I'm REALLY excited for this upcoming season! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm REALLY excited for this upcoming season!

Reaction Score
Regarding whether the newcomers will learn the system quickly, I don't think it will be that bad because three of those (Makurat, Westbrook and Adebayo) come in relatively seasoned. Griffin is a true freshman that until recently looked like she would be thrown into the fifth starter role of necessity, ready or not. But now you have the choice of a player who has played in a professional league for two years, with and against some WNBA players (Makurat), a player who was a two year starter in a very tough conference (Westbrook), or a grad transfer who put up 18 and 11 and clearly was the best player on a relatively weak team, but still against Division one talent (Adebayo).

That is so much easier than trial by fire with a true freshman. Griffin can contribute as soon as she is ready, but doesn't have to be rushed. Another positive is their versatility, I think Makurat and Westbrook could be considered as possibilities at 1-3, and in a pinch Makurat as a small 4. They don't have to be penciled in to one role, it can play out thru camp and the early season. Abedayo on the other hand is really the only 4-5 backup solution short of a return to health of Batoly.

Reaction Score
I wanted to take a minute to pause and review what's been going on at UCONN lately. Over the past 6 weeks, we've gotten no less than 5 kids to verbal/commit to UCONN - Bueckers, Muhl, Makurat, Adebayo and Westbrook. It's an incredible collection of talent that not only helps this coming year, but obviously for years to come. But I'm especially excited for this coming season for a bunch of reasons:

Really looking forward to the improvement from all the players from last season - hopefully ONO and Christyn show substantial sophomore leaps, Megan continues to improve in all aspects of her game again reminding everyone why she was the #1 kid coming out of HS, Crystal regains her sense of control for the game and becomes the PG we all hope she can be, and the reserves continue to work hard, earn PT, and just be tremendous teammates.

We also add (so far) 4 new pieces...
  1. Griffin - excited to see if she is indeed better (and by how much) than her HS ranking as most of us think
  2. Makurat - Outstanding guard from Poland - size, skill, international experience - how good can she be? We've read some really good things about folks who have played with her overseas...
  3. Westbrook - hopeful that she gets the waiver and I'm excited to see if not only she becomes a starter, as most of us think, but just how good she can be with better coaching
  4. Adebayo - Soft hands, strong body, hard worker, not afraid of contact, and a good rebounder for her size. Just how good can she be on a team like UCONN? Will she only spell ONO at the 5, or will she earn PT along Olivia for longer stretches?
For all the "Baylor and Oregon are the clear top 2 teams", both lost some significant parts (so did UCONN I know) - Baylor 2 starters including their PG (Jackson as well as uber-center Brown), and Oregon lost Cazorla, technically their starting PG, but Ionescu often plays that role as well. And now UCONN has potentially 4 really talented kids ready to suit up and help...

Lots of other teams lost a little to a ton, ND being the hardest hit. But many of those teams have been busy in the off season adding transfers (regular, JUCO and grad) as well as still recruiting the foreign kids.

I don't see any one team as a clear favorite. That's just my $.02. If Evina gets the waiver, UCONN will have one of, if not the most talented starting 5 in the nation - not a single starter ranked lower than 5 in their class (Two #1's, a #2, #3 and #5). Griffin, Makurat and Adebayo off the bench - different skill sets, size, experience levels, etc.

I think UCONN, Oregon and Baylor are slightly ahead as the favorites, followed closely by Stanford, Maryland, Mississippi State, SC and then maybe Oregon State, aTm, Syracuse, UCLA and maybe a few others. Funny part is the very thing that has elevated UCONN so effectively (transfers), is also prevalent all over the rest of the WCBB landscape as everyone scrambles for the talented players wanting to go elsewhere. There are still lots of moving parts and decisions by players that will have an impact on how good teams will be.

Still, with the college hoops talent so wide spread, and so much talent moving causing many unknowns, I think it's going to be an exciting year. But as I said, I'm especially thrilled with what UCONN has done in the off season (thank you Geno and co.) and I can't wait for the first jump ball!! I'm still of the opinion that Geno is not done for this coming season, but I have no scientific proof of that - just a bunch of rumors, suppositions and gut feelings. If anyone really thinks Geno doesn't know exactly what he wants and needs, they aren't paying attention. GO UCONN!!!
I agree with that list of top teams.The big advantage Oregon has, based on your list of top teams (mine as well) is that they will be challenged at least six times in Pac-12, plus there are other Pac-12 teams on the rise. Geno has to go outside of conference to challenge team.

Reaction Score
I've mentioned before that Charlie Creme's "Way to early top 25" was in fact way to early with UConn listed at 7. I still have OR at 1, but I now have UConn right up there with Baylor. I give Baylor the edge at center, although I think Liv will be a lot closer to Cox when March rolls around. I then give UConn the edge with the next 6 players on the roster.
The improvement of ONO from Nov to Feb this past season says that ONO is dedicated, determined, of better than average intelligence, with a decent BB IQ. That said, what makes you believe that Cox under Mulkey (playing second banana to Brown) will surpass ONO's further development? No argument. Ono, to me has shown what she can do with minimal time of Div Coaching, I believe ONO is special and will become one of the best among the best Post player. Yea, Rah Rah Rah (yea I'm here cheering section)

Reaction Score
Regarding whether the newcomers will learn the system quickly, I don't think it will be that bad because three of those (Makurat, Westbrook and Adebayo) come in relatively seasoned. Griffin is a true freshman that until recently looked like she would be thrown into the fifth starter role of necessity, ready or not. But now you have the choice of a player who has played in a professional league for two years, with and against some WNBA players (Makurat), a player who was a two year starter in a very tough conference (Westbrook), or a grad transfer who put up 18 and 11 and clearly was the best player on a relatively weak team, but still against Division one talent (Adebayo).

That is so much easier than trial by fire with a true freshman. Griffin can contribute as soon as she is ready, but doesn't have to be rushed. Another positive is their versatility, I think Makurat and Westbrook could be considered as possibilities at 1-3, and in a pinch Makurat as a small 4. They don't have to be penciled in to one role, it can play out thru camp and the early season. Abedayo on the other hand is really the only 4-5 backup solution short of a return to health of Batoly.
@oldhuskie you may be right about Griffin and the others, opinions make the BY go round. Griffin is talented, energetic, jumps way above her height, I'm looking(eventually) for a Gabby type kid. Makurat (Ania) has me cheering out of my seat right now. Pro experience with at least 2 Pro's touting her shooting and skill set, she could be a starter. I see "STARTING" as a bit of a secondary role. Who starts may take a back seat to how much pt they get and when. Westbrook, spent 2 years with Holly what did that do to her? How much "unlearning" will Geno be forced to do with her?
All of those mentioned will go through the Geno Div one learning program and the Geno practice or sit routine. How many have been forced to play at 120 percent in practice and in games??

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We will get a good preview of Griffin depending on how well she does in the Team USA trials...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom