IMHO, Bouknight should not be considering the NBA this year. | The Boneyard

IMHO, Bouknight should not be considering the NBA this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Unless he has some kind of extreme breakout season where he leads us to at least Elite 8 and probably Final Four. It doesn't make sense to leave school this year. I remember what JC told his players; If you are a lottery lock go anytime. If you are a first round lock go after your junior year. t

The reasoning is financial. A first round pick gets a 2 year contract slotted between $8 million to $1.6 million. A second round pick gets a one year deal at between $1.2 million to $863,000. JC stressed get that first round pick with the extra money for two years ala Hilton Armstrong. The difference between a mid first round and a mid second round is about $6 million to $1 million. Plus there is the added diminished stress of going into the league with two years to demonstrate you belong.

Right now I don't see how James is a lottery lock or a first round lock. Right now he is a second team Big East all conference. The Big East is typically slotted as the fourth or fifth strongest conference. Which indicates that James is not now considered one of the 30 best players in the game. Jay Bilas just did an article on the upcoming season and names 20 players he considered possibilities for AA, James was not mentioned. He named top shooters, best defenders, best rebounders, most underrated, etc. Not one mention of James Bouknight.

Don't get me wrong. James could be superb this year and create a brand for himself and I would be so pleased to see that happen. I was disappointed to see Daniel Hamilton go pro. I don't want to see another potentially great UConn player playing in Turkey. James has all the tools to be a great one except maturity. I wish he would take advantage of two more years.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Feels unfair to say someone should or shouldn't enter the NBA draft 2 games into their sophomore season.

Let's address this again at the end of the year. He's averaging 19 ppg and this team hasn't even scratched the surface yet.

Reaction Score
Unless he has some kind of extreme breakout season where he leads us to at least Elite 8 and probably Final Four. It doesn't make sense to leave school this year. I remember what JC told his players; If you are a lottery lock go anytime. If you are a first round lock go after your junior year. t

The reasoning is financial. A first round pick gets a 2 year contract slotted between $8 million to $1.6 million. A second round pick gets a one year deal at between $1.2 million to $863,000. JC stressed get that first round pick with the extra money for two years ala Hilton Armstrong. The difference between a mid first round and a mid second round is about $6 million to $1 million. Plus there is the added diminished stress of going into the league with two years to demonstrate you belong.

Right now I don't see how James is a lottery lock or a first round lock. Right now he is a second team Big East all conference. The Big East is typically slotted as the fourth or fifth strongest conference. Which indicates that James is not now considered one of the 30 best players in the game. Jay Bilas just did an article on the upcoming season and names 20 players he considered possibilities for AA, James was not mentioned. He named top shooters, best defenders, best rebounders, most underrated, etc. Not one mention of James Bouknight.

Don't get me wrong. James could be superb this year and create a brand for himself and I would be so pleased to see that happen. I was disappointed to see Daniel Hamilton go pro. I don't want to see another potentially great UConn player playing in Turkey. James has all the tools to be a great one except maturity. I wish he would take advantage of two more years.
I think we need to go through a season to see where Bouknight is. He said this is his last year. Maybe he plays in G league and gets paid.

Reaction Score
Things have changed since JC was giving that advice. The NBA is very focused on youth at the top of the draft. It's hard to imagine James moving up much, if at all, after his junior season. Also, while there is more money in the lottery, there is something to be said about starting his career. It gets him an extra/early year of earning, and a year head start on free agency.

If he is projected to go second round because of an injury or some other temporary issue, that may make more sense to wait a year.

Reaction Score
We have had 2 games so far. In the first game, Bouknight had a quiet 20 and 8. In the second game he had 12 points with lots of time left in the first half.

Barring injury, this kids draft stock is going to be very high at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
You hit the trifecta of incorrectness, from public perception, to opinion, to facts.
1) The big east is the 4/5 toughest conference.... think about that again.
2) “I don’t see him as a first round pick” - Please visit any mock drafts for this upcoming season.
3) Bilas had him in the underrated and under appreciated portion of his article. Read with a purpose vs skim and you’ll see it clear as day.

Reaction Score

The one thing we have to learn about the NBA is the longer you stay in college, the more tarnished your rep becomes. If Bouknight returns, it will be because he has a poor season. If he has a good season, he's going to be a first-round draft pick, probably later lottery to mid-first.

The other thing is the NBA doesn't lie about who you are. They don't care where you went to school or what your ranking was.

For Daniel Hamilton, the reason he was taken in the second round is something that is surprising -- athleticism. He did not grade out athletically very well when the NBA did its evaluation and he was considered a below-average NBA wing athlete.

James Bouknight isn't a below-average athlete. He is a plus athlete. Someone is going to take a first-round pick on an athletic wing player who can score the way he can from all 3 levels -- and off the dribble. Defense? They don't care. If he is athletic, they can get him to play D.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Staying is never the right option. Look what happened to KEA.

Reaction Score
Sorry too early to make this call. All it takes is one incredible string of games in the Big East tournament he’s a lottery pick... we’ve seen it before .. Caron, Gordon, Lamb, etc ..

Reaction Score
He will definitely be a first round for the fact this year draft will be weak like this past one we just had. At this point with the talent I see in men’s college basketball I’m ready to draft some woman players

Reaction Score

Two games in is a little premature to access James. maturity for a draft that will take place after the battles have been fought. He could start this year as a talented boy and end it a an accomplished man. That’s part of the allure of college basketball. Watching kids grow. Sit back relax and watch the metamorphosis.

Reaction Score
He's mocked in the first round - everywhere - right now.

Yeaaaaa.....no.

By your own logic, as of this moment it makes entire sense. Literally right now he is predicted to be a first-round pick by... everyone.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.25.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 11.25.45 AM.png

google it. Right now. FIrst-rounder. So he doesn't need some major breakout, he just needs to perform at current expectations and then take his first ticket to millionaire-ville. In fact I would argue for his long-term success it makes more sense to be drafted into the middle/late stages. You land with a better organization with better chances of success and development and lower expectations.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
He literally scored 16 points in 5 minutes.
And 2 more in the next 25. Hurley said he should have had 34 point game. That indicates the lack of maturity that I mentioned. Perhaps Hurley coaches him up and he doesn't have any more games like this.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Two games in is a little premature to access James. maturity for a draft that will take place after the battles have been fought. He could start this year as a talented boy and end it a an accomplished man. That’s part of the allure of college basketball. Watching kids grow. Sit back relax and watch the metamorphosis.
Agreed, but reading the experts like Bilas indicates he's not considered a top player at this time. He has the skills to become a great player. Let him play the game and grow like an 18/19 year old kid should.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
He's mocked in the first round - everywhere - right now.

Yeaaaaa.....no.

By your own logic, as of this moment it makes entire sense. Literally right now he is predicted to be a first-round pick by... everyone.

View attachment 61867 View attachment 61868

google it. Right now. FIrst-rounder. So he doesn't need some major breakout, he just needs to perform at current expectations and then take his first ticket to millionaire-ville. In fact I would argue for his long-term success it makes more sense to be drafted into the middle/late stages. You land with a better organization with better chances of success and development and lower expectations.
I read these also. His expectation in the Big East is second team all conference. If that pans out, do you still think he goes in the second half of the first round? Is he second team because some of the opposing coaches have an anti-UConn bias. I don't know. Just thinking?

Reaction Score
And 2 more in the next 25. Hurley said he should have had 34 point game. That indicates the lack of maturity that I mentioned. Perhaps Hurley coaches him up and he doesn't have any more games like this.

As has been explained to you several times, for NBA teams drafting on potential, the fact that he has demonstrated the ability to take over games is far more important than seeing him do it consistently. In either case, he's leaving after this season and getting drafted, and that's going to happen no matter how many times you post embarrassing screeds that show that you haven't learned anything new since the 90s.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
You could have said the same thing about Caron Butler two games into his sophomore season.
Actually, yeah. And I love Caron. but if I remember correctly wasn't he an old sophmore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom