I'm gonna miss Evina | The Boneyard

I'm gonna miss Evina

Reaction Score
She was a superb transfer. She did anything and everything that was asked of her to bring this team together. She was beat up emotionally by her previous team, (and the Vol fans continue to do so), endured injury, and we were blessed to get her.
Watching her play this game like a prize fighter just about broke me. Damn, I'm gonna miss her, her love of the game, and her spark of pure joy for the experience. Without her, we wouldn't have made it to the final.
She is worthy of our wall of honor, but strict guidelines will leave her a legacy player without a spot on that wall along with others of her caliber, guts and selfishness. She was "mom", holding a team together when the covid world was tearing everything apart, she had enough heart for all of them, and her epic shots to prove her worth will never be forgotten.
TN let a great one get away and we were the beneficiary of that mistake.
As one volfan said, "Our best player now plays for UConn."
I secretly wish she would stick around, collect some nil$$ and earn a masters in broadcasting.
What a baller, person and inspiration she is..
#22 forever a Husky.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I was intrigued when the rumors began about her transferring to UConn. Was impressed with her "all in" attitude and assuming the role of "team mom". UConn is where she was meant to be, even if it took a deTour to get here. It will be difficult to replace her in this role. She did everything she could over the last 3 games, and it was apparent that she emptied her tank, as a number of times, the camera caught her exhaustion. The basketball gods throwing an ankle sprain at her last night was cruel. I think we'll be seeing more of her in the future, whether as a pro player, announcer, or even a coach. Personally, I would love to see her back on the UConn bench after her playing career is over.

Article (chopping onions warning)

"Westbrook stopped, leaned against a wall and slid to the floor, sobbing, inconsolable. She remained there until helped to her feet by UConn associate head coach Chris Dailey and teammate Dorka Juhasz, who had one arm in a sling and the other around Westbrook as they turned the corner and disappeared."

"And then there was Westbrook, broken, overwhelmed, going to the floor and needing help up to finish a journey, one UConn will look back on with a great sense of accomplishment."

Reaction Score
I was intrigued when the rumors began about her transferring to UConn. Was impressed with her "all in" attitude and assuming the role of "team mom". UConn is where she was meant to be, even if it took a deTour to get here. It will be difficult to replace her in this role. She did everything she could over the last 3 games, and it was apparent that she emptied her tank, as a number of times, the camera caught her exhaustion. The basketball gods throwing an ankle sprain at her last night was cruel. I think we'll be seeing more of her in the future, whether as a pro player, announcer, or even a coach. Personally, I would love to see her back on the UConn bench after her playing career is over.

Article (chopping onions warning)

"Westbrook stopped, leaned against a wall and slid to the floor, sobbing, inconsolable. She remained there until helped to her feet by UConn associate head coach Chris Dailey and teammate Dorka Juhasz, who had one arm in a sling and the other around Westbrook as they turned the corner and disappeared."

"And then there was Westbrook, broken, overwhelmed, going to the floor and needing help up to finish a journey, one UConn will look back on with a great sense of accomplishment."
Just the mental image of her crumbling to the floor has me in tears. Damn you.

Reaction Score
Just the mental image of her crumbling to the floor has me in tears. Damn you.

I totally agree, that hurts, that image stings. Superb person that Ms Westbrook, she will be fine down the road.....

Reaction Score
I don't think she can stick around as she's used up her eligibility.
she has one more year of eligibility.
uconn scholarship chart.JPG

Reaction Score
Evina is one of my all-time favorite huskies. She "adopted" the team and hence it's fans and taught us all some lessons in class, dignity and effort. She led by example and demonstrated a maturity well beyond her years. I will miss her and her calm presence but I know she will succeed in her future endeavors because she is who she is. Godspeed Mom, the Husky nation has your back.

Reaction Score
Me too. My favorite player. I think she will surprise many in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
I dont know what transpires behind the scenes but since she has arrived she has demonstrated being the ultimate team player. I have grown to respect her tremendously and wish her the best.

Reaction Score
Why do you think she would have an extra year of eligibility? Didn't she already play her max 4 years?

The COVID rules change that, since the 2020 - 2021 season does not count towards a players eligibility. For example, Ali Patberg started college in 2015 and played for Indiana this year, below is her career from the Indiana website:
  • 2015 - 2016: Medical Redshirt
  • 2016 - 2017: "Freshman" Season at Notre Dame
  • 2017 - 2018: Transfered to Indiana and sat out
  • 2018 - 2019: "Sophomore" Season at Indiana
  • 2019 - 2020: "Junior" Season at Indiana
  • 2020 - 2021: "Senior" Season at Indiana
  • 2021 - 2022: "Covid" season at Indiana

Technically, all four "Seniors" on the UConn team have an extra year of eligibility if they want it. Dorka is using her 5th year for 2022 - 2023, but all indications are that Olivia, Christyn, and Evina will not be using that extra COVID year.

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Looks like the abuse from LV fans ramped up after the loss. I don't know what-all went on there but she DOES NOT deserve that. I sent her a supportive message via twitter, please consider doing the same to counter the meanness and jealousy that gets directed toward her. Twitter ID:
@evinawestbrook

Reaction Score
Looks like the abuse from LV fans ramped up after the loss. I don't know what-all went on there but she DOES NOT deserve that. I sent her a supportive message via twitter, please consider doing the same to counter the meanness and jealousy that gets directed toward her. Twitter ID:
@evinawestbrook
Props to you, my friend, for sending Evina some supportive messages. I agree, she does not deserve that type of treatment from fans. No player deserves any type of hate or disrespectful messages, especially when those players are 18-22 year old young adults.

Evina is one heck of a talented young lady and I am happy that she found a home here with our beloved UConn Huskies!! Perfect match. Much love and respect, Evina.

Reaction Score
Concur that we will miss her. It’s easy to see how she earned the nickname Mom/Momma E. She has a fun loving way to guide those around her. My favorite memory from Minneapolis was during the “open practice”; the team was shooting at one end of the court, while Genos grandkids were shooting at the other end. When it was time to expand the drills to fullcourt, Geno asked the little guys to clear the area. They kept shooting- feeling good about their moment in sun. Momma E came up behind the most resistant shooter, lept as he shot, and spiked the ball into the stands(with a big smile). They cleared the area for the team drill. Lesson learned- always listen to Coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom