I'm not down. UConn fans should look forward to a good conference... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I'm not down. UConn fans should look forward to a good conference...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Certainly upstater has a better view on this than Randy Edsall did.

This is a huge issue going forward - and that is how bad some of those programs are they can't even put together credible teams without even the farce of an academic program.

Reaction Score

Sigh. I've seen this up close and personal. You're not doing yourself any favors here if you think PC would be at any disadvantage whatsoever. Once heard Nick Saban at LSU making these same complaints. Funny stuff. Memphis must be bringing in a lot of ringers--with their great record and all.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'm impressed that upstater thinks anyone else pulling a Boise is a likely scenario.

Reaction Score
I'm impressed that upstater thinks anyone else pulling a Boise is a likely scenario.

I didn't say it was likely. But TCU, Utah, Cincy... They've gone undefeated and been in the top 5. It's not likely, not unheard of either for 4 teams to do it in 4 years. I can't go back to see what Fresno did when they were decent, but I think they did have a good year.

You also need to realize that I was responding to someone who said, categorically, that non-big conference teams no longer have access to bowls like the Fiesta Bowl. That's wrong. They do.

You also need to ask yourself how likely was it for UConn to go undefeated under the old system.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If UConn doesn't have a new athletic home in 3-5 years the program is destroyed. Not sure I see the connection to academics. If anything you could sell me that this administration is happy to sacrifice athletics for academics.

There aren't many outs. It all depends on the Big 10 and if they can either sell Virginia or if they hold their nose and invite Florida State. The Big 10 can rescue UConn but not in the way some here have deluded themselves.

UCONN WILL NEVER BE IN THE ACC. That league has had half a dozen chances to add UConn, and it hasn't. I don't know how who at ESPN has been pissed off by UConn, but ESPN has issued a death sentence to UConn, and any league controlled by ESPN will never, ever add UConn.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If UConn doesn't have a new athletic home in 3-5 years the program is destroyed. Not sure I see the connection to academics. If anything you could sell me that this administration is happy to sacrifice athletics for academics.

There aren't many outs. It all depends on the Big 10 and if they can either sell Virginia or if they hold their nose and invite Florida State. The Big 10 can rescue UConn but not in the way some here have deluded themselves.

What do you mean by the 'Big10 can rescue UConn, but not in the way some here have deluded themselves?' I'm guessing that means we have an outside shot of being team #18, but not next in line like some thing.

I think at some point the Big12 is going to want to get to 12 teams for a championship game. I'm guessing BYU, Cinci, USF and ourselves would have to be on their radar as I don't think an ACC squad is leaving unless it's for the B1G or SEC.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
UCONN WILL NEVER BE IN THE ACC. That league has had half a dozen chances to add UConn, and it hasn't. I don't know how who at ESPN has been pissed off by UConn, but ESPN has issued a death sentence to UConn, and any league controlled by ESPN will never, ever add UConn.

Forgetting your ESPN fetish for a bit, I don't see the ACC losing FSU and/or Miami without a Florida replacement. UCF or USF are both up and comers with money. Give them an ACC contract and they could easily fill a regional void. I keep harping on RayCom and Ohio as a recruiting move and a production move and a network placement move that potentially out maneuvers UConn given RayCom's 3 stations in Ohio (Cincy, Cleveland, Toledo). RayCom has no presence in NYC or CT and apparently doesn't care to compete at that level. They have two in Florida and are in the market for more.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
To go back to the subject line of the original post, I, too, look forward to UConn being in a good conference.

Let me know when that comes about.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I didn't say it was likely. But TCU, Utah, Cincy... They've gone undefeated and been in the top 5. It's not likely, not unheard of either for 4 teams to do it in 4 years. I can't go back to see what Fresno did when they were decent, but I think they did have a good year.

You also need to realize that I was responding to someone who said, categorically, that non-big conference teams no longer have access to bowls like the Fiesta Bowl. That's wrong. They do.

You also need to ask yourself how likely was it for UConn to go undefeated under the old system.

Could you be a stupider . THEY DONT HAVE ACCESS TO THE FOUR TEAM PLAYOFF.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What do you mean by the 'Big10 can rescue UConn, but not in the way some here have deluded themselves?' I'm guessing that means we have an outside shot of being team #18, but not next in line like some thing.

I think at some point the Big12 is going to want to get to 12 teams for a championship game. I'm guessing BYU, Cinci, USF and ourselves would have to be on their radar as I don't think an ACC squad is leaving unless it's for the B1G or SEC.

It means that UConn is not a serious candidate for the Big 10. That is just a concept that has been manufactured here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Did the snow disrupt your meds from coming in the mail? You were aggressively stupid overnight.

Reaction Score
Have you seen Boise's schedule in the past? It's interesting you tout them, because they were nowhere 10 years ago.

I was talking about present day. Boise and TCU have name recognition(present day) that the "casual" fan would reognize and possibly attend a UCONN vs. TCU/Boise St. matchup vs. UCONN/UCF for instance.

Reaction Score
I was talking about present day. Boise and TCU have name recognition(present day) that the "casual" fan would reognize and possibly attend a UCONN vs. TCU/Boise St. matchup vs. UCONN/UCF for instance.

Let's not confuse things. The question I was responding to was whether an opportunity to rise like Boise still exists today. It has nothing to do with Boise's name recognition. I mean, Boise came out of the blue (pardon the pun).

Reaction Score
Could you be a stupider . THEY DONT HAVE ACCESS TO THE FOUR TEAM PLAYOFF.

You are off your meds. You can't read now. And I know why. You don't want to read what I wrote. First, they do have access to the playoff, so you're wrong on that. second, I wrote they have access to the Fiesta Bowl. They do. Only a stupid idiot would counter that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are off your meds. You can't read now. And I know why. You don't want to read what I wrote. First, they do have access to the playoff, so you're wrong on that. second, I wrote they have access to the Fiesta Bowl. They do. Only a stupid idiot would counter that.

No one has countered that the five small conference don't have access for one team to a bigger bowl. Who gives a about access for one team of 60 to the Fiesta Bowl when all there is a playoff.

They have access on paper to the playoff, in practice they don't. None.

Reaction Score
No one has countered that the five small conference don't have access for one team to a bigger bowl. Who gives a about access for one team of 60 to the Fiesta Bowl when all there is a playoff.

They have access on paper to the playoff, in practice they don't. None.

Wow, the stupidity gets stupider.

My whole point about Boise was in response to someone who claimed that UConn can't play a team like Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. That's what this has been about from the start.

I've mentioned that to you 8 times.

Can you read?

As I already wrote, the question of the playoff is just a sideshow in all of this.

How could you have possibly have missed that?

Reaction Score
Let's not confuse things. The question I was responding to was whether an opportunity to rise like Boise still exists today. It has nothing to do with Boise's name recognition. I mean, Boise came out of the blue (pardon the pun).

Gotcha.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wow, the stupidity gets stupider.

My whole point about Boise was in response to someone who claimed that UConn can't play a team like Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. That's what this has been about from the start.

I've mentioned that to you 8 times.

Can you read?

As I already wrote, the question of the playoff is just a sideshow in all of this.

How could you have possibly have missed that?

I have never once said that a Big East team can't play a good team in one of the Access Bowls.

They don't have real access to the playoff and that is what matters.

Reaction Score
I have never once said that a Big East team can't play a good team in one of the Access Bowls.

They don't have real access to the playoff and that is what matters.

Whale22 said:
Boise State created that brand by getting access to the big game and beating Oklahoma in arguably one of the most exciting bowl games ever. That access will no longer exist. We are used as an excuse for why that system no longer exists. Call it fate or whatever you want but they took advantage of that access, for whatever the reason it backfired on us.
Upstater
That access will exist. You just have to win your games.

Whaler11
Uh no they won't be in the playoff. One will get an invite to a decent bowl.

Upstater:
The playoff selections will hew close to an RPI type index. If you look at the past decade, undefeated teams like Boise St. would have qualified in the top 4 of such an index. What you need then is a reason for excluding a team like Boise despite their ranking. But regardless, even if they're not in the playoff, they will still have the same opportunity Boise did, which is a big bowl game against top competition.

Reaction Score
Forgetting your ESPN fetish for a bit, I don't see the ACC losing FSU and/or Miami without a Florida replacement. UCF or USF are both up and comers with money. Give them an ACC contract and they could easily fill a regional void. I keep harping on RayCom and Ohio as a recruiting move and a production move and a network placement move that potentially out maneuvers UConn given RayCom's 3 stations in Ohio (Cincy, Cleveland, Toledo). RayCom has no presence in NYC or CT and apparently doesn't care to compete at that level. They have two in Florida and are in the market for more.

Isn't RayCom hooked up with the ACC and Swofford's son? I live in SE CT and I get NECN and NESN , which shows ACC games and some UConn games. NECN also reports some CT news. We've had them for quite sometime. No I don't have a point.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whale22 said:

Upstater

Whaler11

Upstater:

So I agreed they still have bowl access. Much less but it exists. Those bowls are even less important with a playoff, so that little access is even less valuable.

Reaction Score
So I agreed they still have bowl access. Much less but it exists. Those bowls are even less important with a playoff, so that little access is even less valuable.

How is it more or less valuable? The Fiesta is the Fiesta. Either way, it doesn't decide the championship. Oklahoma, for instance, was ranked 7th the year Boise played them. Either way, it was irrelevant.

Much less? Boise came out of the WAC and had to deal with one conference, the BE, having an autobid that took opportunities away from the non-BCS schools.

Reaction Score
Bowl access is the tip of the iceberg. The Big EAst champion, in the entire history of the conference, has never had a contract bowl home. It still doesn't. What This is a problem that the conference needs to address.

The access - is to the revenue sharing system, not to any particular game. It's about money, and always has been. This is the cartel of the current decade. The college football POST season revenue sharing around scheduling of games.

The cartel in the 80's-early 90s was built around the television broadcasting revenue sharing of the regular season scheduling of games. The bowl system took over, with the evolution of the Bowl Alliance system, which involved the creation of the Big EAst football conference, evolving into the BCS, which is now evolving into a pseudo-playoff.

What the current system of quote/unquote "access" to the bowl system entails - with a group of conferences all having automatic appearances, adn another group of conferences all vying for a limited access - is an accurate reflection of the revenue sharing plan for the college football post-season. the cartel is no longer the CFA, it's the loose group of conferences, that are bound together by post season contracts for game.

THat cartel has price fixed what their games are worth, and what the other games are worth, based on the total of what they are taking in from ESPN for the post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom