IMO Saniya Chong is playing just fine.....criticism unfair... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

IMO Saniya Chong is playing just fine.....criticism unfair...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
He only gave her 3 minutes -- and she didn't have to guard Sims. The other guards could have guarde Sims while she was in.
Obviously many points about that.
  • First, if Saniya's in it may well be to give Bria or MoJeff a rest, so there are may well be only one other guard in the game at that point, not "guards."
  • Who a player starts off guarding is one thing, but after a screen or transfer around the perimeter guards have to switch off. It doesn't take much for an experienced ball handler and decent 3-pt shooter to work a screen to find the defender she wants to go against.
  • Sims would likely have tried actively to "find" the less experienced freshman for a foul, as she played the whole game looking to get fouled with some crazy out of control shots.
  • Sims saw action from multiple defenders during the game, though it was often a herding action toward a post player.
  • UConn has been playing a lot of zone this year, which precludes a one-on-one situation with a picked defender, and even if that was not the main defense in the Baylor game, you have to have the personnel in to switch things up in key moments.
And lastly, as the troll noted during the thread on the Baylor game action, UConn's bench players are terrible and have never seen any meaningful minutes in a big game, so how could Saniya be in there? Gotta glue'em to that bench.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'm sure he absolutely meant it too since she was in for such long stretches against top opponents, and he'd certainly want a player in there who couldn't play defense at all so that Stanford wouldn't feel bad. It's the same with Stewie, who he's always saying doesn't have a clue about playing defense, so when three no-good defenders like Stewie, Chong, and KLM are on the court at the same time, that's when the opponents have been lighting the Huskies up for 70 to 80 points.
There you go, Dobbs, using sarcasm again. You are getting to be a regular Doug Piranha!

Reaction Score
Obviously many points about that.

• [ ]First, if Saniya's in it may well be to give Bria or MoJeff a rest, so there are may well be only one other guard in the game at that point, not "guards."
    [ ]Who a player starts off guarding is one thing, but after a screen or transfer around the perimeter guards have to switch off. It doesn't take much for an experienced ball handler and decent 3-pt shooter to work a screen to find the defender she wants to go against.

[ ]Sims would likely have tried actively to "find" the less experienced freshman for a foul, as she played the whole game looking to get fouled with some crazy out of control shots.
    [ ]Sims saw action from multiple defenders during the game, though it was often a herding action toward a post player.

[ ]UConn has been playing a lot of zone this year, which precludes a one-on-one situation with a picked defender, and even if that was not the main defense in the Baylor game, you have to have the personnel in to switch things up in key moments.

Don't take this the wrong way my friend - nearly all of us UCONN fans and love these players past and present to death. But I say this-- I think you are a very angry poster. But that's okay. To each his own. I do disagree with much of what you said (not all) but it's unimprotant and the game is long over. Just a few points:

Did you really think when I meant "guards" you couldn't deduce I didn't want to type out "Mo Jeff and Bria" then after I typed their names out you expected me to go on to say when one of them is out they would be the one to guard to Sims and then Chong would guard the other? I had to spell that out that one of the two who predominantly guarded Sims would be in the game with Chong when I referred to Mo Jeff and Bria as "guards?" Really?

Secondly, I know you and sawx got into a battle. You know you're reasoning of Chong not playing is extremely similar to his? He spoke of Chong's inexerperience when someone posted to bring in Chong. And here is what you said: "Sims would likely have tried actively to "find" the less experienced freshman for a foul . . ." Yet you title the thread about Saniya. Sawx on the thread you just referenced was agreeing with you regarding Saniya!

Third, sawx did say the bench of Stokes and Banks are "good players." Yet you are making a joke "about "the troll and the bench players not being any good" in a sarcastic manner. Sawx- like you - thinks they are good - at least on that thread. He just didn't want to see them (3 of them) in the game. Geno didn't want to see two of them in the game and it sure sounds like you didn't want to see Saniya in the game. So who are you "revolting" against?

Anyhow I'm done with this thread. Let's go Huskies!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Some don't suffer the stupidity of others well. Dobbs, however, I think has been very patient. I don't think he is angry at all.

Last edited:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Too bad there is not a Professional Psychologist posting on The BoneYard, for surely he or she would see and passionately proclaim that Dodds is filled with humor, not anger. Just saying...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Icebear said:
Some don't the stupidity of others well. Dobbs, however, I think has been very patient. I don't think he is angry at all.

Did you mean to say, "Some don't take the stupidity of others well"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Did you mean to say, "Some don't suffer the stupidity of others well"
Nah, I had typed in "suffer" but somehow it got dropped. Thanks for catching that.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Don't take this the wrong way my friend - nearly all of us UCONN fans and love these players past and present to death. But I say this-- I think you are a very angry poster.
We can all get in to throwing epithets around, and I could do so for you with a few choice adjectives, but the BY mods usually try to discourage posters like you from trying to sidestep the facts that are given to you by using innuendos. By all means, stoop away. Angry, frustrated, yeah, yeah. Those things can come from neuronically challenged posts.

Sorry if I wasn't astute enough to understand that your inability to type out names somehow meant that I should understand what you meant and that it somehow meant anything. Again as noted, Sims is the type of player that requires two guards (and post players eventually) to give her some attention together, and there is a lot of switching off during the action that can force a second guard to be the main defender on her at any one moment. Only in your world of video games with strict one-on-one matchups is there a "predominant defender" that is glued to Sims all the time.

Now since you are the sawx champion, let's just say that anyone who posts during a game thread such things as "Who? Chong a freshman? Stokes or Banks who have zero meaningful minutes in their lives?" in commenting on the use of bench players in the Baylor game, and that followed it up by ranting at everyone who disagreed with him, "Oh and by the way I have forgotten more about this game then you will ever know. Don't stoop to calling names you look like a child." So perhaps even your friend sawxsie would think that calling other posters "angry" is a little childish, though he's probably already forgotten he said that since he seems to have forgotten so much. And if you really believe that Sawx believes that two players who have never gotten, as he says, any meaningful minutes are, as you say "good players," I do think a visit to the pharmacy might be in order to take care of the strange delusions.

As to whether Saniya should have been "trusted" to handle Sims, I will certainly go with whatever Geno believed on that point. She was probably too inexperienced for that particular matchup. That does not mean however that she is an "underperformer" as Sawx has claimed or that she has not seen big minutes in a lot of big games this season. It just means she's a freshman and needs a bit more seasoning before she can be asked to play any major role in containing Odyssey Sims. That's no crime or indictment.

But I still hope there's a place in the world for us angry old men with our Husky clad ties and our radical plans.

Reaction Score
Dobbs you just cant give it up can you? HOW PATHETIC!!!! You are misquoting me so stop. If you happened to read the post after I said I mistyped and meant to say "zero minutes in meaningful games" which applied to the Baylor game. And as far as "I have forgotten more about this game then you will ever know" that is true. If you happen to read in this very thread I said that Saniya Chong is "way too tlented a player to have stats like that" but I don't think she is "good"? Then I talked up Kiah and said "If she remains confident she will be unstoppable"! DONT PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH AND MAKE STUFF UP. Your the one that needs to go to the pharmacy my friend. We agreed one time to drop this and you just cant seem to do it. Both Geno and Chong herself stated that she was "underperforming" but you cant accept that. The very person we are argueing about agrees with me and Geno the person who watches that person the most also agrees with me and you still cant admit that YOU ARE WRONG. The definition of INSANITY is doing the same thing{in this case winning the argument} over and over and expecting different results{in this case you acknowledging you ARE WRONG} so this is the end for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer