I'm not a big fan of bootlicking, but UConn's got to win some friends,might as well start with Michi | The Boneyard

I'm not a big fan of bootlicking, but UConn's got to win some friends,might as well start with Michi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Specifically the game next year with Michigan.

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-f...e-played-in-meadowlands-but-huskies-declined/

"We would prefer to play the game at another place, we've made specific proposals that have what I would consider to be more than compelling financial incentives to move the game," Brandon said. "Life is politics, and my understanding is that in the state of Connecticut, when the state (gave) dollars for that stadium, because it's not a university stadium ... they put in a legislation that UConn could not move a game off or away from that stadium.

"It would literally take some kind of waiver or act from their state legislature to move the game."

If it helps in the future, be it realignment or further scheduling, then UConn needs to look like they are the most reasonable school in the world. Michigan is to the Big 10 what USC is to the Pac 12, Alabama to the SEC, Texas to the Big 12. They are the top dog.

As for season ticket holders, all 15k of them next year, they are the diehards that understand the realpolitik of all of this.

With respect to future scheduling, that is, if UConn does this with Michigan then we'd have to do it for teamx x and y. My answer, since we have no OOC games in 2014 and only one in 2015, the new reality is that beggars can't be choosers.

And UConn will be in a beggars conference. So uconn has very little to lose and everything to gain if Manuel reopens talks with Michigan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Little to lose? Do you have season tickets?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This thread comes down to whether or not you believe that rescheduling one game with Michigan to a stadium of their choice changes your chances of getting into a conference.

I, personally, do not believe this is the case. Not even remotely...

Reaction Score
I'm with the OP on this. We ought not to be making another enemy at this point in time. If they want it in New York, then let's go. And I am a season ticket holder. It's the bowl game we missed the last two years. Weather should be good.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't think moving the game would have any affect on UConn's ability to get into the B1G, but at the very least, it would open a line of communication with Brandon. Keep those back channels churning!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm with the OP on this. We ought not to be making another enemy at this point in time. If they want it in New York, then let's go. And I am a season ticket holder. It's the bowl game we missed the last two years. Weather should be good.

Michigan in NY is effectively a road game. They will outdraw us. If it has to go to an NFL stadium (and I'd vote not to move it) then send it to Foxboro, where we at least have a chance of a home field edge. Personally, I think this has no effect on realignment at all.

Reaction Score
The important thing, of course, is that Michigan would like to play us in the Meadowlands. Is it going to happen next fall -- no, it's not (unless it's a condition to Big Ten membership). But the very fact that Michigan wants that game for its own reasons has to be part of what we're selling to the BiG.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Ann Arbor sure liked my money when I went out there for the UConn / Michigan game.
Why should East Rutherford, NJ get what is due to East Hartford?

How about the Yale Bowl?
That holds 61,500.
And I can finally get inside and see a game after all those UConn / Yale bowl tailgates I never left the parking lot for.

Reaction Score
Michigan in NY is effectively a road game. They will outdraw us. If it has to go to an NFL stadium (and I'd vote not to move it) then send it to Foxboro, where we at least have a chance of a home field edge. Personally, I think this has no effect on realignment at all.

If we can't sell half the seats to the Meadlowlands in a game against Michigan, than we would have no one but ourselves to blame and shouldn't think we're deserving of getting out of our current conference situation. Period.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If we can't sell half the seats to the Meadlowlands in a game against Michigan, than we would have no one but ourselves to blame and shouldn't think we're deserving of getting out of our current conference situation. Period.

And therein lies the answer. But the Meadowlands is 145 miles from Storrs (153 if you take 84). Gillette is 83 miles (the long way). Traffic to NJ is also much, much heavier. So driving time is at least double. Michigan wants NJ for the money and because they have a big alumni base in NYC. Gillete provides the same increased gate receipts, and some opportunity for their alumni, but opens up the game for more UConn fans.

Reaction Score
If we move to the Ten, I expect us to use each venue occasionally for home games, with Gillette being more frequent. But seriously -- traffic? If you leave Hartford at 8 on a Saturday morning you would expect to be pulling into the parking lot at the Meadowlands by 10. And you would be home for dinner (assuming noon kickoff) Please let's not make this seem like some superhuman effort.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Oh, BS. Offering to move a home out of state on the hopes that someone will like us reeks of desperation. No one likes desperate, it's a turn-off. If they move the game it will be the 1st home game I miss in the D-1 era. Screw it.

Reaction Score
Ann Arbor sure liked my money when I went out there for the UConn / Michigan game.

How about the Yale Bowl?
That holds 61,500.
And I can finally get inside and see a game after all those UConn / Yale bowl tailgates I never left the parking lot for.
I'm good with this - Would be a lot of fun. But Giants stadium would be better.

Reaction Score
Oh, BS. Offering to move a home out of state on the hopes that someone will like us reeks of desperation. No one likes desperate, it's a turn-off. If they move the game it will be the 1st home game I miss in the D-1 era. Screw it.
Reeks of desperation? You're not desperate? We're not desperate? Funny, I thought we were. Seems it, anyway.

Reaction Score

How about the Yale Bowl?
That holds 61,500.

1256875135103.gif

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If Michigan wants to play the game on the moon, I'm cool with that.

First, we're going to need the cash. Second, we're really going to need the cash. Third, playing hardball here doesn't nothing but assure that we've played Michigan for the very last time.

Remember when the state played hardball with Notre Dame? Yeah, that worked out for us.

Reaction Score

Right we are not desperate, those future Memphis and Tulane FB games will really bring the house down.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Keeping the game in The Rent is hardball? Geez, maybe we could just forfeit.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Keeping the game in The Rent is hardball? Geez, maybe we could just forfeit.

I'm with you on this one.

1) Michigan has already agreed to play it at The Rent. That already makes it different than the Notre Dame decision that people are comparing this to.
2) Moving this game to a site of Michigan's choosing IMO does not in any way, shape, or form influence our ability (or lack thereof) of getting into the B1G.

Not sure why people are harping on this so much, as I don't see an "end-game" to it...

Reaction Score
Having this game in East Hartford is a chance to be on the front page of every paper in state probably for the whole week. Its going to be a hot ticket and everyone is going to try to score tickets. You'll see when people who never been to a game are trying to buy YOUR tickets to surprise their husband.

Why can't we agree to a future series with Michigan with games a the Meadowland s?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just tell them that if they can get us in the B1G by March we'll move the game back to Michigan
Exactly.

Reaction Score
This thread comes down to whether or not you believe that rescheduling one game with Michigan to a stadium of their choice changes your chances of getting into a conference.

I, personally, do not believe this is the case. Not even remotely...
One must have hope...

Reaction Score
We played these chumps in Ann Arbor, now its their turn to play in East Hartford. They signed the contract, if they don't like it, tough noogies. Screw playing in the Meadowlands or Gillette Stadiums. We play in our house. If it is a one shot deal then maybe a neutral site. However, if we play you at home, then you play us at home. Screw the arrogant bastards at Michigan and Notre Dame!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We played these chumps in Ann Arbor, now its their turn to play in East Hartford. They signed the contract, if they don't like it, tough noogies.

And we were doing them a favor. How about if they just show some class and repay a debt without the bellyaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom