I'm not crazy about hiring DC for HC. Sounds like more boring football. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm not crazy about hiring DC for HC. Sounds like more boring football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bill Belichick is a defensive coach. He has won 10 out of the last 11 AFC East titles and 3 out of 5 Super Bowls. His team holds the (current) record for most points in a season, with a 6th round draft pick quarterback who holds the record (currently) for most TD passes in a season.

Brian Billick was an offensive master mind. The 2007 Patriots broke his Minnesota Vikings scoring record (led by Randal Freakin' Cunningham). He won the Super Bowl with a team that did not score an offensive TD for 5 game and a scrap heap QB who's main job duty was to turn around and give the ball to Jamal Lewis.

Good coaches can coach. Period.

Totally agree with your last statement. The OP is throwing out a red herring. As an avowed N.Y. Giants fan, you need look no farther than the Giants Coaching tree for proof. You mentioned Belichick. His mentor, Bill Parcells was first a defensive coordinator, yet won two Super Bowls & participated in a third as a head coach due to recruitment of talent. Farther back, Tom Landry was both a defensive back & a defensive coordinator for the Giants during their "Golden Era" of the 50s, yet became such an offensive genius due to talent procured that he turned an expansion Dallas Cowboys franchise in "America's Team." Find a person that can Coach, & you've trapped lightening in a bottle.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hope Diaco will prove me wrong.

Yeah, those Patriots offenses under Bill Belichick never score any points and are boring to watch. Just 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Hopefully Santa brings a clue in you stocking this year.

Reaction Score
I consider a 21-3 win to be a dominating win. I enjoy seeing our D sack the opposing QB, stuff the run, force fumbles and make INT's, especially pick-6's. If we get a Donald Brown type running game that eats up the clock it keeps the opposing O off the field, I enjoy that too. TDH gets no joy from any of that. His loss.
Or maybe a Doc Blanchard & Glenn Davis type running game. Army used to be a national power, and their fans enjoyed that too. And for the record, the Donald Brown years were filled with 4-8 (1-6), 9-4 (5-2) and 8-5 (3-3) records for a grand total of 21-17 and 9-11 record for in conference. It would appear that the Donald Brown (and I really did enjoy watching BTW) type running game may have eaten up more clock than it did to score points. Keeping opposing O's off the field? How about just out scoring them?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
And for the record, the Donald Brown years were filled with 4-8 (1-6), 9-4 (5-2) and 8-5 (3-3) records for a grand total of 21-17 and 9-11 record for in conference. It would appear that the Donald Brown (and I really did enjoy watching BTW) type running game may have eaten up more clock than it did to score points. Keeping opposing O's off the field? How about just out scoring them?

This

Reaction Score
Play booklet has to be more than RE & PP's 3 pages of run right, run left, run up the middle.
Hey, you take that back...well the part about P's playbook anyway. Didn't you read where George De Leon had enough plays to wallpaper his house? Of course they were all for the single wing, but hey, there were lots of them.

Reaction Score
If the support for Diaco was unanimous here I'd be worried it was a bad move. The more against it the better ;)
He should be given all our support. If after 3 years no progress seems to be getting made, it will be time to criticize. He needs a few years to get his players and his system in place. I'd love to see an overnight miracle, but is that realisitc?

Reaction Score
Is that you P?

A few years? Oh please God not a few more years of losing football. If we start hearing that.......

This game is about Jimmy's and Joe's more than X's and O's.

If Diaco goes 5-7 next year, he's done a great job and should be applauded. Don't set him up to fail.

Reaction Score
This game is about Jimmy's and Joe's more than X's and O's.

If Diaco goes 5-7 next year, he's done a great job and should be applauded. Don't set him up to fail.

That is very debatable. P went 5-7 and nobody liked it. Diaco is being handed a competent QB, P was not.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That is very debatable.

Well we saw the all conference teams yesterday and Uconn will not bring back a single player who made all conference. So, there is a bunch of folks you can debate with about it...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
6-6 is the floor, but eligibility does not guarantee a post season game, especially in the AAC. I'd like to see 7-5.

Reaction Score
Well we saw the all conference teams yesterday and Uconn will not bring back a single player who made all conference. So, there is a bunch of folks you can debate with about it...

I'm sorry, but next year we play Stony Brook, Army, and I'm quite sure a few crappy AAC teams. 5-7 will be a fail. Just like it was a fail for P.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That is very debatable. P went 5-7 and nobody liked it. Diaco is being handed a competent QB, P was not.

P went 5-7 with an 8-4 team. P chose to go with the walk-on. The guy he ran off the team is now a star.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Totally agree with your last statement. The OP is throwing out a red herring. As an avowed N.Y. Giants fan, you need look no farther than the Giants Coaching tree for proof. You mentioned Belichick. His mentor, Bill Parcells was first a defensive coordinator, yet won two Super Bowls & participated in a third as a head coach due to recruitment of talent. Farther back, Tom Landry was both a defensive back & a defensive coordinator for the Giants during their "Golden Era" of the 50s, yet became such an offensive genius due to talent procured that he turned an expansion Dallas Cowboys franchise in "America's Team." Find a person that can Coach, & you've trapped lightening in a bottle.

Nick Saban and Pete Carroll are two other shining examples. Both guys love to score points, but they adore defense.

Reaction Score
P went 5-7 with an 8-4 team. P chose to go with the walk-on. The guy he ran off the team is now a star.

I have watched several Fordham games, Cochran is better than Nebrich and I like Nebrich.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You are so full of crap. If TJ was the hire and I came on this board and said 5-7 would be a good year you would go crazy.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I actually think it's the other way around. If you need a two minute offense in the Super Bowl or NFC championship to get that winning field goal or TD, the defense while so important is on the sideline watching. Also, remember the greatest NFL defense in history (arguably), never won a Super Bowl or post season anything. I remember that defense so well, and remember how they just pushed opposing offenses up and down the field almost at will. It was incredible to watch, and I almost became an Eagles fan that year. Bottom line was though, their offense really sucked.

http://collingswood.patch.com/groups/mike-divineys-blog/p/bp--defenses-ferocity-makes-it-best-ever

That's one example. Every Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, or Ravens title was based on an amazing defense. Of course you have to run a competent offense, but that doesn't mean you have to be throwing the ball all over. Think of Stanford v Oregon this year when the Cardinal stuffed them on D and just ran the ball down their throats at 7 yards a clip. Twas truly a thing of beauty. A strong ball control offense to compliment a smothering D is the recipe I like.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's one example. Every Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, or Ravens title was based on an amazing defense. Of course you have to run a competent offense, but that doesn't mean you have to be throwing the ball all over. Think of Stanford v Oregon this year when the Cardinal stuffed them on D and just ran the ball down their throats at 7 yards a clip. Twas truly a thing of beauty. A strong ball control offense to compliment a smothering D is the recipe I like.

Am I the only one who went from eagerly awaiting the Rose Bowl and watching Coach Narduzzi's defense, to hoping that Stanford tears MSU a new one, to being overwhelmingly ambivalent about the Rose Bowl in the span of about 5 hours?

Reaction Score
How many times do you have to hear: "Offense Wins Games, Defense Wins Championships".

Balance and excellent play on both sides of the ball is what we need. Last year we had a kick defense and we won 5 games.

Reaction Score
Can you expand on this? I don't think they've ever been on the same coaching staff.
I just checked their wikipedia profiles. They have never coached on the same staff together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom