I'm Anti Anti-Edsall | The Boneyard

I'm Anti Anti-Edsall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have decided that I am anti anti-Edsall. I have no energy or desire to defend his coaching over the last three years. What's the point. The results have sucked. But I find myself so annoyed by the irrational need to complain about everything of the anti-Edsalitas -- he's not ruthless enough, he's too ruthless, he shies away from publicity, he tweets when he gets a verbal instead of understanding we hate him and he should shut up at all times, too much deadweight transfers out, we aren't fair to the players he's inherited, we didn't call this play, we are a desirable job, doesn't matter no one comes to games anymore, whatever -- that I find myself feeling sympathetic for Edsall just for having to deal with the nonsense of those who oppose him. And that's without even talking about idiots who are still mad at him for a career choice he made a friggin decade ago.

So I will say this one more time and then try to refrain from weighing in on the various threads.

1. For three years we have sucked. Bigly.

2. I don't think he maximized our very limited potential over those three years.

3. For those two reasons, if he is fired, that's fine with me. I won't lose a single night's sleep over it.

4. That having been said, Nick Saban and Dabo Sweeney aren't taking the UConn job and even if one did the last two years we still would have had losing records. (I don't dismiss the possibility that a great coach coming in who wanted to try to get to 6-6 in 2017 without worrying about the future could have done so.)

5. This is an incredibly undesirable job at the moment. Does that mean we couldn't get someone to take it? Of course not. Any FCS or Div II coach not on the verge of a FBS job, or any MAC or Sunbelt coordinator, or a high school coach, or many others would take the job. But is that change for change sake or is there really going to be a rational argument that they are better prepared to rebuild this program than Edsall is with a 3 year head start? One may or may not agree that Edsall should be given a fourth year, and I'm fine if you don't, but it is perfectly rational for Benedict or anyone else who accepts how bad the situation Edsall inherited was to want to give him a full roster of his players before moving on. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I still hold out hope that in the end he still is a good evaluator of potential talent and that we will (finally) start to see that in 2020 and (unless he commits a felony) 2021. I am on record as stating that if we don't see results in 2020, let him go. Given AD David Benedict's recent comment, he is here at least through 2021 no matter what I think. Therefore, I agree with you Biz.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Was starting to feel the same. At minimum their venom is so constant that it makes the football board occasionally unreadable. @UConnDan97 should not have to post a thread to "adults" reminding them to behave.

Today I even liked the concept posted in the thread about the TV contract where Matt Brown stated "But I also suspect UConn simply wouldn’t be able to attract a good replacement if they cut the cord right now. Maybe in two years, after they’ve had a chance to recoup some money after the Big East move, and after they better understand what life as an independent will be like, this could be a more attractive gig. But for now, even if it isn’t the right fit, I think both sides are kind of stuck with each other. "

Kind of makes sense. Why make another low budget move now when in theory we could be in a better position in 2 years to possibly make a better hire. Or maybe not. I don't think Randy is the right long term coach, but maybe it's a good time to steady the ship in terms of continuity and send a better message to potential future coaches that they will get a fair chance to perform here.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In the Cesspool, much time in 2017 was spend discussing the "anti anti-Trump" movement that arose a few months after the inauguration. Where people who didn't necessarily like Trump couldn't stand the way he was being attacked and they found themselves emotionally siding with him over his opponents.

I have decided that I am anti anti-Edsall. I have no energy or desire to defend his coaching over the last three years. What's the point. The results have sucked. But I find myself so annoyed by the irrational need to complain about everything of the anti-Edsalitas -- he's not ruthless enough, he's too ruthless, he shies away from publicity, he tweets when he gets a verbal instead of understanding we hate him and he should shut up at all times, too much deadweight transfers out, we aren't fair to the players he's inherited, we didn't call this play, we are a desirable job, doesn't matter no one comes to games anymore, whatever -- that I find myself feeling sympathetic for Edsall just for having to deal with the nonsense of those who oppose him. And that's without even talking about idiots who are still mad at him for a career choice he made a friggin decade ago.

So I will say this one more time and then try to refrain from weighing in on the various threads.

1. For three years we have sucked. Bigly.

2. I don't think he maximized our very limited potential over those three years.

3. For those two reason, if he is fired, that's fine with me. I won't lose a single night's sleep over it.

4. That having been said, Nick Saban and Dabo Sweeney aren't taking the UConn job and even if one did the last two years we still would have had losing records. (I don't dismiss the possibility that a great coach coming in who wanted to try to get to 6-6 in 2017 without worrying about the future could have done so.)

5. This is an incredibly undesirable job at the moment. Does that mean we couldn't get someone to take it? Of course not. Any FCS or Div II coach not on the verge of a FBS job, or any MAC or Sunbelt coordinator, or a high school coach, or many others would take the job. But is that change for change sake or is there really going to be a rational argument that they are better prepared to rebuild this program than Edsall is with a 3 year head start? One may or may not agree that Edsall should be given a fourth year, and I'm fine if you don't, but it is perfectly rational for Benedict or anyone else who accepts how bad the situation Edsall inherited was to want to give him a full roster of his players before moving on. Period.
That is probably the second best rant in the history of The Boneyard. Before you take offense at that, keep in mind that the best rant in the history of The Boneyard was posted by Makers Muppet.

I am CL82 and I’m anti-anti Edsall too.

Reaction Score
Feel better?

Benedict has spoken. The argument for keeping Edsall is an easy one. The AD doesn't have the dollars to absorb the AAC exit fee, Big East Entrance fee, Diaco buyout all at once. Add to it entering Independence with no known TV contract or dollars, a tight budget for assistants. Simply put whether you love or hate Edsall the prudent thing to do is sit tight and see how things look in 2 years.

Does Edsalls in game coaching and 1996 approach to football where he plays to set up 50yd FG attempts suck? You bet your ass it does, but that is small potatoes in this period of transition.

Reaction Score
He should be fired immediately. Never should have been rehired. Lifetime coaching record is more loses than wins. Was given 4 1/2 years at his dream school and then given the boot. Why wait to do the same?
UConn student athletes should not have to put up with this 5 year experiment in futility.
Everything he does is self serving, has no eye discipline and should be fired immediately (did I say that already).
It's never too early to stop going in the wrong direction.
If the AD can't find/hire a competent replacement then fire the AD.

Reaction Score
I still hold out hope that in the end he still is a good evaluator of potential talent and that we will (finally) start to see that in 2020 and (unless he commits a felony) 2021. I am on record as stating that if we don't see results in 2020, let him go. Given AD David Benedict's recent comment, he is here at least through 2021 no matter what I think. Therefore, I agree with you Biz.

I agree with all this. There needs to be meaningful progress next year. I hope that means 6 wins, but I'm not willing to say a lower number wouldn't be sufficient. But he needs to show meaningful progress.

Reaction Score
That is probably the second best rant in the history of The Boneyard. Before you take offense at that, keep in mind that the best rant in the history of The Boneyard was posted by Makers Muppet.

I am CL82 and I’m anti-anti Edsall too.

I'm no Makers Muppet. That is the single best piece of message board writing that will ever exist. The fact that it led to an unexpected Big East and NCAA double remains one of God's greatest works.

But I love your last line!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is all being done on purpose. Letting Randy wind out the clock is AD Dave’s way of washing his hands of football now that the BE move has been made.

Some of the stuff on the micro level is indeed frustrating, but people would do well to realize the train has already left the station.

Reaction Score
Been feeling this way for a long time now. Edsall is going to be the coach, the AD has expressed support, nothings going to change so we have to embrace it and be positive. It's like we're in trailers again, but we're not. If Edsall ends up leaving again, I'll loose my mind

Reaction Score
This is all being done on purpose. Letting Randy wind out the clock is AD Dave’s way of washing his hands of football now that the BE move has been made.

Some of the stuff on the micro level is indeed frustrating, but people would do well to realize the train has already left the station.

I said this was a real possibility in the immediate aftermath of the decision to leave the American. Boneyarders have one way, and only one way, to make sure this doesn't happen. Which is open your wallets. Buy more tickets or make contributions just for the football program. Or, alternatively, sit back and see if we are playing FBS football in five years.

Reaction Score
Been feeling this way for a long time now. Edsall is going to be the coach, the AD has expressed support, nothings going to change so we have to embrace it and be positive. It's like we're in trailers again, but we're not. If Edsall ends up leaving again, I'll loose my mind

You want some good news? He's not leaving here for his dream job any time soon unless his dream job is bartending.

Reaction Score
The tenure of the last 3 UConn football coaches: 2 1/3 seasons (PP), 3 seasons (Diaco), and currently 3 seasons (Edsall). Diaco was such a disaster, especially when it came to recruiting, he had to go quickly.

Don't we all agree that the roster was a mess when Edsall took over? If there was all this talent on the roster, how come the transfers haven't moved on to P5 or high level G5 programs? When Diaco took over, he was handed a decent roster with players like Byron Jones, Obi Melanfonwu, Foly Fatukasi, Andrew Adams, Noel Thomas, Geremy Davis as well as QBs Casey Cochran and Tim Boyle, which is how UConn went 6-6 in 2015.

We have history that Edsall has been able to identify and develop talent over the years. So, I am confident that he can do it again and the talent on the roster, in my opinion, is improving. But, there have only been 2 full recruiting classes and his players are either sophomores, redshirt freshmen, or true freshmen.

I'm not a fan of Edsall's game strategy, but, at this moment in the program's history, I think recruiting and player development are more important. When Edsall retires/steps down/is fired, I am confident that the next coach will inherit a much better roster than Edsall did.

Reaction Score
I said this was a real possibility in the immediate aftermath of the decision to leave the American. Boneyarders have one way, and only one way, to make sure this doesn't happen. Which is open your wallets. Buy more tickets or make contributions just for the football program. Or, alternatively, sit back and see if we are playing FBS football in five years.

This will never happen. There will be more UCONN fans that trudge into the city for the BB game tonight than there are donors to athletic program in total (again - talking actual donations and not just supporting through ticket sales/merch/etc).

Reaction Score
This will never happen. There will be more UCONN fans that trudge into the city for the BB game tonight than there are donors to athletic program in total (again - talking actual donations and not just supporting through ticket sales/merch/etc).

I fully agree. Which is the reason why football isn't safe.

Reaction Score

When the move to the BE was announced, I was not happy about what was happening to football. As time has gone on, I have realized that the move to the BE was the only way to save football and the athletic department.

The AAC has a ton of potential as an athletic conference, and it is pretty good in football and not bad in basketball, but UConn just did not fit and it was hurting both football and men's basketball and athletic department revenues. And, it probably would have hurt women's basketball after Geno retires.

When the AAC media contract was announced, it was pretty clear that the AAC wasn't getting paid enough to justify UConn staying in the conference. I believe the move to the Big East and football independence will increase UConn's revenues much more than what they would get paid in the AAC.

Finally, I am much more excited by the independent football schedule than the AAC schedule. If we start winning games, the fans will come back.

Reaction Score
But, there have only been 2 full recruiting classes and his players are either sophomores, redshirt freshmen, or true freshmen.

Are the lower classman showing better potential than the upperclassmen?

Reaction Score
I’m in NYC and there are no anti-Edsall folks to be found. Just positive feelings about the Huskies. And it’s been a while. So let’s embrace the resurgent Men’s BBall program and the surprisingly strong Women in what was to be a down year. And let’s entertain the possibility of Edsall actually turning the football program around. It’s all about hope and change tonight. Go Huskies!
RIP CAhusky.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
When the move to the BE was announced, I was not happy about what was happening to football. As time has gone on, I have realized that the move to the BE was the only way to save football and the athletic department.

The AAC has a ton of potential as an athletic conference, and it is pretty good in football and not bad in basketball, but UConn just did not fit and it was hurting both football and men's basketball and athletic department revenues. And, it probably would have hurt women's basketball after Geno retires.

When the AAC media contract was announced, it was pretty clear that the AAC wasn't getting paid enough to justify UConn staying in the conference. I believe the move to the Big East and football independence will increase UConn's revenues much more than what they would get paid in the AAC.

Finally, I am much more excited by the independent football schedule than the AAC schedule. If we start winning games, the fans will come back.

Football is not being saved by this move. The AD as a whole may be more healthy, but we will probably not have a team in 5 years’ time.

Reaction Score
The tenure of the last 3 UConn football coaches: 2 1/3 seasons (PP), 3 seasons (Diaco), and currently 3 seasons (Edsall). Diaco was such a disaster, especially when it came to recruiting, he had to go quickly.

Don't we all agree that the roster was a mess when Edsall took over? If there was all this talent on the roster, how come the transfers haven't moved on to P5 or high level G5 programs? When Diaco took over, he was handed a decent roster with players like Byron Jones, Obi Melanfonwu, Foly Fatukasi, Andrew Adams, Noel Thomas, Geremy Davis as well as QBs Casey Cochran and Tim Boyle, which is how UConn went 6-6 in 2015.

We have history that Edsall has been able to identify and develop talent over the years. So, I am confident that he can do it again and the talent on the roster, in my opinion, is improving. But, there have only been 2 full recruiting classes and his players are either sophomores, redshirt freshmen, or true freshmen.

I'm not a fan of Edsall's game strategy, but, at this moment in the program's history, I think recruiting and player development are more important. When Edsall retires/steps down/is fired, I am confident that the next coach will inherit a much better roster than Edsall did.
Forgot Jamar Summers a GDL recruit who had an outstanding year.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Football is not being saved by this move.
I thought that as well initially, but have seen/read enough that I'm able to find potential silver linings. Outside of our record, things are looking up. There are some young players that show potential. The schedule is most certainly looking better. Establish local rivalries and throw in some attractive H/H and P5 buy games and I think the program has a better chance of survival than they did in the AAC. I'm waiting on the TV contract to see where we're at financially. But these things give me hope. RE does not, but like a couple others have stated, maybe he can still evaluate of talent. It must start showing next season.
For Christmas I asked for a new OC. Hope I've been good.

Reaction Score
Football is not being saved by this move. The AD as a whole may be more healthy, but we will probably not have a team in 5 years’ time.
I bet you $1 that UConn does have a football team, and, I'll go even bolder and raise it another $1 that it is a respectable and competitive (5-8 wins/year) FBS program.
I have put a reminder in my calendar for 5 years.

Reaction Score
Support for football (and basketball) programs develop over time with some strong football seasons and support ebbs and flows. Look at the capacity of some football stadiums in the 70s as a proxy for fan support: BC 26k, Syracuse 26k, Maryland 34.7k, VT 35k, WVU 38k, Florida St. 40.5k, NC St. 41k, Clemson 43.5k, Penn St 60k, Florida 62.8k. UConn's stadium was 15k.

UConn men's basketball has been relevant for about 40 years, women's basketball for 30 years, and football for 15 years. It takes decades to build up a fan base and a donor base. If you were at UConn when football became relevant, you are in your 30s today. Most people are not giving big to a university until they pass age 50. And, you are more likely to donate when the athletic programs are doing well.

I have degrees from 2 universities, one being UConn. In all honestly, UConn is in its infancy when it comes to fundraising, but they are getting better. That is the upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom