I'm not down. UConn fans should look forward to a good conference... | The Boneyard

I'm not down. UConn fans should look forward to a good conference...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The basketball side has the ability to become excellent. I envision a drag at the bottom with Tulane and East Carolina. SMU, UCF and USF may get some bball traction. UCF already beat UConn last year. USF may now get breathing space with less competition, and we'll see what Larry Brown can do with SMU. But Cincy, Temple, UConn, Memphis and Houston may become a formidable 5 in the next several years.

I am very concerned about football. Recruiting, it stands to reason will be tougher. Simply put, the new conference will have to start shredding CUSA, the MAC and the Sun Belt for the best remaining talent. It needs to become what the old BE used to be, the 6th best conference. And at that point, the recruits will start flowing back and away from the bottom feeders of the ACC.

We see this already as BC is being starved of talent as punishment for losing. UConn had a better class despite its future in the conference. Schools like Houston and SMU might rise to the occasion the way Houston did in the last couple years.

Even if no one invites UConn into the big conferences, winning in a good strong league will present problems for the former BCS schools. When the time comes for the big split, they will have a great deal of difficulty in dealing with the MWC and the BE. I know we're saying lawsuits won't cut it right now, but 10 years down the road, there might be an armageddon.

One of the cleaves is going to be paying players. That's going to be used to differentiate between the two sets of schools.

Reaction Score
In theory, I do agree that UConn could survive in this conference basketball wise. However, with the current TV contract, the football team will hemorrhage money at such a fatal clip, that the entire university including all athletic programs will suffer. So, again, the question becomes.............if we arent invited to dance with the big boys, do we dissolve the football program, join the C-7. Hearing what I am hearing now, that doesnt sound so bad to me.

Also, in theory, I would love for UConn, although I realize its not feasible, to be the first to break away from the NCAA and to start paying its athletes. Not sure how that would impact football, but it will destroy the basketball model as we know it. Hell, if we go down, why not bring the entire system with us!!!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The basketball side has the ability to become excellent. I envision a drag at the bottom with Tulane and East Carolina. SMU, UCF and USF may get some bball traction. UCF already beat UConn last year. USF may now get breathing space with less competition, and we'll see what Larry Brown can do with SMU. But Cincy, Temple, UConn, Memphis and Houston may become a formidable 5 in the next several years.

In my opinion, as a football conference its ok. As a basketball conference it is freaking terrible. It has the ability to become excellent as a technicality. It will not.

It is a horrific basketball conference. UCF is going through crippling sanctions. Houston is terrible. Temple is a hit or miss program, not nearly as good as VCU or Butler in national recognition or playing ability.

Memphis, UConn and Cincy. That's it. That's the foundation of the bb conference. The rest of it is a total unmitigated disaster.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, as a football conference its ok. As a basketball conference it is freaking terrible. It has the ability to become excellent as a technicality. It will not.

It is a horrific basketball conference. UCF is going through crippling sanctions. Houston is terrible. Temple is a hit or miss program, not nearly as good as VCU or Butler in national recognition or playing ability.

Memphis, UConn and Cincy. That's it. That's the foundation of the bb conference. The rest of it is a total unmitigated disaster.

Man, you are tasting the flavor of the month. Temple isn't as good as VCU or Butler now. But Temple has a long history of being very good, and better than those two other schools. They are not so far down that they can't beat a top ranked Syracuse team in MSG! I'm not certain that either VCU or Butler could do that, despite their coaches who will soon be out the door. I wouldn't be surprised if Stevens ends up at UNC soon the way Roy is killing it down there, and I do mean killing it.

I'm continually astonished at how highly you rate the CYO7 and how lowly you rate the BE. It defies belief.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score

Isn't what you describe exactly what the ACC has been for years, North Carolina and Duke plus the dwarfs?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I...don't...like it!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Butler has been struggling, but winning so far, in the A10. I'm not convinced there is a ton of long-term value in the C7 plus whatever, as they have always benefited from being in a conference with national programs like Cuse and UConn.

zls44

Reaction Score
I'm not certain that either VCU or Butler could do that, despite their coaches who will soon be out the door.

Butler beat Indiana on a neutral court. That is way, way more impressive IMO than beating Cuse on a neutral court, because I think IU is way better than SU.

The only place Brad Stevens will go is Duke. Of this I am near-certain. Shaka may be more willing to leave, but it's a very small list.

I'm continually astonished at how highly you rate the CYO7 and how lowly you rate the BE. It defies belief.

I'm continually amazed at how you can just ignore reality. The CYO7 schools are better brands. They have more fans. They have higher ratings. They are a proven commodity, proven by the fact that Fox was willing to destroy the Big East to get them.

It doesn't matter that half of them have stunk this century, just like what the Big East's record in BCS and bowl games does not matter.

Reaction Score
Butler beat Indiana on a neutral court. That is way, way more impressive IMO than beating Cuse on a neutral court, because I think IU is way better than SU.

The only place Brad Stevens will go is Duke. Of this I am near-certain. Shaka may be more willing to leave, but it's a very small list.

I'm continually amazed at how you can just ignore reality. The CYO7 schools are better brands. They have more fans. They have higher ratings. They are a proven commodity, proven by the fact that Fox was willing to destroy the Big East to get them.

It doesn't matter that half of them have stunk this century, just like it doesn't matter what the Big East's record in BCS and bowl games does not matter.

I think the CYO7 is better, but it doesn't have the headroom this conference does. Nor does it have big state universities like UConn, Temple and Cincy. UConn is a big dog in all this, and playing against UConn will draw some talent to schools like Houston and Temple. Don't forget that the BE largely stayed alive in the 1990s precisely in this fashion.

You wildly overrate the fanbases of small Catholic schools, and only a few of them are big and have brands (Nova, G'town, Marquette...Butler and VCU -- if they're even in the new conference -- are building brands, but no one can convince me that in 10 years we won't be thinking of Butler and VCU the same way we now think of Valparaiso or Richmond).

zls44

Reaction Score
Isn't what you describe exactly what the ACC has been for years, North Carolina and Duke plus the dwarfs?

There's a difference between what they have been (what you described) and what their value is as programs (Clemson, FSU, GT, Maryland, Miami are all solid brands).

Reaction Score
There's a difference between what they have been (what you described) and what their value is as programs (Clemson, FSU, GT, Maryland, Miami are all solid brands).
I somehow also would think BC has a better chance of being good nationally over Central Florida or East Carolina.

Reaction Score
Just as a test ZLS. The CYO7 and the BE decide to stick together in the same conference: who would you rather be? Temple or Butler or VCU?

Rank'em

Reaction Score
I somehow also would think BC has a better chance of being good nationally over Central Florida or East Carolina.

Basketball, yes, likely. Not sure over UCF in football.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I hate to say it but I'm getting very discouraged.

It's like in "Lethal Weapon" when the General is telling Danny Glover that there are no heroes anymore.

I'm waiting for Mel Gibson to break the neck of the guy that is torturing him and busts into the room and gets Glover and his daughter free.

Someone please tell me that Mel Gibson is coming. Please?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I hate to say it but I'm getting very discouraged.

It's like in "Lethal Weapon" when the General is telling Danny Glover that there are no heroes anymore.

I'm waiting for Mel Gibson to break the neck of the guy that is torturing him and busts into the room and gets Glover and his daughter free.

Someone please tell me that Mel Gibson is coming. Please?
They may take our conference, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!!!!!
02.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

It doesn't matter that half of them have stunk this century, just like what the Big East's record in BCS and bowl games does not matter.
Fox didn't destroy the Big East, ESPN did. Fox just swept in to pick up pieces in the fire sale.

Reaction Score
My young kids love going to the college football games but now that they're playing sports of their own it's going to be much harder to skip one of their games to go to Uconn - Memphis/Tulane than it was for UConn - WVU/RU/Cuse. Brands matter and I think the NBC bid shows you how much these new brands bring to the table. Jumping from 1-aa to Conf USA then to BCS would have been one thing but to jump from 1-AA to BCS then backwards to Conf USA? Look how well Hartford supports the AHL. CT's casual fans (not those on this board per se) are front runners, and if you take away brand names and replace them with Conf USA. Doesn't matter how excited "upstater" is he'll be one of 1,500 fans in the stands.

Reaction Score
UConn just needs to win. A winning record will bring the fans. A good winning record means they are ranked. People showed up for Buffalo and Murray St. and Rhode Island and all the other 2nd tier games. In a couple years, this will be the slate: Cincy, East Carolina, Navy, Houston, USF. People will actually show up to those games.

Reaction Score
UConn just needs to win. A winning record will bring the fans. A good winning record means they are ranked. People showed up for Buffalo and Murray St. and Rhode Island and all the other 2nd tier games. In a couple years, this will be the slate: Cincy, East Carolina, Navy, Houston, USF. People will actually show up to those games.

UConn needs to win versus quality opponents and their wins need to matter. A win vs Tulane that may get us in a bowl game in Toronto wont help fill the seats. UConn is where it is today, both the football and basketball programs, because at the time each program respectively used "stronger" big east teams as a springboard. It helped get better recruits and better coaches. Coach Calhoun always said that at first, he went into homes telling guys in the late 80s that they can play vs teams like "Georgetown, St. Johns, Syracuse, etc"......The NBE is a death sentence anyway you look at it and this tv deal is the nail in the coffin.

Reaction Score
UConn needs to win versus quality opponents and their wins need to matter. A win vs Tulane that may get us in a bowl game in Toronto wont help fill the seats. UConn is where it is today, both the football and basketball programs, because at the time each program respectively used "stronger" big east teams as a springboard. It helped get better recruits and better coaches. Coach Calhoun always said that at first, he went into homes telling guys in the late 80s that they can play vs teams like "Georgetown, St. Johns, Syracuse, etc"......The NBE is a death sentence anyway you look at it and this tv deal is the nail in the coffin.

Upstater, I like your enthusiasm but the NBC deal is telling you what your new conf is worth.

Reaction Score

If you're talking basketball, NC State also has a solid enough brand. 2 titles--Jim Valvano...

Reaction Score

Have you taken a look at Boise St's regular season schedule?

Reaction Score
Upstater, I like your enthusiasm but the NBC deal is telling you what your new conf is worth.

I realize that. I also understand that when Utah, BYU, TCU were in the MWC, they were wroth $400k, and when Boise St. was in the WAC, they were worth two frozen packages of fishsticks. The point is, win and fans will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom