Important recruit! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Important recruit!

Reaction Score
I thought CV missed a golden opportunity yesterday. 4-14 with 7 turnovers on a day he needed to be our leader. He always plays hard, right now, he needs to play well. Hope he starts to take avantage of the opportunity handed to him by injuries.

Yep. I think the pieces will fall with CV next season without Jalen. That’s not to say anything bad about Jalen as a player or person but just from a leadership standpoint. I look at Jalen and see a great player/athlete. I look at CV and see energy, emotion, and un-tapped leadership. It will be reassuring to know he has been given the keys to take command of the ship. He’s a smart kid and vocal about his play and how the team performs. Once he knows “this my ship” to run with I think he and Al will tear it up with Bouk and Gaffney. CV needs to set a great example for the young up and coming blood.

Reaction Score
Hat Tip to Vital as I am with Mau. I was never high on this kid. Hated his cocky attitude, starring at the other team when he hits a three when we were down 30 last year. The first quarter of the season I was also down on him but man has he gained me as a fan. I always loved how hard he played never questioned his heart but I questioned his smarts and ability to be a consistent three point shooter and not kill the team on bad shots.

He has been conisistent from three all year. For a while now he has played smart basketball and didn't try to do things he can't do. He has battled on the boards and last game against Temple he just balled out like i never seen him do before. No Jalen so I get he tried to do too much yesterday but as long as he doesn't try to do too much again and stays within his game I look forward to being a big fan.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Great start to the recruiting needs for Dan Hurley and the staff. Really excited about the backcourt adding Bouknight and Gaffney 2 taller, athletic, shooters who can get to the rim and look to me like they could be high impact on the defensive end too. Add Akok to this class and early on we have kids and talents we need really bad who could potentially produce immediately upon arrival. I believe as things unravel on the mens college hoops scene there will be players who will be able to help us with required experience from other programs and I think there will be a win or 2, depending on availability in this department.

Having said that I am now concerned with keeping one in particular at home. CV has played his way in to my heart as a fan, he's been listening and turning himself into quite the player, potentially even a leader of sorts. I know the kid sold me because I doubted he would be able to follow the new regime, change his out of control demeanor and turn himself into the player he has been all year. The crow I eat I devour with a smile. He's been really good, even with 7 TO's yesterday he was still going to the ground late to get a loose rebound and laying it up. He was getting rebounds in the jungle of big men again and winning the battle. His inspiring play is something I would love for Gaffney and Bouknight to play with and see while on the court with him or from the sidelines waiting for their chance to do the same. He wanted to get a look last year by the NBA but found out everything he needed to do and along with the things Dan Hurley is teaching him he's making himself worthy of a look at some point, or a great Euro career. Question is does he want to do that right away or come back and have a super senior season to make them look even harder at the young man?

Hate to say it but his decision will be really important on expectations for 19-20. I want him to do what's best for him he deserves that I'm just hoping he's a 4 year Husky.
Exactly!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
He's improved his play this year with better decision-making but he was flat out bad yesterday.
What an appropriate avatar for these last two comments

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
CV is the kind of kid you want on your team. Period. If I were Hurley, I'd be telling him that he needs to work his handle. If he can tighten that up, and work on distributing the ball a bit he will become a lot more desirable at the next level. Not saying NBA necessarily but higher level Euro for sure.

Reaction Score
He's improved his play this year with better decision-making but he was flat out bad yesterday.

If a stat line of 13pts/9reb/6ast/3steals is “flat out bad” perhaps you need to re-assess your expectations. And his 7 TOs were really only 4 as 2 were lame travel calls and 1 was an unfortunate slip on the floor after making a nice steal.

I’m a CV apologist and not afraid to admit it. Flat out bad is a horrible take

Reaction Score
If a stat line of 13pts/9reb/6ast/3steals is “flat out bad” perhaps you need to re-assess your expectations. And his 7 TOs were really only 4 as 2 were lame travel calls and 1 was an unfortunate slip on the floor after making a nice steal.

He was 4-14 with 7 turnovers. That's bad any way you slice it.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
CV knows that Hurley loves his effort and his improvement since the previous regime, and will continue to get plenty of playing time as probably a captain. I believe that CV will be back next year to continue his improvement and to get the degree. It seems like he listens to coach, and why not give it another shot to make the tournament?

Reaction Score
Where would he go? He's 6'1". His only pro position, even in Europe, is point guard. It's clear that Hurley has been giving him more ball handling duties, and now, with Jalen out and possibly AG, he's doing more of it than ever. He wasn't good at it yesterday, but that's where he needs to develop. He's a catch and shoot shooter as well, which is fine if you are 6'5". He has to learn to shoot off of his own lateral dribble, which both Jalen and especially Al, can do.

I am also impressed with how he bought in, and has improved his play. But Vital isn't going anywhere. He's set to be the starting SG on this team, and might get some PG duty as well, which he needs.
Very good evaluation of CV. I also think he would benefit immensely staying one more year. At 6' 1" - 6' 2" he needs to improve on his ball handling and running the point to have any chance of making the NBA. CV will be a great role model for the incoming recruits.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He wasn't good, if not truly bad. I'm a convert, and I am rooting for him. But the reality is that previously our opponents focused on stopping Jalen first, Gilbert second and CV third (not counting Carlton). Yesterday he got a taste of what it's like to be the focus of the defense and to have more ball handling and distribution responsibilities. It was a good learning experience. He was very inefficient. Scoring is a lot harder when somebody else isn't creating open looks for you. Still, this is the skillset he needs to develop to become a professional.

Reaction Score

Yeah but without AG or JA it was a tough day for him from the beginning. Neither he or T smith are people who we want breaking the pressure D or even running the show. All in all they worked hard to make things happen, partially Memphis helped too, I can only credit them for their effort. But I agree, a couple of times he found his old self but in this game it was going to happen I'm afraid. Also agree right now NBA a huge reach because of his shortcomngs which are requirements to play there. But damn this kid amazes me with his heart so much like an Adrien which I though never would even get a cup of coffee I can't leave him completely out. Just hope he gets to have fun playing in euro after his Husky career because there will be a team out there who's fans will fall in love with him. And others who will hate him LOL

Reaction Score
CV being a pro-level* player is the hottest take on this thread imo, and I love him as a player for us. Just a wild take.

*Pro being NBA or legit Europe league

I don't think too many actually believe he could get to that level. Why say no though we have him for another year hopefully and want him to work his tail off in his own beliefs. It's a huge reach but he's a great kid, let the dream live on.

Reaction Score
I don't think too many actually believe he could get to that level. Why say no though we have him for another year hopefully and want him to work his tail off in his own beliefs. It's a huge reach but he's a great kid, let the dream live on.

Fair point, I just thought that the whole testing the waters thing last year was so bizarre and un/misinformed that I guess I don't want to experience it again lol. He sure has improved a ton since then though, but still, he's not long enough to be a pro shooting guard and doesn't have the handle or first step to be a PG.

Reaction Score
Put me with the group that couldn't stand the way CV played. Have to give Hurley credit for his part in turning him around.He takes fewer bad shots and as a result has a higher shooting percentage.
He always played hard and rebounded well so I don't see a change there. He lacks the skills necessary for an NBA career but he will get paid to play basketball somewhere.

Reaction Score
Have been a CV fan from the beginning but I do understand the odds of him making an NBA roster are slim. However Vital is such a hard worker and gym rat he might surprise. Christian has improved every season since he arrived on campus. I expect him to come back next year as an improved ball handler and we are going to need that. CV doesn’t have to look far for inspiration. His former coach made a good living in the league despite his limitations. Once again odds are very slim but (insert dumb and dumber meme)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

What's up with the aggressive and insistent tone with which you post about him?
Are you being paid or paying off a debt to someone so that you're required to push your point of view the way you do?
You had an interesting take some months ago that if he was putting up good numbers, it meant that this team wasn't all that good. Everything else is just a retread, as though you are desperate to control the narrative toward some eventual claim about being right.
Somebody just sliced it a different way, and it didn't look too bad, so you just ignored those numbers, and repeated yours as though they were the only plausible truth.
If you gave it a rest, we'd still get it.

Reaction Score
Need to hit the grad transfer market HARD when Jalen leaves. Look at Louisville! That Cunningham kid is their leader and one of the reasons why Louisville is ranked and Chris Mack is ACC Coach of the Year. Hurley will attract better transfers than Ollie. CV for Captain!

Reaction Score
One of my favorite Huskies of all-time....a lot of people were frustrated with him last year due to his TOs and bad shot selection. I always took offense to it because through the good and bad I knew this kid was the type every program needs. Gives 110% every game. He’s also super cool with any students who want to chat him up on campus. Definitely one of the friendliest players I met in my 4 years. Love this kid and want nothing more than another year with him.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I’m somewhere in the middle, I guess.

Like Mau, i absolutely think we need him back as a 4 year guy, a voice of experience who plays with intensity every game. However, his drives to the hoop still are hit and miss. And he’s certainly not a PG, not enough PG handle or creativity.

But damn, he plays hard and wants to win. And he works hard to improve, as this year shows. A great example for the new flock.

Reaction Score
What's up with the aggressive and insistent tone with which you post about him?
Are you being paid or paying off a debt to someone so that you're required to push your point of view the way you do?
You had an interesting take some months ago that if he was putting up good numbers, it meant that this team wasn't all that good. Everything else is just a retread, as though you are desperate to control the narrative toward some eventual claim about being right.
Somebody just sliced it a different way, and it didn't look too bad, so you just ignored those numbers, and repeated yours as though they were the only plausible truth.
If you gave it a rest, we'd still get it.
He didn't play well the last game, that isn't a controversial opinion. He isn't going to play in the NBA, that isn't a controversial opinion. If he's one of the main guys we rely on the team wouldn't be all that good this season, we aren't all that good this season.

I like Vital, he always plays hard, and he's improved this season. He should be a 6th man type player on a good UConn team. How is that controversial?

People tore Vital apart in the past, now people are talking about him running point and playing in the NBA. It's typical nonsense with this board where there is no in-between. He's a solid player, who has improved and plays tough but he's limited. He's not meant to be one of the top players on any really good team.

What's up with your role on the boneyard, do you not have any grandkids to discipline?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He didn't play well the last game, that isn't a controversial opinion. He isn't going to play in the NBA, that isn't a controversial opinion. If he's one of the main guys we rely on the team wouldn't be all that good this season, we aren't all that good this season.

I like Vital, he always plays hard, and he's improved this season. He should be a 6th man type player on a good UConn team. How is that controversial?

People tore Vital apart in the past, now people are talking about him running point and playing in the NBA. It's typical nonsense with this board where there is no in-between. He's a solid player, who has improved and plays tough but he's limited. He's not meant to be one of the top players on any really good team.

What's up with your role on the boneyard, do you not have any grandkids to discipline?
I said nothing about controversy, so I can't really respond as t o whether or not your post was controversial.

I asked why your tone is insistent and aggressively so regarding CV.

As to grandkids, I like to play with them and support them in being healthy, loving, inquisitive, energetic, kind-hearted, lively, generous,and authentically themselves.

EDIT: You're right. I was being mean to you. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. It's none of my business if you are bothered by posters overrating CV when you've already gone to the trouble of pointing out his limitations. When I communicate toward you the way I did, I make your job that much harder, and that's not fair.

Last edited:

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
More than any player on the team, he epitomizes the way Hurley wants his players to compete.

That doesn’t mean just playing all-out hard and with effort during a game . It also means playing smart on the court and putting in the time outside of practice to develop your skill set.

Vital checks off each of these points.

Plus he’s becoming a leader, which isn’t something that can be taught, it’s either there or it isn’t.

Agree that him staying next year (along with AG) is critical for solidifying the culture that Hurley is trying to instill.
I agree with this, but do you really think that CV or AG have anywhere they could realistically leave Uconn to go? Some guys will have significant decreases in minutes next year, also interested to see how this pans out. What i'm hoping is it creates competition and urgency for certain players and makes everyone better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom