I'm Anti Anti-Edsall | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I'm Anti Anti-Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry but by any reasonable measure that’s not meaningful progress.

How many Edsall recruits made one of the three All AAC teams?

Enough. You can have the last word on this so feel free to use it. The results have sucked, I have no interest in defending what we have (haven't) accomplished and I don't intend to try to use metrics in a debate because until we stop sucking I don't think statistical metrics are meaningful. How many underclassman from a team that hasn't won a conference game in two years are even going to be looked at seriously for that kind of honor.

Reaction Score
Sorry but by any reasonable measure that’s not meaningful progress.

How many Edsall recruits made one of the three All AAC teams?
I mean I'm not happy with Edsall either, but they legit had chances to win both the Houston and ECU games and you can even stretch it and say the Illinois game, and this just wasn't possible last year.

The flips side is you can argue all 3 games were lost when Edsall went into his usual Turtle up, conservative mode at various times during all 3 games. I could see why Maryland was his dream job, he loves to turtle up.

I really do expect another slight jump next year. You're starting to see them hold their own better on both lines. It starts there.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We got drubbed for the past 2 years, not competitive in our conference. I mean blown out, leave at half shellacked. Recruiting is horrid, and any self respecting admin would get rid of him. It is not my job to come up with coaches names or to fund the program. And would the doofuses who continue to say that shut up please.

Reaction Score
Is this the thread where posters rationalize keeping Edsell because we can't afford anyone better and complain about other posters being over-dramatic on a fan forum? LOL. First time on the internet?

Reaction Score
Enough. You can have the last word on this so feel free to use it. The results have sucked, I have no interest in defending what we have (haven't) accomplished and I don't intend to try to use metrics in a debate because until we stop sucking I don't think statistical metrics are meaningful. How many underclassman from a team that hasn't won a conference game in two years are even going to be looked at seriously for that kind of honor.

How can we get to the point where we stop sucking without doing a root cause analysis and use metrics? It sounds like you think that in this competitive environment that this will just happen on its own.

Are you dismissing the possibility that we can’t afford to keep him? If you can’t defend his performance then you have to assume that it won’t improve.

You really think that two more years of Edsall and then around 3 years of a new guy before we sniff mediocrity is NOT going to cause irreparable damage.

I don’t see why my position is irrational. If anything, it’s Alarmist but 100% justified.

Reaction Score
How can we get to the point where we stop sucking without doing a root cause analysis and use metrics? It sounds like you think that in this competitive environment that this will just happen on its own.

Are you dismissing the possibility that we can’t afford to keep him? If you can’t defend his performance then you have to assume that it won’t improve.

You really think that two more years of Edsall and then around 3 years of a new guy before we sniff mediocrity is NOT going to cause irreparable damage.

I don’t see why my position is irrational. If anything, it’s Alarmist but 100% justified.

I think the position that Edsall should be fired now is perfectly rational. I keep saying that, I don't know why you don't hear it. I'm only saying it's not the only rational position. (I knew I said I'd shut up but Jesus, at least fight me on stuff we disagree about.)

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Football is not being saved by this move. The AD as a whole may be more healthy, but we will probably not have a team in 5 years’ time.
]

That's an opinion, and nothing more. Football will be here in five years. In what form, we don't know as of yet.

Reaction Score
There are basically two positions in this argument.

1. Edsall, despite being an apparently mediocre coach, is the guy we can afford and who wants to be here and is literally the only human on the Earth who has ever produced any success at UConn so I guess he's the guy even though it's been a dumpster fire far beyond anything we could've imagined.
2. We have to fire Edsall and hire yet another new coach who will want to bring in his own recruits and is going to have serious problems recruiting in a basketball school with no conference. After all, every time we think it can't get worse, they prove us wrong.

It is the arrogance of the Internet Message Board Community that anybody can pick one of these options and pretend it's actually good with a straight face.

When your options are Bad and Worse, there's really no need to treat someone who disagrees with you as an idiot. They just picked the other (also bad) options. Calm down.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The AAC nuked the athletic program. The destruction of football and men's basketball was predicted by some posters (well, at least by me) back when UConn stuck with Cincinnati and South Florida and then let the former Big East reconstitute itself as a southern mid-major conference with a northern outlier, UConn. Failure was guaranteed when that happened. The people to blame for the current condition of football and men's basketball is the Administration from 2010 to 2012 and anyone who supported the asinine decision to stick with the AAC rather than go independent back then. That group includes virtually all of the posters on this board.

I don't like Edsall. He is from a different century schematically, and his in-game playcalling is poor on his best days. My biggest issue with Edsall is his inability to manage the opportunity presented by the Transfer Portal. UConn should be a huge net winner in the Transfer Portal, able to offer former 4 and 3 * players at mid and high level P5 schools immediate playing time, and yet somehow we are getting our butt kicked by it every single offseason.

I didn't like him that much the first time around either, and I thought several of the later teams of Edsall 1.0, in particular the 2009 team, underachieved. That said, he has a great track record as a talent evaluator and talent developer.

But given the conference situation for the last 10 years, plus potentially having the worst coach possibly in FBS history in Bob Diaco as his predecessor, I am willing to give him a pass for one more year.

Reaction Score
The AAC nuked the athletic program. The destruction of football and men's basketball was predicted by some posters (well, at least by me) back when UConn stuck with Cincinnati and South Florida and then let the former Big East reconstitute itself as a southern mid-major conference with a northern outlier, UConn. Failure was guaranteed when that happened. The people to blame for the current condition of football and men's basketball is the Administration from 2010 to 2012 and anyone who supported the asinine decision to stick with the AAC rather than go independent back then. That group includes virtually all of the posters on this board.

I don't like Edsall. He is from a different century schematically, and his in-game playcalling is poor on his best days. My biggest issue with Edsall is his inability to manage the opportunity presented by the Transfer Portal. UConn should be a huge net winner in the Transfer Portal, able to offer former 4 and 3 * players at mid and high level P5 schools immediate playing time, and yet somehow we are getting our butt kicked by it every single offseason.

I didn't like him that much the first time around either, and I thought several of the later teams of Edsall 1.0, in particular the 2009 team, underachieved. That said, he has a great track record as a talent evaluator and talent developer.

But given the conference situation for the last 10 years, plus potentially having the worst coach possibly in FBS history in Bob Diaco as his predecessor, I am willing to give him a pass for one more year.
Cincinnati Temple and Navy are not located in the South, the last time I checked. If the trio got UMass, UConn, Army and Buffalo to join and maybe Ohio University -- would things have been better for UConn?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Cincinnati Temple and Navy are not located in the South, the last time I checked. If the trio got UMass, UConn, Army and Buffalo to join and maybe Ohio University -- would things have been better for UConn?

Are you defending the AAC?

Reaction Score
Are you defending the AAC?

The AAC is trash, but our controllable moves have been self inflicted damage. Yes AAC limits our ability to recover from mistakes.

We should have been near the top of the AAC for both Basketball and Football. The school in general has failed to deliver.

Even if they had not failed, Football Independence and the Big East is probably the right call.

If we had a winning football team and we left the AAC that move would have been perceived entirely in a different way.

Reaction Score
Lmao. Bookmark this thread for halfway through next season. This board is 0 for life when defending bad coaches. I remember the Diaco and Ollie ships sinking and the same stoodges holding on for dear life.
It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. Hiring Paqualoni was idiotic but almost every school makes a bad hire and moves on, getting tricked by the clown Diaco and waiting to pull the plug was close to unforgivable, hiring back the snake and not pulling the plug is just cruel and unusual punishment. Some people are just gluttons for punishment...I had half the bball board calling me an idiot for saying Ollie is a disaster and there was no rock bottom with him. If it was up to them Ollie would still be in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I'll say this here as well. If schools like Buffalo, Old Dominion and Coastal Carolina can play FBS football and UConn can't then the people running UConn really suck.

Want fans in the stand you can't be a total waste of time. There has to be hope for a win and at minimum you have show competency which hasn't been seen in a few years.

But if you go back to when hoops is winning national championships and we are going to Fiesta Bowls the donor count is like 3,000. Unlike many other schools, the UCONN Fan base says - "It's good enough to buy tickets and merch" and then wonders why money is an issue.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
But if you go back to when hoops is winning national championships and we are going to Fiesta Bowls the donor count is like 3,000. Unlike many other schools, the UCONN Fan base says - "It's good enough to buy tickets and merch" and then wonders why money is an issue.
Money is an issue because we suck. Filling the stadium six times a year is somewhere north of $6M a year. Figure our broadcast rights are worth another million and there is entire current deficit. That's before concessions, merchandising and the marketing value of not being a sheetshow.

Reaction Score
Head Coach Vineyard Vines. Used by someone here after he showed up on the sideline for a game wearing what in Greenwich is called Nantucket Red, and in the rest of the civilized world is called pink, pants.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think BL has a perfectly reasonable take here. There is no clear best alternative. He stays, he goes, whatever. Either of those are a crap-shoot in terms of which would yield better results. As coaches were being fired recently I put forth that it was possible (worth checking at least) that a clear upgrade who was let go might come here. AD needs to at least kick the tires on that. Can't decide on stay or go unless you understand your best alternatives.

That said, 19 kids in the transfer portal. Benedict's staff has to exit interview every one of them and get to the root of why they are going. If it is because they are tired or losing or don't play enough, ok fine. If it's Randy, then we may need to address whether he can be a head coach in 2020 and beyond. The AD must get that data to help decide.

Reaction Score
I think BL has a perfectly reasonable take here. There is no clear best alternative. He stays, he goes, whatever. Either of those are a crap-shoot in terms of which would yield better results. As coaches were being fired recently I put forth that it was possible (worth checking at least) that a clear upgrade who was let go might come here. AD needs to at least kick the tires on that. Can't decide on stay or go unless you understand your best alternatives.

That said, 19 kids in the transfer portal. Benedict's staff has to exit interview every one of them and get to the root of why they are going. If it is because they are tired or losing or don't play enough, ok fine. If it's Randy, then we may need to address whether he can be a head coach in 2020 and beyond. The AD must get that data to help decide.
Not that I know anything, but I'd be shocked if DB doesn't have an accurate handle on the mood of the departing players, as well as those staying. Therefore, in my mind, he got data, considered it, and decided to publically state Randy has at least two more years.

Reaction Score
Money is an issue because we suck. Filling the stadium six times a year is somewhere north of $6M a year. Figure our broadcast rights are worth another million and there is entire current deficit. That's before concessions, merchandising and the marketing value of not being a sheetshow.

Missing the point - nobody donated to the school when both programs were at their top. UCONN is in the situation that they are in financially in part because state support has dried up and the attitude of the fan base is "It's not my problem".

Hurley can go out and win a NC next year - and we won't add many donors to the rolls.

When we were selling 40,000 tickets per game - less than 10% of those that were going to football games gave any money to the athletic department. I'm not questioning any individual's decision to give or not give, but as a whole - this is a pretty poor ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom