I'm with Diaco, but... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm with Diaco, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Isn't there a thread about getting weist back?
I believe the question was proposed a) tongue-in-cheek and b) as offensive coordinator.

Why not ask the question there? Nobody in this thread even suggested it.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
"I'm with him, but."

Sorry, but if your "but" isn't with him you aren't with him.
I'm in the "be patient and stop whining" camp, but I don't want to live in a world of black and white. There's a lot of greys in between.

Reaction Score
I believe the question was proposed a) tongue-in-cheek and b) as offensive coordinator.

Why not ask the question there? Nobody in this thread even suggested it.
U have a point I guess I jumped the gun.

Reaction Score
We need to be patient. But, We also need to call it like we see it. It's still early. Thus far, not impressed with on field performance. They went backwards in execution in week 2. Let's see what happens against Boise.

Reaction Score
Diaco has to try and keep it as positive as possible but he also has to realize he's not dealing with blind sheep here. The used car salesman schtick is gonna get old fast on salty old New Englanders. Tell it like it is but more importantly, tell us what your going to do to fix it. That's what everyone wants to hear. Everyone realizes it's a work in progress.

Reaction Score
I'm in the "be patient and stop whining" camp, but I don't want to live in a world of black and white. There's a lot of greys in between.

Can I patiently confident that Wacky Bob really knows what he is doing, and still think he is a wacky goofball?

Reaction Score
The guy seems to have a long term plan and should/will be given the opportunity to follow through on it, but there are hints that he is overwhelmed by the job right now.

Reaction Score
He's said we suck about as clearly as a coach can say such things. He isn't going to keep doing that. It going to be all, we are getting better, working hard to improve, and we are getting close until we either start winning or he gets fired. Best everyone get used to that.
This point offsets the one that started this thread.. Nice job...

Reaction Score
The guy seems to have a long term plan and should/will be given the opportunity to follow through on it, but there are hints that he is overwhelmed by the job right now.

How so? just curious.

I've thought many things about our first time head coach, gaining experience now, with 2 caps. (see what I did there?) but overwhelmed hasn't been one of them. Far from that kind of concept actually, is my impression. he's done 2 things incredibly effectively.

#1. He took a team that was completely fragmented, and dysfunctional and mentally weak and crumbled at adversity, and turned them into a team that plays together and plays to the final whistle, and has responded, quite well to adversity, negative plays, etc.

#2. He's managed, through the press (either inadvertently, or on purpose - I'm leaning toward inadvertently) to completely deflect all the bad performance from the players and on to himself.

Seriously, I"ve been snarky lately, but I'm genuinely curious as to why you think 'overwhelmed'? I haven't gotten to that conclusion. Overthinking? That's where I'm at and I've been there for a while now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How so? just curious.

I've thought many things about our first time head coach, gaining experience now, with 2 caps. (see what I did there?) but overwhelmed hasn't been one of them. Far from that kind of concept actually, is my impression. he's done 2 things incredibly effectively.

#1. He took a team that was completely fragmented, and dysfunctional and mentally weak and crumbled at adversity, and turned them into a team that plays together and plays to the final whistle, and has responded, quite well to adversity, negative plays, etc.

#2. He's managed, through the press (either inadvertently, or on purpose - I'm leaning toward inadvertently) to completely deflect all the bad performance from the players and on to himself.

Seriously, I"ve been snarky lately, but I'm genuinely curious as to why you think 'overwhelmed'? I haven't gotten to that conclusion. Overthinking? That's where I'm at and I've been there for a while now.

I would disagree on #2. He has gone out of his way to set the expectations as low as possible based on what he inherited. Not that he shouldn't but it was entirely intentional.

Reaction Score
I would disagree on #2. He has gone out of his way to set the expectations as low as possible based on what he inherited. Not that he shouldn't but it was entirely intentional.

I get that, but I was referring to going public with the "preparatory phase" of the season, and all that, after the BYU game, and the statemetns he's made about game planning, for ourselves, rather than opponents in this phase, which is backed up by my eyes, and interpretation as pretty much a minimal effort to actually being specific to game planning for opponents through 2 games. It's complete insanity, and had to have been a mistake, to say those things, if you ask me, but it's growing on me. Especially, if I'm wrong and it was intentional. He's effectively given a free pass for three games, to his entire team and coaching staff, and is shouldering the responsibility for the team production personally. That's a gutsy move if it was calculated, and a lucky one, if it wasn't, and sometimes you need luck.

The guy seems to like challenges, and he's set the program up for a huge challenge, once the Boise State game is over, and they will have had 3 games to get ready for it.

For now, stick with the system, the process, the plan, and my theme for the week, the answer to all questions, citing Fishy's words and thought process properly here from last week.......don't f---king turn the ball over TWICE to start the game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I get that, but I was referring to going public with the "preparatory phase" of the season, and all that, after the BYU game, and the statemetns he's made about game planning, for ourselves, rather than opponents in this phase, which is backed up by my eyes, and interpretation as pretty much a minimal effort to actually being specific to game planning for opponents through 2 games. It's complete insanity, and had to have been a mistake, to say those things, if you ask me, but it's growing on me. Especially, if I'm wrong and it was intentional. He's effectively given a free pass for three games, to his entire team and coaching staff, and is shouldering the responsibility for the team production personally. That's a gutsy move if it was calculated, and a lucky one, if it wasn't, and sometimes you need luck.

The guy seems to like challenges, and he's set the program up for a huge challenge, once the Boise State game is over, and they will have had 3 games to get ready for it.

For now, stick with the system, the process, the plan, and my theme for the week, the answer to all questions, citing Fishy's words and thought process properly here from last week..don't f---king turn the ball over TWICE to start the game.

I wasn't really talking about just the first three games, but anything he says in intentional - he's too savvy for it to be anything different.

Reaction Score
How so? just curious.

Like I said, it's just hints -- the incoherent mid and post-game communications, some of the indecision in his personnel, and just reading of his sideline body language.

He appears to excel at motivating and getting buy-in from his players.

Reaction Score
Like I said, it's just hints -- the incoherent mid and post-game communications, some of the indecision in his personnel, and just reading of his sideline body language.

He appears to excel at motivating and getting buy-in from his players.

Fair enough. You might be exactly right. Time will tell. Those observations, could just be the outward appearance of a guy who's been a head coach, twice so far in his life. I guess I just have a different impressions of 'overwhelmed.'

My counter, is that we had a complete lack of any procedural type of penalties, even with all the mass substitutions, in the BYU game, which we had ample time to prepare for. We had a couple vs. Stony Brook, on one week preparation, with all the substitution mess, and the process of the "preparation" phase of the season, but it was a rookie TE on one play, and I don't recall the other procedural penalty off the top of my head right now. That, to me, means that the guy has a disciplined system of getting 100+ people to accomplish a series of goals in assembling units of people to do something. Overwhelmed to me, wouldn't be able to do that.

My problem with the guy, is that it's we are actually in season, and you cannot expect to develop the kind of timing and speed, that is clearly lacking in games, and lacking in basic fundamentals of blockign and tackling, and you inevitably will begin to let the opponent dictate to you, the pace and play of the game, when you practice the way we must be practicing right now. He's also learning on the fly, how to deal with pretty intense media scrutiny, even if there are only 25,000 people in the stands. I don't think he's overwhelmed there, just never done it before. I think the guy could benefit from taking a step away from reading the boneyard, and watching a few hours of Bill Parcells media clips.

Last edited:

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Diaco has to try and keep it as positive as possible but he also has to realize he's not dealing with blind sheep here. The used car salesman schtick is gonna get old fast on salty old New Englanders. Tell it like it is but more importantly, tell us what your going to do to fix it. That's what everyone wants to hear. Everyone realizes it's a work in progress.

Actually, I don't want to hear anything from Coach.

I want to see more W's

Reaction Score
I wasn't really talking about just the first three games, but anything he says in intentional - he's too savvy for it to be anything different.

If you are saying that you think he has been intentional on setting expectations low? I agree. The problem, with that, and probably has already realized it, is that UCONN fans, don't respond well to low expectations. We expect to win, now.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I hope he doesn't think we're all dumb. The way he addresses his post game words seem to be towards dumb people who believe that "teamwork" and "brotherhood" leads to W's.

Reaction Score
I hope he doesn't think we're all dumb. The way he addresses his post game words seem to be towards dumb people who believe that "teamwork" and "brotherhood" leads to W's.

Umm, for the record, teamwork and 'brotherhood' on a football team is absolutely essential to getting W's. What gets annoying is when he's fluffing in the media, like a bimbo on the side of a set. That's not going to fly with football fans on the boneyard for instance.

You have to hope that the guy, isn't telling his players in the meeting rooms, the same things he's telling the media. You can positively motivate, for sure, when players make mistakes and play poorly, rather than berate them like sub-humans, but there is nothing a football player responds better to, than the truth about their performance. The skill in the coach, in motivating and having success, is being able to read and recognize the personalities of the players and discovering the best ways to get them to respond. Some people need a kick in the ass, and brutality to respond. Others need a smile and a pat on the ass. but the constant, is that you better make sure they know exactly where they stand, and that goes for all managers of people, not just football coaching.

We had a lot of piss poor play on the field on Saturday, and if the players think they played well? I doubt it, the players need to know exactly how they performed, and what they need to do better, and it was absolute shiiite, and it all needs to get better.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Umm, for the record, teamwork and 'brotherhood' on a football team is absolutely essential to getting W's. What gets annoying is when he's fluffing in the media, like a bimbo on the side of a smut set. That's not going to fly with football fans on the boneyard for instance.

You have to hope that the guy, isn't telling his players in the meeting rooms, the same things he's telling the media. You can positively motivate, for sure, when players make mistakes and play poorly, rather than berate them like sub-humans, but there is nothing a football player responds better to, than the truth about their performance. The skill in the coach, in motivating and having success, is being able to read and recognize the personalities of the players and discovering the best ways to get them to respond. Some people need a kick in the ass, and brutality to respond. Others need a smile and a pat on the ass. but the constant, is that you better make sure they know exactly where they stand, and that goes for all managers of people, not just football coaching.

We had a lot of piss poor play on the field on Saturday, and if the players think they played well? I doubt it, the players need to know exactly how they performed, and what they need to do better, and it was absolute shiiite, and it all needs to get better.
I agree, but if you don't have coaching or player talent, "teamwork" and "brotherhood" don't mean Shot.

Reaction Score
Basketball fans above all should remember the Oriachki ( Spelling) problem with the 2012 team. That team lacked both due to several members not being all in and eventually transferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom