IMO UCONN looked very beatable on Sunday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

IMO UCONN looked very beatable on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Had a rare chance to watch the game from some really close seats at Gampel yesterday and it was quite an eye opener. Spent a good amount of time just watching Stewie both on and off the ball. I really got the feeling that she can score at will-maybe it was just the way Louisville couldn't match up with her (ok, I know no one can match up with her)-but it was just amazing. There is no doubt that either she or Geno took the gas off her scoring pedal with midway thru the 2nd half. If I have to guess, the game will be just as lopsided in Louisville in March. Bring on the Irish!!!

Reaction Score
I am not stirring the pot at all. It was my opinion after watching the game..be honest with your post not just drink the Kool-aide......I did not say UCONN should have lost, but that was not there best performance on Sunday....Do not ignore the truth PAP49cba

Put down your pomp pomps...

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
jsloanjr doesn't like to stir the pot but it would appear that indulging in it is more to his/her liking.

That being said, TBS acknowledged what Geno would be focusing on next practice -- which is the measure of a good student and a better teacher: they understand what was successful and they recognize where they need to improve.

With all that, they never were threatened by the #4 team in the country....

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
It's tough for me, given the accomplishments of this team, and the result on Sunday, to believe the notion that they looked "very" beatable - unless the opposition comes outside WCBB.

Reaction Score
Sparky is correct - it seems a common theory on part of the the ESPN shills - I'm sorry, I meant announcers - that UCONN will NOT get any better, but any team they are playing will improve by leaps and bounds
I don't know why people get so caught up on this. It's not the first time it has been mentioned. It's not like the ESPN shills as you called them said UConn would get worse or wouldn't get better. I think you're reading too much into it. All they said is Louisville would improve, which they probably will. That statement has nothing to do with UConn.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know why people get so caught up on this. It's not the first time it has been mentioned. It's not like the ESPN shills as you called them said UConn would get worse or wouldn't get better. I think you're reading too much into it. All they said is Louisville would improve, which they probably will. That statement has nothing to do with UConn.

If you're going to give credit to a coach (Walz) for making adjustments and devising new strategies for the next meeting with (and they called this out specifically) UCONN , then you need to acknowledge that UCONN just might be doing the same thing! Lobo and Ward were too busy making fun of Stef's orange legs, though.

Reaction Score
BTW, I did not see the game live, but it just seemed that if Louisville could have hit a few more shots the Big MO might have turned. Our post players seemd very slow to the ball in the paint and the help defense was missing. How many rebounds did UCONN miss becuse of being out of position or Louisville wanted it more? Rebounding is ATTITUDE and TOUGHNESS.I am sure geno will address this this week. But, it was a good win by 17 points against a very good Louisvulle team....They did not play their "A" game either. Plus, they were missin Bria Smith?...March 3rd should be fun.

Breanna was awesome and so was MO Jeff.Sunday was not our best game and if they play like that in a few weeks in KY, we are in trouble....I am praying for KML's speedy recovery this week...Time is on our side.
One can only scratch one's head in response to the assertion that this team looked "very beatable" on Sunday. The disparity in talent on the floor was huge, and , barring multiple injuries, that reality isn't going away no matter how many times they face Louisville. When Morgan Tuck went down for the season, they became at least theoretically beatable, something difficult to imagine even in theory prior to that event. They still have the best starting five (and the best coach) in the country. Because injuries, foul trouble, and fatigue are all parts of the game, and because the bench is now woefully thin (here come The Protectors of the Faith to call me a whiner!), it certainly is no longer inconceivable that they could be beaten, but I doubt we'll find that out until we play ND, the second best team (with the second best coach), probably in the championship final. But against Louisville? They missed a lot of shots, took the foot off the gas at the end, were never really pressured, and cruised to a 17 point win that was never, ever in doubt.

Reaction Score
The sky is falling... The sky is falling...
Yeah-we play the #4 team in the country, who has won like 19 games in a row and beat them by 17 points and we looked beatable? Maybe with respect to all the other top ten victories we've had, but doubt even that. Like the announcer said, put Stewie out there with thre others and UConn would still win! LOL

Reaction Score
If you're going to give credit to a coach (Walz) for making adjustments and devising new strategies for the next meeting with (and they called this out specifically) UCONN , then you need to acknowledge that UCONN just might be doing the same thing! Lobo and Ward were too busy making fun of Stef's orange legs, though.
Why? And says who? The commentators are just filling air time. They could say whatever they want. They're under no obligation to stroke our egos as fans. Should they have just said Louisville is going to get better, but so is UConn, so don't bother tuning in next time because the result will be the same? UConn has beaten up on everyone they've played. It's kind of pointless to say they're going to get better. That's like saying water is going to get more wet.

Reaction Score
Lets see for being a great coach, he still didn't have any kind of answer for Stewie, and Moriah gives him a new problem. I don't think he's going to find any answers, until Stewie, and Moriah leave for the WNBA, and then all the coaches will have the answer.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Why? And says who? The commentators are just filling air time. They could say whatever they want. They're under no obligation to stroke our egos as fans. Should they have just said Louisville is going to get better, but so is UConn, so don't bother tuning in next time because the result will be the same? UConn has beaten up on everyone they've played. It's kind of pointless to say they're going to get better. That's like saying water is going to get more wet.

JMO.

I have yet to find a set of ESPN WCBB commentators that I like.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Sparky is correct - it seems a common theory on part of the the ESPN shills - I'm sorry, I meant announcers - that UCONN will NOT get any better, but any team they are playing will improve by leaps and bounds
But the team that the announcers NEVER get tired of telling us is "a lot better now" than when they played UConn is Stanford. (Yeah, the same Stanford that looked awful against Washington!)

Reaction Score
I am not stirring the pot at all. It was my opinion after watching the game..be honest with your post not just drink the Kool-aide.I did not say UCONN should have lost, but that was not there best performance on Sunday....Do not ignore the truth PAP49cba

Put down your pomp pomps...

You accuse others- but are you being fair? Were you listening to the game at all?

In the 1st half when KML was in -we annihilated them on the glass. If you saw KML in the 2nd half she played a bit- but she was badly favoroing her left arm/elbow. She was basically playing wiht one hand. So let's get this straight- you bring up how Louisville was missing Bria SMith but not one word about KML's injury in the 1st half - and then how bad she looked in 2nd half- and not one word about Banks which if both healthy would allow us to go 8 deep instead of 6.5 deep?

Reaction Score
It's tough for me, given the accomplishments of this team, and the result on Sunday, to believe the notion that they looked "very" beatable - unless the opposition comes outside WCBB.

The opposition wouldn't need to come from outside wcbb. Louisville wasn't the only game I watched that day. I also watched Notre Dame. That's a VERY good team. One reason I feel comfortable about most teams is that I know that if UConn plays well, the others don't stand a chance. That's not necessarily the case with the Irish. The Huskies could play well, and still lose if ND runs machine-like as they did the other day. High defensive intensity while not accumulating fouls is a tough high wire act, but it's what UConn's going to need to do to control ND.

Reaction Score
The opposition wouldn't need to come from outside wcbb. Louisville wasn't the only game I watched that day. I also watched Notre Dame. That's a VERY good team. One reason I feel comfortable about most teams is that I know that if UConn plays well, the others don't stand a chance. That's not necessarily the case with the Irish. The Huskies could play well, and still lose if ND runs machine-like as they did the other day. High defensive intensity while not accumulating fouls is a tough high wire act, but it's what UConn's going to need to do to control ND.

I totally agree with you. Notre Dame is by far the team that will give UConn the biggest test. They matchup well at every position with Achonwa and Braker in the post, McBride, Loyd, and Allen in the backcourt and Reimer, Wright, and Mabrey coming off the bench. They go a true 9 deep with solid production from all. If they meet in the NCAA Tournament it will be a game for the ages.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I think one of the things we have to keep in mind in every game UConn play is if they keep the pressure on and don't let up and by let up I mean calling off the press they can win by a lot more then they have been winning by. There hasn't been a game this year where I was concerned about losing.

What we need to do now is get healthy. KML and BB need to get healthy. Breanna will carry this team and no body can stop her. It was mentioned that Breanna was Diana at 6'4. Well shes beginning to look like it.

You look at the game and we shot the ball poorly. We played great defense. LVille had a couple of surprises in players who shot the ball well and we were up over 20 before calling off the dogs. This team can score as many points as they want to if the keep the pressure on. MoJeff is unreal and getting better. When we get healthy its not going to be pretty for opponets.

As far as ND. They beat us last season when we were not healthy but a basket or two except for the OT game We beat them by over 15 when we were healthy. Don't forget we have 3 freshman. MoJeff and Breanna aren't playing like they did last season. UConn will beat ND by 15+ if we play them again.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
jsloanjr: PM me. I have some great ocean front property in Arizona that you may be interested in.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

Good point. The Irish are indeed formidable. Picking nits, I think my main objection was to the word "very", as is "very beatable". As you say, if ND is really rolling, it's gonna take a high-quality UConn performance to beat 'em, particularly on D. But, "very" beatable? I just didn't see that.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Uconn never even trailed for a second in this game. All five starters scored in double figures. The overall performance was phenomenal.

The OP has a tendency of making the needy posts of someone who wants attention. I've noticed a trend to the positive lately, but this is an egregious regression to his historical behavior. More's the pity.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I totally agree with you. Notre Dame is by far the team that will give UConn the biggest test. They matchup well at every position with Achonwa and Braker in the post, McBride, Loyd, and Allen in the backcourt and Reimer, Wright, and Mabrey coming off the bench. They go a true 9 deep with solid production from all. If they meet in the NCAA Tournament it will be a game for the ages.

Every position? Braker versus ?

ND is an outstanding offensive team; so is UConn. A match-up will likely be decided by which team is better defensively. ND is not yet a very good defensive team, a point McGraw herself has acknowledged: "I think we're pretty good," McGraws says. "We're really good offensively. I think that's the thing. We're not able to change the game with our defense and that's a big concern."

Although this UConn team has weaknesses on defense, it also has the ability to change the game by protecting the rim (blocking shots) and with Moriah's tenacious defense and steals.

Reaction Score
You accuse others- but are you being fair? Were you listening to the game at all?

In the 1st half when KML was in -we annihilated them on the glass. If you saw KML in the 2nd half she played a bit- but she was badly favoroing her left arm/elbow. She was basically playing wiht one hand. So let's get this straight- you bring up how Louisville was missing Bria SMith but not one word about KML's injury in the 1st half - and then how bad she looked in 2nd half- and not one word about Banks which if both healthy would allow us to go 8 deep instead of 6.5 deep?
I'm convinced KML was inserted in the second half primarily as a decoy. Geno was aware she probably couldn't do much but knew Walz couldn't ignore her either. She offered at least as much offense as Chong would have produced but absorbed a defender in a way Chong wouldn't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom