UCMB PLEASE!!! | The Boneyard

Improving the GameDay Atmosphere: MORE UCMB PLEASE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I wrote this in another thread but I think they are deserving of their own dedicated thread. Has anyone else noticed the two incredible halftime shows put on by our UCMB?

Game 1 - a tribute to the World Cup '14. I know we have a full anti-futball guys on the 'Yard but playing the Brazilian music and outlining the World Cup trophy was a really cool tribute to the summer.

Game 2 - a tribute to the dual basketball championships of 2013-14. Began as an outline of a basketball court on the field and then proceeded to spell out "CHAMPS" and "2014". Complete with playing a bunch of champion-themed music.

Here's an idea: instead of playing an obnoxious sound byte of barking/growling dogs on 3rd down, how's about a UCMB led song? I'm sure they could whip up a variation of "Welcome to the Jungle". If not, I've heard them play that orchestra pump up song that they used to play before the team took the field (I can't remember the name of it).

College football sounds better with college bands. We have one of the best bands in the country. It only makes sense to incorporate them more into the game day atmosphere. So, instead of barking dogs on 3rd down. Instead of Coach D's Playlist. Instead of stupid Dance Cams and Kiss Cams. MORE UCMB PLEASE!

Reaction Score
Someone asked (from abroad) what are the positives of UConn Football in 2014.

My first answer would be the UConn Marching Band. (and I know that shows some generational age) My father (RIP) loved the band. They are particularly great this year; and you can just see these kids having fun and enjoying being/playing together. I love this about college football.

Reaction Score
I wrote this in another thread but I think they are deserving of their own dedicated thread. Has anyone else noticed the two incredible halftime shows put on by our UCMB?

Game 1 - a tribute to the World Cup '14. I know we have a full anti-futball guys on the 'Yard but playing the Brazilian music and outlining the World Cup trophy was a really cool tribute to the summer.

Game 2 - a tribute to the dual basketball championships of 2013-14. Began as an outline of a basketball court on the field and then proceeded to spell out "CHAMPS" and "2014". Complete with playing a bunch of champion-themed music.

Here's an idea: instead of playing an obnoxious sound byte of barking/growling dogs on 3rd down, how's about a UCMB led song? I'm sure they could whip up a variation of "Welcome to the Jungle". If not, I've heard them play that orchestra pump up song that they used to play before the team took the field (I can't remember the name of it).

College football sounds better with college bands. We have one of the best bands in the country. It only makes sense to incorporate them more into the game day atmosphere. So, instead of barking dogs on 3rd down. Instead of Coach D's Playlist. Instead of stupid Dance Cams and Kiss Cams. MORE UCMB PLEASE!
YES anything the UCMB could play would be better than the embarrassing (vomiting?) dog sounds.

Reaction Score
I said the same thing during the game, so tired of canned music an ads! I referenced another local team who, even on tv, the band could be heard at every break, no commercials, no giveaways just the band!

Dooley

Reaction Score
I said the same thing during the game, so tired of canned music an ads! I referenced another local team who, even on tv, the band could be heard at every break, no commercials, no giveaways just the band!

Would LOVE this at the Rent. Play a quick excerpt of our fight song after every 1st down. Play the full fight song at every UCONN score. Play a quick excerpt of some sort of pump up song on 3rd downs. How's about a UMCB led tribute to the "a little bit louder now" portion of the song "" (start at 3:25 of the video)?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Props to Stonybrook for bringing their band as well yesterday. one of the benefits of playing a local game for a change.

BTW, when did things like the wave go out of style at games?

Speaking of Stony Brook's band and waves, did you see the battling waves between SB and UCONN bands in the 2nd half after most of the fans either left or sought a shaded area to watch the game? SB's band waved upwards and UCMB waved downward. Was cool to see the bands engaged in the game and provide a lift to the atmosphere yesterday.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Step one: Pay someone to be in charge of all "audience interactions" on game days.

Until that happens, we will continue to rival some high schools.

Reaction Score

Just curious. You have a new coach, you just won two national championships in major sports, you are playing a major opponent in a mostly full stadium, on national television, and your halftime program is a tribute to the World Cup. A program where the US finished 1-1-1 and out of the money, and it was over seven weeks ago.

Shouldn't your first halftime show been a tribute to your basketball programs. Or something UConn related.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Just curious. You have a new coach, you just won two national championships in major sports, you are playing a major opponent in a mostly full stadium, on national television, and your halftime program is a tribute to the World Cup. A program where the US finished 1-1-1 and out of the money, and it was over seven weeks ago.

Shouldn't your first halftime show been a tribute to your basketball programs. Or something UConn related.

At the risk of offending the traditionalists and the pro-band people, my wife was in a major college FB MB, this has been on my radar for a while. IMO, the formal band program, pregame and halftime, not the stuff from the stands has needed a full makeover. It's just not as entertaining or engaging as it could and needs to be. The MB should be the catalyst for the engagement of the student section and thereby the entire crowd. The opening in particular has been a disjointed, limp noodle for years.

Reaction Score
I too would be glad to involve the band in more cheering activities. And, yes, the band is terrific and probably not sufficiently appreciated.

Whatever happens, the dog growling is a definite loser. Sat on the shade side yesterday and could not stand the growl. Far worse than on the sun side. Its unbearable.

Many fans in my section put their hands to their ears.

Tell Warde.

Reaction Score
At the risk of offending the traditionalists and the pro-band people, the formal band program, pregame and halftime has needed a full makeover.
If a tree fell in the forest.....
You've got to be kidding. Here's what I suggest. Fill the stadium as the band appears pre-game and it would be loud, rousing and inspiring. Playing to bleachers is what saps a lot of the energy.

Reaction Score
Props to Stonybrook for bringing their band as well yesterday. one of the benefits of playing a local game for a change.

BTW, when did things like the wave go out of style at games?

20 minutes ago.

Reaction Score
The band needs to play Iron Man on all 3rd downs. I'm not against the dog barking in theory on 3rd downs, but the current sound bite is horrible and our fans don't automatically associate it with standing and cheering like Welcome to the Jungle. Also, Diaco needs to pick Iron Maiden to get the crowd pumped, not Swedish House Mafia.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The band is great. Those kids are out there in August all week on blacktop practicing formations and it comes to game day and it feels as if UConn dislikes them as an inconvinience.

More band. The show/songs could use updating, but you need to make them feel appreciated enough to try new things for a reason.

Reaction Score
The band is great. Those kids are out there in August all week on blacktop practicing formations and it comes to game day and it feels as if UConn dislikes them as an inconvinience.

More band. The show/songs could use updating, but you need to make them feel appreciated enough to try new things for a reason.

My biggest issue with the band is the lack of situational awareness. Every time I hear them start a "stick in in chant" as the team crosses the 20 but it's now 4th down and an obvious FG situation, I wonder how they don't recognize that they shouldn't do it.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
If a tree fell in the forest.....
You've got to be kidding. Here's what I suggest. Fill the stadium as the band appears pre-game and it would be loud, rousing and inspiring. Playing to bleachers is what saps a lot of the energy.

I'm one of the 1500 or so who is. It's a tired, disjointed show. It's no reflection on the effort or musicianship of the members.

Reaction Score
Band is great and would love to hear them more. But, the stadium needs to eliminate the microphones in front of the band as it creates an echo effect across the stadium (whether the stadium is 1/2 filled or filled). It gets annoying after a while as every song sounds like a "musical round."

Reaction Score
As a former member of UCMB, I can say that we put our heart and souls into each performance and bust our behinds every week before each game. I can't speak for the rest of the band, but I was always a little upset when half time would roll around and half the stadium empties for consessions and the other half straight out didn't pay attention. I remember in 2004, the band was invited to play at the Dome in Syracuse and I remember getting more fan interactions, albeit boos, there then we did at our own stadium.

I make sure I'm there for pre-game, half time and I even stay for the post game performance and to sing with the band at the end. The band absolutely needs to be utilized more. I like the small pods they send out throughout the parking lot to play for tailgaters and this should definitely be done more. I can say the band is probably one of the most passionate groups in the stands and deserves more air time if you will.

Reaction Score

How do you go to Ann Arbor and play one of the biggest games in the program's history ... and play "The State of Massachusetts" for the half time show????

Song selection is VERY IMPORTANT! There just seems to be more emphasis on the music itself ... as opposed to how music can support the common athletic theme.

I love the UCMB (my daughter is a sax player) and they put in hours of hard work ... but a little thought placed into song selection would go a long way!

Dooley

Reaction Score
As a former member of UCMB, I can say that we put our heart and souls into each performance and bust our behinds every week before each game. I can't speak for the rest of the band, but I was always a little upset when half time would roll around and half the stadium empties for consessions and the other half straight out didn't pay attention. I remember in 2004, the band was invited to play at the Dome in Syracuse and I remember getting more fan interactions, albeit boos, there then we did at our own stadium.

I make sure I'm there for pre-game, half time and I even stay for the post game performance and to sing with the band at the end. The band absolutely needs to be utilized more. I like the small pods they send out throughout the parking lot to play for tailgaters and this should definitely be done more. I can say the band is probably one of the most passionate groups in the stands and deserves more air time if you will.

Spot on. The band leads the cheers for the stadium and adds to the atmosphere of college games. We need more of our band, not less. I can't stand the PC Richard whistles, Subway ads, Kiss Cams, Dance Cams, Coach D's Playlist, barking dogs and the muzak that is continuously pumped over our stadium PA. We have a great band and they should be a larger part of gamedays. It makes me mad too that there are only about 5K in their seats when the band plays their pre-game and halftime shows. The band is there all day heat, rain, snow or cold and they do an excellent job of trying to get the fans engaged. Would love to get rid of all of the minor league promotions, t-shirt contests, and muzak and figure out a way to get the band more involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom