I'm not crazy about hiring DC for HC. Sounds like more boring football. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I'm not crazy about hiring DC for HC. Sounds like more boring football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
His recruiting philosophy is interesting. No small guys.

Bigger RBs. Bigger DBs.

I assume this means he's going to recruit a bunch of skinny, tall athletic guys and develop them.

Reaction Score
His recruiting philosophy is interesting. No small guys.

Bigger RBs. Bigger DBs.

I assume this means he's going to recruit a bunch of skinny, tall athletic guys and develop them.

Where are you getting that from? Not doubting you but I would like to read it.

Reaction Score

Sorry, I read it this morning in one of the million articles on him. I really think it may be in the California Bears article.

Reaction Score

It's in here but more defense focused obviously. No mention of offense.

>>"He's a big fan of size when recruiting players on defense. He said he doesn't chase players based on single features such as size or production. He says he wants the total package (though big packages may be better)."<<

>>"It depends on the position and the position needs," Diaco told Irish Illustrated. "When you go out to recruit, you have to look at your position to then, inside of that, make some small choices to keep the position moving forward. You look at your position and you say, ‘Hey, will this player make the position better?’ Some years it’s size, some years maybe it’s intangible traits like toughness, aggressiveness. Some years it might be speed.<<

Here are two more:

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2012/07/11/taking-a-closer-look-at-the-irish-recruiting-machine/

http://irish.nbcsports.com/2012/08/20/diaco-gives-insight-into-recruiting-defensive-players/

Narduzzi articles were saying the same type of things. Fitting players were you need them based on size and skills. Coach speak - I don't lose sleep over it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can you expand on this? I don't think they've ever been on the same coaching staff.
Read it on this board, and also read the article that the poster or tweeter linked. They somehow know each other, maybe because of Kelly, though they did not work for him at they same time. If I can find it I will post it.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

He said it to a group of ND boosters I believe. It is the Pete Carroll approach tall fast hard hitters that can flat run sideline to sideline.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Umm. Who said this guy is not energetic? Are you watching this press conference (or is it a meeting with the media? I get confused)?

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Umm. Who said this guy is not energetic? Are you watching this press conference (or is it a meeting with the media? I get confused)?
TV? Locally or SNY?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Uconnhuskies.com

Reaction Score
Text from connected ND fan: "Looks lik you'll steal Mike Elston as well. Poop. "Was DL coach, sounds like Diaco wants him as DC." "Not official yet, but I'd bet he leaves."

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but next year we play Stony Brook, Army, and I'm quite sure a few crappy AAC teams. 5-7 will be a fail. Just like it was a fail for P.
Whose crappy in the AAC. Rutgers is gone replaced by ECU
Even Tulane is in a bowl.
The weak sisters are South Fla. and
Temple , former Big East teams.
Seven wins would be good

Reaction Score
TouchdownHusky said:
Or maybe a Doc Blanchard & Glenn Davis type running game. Army used to be a national power, and their fans enjoyed that too. And for the record, the Donald Brown years were filled with 4-8 (1-6), 9-4 (5-2) and 8-5 (3-3) records for a grand total of 21-17 and 9-11 record for in conference. It would appear that the Donald Brown (and I really did enjoy watching BTW) type running game may have eaten up more clock than it did to score points. Keeping opposing O's off the field? How about just out scoring them?

The crazier thing is that total conference wins under DB = total conference wins under seasons in the PP era.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That is very debatable. P went 5-7 and nobody liked it. Diaco is being handed a competent QB, P was not.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that Diaco buys an older (but quite nice) house that happens to have paint peeling in the study. Foolishly he eats the paint chips, causing brain damage, leading him to decide our best approach is to field only seven players, all wide receivers, for every play, offense, defense and special teams. Leading us to an 0-12 record in 2014 where we are outscored 11,447 - 0.

Shy of something that drastic, I don't believe we are currently in a position to determine if the 2014 season can be viewed (in advance) as a success or failure based on a speculative middling won-lost record (nearly any won-lost record for that matter). We will be able to give the upcoming season the eye test and afterwards it is every bit as possible that 5-7 looked like a good coaching job as 7-5 (plus bowl game) having looked like a bad one.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
It is not out of the realm of possibility that Diaco buys an older (but quite nice) house that happens to have paint peeling in the study. Foolishly he eats the paint chips, causing brain damage, leading him to decide our best approach is to field only seven players, all wide receivers, for every play, offense, defense and special teams. Leading us to an 0-12 record in 2014 where we are outscored 11,447 - 0.

Wow, had a few of those "chips" yourself? ;) Chuckling as I write this and applaud the creativity to make your point, but your "realm of the possible" seems just a tad On The Far Sidish. ;) Nonetheless, I trust BD is now able to afford a newer home not in dire need of paint.

Reaction Score
That's one example. Every Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, or Ravens title was based on an amazing defense. Of course you have to run a competent offense, but that doesn't mean you have to be throwing the ball all over. Think of Stanford v Oregon this year when the Cardinal stuffed them on D and just ran the ball down their throats at 7 yards a clip. Twas truly a thing of beauty. A strong ball control offense to compliment a smothering D is the recipe I like.

Save it. Air Cochran, baby. This program hasn't had this much excitement in years. Heck, it hasn't had this much offense in years. Do they need to throw 56 times a game (and in a game their winning and not playing catch up)? Probably not. But 40 passes a game would be a good base. Air UConn! Finally some contemporary offense for fans to see.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Save it. Air Cochran, baby. This program hasn't had this much excitement in years. Heck, it hasn't had this much offense in years. Do they need to throw 56 times a game (and in a game their winning and not playing catch up)? Probably not. But 40 passes a game would be a good base. Air UConn! Finally some contemporary offense for fans to see.

Who are some of the teams you'd like us to emulate? There aren't many good teams that air it out a lot. I can think of Baylor, Okie St, and that is about it.

Reaction Score
Who are some of the teams you'd like us to emulate? There aren't many good teams that air it out a lot. I can think of Baylor, Okie St, and that is about it.

Think of it in baseball terms. When a team can't match up offensively from top of the order to bottom of the order, they many times can "ride" a hot pitcher to a win. Pitching in baseball is often times the great equalizer. In football, you can compensate for not having the best talent on the field position for position, by "riding" a hot QB and talented WR's. They often can carry a club. No way Texas A&M is as good or as talent up and down the line as the Alabama team they beat last year, but Manziell and his receivers compensate for the talent disparity

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Think of it in baseball terms. When a team can't match up offensively from top of the order to bottom of the order, they many times can "ride" a hot pitcher to a win. Pitching in baseball is often times the great equalizer. In football, you can compensate for not having the best talent on the field position for position, by "riding" a hot QB and talented WR's. They often can carry a club. No way Texas A&M is as good or as talent up and down the line as the Alabama team they beat last year, but Manziell and his receivers compensate for the talent disparity

LOL, you aren't often going to have a guy like Johnny Football back there. Also, last year's Texas A&M OL was better than Bama's front 4. They had Joeckel, Matthews, and a couple other OL that were as good as any in the country. A&M ran the ball well last year (over 3000 yards as a team). This year they don't, and they have 4 losses with the best player in the country at QB. Defense tends to be much more reliable, and controlling the football on the the ground is critical to successful football teams. Even teams that like to air it out are at their best when they can run the ball well. I am not suggesting you don't try and score a lot (see my post about Pete Carroll and Nick Saban), just that you don't have to throw the ball 40 times to win titles. No NC team has ever averaged throwing the ball 40 times per game.

Also, the pitcher is "Defense" in baseball, so your analogy sort of reinforces my point.

Reaction Score
LOL, you aren't often going to have a guy like Johnny Football back there. Also, last year's Texas A&M OL was better than Bama's front 4. They had Joeckel, Matthews, and a couple other OL that were as good as any in the country. A&M ran the ball well last year (over 3000 yards as a team). This year they don't, and they have 4 losses with the best player in the country at QB. Defense tends to be much more reliable, and controlling the football on the the ground is critical to successful football teams. Even teams that like to air it out are at their best when they can run the ball well. I am not suggesting you don't try and score a lot (see my post about Pete Carroll and Nick Saban), just that you don't have to throw the ball 40 times to win titles. No NC team has ever averaged throwing the ball 40 times per game.

Couple of points of clarification are in order:

1. I'm not against having a great defense. I'll take the '85 Bears facsimile in we can get that quality of player. Heck, 3-and-out, 3-and-out, 3-and-out . . . . leaves way more time for offense.

2. If and when the time comes that UConn is attracting the level and depth of talent to contend for the NC, I'll be fine with them throwing less than 40 times per game.

3. Right now though UConn is trying to rebuild what they already had a good start on. They are trying to rebuild (and increase) a fan base, they are attempting to position themselves for an invite to a Power 5 conference and in doing so want to be able to tout widespread interest in an exciting program. Best chance to get there quickest is to be an exciting, high scoring team that more often than not puts more points on the board then their opponents.

Reaction Score
As long as you have a good D and STs if you can run the ball and kill clock you will usually win! Everyone today is obsessed with high flying offense's that look pretty when they click but I'm a traditionalist. I hate all the new rules favoring the O!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I haven't read through all of the responses to this thread (so I apologize if I'm repeating), but obviously the OP didn't watch the presser. One of the many, many great moments from Diaco's press conference yesterday was when he described his vision of the offense. He wants to throw the ball down field ALOT. Warde even chimed in with a "that's why I love him" comment that got quite the chuckle. He's the perfect marriage of what we want and need: a great defensive mind that seems to lean more towards an aggressive philosophy on offense. It's nice to score alot of points but what's the point if you have a crummy defense? With Diaco, we hope to have both.

Reaction Score
As long as we win no one will be bored. I get bored watching pretty high flying offenses that can't stop anyone! It'll be interesting to see if Boise can keep it going w/o Chris Petersen? Seems Fresno already is passing them by in the MWC? CP see the writing on the wall ?

Reaction Score
As long as we win no one will be bored. I get bored watching pretty high flying offenses that can't stop anyone! It'll be interesting to see if Boise can keep it going w/o Chris Petersen? Seems Fresno already is passing them by in the MWC? CP see the writing on the wall ?

And there are people out there who get bored watching all those pesky homeruns in baseball. And don't even get them started about doubles and triples. Raise the pitchers mound and move the fences back is their mantra. Same for soccer, people in this country absolutely love the sport because of the prospects that maybe they'll actually see a goal before the teams pull back on defense to totally stifle any further attacks on goal.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
And there are people out there who get bored watching all those pesky homeruns in baseball. And don't even get them started about doubles and triples. Raise the pitchers mound and move the fences back is their mantra. Same for soccer, people in this country absolutely love the sport because of the prospects that maybe they'll actually see a goal before the teams pull back on defense to totally stifle any further attacks on goal.

TDH, I enjoy that you can discuss our opposing views rationally. I am sure we both agree that the most fun thing to watch is winning games, regardless of how it happens. Can't wait for August already. Cheers !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom