I'm gonna miss Evina | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm gonna miss Evina

Reaction Score
The COVID rules change that, since the 2020 - 2021 season does not count towards a players eligibility. For example, Ali Patberg started college in 2015 and played for Indiana this year, below is her career from the Indiana website:
  • 2015 - 2016: Medical Redshirt
  • 2016 - 2017: "Freshman" Season at Notre Dame
  • 2017 - 2018: Transfered to Indiana and sat out
  • 2018 - 2019: "Sophomore" Season at Indiana
  • 2019 - 2020: "Junior" Season at Indiana
  • 2020 - 2021: "Senior" Season at Indiana
  • 2021 - 2022: "Covid" season at Indiana

Technically, all four "Seniors" on the UConn team have an extra year of eligibility if they want it. Dorka is using her 5th year for 2022 - 2023, but all indications are that Olivia, Christyn, and Evina will not be using that extra COVID year.
Interesting. I just googled the rule to be sure, but it appears that they did also add a 6th year to complete your 4 seasons (excluding 2020).

Reaction Score
Why do you think she would have an extra year of eligibility? Didn't she already play her max 4 years?
no, she hasn't.

Attachments

• uconn scholarship chart.JPG
    uconn scholarship chart.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 167
Reaction Score
I wish her all the success imaginable, but cant help thinking about Caroline Doty. I hope her body allows her to follow her dreams.
Caroline is doing quite well now. Hope E can get a few good yrs in the W then be a coach or broadcast somewhere. She was a great addition to the team and the family. Always a Husky!

Reaction Score
Looks like the abuse from LV fans ramped up after the loss. I don't know what-all went on there but she DOES NOT deserve that. I sent her a supportive message via twitter, please consider doing the same to counter the meanness and jealousy that gets directed toward her. Twitter ID:
@evinawestbrook
There will always be sour grapes by the LV fans over EW and you are correct, she doesn't deserve it. However, if a UConn player 1. called out the coaching staff, even if it was in the heat of the moment 2. posted her transfer destination to UT or ND on instagram with the hashtag #sorrynotsorry 3. failed to get the championship she probably hoped for when transferring, do you think no UConn fans wouldn't feel some schadenfreude? It's a rhetorical question, by no means a defense of anyone who has said something negative about EW, and one thing about college sports that isn't becoming to anyone is when adults act like children and call out young people for their decisions. It happens all the time in SEC football and it's one reason why I hate to discuss the sport with anyone on a message board or even in person sometimes.

I liked Westbrook at UT and saw she had talent. She made the decision to transfer and it was likely the right one for all parties involved. I would say she likely matured during her time between UT and UConn, and showed the type of person she really is. Injuries are what likely kept her from her full potential but she had a good career.

No player needs to be attacked repeatedly for a decision that was made years ago that really didn't affect the fan base directly. It shows poor class and immaturity. I hope MSU people will keep Rickea's name out of their mouths as she takes the floor for UT.

Reaction Score
With fiery players like Paige and Muhl, Westbrook was a needed calming presence at times. Like others, I think she can be successful at the next level. In fact, I think she can be the rare player that takes another step with her game that she never would have in college. She'll be surrounded by better finishers and women who know how to really space the floor (Not that UConn is bad at those things). I could picture her being a Pippen type player on a WNBA team who knows her role and stuffs the stat sheet in multiple categories.

Not that South Carolina wasn't just the better team, but it seemed ironic that for the title game Dorka was out, and Westbrook was quickly hobbled and Azzi severely under the weather. SC probably still comes out on top, but I would like to have seen both these eams at ful strength.

Reaction Score
Are you sure? Does the year she sat out count as a year of eligibility?
I've answered this a few times already, but here ya go..
Are you sure? Does the year she sat out count as a year of eligibility?
I'll post the scholarship chart again. Pay attention to the symbols near the seniors names and the corresponding info at the bottom of the chart.

Attachments

• uconn scholarship chart.JPG
    uconn scholarship chart.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 163
Reaction Score
I will miss her as well, she always impressed me with steadfast courage to help this team to rise to excellence in good times and bad. However, it is time for "old" folks to move on and it is time for us to see new blood come in and excell with their skills and watch the fun of their play.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There was a photograph of her cradling Dorka's head
that is all you need to know about what wonderful human being Evina is.

If anyone has, would you be kind enough to post it in this thread.
Thanks

Reaction Score

Thanks
evina dorka.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Thanks
Evina is always there, always a role model, always a friend.

evina dorka2.JPG
evina paige.JPG

Reaction Score
just a great person and a great teammate. Fortunate she became a Husky and we will all miss her very much. Love her.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We all have some wonderful memories of Evina. One very recent one has her telling Paige
'love you...little one". Man...brings a tear to your eye.

Just wondering: I know she is interested in broadcasting but at some point there will be a staff
opening in Storrs...I would hope she would consider it.

Reaction Score
I wish Evina the very best as she moves on from her time at UCONN. It's somewhat ironic that she has been at Storrs three years and only played two but was unquestionably a Husky through and through! She had a role on this team that I don't recall any other former player paralleled. From the moment our present Sophomore class stepped onto campus she truly, not only figuratively, was the team mom. She embraced and lived into that role gracefully, selflessly and emotionally.

I honestly don't know how you transition, as a person, from being everything she was for this team to being a younger member of a WNBA squad. Evina's very identity has changed over these past couple of years from being a gifted basketball player with unknown potential limits to being an 'old soul' whose identity goes way beyond her basketball skills to being a compassionate complete human being.

She left everything she had, physically and emotionally, on the court for this team (the championship game was a perfect microcosm of that). Her departure, I can only imagine, will be a hard transition for the entire team, especially 'her kids' (Paige, Nika and Aaliyah), but the hardest probably for Evina herself. The love these young woman share is none other than that of family and the heartbreak of this transition, I have no doubt, is deeply felt by all.

Reaction Score
Evina has easily become my all time favorite Husky. She's a great human being, role model and the best team mate you can possibly hope for. I will follow her career and watch her flourish in anything she does.

Reaction Score
On Saturday (April 9, 2022) afternoon, ESPN aired a 30 minute preview of the WNBA draft. Anchors were LaChina Robinson and Rebecca Lobo. The majority of the show focused on the top 3 projected draft picks. The final 4-5 minutes discussed several other players who are expected to be first round draft picks. Just before the show ended and you thought no UConn players were going to mentioned, Rebecca added a short segment on Evina, how versatile she is on the court and how she would be a good addition to any team. I was happy to see Rebecca giving Evina a little “press” after she was snubbed by the Big East coaches (no award) and that USA TODAY article that only discussed Liv and Christyn. I expect the WNBA Coaches have better eyesight and scouting reports and Evina will be a higher than expected draft selection. Good Luck Evina! And thank you Rebecca.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I went back and searched the threads for the time period of her statement re TN WBB, then read all the transfer speculation, and it was amazing seeing all the speculation of where she would go, how she would impact UConn from both a player and personal perspective, etc. Then reflected on her impact for the last 3 seasons, even sitting out her first year, which, in retrospect, was a blessing, as if she hadn't, maybe the surgery would have been later, and impacted the last two seasons? She was all in from day 1. Her family was all in, as shown by her announcement on instagram with everyone wearing UConn gear.

Yes, we needed her maturity, impact on the court, but honestly, I think she needed UConn more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom