IMO Saniya Chong is playing just fine.....criticism unfair... | The Boneyard

IMO Saniya Chong is playing just fine.....criticism unfair...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Geno recently said he wants to see more improvement from Saniya Chong. He went on to add that she has hit a bit of a "plateau", which is "natural" for a freshman. Some BY posters, IMO, added to Geno's analysis w/ opinions not entirely based on facts. ;) Here are Chong's stats to date:

1. She has played 396 minutes, an average of almost 19 per game. That really doesn't allow for someone who was playing high school ball last year to adjust to the college game. Especially as played by UConn.
2. Saniya is shooting 34.5% from 3 pt, 64.3% from the field (other than 3 pt) and 81% from the free throw line.
3. She has 16 turnovers in those 396 minutes. One every 24.75 minutes.
4. Chong has 41 rebounds, 6 blocks and 18 steals w/ only 19 fouls.
5. She has 33 assists vs. 16 turnovers for a ratio of 2.06
6. Other than the game she was sick, she has played in all 21 UConn victories.

Geno is never happy and always pushes everybody to improve, even Stewie. Good for him. IMO, Saniya has exceeded expectations and has had to play more minutes, earlier in games, due to injuries. I think she has done really, really well. One final note, the game is MUCH harder to play than it looks from the couch. :rolleyes:

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
In the last 5 games that Saniya has played in her offensive numbers are NOT FINE. She has played 74minutes, scored a total of 8pts, and has only 8 fg attempts. She is way too talented a player to have stats like that.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
In the last 5 games that Saniya has played in her offensive numbers are NOT FINE. She has played 74minutes, scored a total of 8pts, and has only 8 fg attempts. She is way too talented a player to have stats like that.

My feeling is that she has "hit a wall," as the saying goes, as do many freshmen. Even Stewie had her problems at this point last year. And I seem to remember that Stewie turned out okay by the time the NCAA tournament came along.

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score

Last game MoJeff had 2 pts, Stewie had 37...game before that Stef had 3 pts, Stewie had 29...against Memphis MoJeff had 3 pts...I guess I look at what else they did in those games. Overall, Saniya has been a pleasant surprise. I prefer her to defer to the "hot hand" like Stewie or Bria, rather than jack up shot after shot... she will shoot more soon enough, but in the mean time she is playing fine, IMO...:)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2. Saniya is shooting 34.5% from 3 pt, 64.3% from the field (other than 3 pt) and 81% from the free throw line.

In the last 5 games .....She has played 74minutes, scored a total of 8pts, and has only 8 fg attempts.
There's where I think Geno's problem with Chong is. She is not attempting to produce up to what he knows she can do.

Reaction Score
Last game MoJeff had 2 pts, Stewie had 37...game before that Stef had 3 pts, Stewie had 29...against Memphis MoJeff had 3 pts...I guess I look at what else they did in those games. Overall, Saniya has been a pleasant surprise. I prefer her to defer to the "hot hand" like Stewie or Bria, rather than jack up shot after shot... she will shoot more soon enough, but in the mean time she is playing fine, IMO...:)

Ok in that same 5 game span she has averaged 1 rebound, 1.8assists. and 1.2 steals. She is a much better player than that and has been underperforming lately no matter what you look at. Also everyone is going to have an off game but when that continues for a significant period of time as it has for Chong something needs to be addressed.

Reaction Score
There's where I think Geno's problem with Chong is. She is not attempting to produce up to what he knows she can do.

I absolutely agree. Geno's problem lies in the fact that she has become less aggressive and appears playing not to make a mistake instead playing to be the best player she can be.

U

UCONNfan1

Random observation... it seems that maybe early on Ms. Chong was comfortable in the offensive flow and would take a shot any time she was open. Now it seems she is working more on her "guard" skills of dribbling, passing, helping run the offense, etc. I think it's just a matter of her feeling more and more acclimated with the college game.

The next step would be to combine those 2 skill sets - being offensively minded when open, but also being aware that getting a player open for the best possible shot is part of being a good guard at UCONN. She's done both individually well, and played solid defense for most of the season. If she's able to combine both those skills consistently, that's a highly evolved skill set for a freshman guard at UCONN to achieve...

DavidinNaples

Reaction Score
Ok in that same 5 game span she has averaged 1 rebound, 1.8assists. and 1.2 steals. She is a much better player than that and has been underperforming lately no matter what you look at. Also everyone is going to have an off game but when that continues for a significant period of time as it has for Chong something needs to be addressed.

I'm sure Geno has addressed everything that needs addressing... interesting you find 5 games a "significant period", rather than her whole season, so far...I think she has been a pleasant surprise given her year to date performance....we can agree she is good and will get better and better...:)

1. She has played 396 minutes, an average of almost 19 per game. That really doesn't allow for someone who was playing high school ball last year to adjust to the college game. Especially as played by UConn.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Stewie indeed had that 16 games in the middle of last year during which she had a couple of DNPs, but around this time she started a stretch of 12 games where she wasn't shooting as much as earlier and averaged 8.8 ppg, which was not her best period. Also around the same time last year a freshman named Jefferson totaled just 14 points in 6 games, and as far as I know she has never been heard from again.

Chong's last 6 games have included one game in which she was sick and a Baylor game where she got minimal minutes. In the other four games she has 9 assists, which is not bad, and for a freshman with 5 AA type starters the scoring opportunities are not as likely to come as they were in the early development part of the year. Stewie and Bria are heating up, KLM is looking to get her shots again, and the players who will be doing 95% of the shooting in the big tourney games are getting the plays set for them.

So maybe in the next game she will be back to 100% strength, over any freshman wall, and jacking up 10 shots in 17 minutes so everybody can be happy again, except all those BYers that want MoJeff scoring more, or Stef scoring more, or Brianna scoring more, of Kiah scoring more, or.......

Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno has addressed everything that needs addressing... interesting you find 5 games a "significant period", rather than her whole season, so far...I think she has been a pleasant surprise given her year to date performance....we can agree she is good and will get better and better...:)

Its her last 5 games played Genius. That shows how she has played LATELY WHICH IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE RECENT THREADS.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
"Its her last 5 games played Genius. That shows how she has played LATELY WHICH IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE RECENT THREADS."

Finally, someone acknowledges the posting genius of David Naples. Bout time...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Before you start using last five games numbers please identify those games - In two of those games Baylor and Rutgers Geno played Moriah and Bria a total of 70 minutes each and Kaleena for 67 minutes leaving very limited time for either Banks or Chong. At Baylor was a highly contested game in a very hostile environment and at Rutgers I think both Moriah and Bria were playing so well (as were the other starters) that he wanted to reenforce that experience for them. So those games had more to do with Bria and Moriah and less with Saniya. Saniya totaled 13 minutes in those games with 1-2 shooting, 2 assists and two rebounds at Rutgers and no stats in 3 minutes at Baylor.
The other three games in the 'Last five played' were Temple (21 min), Memphis (23 min), and Temple (17) for an average of 20+ minutes per game. Her stats for those three games were 2-6 FG, 1-2 FT, 3 rbds, 7 assist, 6 steals - not Bria numbers but not that bad.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Geno has addressed everything that needs addressing...

Well yeah.....that's why it's a discussion here on the Boneyard.....because Geno addressed it in an interview. Uconn is coming into the toughest part of the conference schedule. Now would be a good time for Banks and Chong to pick it up. Before they get into the tournament. I am looking forward to them doing it. :)

Reaction Score
I absolutely agree. Geno's problem lies in the fact that she has become less aggressive and appears playing not to make a mistake instead playing to be the best player she can be.

Yep. Scary to be on this team where you have to face your worst fears about yourself. It's not easy to be a fan either. After watching these women for so long, You can imagine what she is going through after seeing it so many times over the years.

Soniya is a GREAT player. She was the one who got us started at the beginning of the season and electrified all of us.

Like Geno is always saying, you can be the best basketball player in the world, but you still have to grow up. I've been thinking about that alot recently. I have to agree even though I only have one daughter, while he has had hundreds.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sometimes it becomes harder to produce when you have played enough for opposing coaches to watch what you are likely to do and start game-planning for when you are in the game. Or, she is just a normal freshman that is still adjusting to college basketball.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If one steps back from the statistics and angst.

What is seemingly clear is that finding one's place in the current offense which is a moving target due to personnel availability issues regularly causes minor disruptions across the board.

I'm sure Geno would prefer for different pieces to just fit in whatever the role and necessity are required at any given moment but he is finding that a perfect balance in this regard is elusive.

But one can make a case that to some extent or another, Bria KML, Steff, certainly Banks and Chong, less Mo and Stewie but some, less for Morgan because she's hardly played and forever for Kiah…have had issues discovering the methodology that their talent can be best maximized within the floating crap-game, that the spate of injuries has created.

For example: Kaleena seems more passive lately during the scoring onslaught of Stewie and has been encouraged by staff to reignite her aggression, which indeed did start to show up in the 2nd half of the last game; Bria has had earliuer some games in which she disappeared for segments as all attention shifted to MoJeff's sensational activity at point. And in the recent past one might make the point that the situ has reversed.

One could call these two examples coincidence or merely a product of my grey matter but I feel a pattern in this regard is quite discernible.

It is Geno's task to minimize or eliminate this perceived issue prior to tournament time.

Reaction Score

I think it was mentioned as to how
Before you start using last five games numbers please identify those games - In two of those games Baylor and Rutgers Geno played Moriah and Bria a total of 70 minutes each and Kaleena for 67 minutes leaving very limited time for either Banks or Chong. At Baylor was a highly contested game in a very hostile environment and at Rutgers I think both Moriah and Bria were playing so well (as were the other starters) that he wanted to reenforce that experience for them. So those games had more to do with Bria and Moriah and less with Saniya. Saniya totaled 13 minutes in those games with 1-2 shooting, 2 assists and two rebounds at Rutgers and no stats in 3 minutes at Baylor.
The other three games in the 'Last five played' were Temple (21 min), Memphis (23 min), and Temple (17) for an average of 20+ minutes per game. Her stats for those three games were 2-6 FG, 1-2 FT, 3 rbds, 7 assist, 6 steals - not Bria numbers but not that bad.
many minutes she had played in those 5 games and how many shots she'd taken, compared to what she might have been doing earlier. Five games is an appreciable amount of time to "see a trend" which is what Geno was assuredly addressing. I think some people have a tendency to be a little overprotective to the young ladies.

Reaction Score

I did state that she played a total of 74minutes which is approximately 15minutes per game. That is just 3 minutes less than her season average. Also if you want to consider that 2-6, 3 rbs, 7assists, and 6 steals is "not that bad" for a player like Saniya Chong then your expectations are way low. Especially when you basically just picked her 3 best performances in that stretch. Finally I don't care who UConn played or how Bria, Moriah, or anyone else played. Saniya and Saniya only dictates her playing time and her stats.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I did state that she played a total of 74minutes which is approximately 15minutes per game. That is just 3 minutes less than her season average. Also if you want to consider that 2-6, 3 rbs, 7assists, and 6 steals is "not that bad" for a player like Saniya Chong then your expectations are way low. Especially when you basically just picked her 3 best performances in that stretch. Finally I don't care who UConn played or how Bria, Moriah, or anyone else played. Saniya and Saniya only dictates her playing time and her stats.
Disagree with your last sentence - If Bria and Moriah are on fire (which they have been) then that will adversely effect other guards playing time. And if either one of them were to be in foul trouble then that would increase playing time for other guards. And for choosing her best games - you chose the time frame - I just pointed out that specific games during a year will be played and coached differently and the time frame you chose had what I considered two exceptional games where Geno rode his starters harder than in any other games this year. To back up my point:
Stewart: YTD Ave: 29 minutes, Baylor 39 min, Rutgers, 32 min
Dolson: 31.4, 32, 33
KML: 26.9, 34, 33
Hartley: 30.5, 37, 33
Jefferson: 28.7, 38, 32

Starters totals: YTD 146.5, Baylor 180, Rutgers 163
Stokes/Tuck Totals: YTD 23.7, Baylor 15, Rutgers 17
Available Bench guard/wing minutes: YTD 29.8, Baylor 5, Rutgers 20

Reaction Score
Bottom line if you play well enough Geno will find playing time for you no matter what. The reason that Chong didn't get a lot of minutes in those games is because she is not playing to her full potential. You don't think Geno would like to give his starters rest In every game?

Reaction Score
Actually for 74 minutes 6 steals is quite good. (How many freshman guards do you think are averaging more than that per minute? Not many) And for a 2 guard 9 assists in 74 minutes with only 3 TOs is more than respectable. It's only the shooting that's an issue. All in all this 5 game stretch is much better than Breanna's worst stretch last year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bottom line if you play well enough Geno will find playing time for you no matter what. The reason that Chong didn't get a lot of minutes in those games is because she is not playing to her full potential. You don't think Geno would like to give his starters rest In every game?
I just don't think it is that simple, especially with a freshman. For Uconn to win an NC Geno needs his starters to be on their games and that involves them being used to playing in high pressure situations in hostile environments and learning how to win contested games. It also involves making sure they can go 40 minutes if need be without succumbing to fatigue. And that their confidence is high. Kaleena is going to get more minutes in the next few weeks than 'necessary' because she is still recovering from a nasty injury and getting her legs back and her shooting confidence. Up until the last 5 games Bria was in a shooting slump so she is getting more minutes than 'necessary' to reenforce the roll she is on - same with Stewart. And Jefferson is playing the best basketball of her career and reenforcing that is also important. Banks is coming back from a sprained ankle so while she has played very few minutes the last two games that is also going to be ramped up probably at the expense of some of Chong's minutes. And Kiah needs to continue to get minutes to keep her in the better place she has gotten to.
Getting Chong some minutes is important, but she and Banks are probably the least critical members of the team in terms of whether they win an NC and the considerations of the other players may supersede the importance of getting Saniya as many minutes as some would like to see. It also doesn't mean that she cannot improve and use what minutes she does get to her advantage. Her defense has steadily improved through the year. I would like to see her shooting a little more, but she is being effective in getting assists which is a positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom