I'm finding following recruiting is like being addicted to crack. | The Boneyard

I'm finding following recruiting is like being addicted to crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Think about it. How many recruits have you been following the past couple years? How many of them actually committed to UConn? How many of them that committed to UConn ended up decommitting?

We can't seem to get enough of this. I assume that many experienced quite a high from the thrill of chasing after these kids. And I bet many experience a huge withdrawal when we either miss out on a recruit, or when a verbally committed recruit changes his mind, such as Zack Brown.

Beaten up over the years following this Fool's Gold, I no longer get all worked up over all this.

So how are many of you doing with this recruiting rollercoaster ride?

What were some of the most gut-wrenching recruiting battle defeats that you live to tell the tale?

I think I'm breaking a vow that I made a number of years ago, but Ike Diogu is one that I'll never forget.

Reaction Score
I love it. I like the speculation and the interest and even the overblown mix tapes are fun. I've refreshed the page 50 times today while at work (slow day thankfully) hoping for some new tidbit to be intrigued by. I try not to take any of it too seriously and get too high or low on anybody. I was standing at the July 4th parade in my town when I checked my phone to find out that Alterique Gilbert had committed. What could be better than that?

Reaction Score
Ike Diogu???...wow.....weren't there cryptic online posts about his potential decision that we traced to his high school library's IP address?

I remember when we couldn't believe we lost a recruit to ASU. ASU??? We had that shiny national championship trophy and all...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Think about it. How many recruits have you been following the past couple years? How many of them actually committed to UConn? How many of them that committed to UConn ended up decommitting?

We can't seem to get enough of this. I assume that many experienced quite a high from the thrill of chasing after these kids. And I bet many experience a huge withdrawal when we either miss out on a recruit, or when a verbally committed recruit changes his mind, such as Zack Brown.

Beaten up over the years following this Fool's Gold, I no longer get all worked up over all this.

What were some of the most gut-wrenching recruiting battle defeats that you live to tell the tale?

I think I'm breaking a vow that I made a number of years ago, but Ike Diogu is one that I'll never forget.

You've been addicted to crack?

Reaction Score
UConn just needs one stud top 20 guy who can score at the off guard/small forward position every couple of years, and the rest of recruiting really falls into place. VJ King would have been an excellent Daniel Hamilton replacement, but as long as UConn can pull one of these types every 2 or 3 years, it will compete at the highest levels. Otherwise, I would not sweat recruiting at all.

With UConn's history of Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Caron Butler, Ben Gordon, Rudy Gay, Stanley Robinson, it should have the history and emphasis to continue to do that.

I'm not worried about recruiting at PG or other positions.

Reaction Score

The Sampson kid put me in the funny farm... long with Isaiah Fox. Just say no !!!!

Reaction Score
I follow it somewhat closely but I don't get hyped up over it. Zach Brown for example, meh - no point in getting emotionally invested in a situation like that. You never know who will decommit, who will be a bust and who will outperform their HS rating. After decades of fandom you realize that there's no point in getting hyped up over a prospect until he actually puts on a UConn uniform.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I can't follow recruiting. It's too time consuming, and it seems like you only get one out of ten on average, so essentially you're pissed off 90 percent of the time, and who needs that? I'm pissed off by other things enough already, I don't need to add to it. It's too much of a roller coaster ride for me.

It's sort of like a female being able to celebrate the birth of a child, without having to spend the nine months of discomfort, distress, and the agony of giving birth. You skip all that and go right to the reward. I like that.

Reaction Score

Brandon Bass.

Reaction Score
The Sampson kid put me in the funny farm... long with Isaiah Fox. Just say no !!!!
CDog????....how ya been old friend???

Sampson and Fox???.......hmmmmm....but didn't losing them lead to the signing of some kid named Okafor???

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
@nomar knows his opiates, a little too well maybe? ;)

He's pretty good. If he really knew opiates he would have said mainlining methadone gets you zooted ( albeit no real initial rush)as opposed to taking oral maintenance doses.

..... The more you know.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He's pretty good. If he really knew opiates he would have said mainlining methadone gets you zooted ( albeit no real initial rush)as opposed to taking oral maintenance doses.

..... The more you know.

Thank you, August, for making it clear I'm not the resident opiates expert.

I just watch a lot of TV, that's all.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
But seriously speaking, don't play around with opiates guys. US currently has a huge problem with them being way way overprescribed at alarming rates.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
But seriously speaking, don't play around with opiates guys. US currently has a huge problem with them being way way overprescribed at alarming rates.
My little brother died from it

Reaction Score
It's funny because I love recruiting, follow it really closely during the off-season, and check here a few times a day.

But during the season I don't come on here at all

Reaction Score
Heroin makes you feel good.

It's more like mainlining methodone. Keeps you hooked without any payoff.
Very few people with use methadone IV due to the fact that most methadone is given by clinics and cut with a dye, a very risky move... However, if you think methadone in general has no pay off you are seriously off base.

Reaction Score

Well I wasn't sad about Zack Brown. Actually glad we didn't get him with all the bad press coming out the last few months. We are UCONN and we can get who we want with KO at the helm. I really believe this.

Reaction Score
one more time. Where is the BY url for recruit accounting? Who verbaled, offered, etc. Or is there a better site somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom