I'm passing through Storrs for first time in June ...Need Advice | The Boneyard

I'm passing through Storrs for first time in June ...Need Advice

Reaction Score
I'm going to be in Boston visiting some clients and then headed to a college graduation 2 hours south of Storrs. (**I have never been to Storrs**)

1) It will be in June. Will the bookstore even be open?

2) Is there anything else to see on campus that's cool or in the town (only really care about UConn hoops, but might try the dairy bar and or Ted's since I've heard about it for 20 years on here)

3) Is the basketball facility open to the public?***

4) Doesn't seem like many hotels, is there a better town to stay in north of Storrs (but not more than 30-40 mins away)

Any advice pertaining to this would be awesome. Thanks so much!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm going to be in Boston visiting some clients and then headed to a college graduation 2 hours south of Storrs. (**I have never been to Storrs**)

2) Is there anything else to see on campus that's cool or in the town (only really care about UConn hoops, but might try the dairy bar and or Ted's since I've heard about it for 20 years on here)

4) Doesn't seem like many hotels, is there a better town to stay in north of Storrs (but not more than 30-40 mins away)

There is nothing in CT northeast of Storrs. You’re only bet within a half hour is Sturbridge or stopping in Vernon/Manchester

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Poor @rip7774 doesn't realize Storrs is actually one of those fake old west store front things like they use in Western movies, with a basketball arena behind it.

It's been too long since I've been there to give good advice. Dairy Bar, Teds, just because. Are you staying someplace before or after the visit? If before, then Sturbridge (go to Treehouse for beer) and if after, Manchester/Vernon area.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So I will buck trend and actually answer your questions:

1) It will be in June. Will the bookstore even be open? Yes.

2) Is there anything else to see on campus that's cool or in the town (only really care about UConn hoops, but might try the dairy bar and or Ted's since I've heard about it for 20 years on here) Dairy Bar is a definite must. You won't regret it. It's life altering. Ted's meh. I'd do Geno's or Wili Pizza myself.

3) Is the basketball facility open to the public?*** Yes, at least the Hall of Champions thing.

4) Doesn't seem like many hotels, is there a better town to stay in north of Storrs (but not more than 30-40 mins away) No idea.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
So I will buck trend and actually answer your questions:

1) It will be in June. Will the bookstore even be open? Yes.

2) Is there anything else to see on campus that's cool or in the town (only really care about UConn hoops, but might try the dairy bar and or Ted's since I've heard about it for 20 years on here) Dairy Bar is a definite must. You won't regret it. It's life altering. Ted's meh. I'd do Geno's or Wili Pizza myself.

3) Is the basketball facility open to the public?*** Yes, at least the Hall of Champions thing.

4) Doesn't seem like many hotels, is there a better town to stay in north of Storrs (but not more than 30-40 mins away) No idea.
Definitely Wili Pizza over Geno's. More of a UConn institution. Dairy Bar, bookstore, Willington pizza.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Go to the urinal bank in Blaze pizza and whisper “Chief00” 3 times...
Doesn't that make Slender Man appear?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Visit the Husky Heritage Sports Museum in the alumni building. There's a hotel on campus...the Nathan Hale Inn. There also used to be a Best Western on 195 in Mansfield on the way toward Willimantic near the East Brook Mall. It's only about five minutes from the campus.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the nearly all the students will be home for the summer or graduated so it’s going to be a ghost town.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the nearly all the students will be home for the summer or graduated so it’s going to be a ghost town.
You’re right. He should just find his way to I84 West and stick to it until he gets to exit 36.

Reaction Score

Yes. Don't drive two hours south from Storrs. You'll be in Long Island Sound.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Is Red Rock still there? Next to that grocery store on 44?

Used to be able to get massive calzones there from around 05-09.

Not exactly a must have or UConn centric but just curious.

You could always try and watch a UConn football practice and post everything on the Yard too.

Reaction Score
Visit the Husky Heritage Sports Museum in the alumni building.
Havent the 4 NCAA hoops trophies and hasn’t a lot of other hoops stuff been moved to the hoops training facility?

Unrelated general questions: When did Willington pizza become truly worthy of recommendations vs being just an OK oasis serving average pizza in a desert? Has it massively improved in the last decade?

Reaction Score
You should be able to check out Gampel too unless they are using it for something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom