I'm just not so sure now...... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm just not so sure now......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stewart has not only looked like a starter...she's looked like the best player on the court over the last 3 games. It'll be interesting to see how she responds on TAMU's home court...I couldn't be more optimistic!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Especially with a full court press.
Exactly. Because if BS gets a touch on the ball at the top of the press, even if it's only a deflection, it probably results in a UConn score. Which means it's extremely hard for the opposing team to handle mentally.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Doty will start, assuming she is physically able to go. Don't underestimate Auriemma's loyalty to a player like Doty. I agree that in the big scheme of things, who starts is no big deal, but being a starter on a team like UConn is a great personal achievement.
I have a different memory of Sauer losing her starting job. I thought there was a lot of talk about effort (or lack of) at the time. I'm not saying I'm right, just saying that's how I remember it.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Just a reminder: At the start of the 2002-2003 season, Ann Strother AND Nicole Wolff, both Freshmen, started over returning players Maria Conlon, and Ashley and Morgan Valley.

So, starting Freshmen is not unprecedented.

Reaction Score
We, UConn fans all love CD but in this case to start her over BS just makes no sense aside than the loyalty of Geno to his RS Senior. UConn is simply a much better team with BS in the lineup from the very beginning as you have 2 real bigs and Kelly doesn’t have to kill herself to fight people who are 2-4 inches taller, it helps SD to avoid picking up early fouls, it balances the roster as was mentioned before, the defense is so much better and more flexible and instead of playing with one post, you can play a real high low game. So, in short: start BS for the sake of UConn being stronger from the very beginning of the game.

Reaction Score
Just a reminder: At the start of the 2002-2003 season, Ann Strother AND Nicole Wolff, both Freshmen, started over returning players Maria Conlon, and Ashley and Morgan Valley.

Colon and the Valleys were not starters in 2001-2002.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I believe that the starting lineup should be Hartley, KML, Faris, Stewart and Dolson. I think Geno will opt with Doty, KML, Hartley, Faris, and Dolson based on his previous history with freshman. I will not be surprised if he continues to keep stewart in the starting lineup for the fact that she makes them a more balanced team 1-5. However, Hartley will not start the first game she returns as injured players usually need to prove themselves in practice, not to say she hasn't already proven herself by being a WBCA all american. She will be a starter once healthy. I think Geno will understand that having a strong start, especially against Baylor is important. Stewart will get the start in my opinion. Sometimes TALENT needs to come before SENIORITY.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Honestly, I believe that the starting lineup should be Hartley, KML, Faris, Stewart and Dolson.

I agree completely. Love CD. But she can be a spark off the bench...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

Wasn't Morgan Valley among the walking wounded then?

Again, Doty will start. She is not a "spark off the bench" type of player. She is a settle 'em down type of player. She will give up minutes (probably a good thing) but she will start every game this season.

Reaction Score
. . .
I have a different memory of Sauer losing her starting job. I thought there was a lot of talk about effort (or lack of) at the time. I'm not saying I'm right, just saying that's how I remember it.

My recollection of Paige is of a really nice kid, but a big who wasn't all that
crazy about physical contact. Often when there were piles of kids on the floor
going for a loose ball, Paige was never part of any of those piles. Like vtcw, I
make no claim as to the accuracy of my recollection.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
My recollection of Paige is of a really nice kid, but a big who wasn't all that
crazy about physical contact. Often when there were piles of kids on the floor
going for a loose ball, Paige was never part of any of those piles. Like vtcw, I
make no claim as to the accuracy of my recollection.
That's my very clear recollection of Paige as well.. She preferred popping threes from outside instead of mixing it up in the paint.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Boy alot of guessing on starters. The probem is at the guard spots when Bria and Caroline are healthly. Right now neither is 100% so that means more minutes for MJ and BB. Dolsen Stewart and KML have to start.

KML is the best shooter in WCBB and can put up alot of points in a very short time. She opens up the middle and makes defenses come out and guard her, plus shes playing good D and rebounding well

Stewart changes the entire game on both sides of the ball. Shes a nitemare to handle on offense and on defense up top, down low and in the press is a monster. Stewart is the best player in WCBB and a game changer she has to play alot.

Stef down low now has the pressure off with Bre in the lineup, and shes filling up the stat sheets. At 6'5 and Bre at 6'4 its a no brainer and creates all kinds of problems for opponets on both sides of the ball.

So who starts at the guards? Thats easy who's healthly. Caroline looked great on Sunday but I think they have to bring her along slowly as not to reinjure herself and we need to have her available and healthly at the end of the season. Bria is suppose to be back in about 2 weeks, so we wait and see. When she does come back same senario as Caroline. Dont push her to hard we need her healthly for the end of the season. So that leaves MJ Kelly and BB.

For the TAM game Caroline starts if healthly with Kelly. If not its MJ and Kelly. All the guards will see plenty of time because Caroline and Bria will have limited minutes unless its a close game and that I dont see happening. This team has raised the bar again.

Understand something. With outside shooting guards teams cant layoff guarding all 5 UConn players one on one. Next this team is capable of scoring over 100 pts a game againest any team. Leaving your best scorers and shooters on the bench imo is not smart. You saw what happened againest C0fC on Sunday. We put up alot of points in a hurry. We did that because we executed and because KML and Caroline made defenses come out and guard us. When that happened it opened things up. When Bria gets back its going to be even more crazy. Can you imagine, when Bria gets back. Another shooter and scorer. Dont forget we're averaging over 100 pts a game with Bria our AA guard on the bench, and Caroline not at 100%. Its only going to get better. Now thats hard to imagine....that we are going to get better.

C

crownfox2

Just this about BS...remember that when Rebecca first saw her play she stated that BS was good enough to play in the WNBA right now......of course she starts

Reaction Score
Even though Breanna comes from here and should become a great player, what's wrong with starting a 5th year senior? The only time Syracuse won a mens championship, our best point guard came off the bench. Our senior shooting guard started with Gerry, Billy Edelin would usually come in at the 5 minute break and play most of the minutes. Good or great players are only about winning, Breanna has been on USA teams and not started, but been the best player she likes to win. Plus if UCONN starts out slow just think what bringing her off the bench, and going into a fullcourt press will do.

Reaction Score
Seems to me (IMHO) we spend a lot of time speculating on who should start. On this years team it's just not that important. Suppose Geno puts out Stef, Kelly, BH, KML and BS. Then subs in CD, BB and MT? We have the luxury of not losing anything with any line up, with the exception of HB all our players can score, all play exceptional defense. We will wear down opponents, sub not just fresh bodies, but amazing athletes. Imagine playing a fast paced up and down game chasing BH around screens, then having to deal with MJ? I'd get tired just watching. I think we'll find looking at the box scores all will play enough minutes, starting or not.

Reaction Score
Seems to me (IMHO) we spend a lot of time speculating on who should start. On this years team it's just not that important. Suppose Geno puts out Stef, Kelly, BH, KML and BS. Then subs in CD, BB and MT? We have the luxury of not losing anything with any line up, with the exception of HB all our players can score, all play exceptional defense. We will wear down opponents, sub not just fresh bodies, but amazing athletes. Imagine playing a fast paced up and down game chasing BH around screens, then having to deal with MJ? I'd get tired just watching. I think we'll find looking at the box scores all will play enough minutes, starting or not.
Well put. With ten or so players capable of playing well in almost any game, those players will average 20 minutes or so. Starting or not starting is unimportant in that scheme of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom