I'm sorry Phil, but... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I'm sorry Phil, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Let me start by saying I've always supported Phil. Always wanted him to succeed. But it's gotten to the point where he is now a liability. He's good for drawing a charge and maybe a rebound, but he has zero offensive ability. It doesn't matter where he is, if he gets the ball he will either mishandle it, have it stripped, or have it blocked. I thought maybe the extra muscle would help him out, but so far I'm not seeing any improvement.

It pains me to say it, but I'd rather see Lubin get Phil's minutes. I'll always appreciate Nolan's contribution to last years NC team, but at this point the extra minutes would go a long way to developing Lubin. Am I alone here?

^this is what led a bunch of you to cry foul? Chap said worse about Ray Allen yesterday! I don't like any player being trashed but this was mild and not personal.
I missed the memo that it is OK to trash starters but not OK to trash starters from last year.
Phil seems to have a great personality and be a good kid. But he has been a very limited basketball player. I wish him all the best and hope he improves. But I don't get the reaction.
Glad no one wanted to see Omar on the bench last year.

Reaction Score
David 76 said:
^this is what led a bunch of you to cry foul? Chap said worse about Ray Allen yesterday! I don't like any player being trashed but this was mild and not personal. I missed the memo that it is OK to trash starters but not OK to trash starters from last year. Phil seems to have a great personality and be a good kid. But he has been a very limited basketball player. I wish him all the best and hope he improves. But I don't get the reaction. Glad no one wanted to see Omar on the bench last year.

No - wasn't so much the original post. Post #5 is when it deteriorated.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly, Hilton Armstrong didn't click until his senior year

Armstrong's worst season (02-03) was better than Phil's best (last year). The Phil=Hilton comparison never made sense, other than the general size and shape of the two players.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Since I was the one on the soap box about stuff, I wanted to comment here.

This type of post is completely reasonable and a legitimate take on things. There's no reason we can't be critical or suggest we think one player should get minutes over another (unless they are bat crazy ideas like Hamilton playing the two and Facey playing the three - but those get sorted out just fine by masses) as long as that criticism is constructive or at least not personal.

But calling out players, making fun of players, attacking players isn't fine.

T0 summarize:

OK Post - Phil is playing poorly this year and it's really time to see Rakim get more minutes.
Not OK Post - Phil is useless and should never see another minute on the court for UConn.

Exactly! The posters who are guilty of this behavior have a problem distinguishing the difference.

Lots of reasons why. One reason is that some have developed the habit of putting someone down to make themselves feel better. Another is to attract attention to themselves. There are other reasons but suffice it to say it's very hard to change these type of behaviors.

Some of us recognize this is a minority of the same people posting in this forum. But others of us don't take the time to realize it's the same dudes and come away with the impression that the numbers are greater.

We cannot change others. It's up to the individuals with "negative" behavior to understand the detriments that their behavior creates both for society as a whole and for themselves as individuals. It's no different than alcohol addiction. Someone not addicted can see it in someone else and try to change that person, but no change can begin unless the person with the addiction recognizes the problem and makes the determination to try and change.

We do all sorts of things to force people to look at themselves such as humor, ridicule, isolation, marginalization, ignoring them, punishment. Those methods may have to be employed at times, but the better modality is patience and guidance. I must confess there are times when I want to get down and dirty as opposed to be a shining light. I want to feel the emotional satisfaction we derive when we hurt others. It's quite satisfying. But it's wrong. Which is why the more successful groups understand this and work together in pulling each other up as opposed to putting others down. None of us are perfect and we all need each other. No different than a team in which even the bench players can contribute to an outcome.

Personally I find this forum a perfect blend of personalities. It has vibrancy, intelligence, raw emotion, compassion, passion and many other positive attributes. Yes it has flaws. But we frequently move forward in a positive direction. It's interesting to see the stalwarts on the football forum who are fans who know how to handle adversity. They've had to with the last four plus seasons. The bandwagon fans are gone from that forum. And the women's bb forum is the polar opposite. The biggest charge they have is the Vols and the way Tennessee had dealt with Geno and Maya Moore. That still brings the strongest reaction there many years after the events.

The men's bb forum is unique imo. It's the roller coaster forum. Extreme highs and extreme lows in a very short period of time. Human nature struggles more in this type of environment. You know what your getting in the other two forums (and yes I know the football success under RE). I'm talking about the rate of change. Championship, post season ban, loss of a legacy, championship, hero worship of a new coach, divorce. All in less than four years. That's extreme and a whipsaw set of circumstances impacting the basic drive to create some sort of normalcy in our lives. So kudos to this forum even as we still find ourselves working through things. This forum has definitely taken the stairs to fandom.

Reaction Score
Armstrong's worst season (02-03) was better than Phil's best (last year). The Phil=Hilton comparison never made sense, other than the general size and shape of the two players.

It's not a comparison of their skill sets or stats, just comparing their scenarios. Hilton had a solid senior season.

Reaction Score
It's not a comparison of their skill sets or stats, just comparing their scenarios. Hilton had a solid senior season.

He did, but on a rate basis, he was already a pretty good player, minus the foul rate. For example, his junior year, when he played about 12mpg, his per40 numbers were 12 points, 11 rebounds, 4 blocks on 52% shooting. Phil's rate stats this year are abysmal (4 points, 4 rebounds, 1 block on 39% shooting). Statistically speaking, he's been among the very worst players in the conference. So I guess I'm not sure what relevance Hilton being a good player as a senior has, since he's on a completely different performance/development track than Phil.

Reaction Score
He did, but on a rate basis, he was already a pretty good player, minus the foul rate. Phil's rate stats this year are abysmal. Statistically speaking, he's been among the very worst players in the conference. So I guess I'm not sure what relevance Hilton being a good player as a senior has, since he's on a completely different performance/development track than Phil.

I don't know where your disconnect is, but in the simplest way, try to imagine the possibility of nolan improving and playing well in his senior year. That's it, nothing more, it's not that hard if you stop trying to connect dots that aren't there.

Reaction Score
I don't know where your disconnect is, but in the simplest way, try to imagine the possibility of nolan improving and playing well in his senior year. That's it, nothing more, it's not that hard if you stop trying to connect dots that aren't there.

So to suggest that Phil might be good as a senior, you bring up another player who was good as a senior, despite that player's performance prior to his senior year being several magnitudes better than Phil's to this point? I can't imagine why I might have tried to "connect dots" on that one. Why bring up Armstrong at all, if not to invite a comparison between him and Nolan? Their "scenarios" aren't similar: Hilton was a good player who struggled to get minutes behind lottery picks like Okafor and Villanueva, and when he got starter's minutes as a senior, he continued to be a good player. Nolan is, at this point, a terrible player who continues to get opportunities because of the relative dearth of depth in UConn's frontcourt. Comparing Nolan to Armstrong (which you did, despite your bizarre attempts to pretend otherwise), two very dissimilar players in very dissimilar situations, is one of the laziest comparisons I see made over and over on this board, based entirely on the fact that both players are roughly the same height and weight.

Reaction Score
Absurd. I never ever said that Nolan would be better than Hilton, just that he could be better than he is now, period.

Reaction Score
Like I said, everyone seems to hate Dyson with a passion on message boards (I'm not one of them) but god forbid you call it how you see it with how bad Phil has been this year and everyone runs to his defense....makes no sense to me

But to all the Phil Lovers out there, you may be in for a long season and not sure how much longer you can defend his play.
There is no defending it. That's the point. I don't think anyone really saw much more from Phil when he first got here. Just like how nobody ever had to "defend" Charles Okwandu.

Personally, I was expecting, and I think this was fair, 5 and 4 from Phil this year. Now obviously he's nowhere near that; but am I shocked? Meh

I wouldn't be shocked if Rock beats him to 5 and 4.

Reaction Score
So to suggest that Phil might be good as a senior, you bring up another player who was good as a senior, despite that player's performance prior to his senior year being several magnitudes better than Phil's to this point? I can't imagine why I might have tried to "connect dots" on that one. Why bring up Armstrong at all, if not to invite a comparison between him and Nolan? Their "scenarios" aren't similar: Hilton was a good player who struggled to get minutes behind lottery picks like Okafor and Villanueva, and when he got starter's minutes as a senior, he continued to be a good player. Nolan is, at this point, a terrible player who continues to get opportunities because of the relative dearth of depth in UConn's frontcourt. Comparing Nolan to Armstrong (which you did, despite your bizarre attempts to pretend otherwise), two very dissimilar players in very dissimilar situations, is one of the laziest comparisons I see made over and over on this board, based entirely on the fact that both players are roughly the same height and weight.

Just days after a moderator warns people to stop bashing players you're calling one of our guys "terrible"?

Reaction Score
Just days after a moderator warns people to stop bashing players you're calling one of our guys "terrible"?

He's been one of the worst players in the conference. Literally there is only one other player in the American who has played remotely meaningful minutes (at least 100) and has been less effective than Nolan. This isn't personal; he seems like a good dude, but he's absolutely not getting it done.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He's been one of the worst players in the conference. Literally there is only one other player in the American who has played remotely meaningful minutes (at least 100) and has been less effective than Nolan. This isn't personal; he seems like a good dude, but he's absolutely not getting it done.

3 pages into a stupid thread, you manage to raise the Stupid Bar. Nice work.

Reaction Score

You're missing the point. Whether or not your right isn't what matters, although I'd argue that there's no way in hell any scholarship player at UConn is even close to terrible.

I get that you're new here, and I've been here for about five years so I'm not even close to an elder statesman, but you just don't call players terrible or make disparaging comments like that.

At the risk of lecturing too much I'll stop now.

Reaction Score
Although Phil is not playing great now, mostly bringing this thought on with his inability to finish. To see him struggle offensively and think that is all he brings to the table would just tell you how little people know of the game. Although he didn't score much last year he was an important piece and now that he tries to score and fails he suddenly is one of the worst players in the conference. He is not performing as well as last year overall that is easy to see, but to suddenly get tot he point of statements like that is ridiculous. But that's what we deal with as fans, how soon they forget!

He will make plays as the season wears down which will once again make those happy he's on our side. But maybe they won't see them because he didn't score!

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Absurd. I never ever said that Nolan would be better than Hilton, just that he could be better than he is now, period.
Come on, they're practically the same person. Both were born in November, named after their fathers, were/will be seniors in a year ending in 6, and have both been mentioned as having a fondness for Hardees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom