i'm all ears NelsonMuntz | Page 2 | The Boneyard

i'm all ears NelsonMuntz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dan, you're losing too much sleep over hypotheticals, and you want UCONN to commit to things like stadium expansion/build an on campus stadium on a whim. The money for things like that have to be in place. Just enjoy the games the best you can. You'll feel better.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan, you're losing too much sleep over hypotheticals, and you want UCONN to commit to things like stadium expansion/build an on campus stadium on a whim. The money for things like that have to be in place. Just enjoy the games the best you can. You'll feel better.

I know. It's just not that easy for me because I'm always drunk.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
You guys don't understand. If the power 5 either break away or get a new level in the NCAA so that they can pay a stipend then they are on another level. All other schools can not be on that level. So then the BE can drop fcs football for the schools that play it and join the power 5 in bball and other sports and pay the stipend. The BE schools clearly would want that. On the other end the power 5 will want that because that league would be all of the best f the rest and really completely close out the profit from non profit schools. Now the power 5 with 70ish schools plus a 16-20 team BE is somewhere around 90 schools. They can have a 64 team tney with the bottom30 not making it and that's the best revenue ever. They control the tv for it and only big boys play in it.

The big east has set themselves up to join this. It's clear. What they have set up is that they can get to 12 with Dayton, Xavier, creighton, Stl, butler and then they can build from there. One could argue that they can add Zaga, STM, and some others for a best bball league cross country and be a major player.

The stipend and focus on bball will keep this group above water and they together will build a rival brand to the fball schools while laying at the same level. Basically the Texas techs of the world will never pass the gowns and butlers on the court. Then over time(years) these schools playing at this level will all have big fanbases if they don't already and they will become very known brand wise with the elite fball schools as just being part of the best level in the NCAA or the breakaway league.

If uconn were to drop football and join the Be, that contract only gets better. Same with Cincy or Memphis. The BE has a identity we all know. But a year ago before poop hit the fan if we decided this was the path I have no doubts we could have worked it out and gone with them. Same with Cincy. The private schools are not dumb when money is on the table. It's to late now tho for everyone and were probably the only case that they even take a look and think about if we were to commit to that lifestyle.

I'm not saying I want to do this. But it has to be considered depending on what the future holds in our best view from inside our cr war room( which I think we don't even have sad enough...)

So wait, in a world where everyone says that basketball doesn't matter that much, for schools that don't have fbs football basketball will suddenly matter? Where in the fruck is the logic in that? You're saying that UConn's basketball becomes more attractive without FBS football? What in God's name makes you believe that small private schools are going to want to pay stipends and suddenly buddy up to the FBS schools who don't want to share a dime with them? !

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
So wait, in a world where everyone says that basketball doesn't matter that much, for schools that don't have fbs football basketball will suddenly matter? Where in the fruck is the logic in that? You're saying that UConn's basketball becomes more attractive without FBS football? What in God's name makes you believe that small private schools are going to want to pay stipends and suddenly buddy up to the FBS schools who don't want to share a dime with them? !

What I'm saying is there is a possible scenario where the big east schools break away with the power 5 and at the same time uconn gets passed over and left in the AAC in a lower division in the NCAA in which we will never recover. S the end result is every fball school in the old big east gets a power 5 slots besides us and temple and maybe Cincy and to boot the bball schools make it to the promise land also. That's simply the argument on Nelson's side and as one sided as it is it needs to be thought about because its possible.

Those big east small private shave fanbases and brand power. If you take hat group and tell them you can join the power 5 if you expand to 20 and kill off bball under you then u know they will do it ASAP. The money is there for this scenario to play out. I hope it doesn't but it certainly exists considering every move so far to happen.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
What I'm saying is there is a possible scenario where the big east schools break away with the power 5 and at the same time uconn gets passed over and left in the AAC in a lower division in the NCAA in which we will never recover. S the end result is every fball school in the old big east gets a power 5 slots besides us and temple and maybe Cincy and to boot the bball schools make it to the promise land also. That's simply the argument on Nelson's side and as one sided as it is it needs to be thought about because its possible.

Those big east small private shave fanbases and brand power. If you take hat group and tell them you can join the power 5 if you expand to 20 and kill off bball under you then u know they will do it ASAP. The money is there for this scenario to play out. I hope it doesn't but it certainly exists considering every move so far to happen.

Jebus that makes my head hurt.

Reaction Score
What I'm saying is there is a possible scenario where the big east schools break away with the power 5 and at the same time uconn gets passed over and left in the AAC in a lower division in the NCAA

There is a better chance that we go 13 - 0.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Of course there is a better chance that we go 13-0, but that's mostly due to the fact that we are going to go 13-0... :cool:

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
Dan, if that scenario comes to pass, we'll be able to join the new BE for bball and other sports and play football only in the AAC. There's no need to drop football. If the AAC accepts Navy as football only, they'll accept us.

For now, we're better off collecting the exit fees etc in the AAC and positioning ourselves to jump as things shake out. We should be exploring the possibility of football independence or of separating conference affiliations in football and other sports.

There's no guarantee the new BE is going to prove a better basketball league than the AAC. Cincy, Temple, Memphis, Houston have historically been on par with most of the new BE teams; UConn superior; and as the ACC shows, you only really need a steady dose of a few good teams that repeatedly make noise in March to make the whole conference appear good.

I do think we have to get out of ESPN's clutches and build some sort of relationship with Fox and the regional cable channels. UConn needs to take control of its own TV rights and marketing as much as possible. Leaving them in Aresco's hands has not served the school well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We would have been better off going independent for football and joining the Big East for hoops than joining the AAC for all sports. This was a mistake in every way possible.

Reaction Score
We would have been better off going independent for football and joining the Big East for hoops than joining the AAC for all sports. This was a mistake in every way possible.

You might be right. But what's done is done.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
See now Dan is reading this as "So there's a decent chance" because he always has us at 13 - 0.

Reaction Score
I don't think the private schools want to compete with public schools.
So that was never sn option.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

A. This choice was not an option for us. The New Big East would not have taken us.

B. Independent in football??? That's obviously a non-starter.

We make very little over the next few years (excepting the collection of FEES). We build for a time that someone recognizes how really solid we are becoming ... and it's Football that drives this.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reading the football preview magazines is incredibly depressing. Next football season is going to feel like a wake. I do not see any way to compete in football with the revenue disadvantage that UConn currently has. Our next coach is a second tier assistant that has already been passed over for major jobs. In case you are wondering whether to drink the hemlock or not, I don't think we will even get another HC with a resume as strong as Pasqualoni's.

Ollie will hang around for a while, until he sees how hard it is to recruit in the big cities in the north without conference opponents in those same cities. He also isn't going to enjoy non-stop travel to the south to play mid-major programs that draw 100 fans. Then he will be the next USC coach or some other random Pac 12 program that doesn't care about basketball and the 500 fans that show up are baked out of their minds but the school can afford to pay $3MM a year for coaches to go .500. Auriemma is not going to fall on his sword. La Tech was once a powerhouse in women's hoop, and they just went 9-9 in the WAC. Auriemma will not ride the roller coaster to the bottom, because there is no track back up, just a brick wall. I think Auriemma takes a mid-major men's job before he coaches a mid-major UConn women's team back to mediocrity.

Conference affiliation is painful. The lack of revenue is fatal.

Reaction Score
Reading the football preview magazines is incredibly depressing. Next football season is going to feel like a wake. I do not see any way to compete in football with the revenue disadvantage that UConn currently has. Our next coach is a second tier assistant that has already been passed over for major jobs. In case you are wondering whether to drink the hemlock or not, I don't think we will even get another HC with a resume as strong as Pasqualoni's.

Ollie will hang around for a while, until he sees how hard it is to recruit in the big cities in the north without conference opponents in those same cities. He also isn't going to enjoy non-stop travel to the south to play mid-major programs that draw 100 fans. Then he will be the next USC coach or some other random Pac 12 program that doesn't care about basketball and the 500 fans that show up are baked out of their minds but the school can afford to pay $3MM a year for coaches to go .500. Auriemma is not going to fall on his sword. La Tech was once a powerhouse in women's hoop, and they just went 9-9 in the WAC. Auriemma will not ride the roller coaster to the bottom, because there is no track back up, just a brick wall. I think Auriemma takes a mid-major men's job before he coaches a mid-major UConn women's team back to mediocrity.

Conference affiliation is painful. The lack of revenue is fatal.

Agreed Nelson, for the most part. Very quickly, the lack of revenue will prove unsustainable. Something has to give but we have gone down this road a million times. Football in the AAC long-term will destroy the UCONN brand and the few programs that are still elite. I do think as long as Ollie continues to win, continues to get guys in the NBA, and continues to be a national storyline(all doable even in the aac) the basketball team can remain elite. As far as the UConn women and Geno are concerned, it doesn't really matter what conference they are in. They are women's hoops. I can't imagine what that sport will look like without Geno and a dominant Husky team, but I am sure most people won't even care at that point.

College sports has changed. Its less competitive on the field and more a war on tv ratings. My hope is that there will be a clear winner and loser, a network that does penetrate NYC and one that clearly doesn't. If so, one would think the loser would have to jump on adding UConn. We have 3-5 years for this to play out. If I am wrong, my last hope is for Ollie to see this through. At that point, I don't see any choice but to euthanize football and join the big east in hoops. Anything else will be unsustainable.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Basketball will survive OK. UConn will need to do the Gonzaga thing: Book great tourneys and book great OOC teams appealing to ESPN and Network TV.

Football is much tougher. The good news is the recruiting was never good in football. I doubt it gets much worse. I do expect we will see coaches lured away every 5 years.

By 2020 UConn will be available on Xbox as a separate 24/7 Channel' and other teams will be pushing for their own team channels complete with Forums and Social Networks and apps and a subscription fee and a merchandise store and games to be played on devices and in bars.

Reaction Score
Agreed Nelson, for the most part. Very quickly, the lack of revenue will prove unsustainable. Something has to give but we have gone down this road a million times. Football in the AAC long-term will destroy the UCONN brand and the few programs that are still elite. I do think as long as Ollie continues to win, continues to get guys in the NBA, and continues to be a national storyline(all doable even in the aac) the basketball team can remain elite. As far as the UConn women and Geno are concerned, it doesn't really matter what conference they are in. They are women's hoops. I can't imagine what that sport will look like without Geno and a dominant Husky team, but I am sure most people won't even care at that point.

College sports has changed. Its less competitive on the field and more a war on tv ratings. My hope is that there will be a clear winner and loser, a network that does penetrate NYC and one that clearly doesn't. If so, one would think the loser would have to jump on adding UConn. We have 3-5 years for this to play out. If I am wrong, my last hope is for Ollie to see this through. At that point, I don't see any choice but to euthanize football and join the big east in hoops. Anything else will be unsustainable.
Euthanize football? If it gets to that point, heads will roll. With the dollars involved (eg. the Burton & Shenckman donations, Rent construction), killing off the football team will cause a major purge in the University's administration.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Euthanize football? If it gets to that point, heads will roll. With the dollars involved (eg. the Burton & Shenckman donations, Rent construction), killing off the football team will cause a major purge in the University's administration.

The football team has three choices:

1) Lose $5MM a year to stay competitive.

2) Go 2-10 every year selling the non-conference schedule to SEC teams and playing in front of crickets at home.

3) Shut the football program down.

You tell me which they will pick.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

2) Go 2-10 every year selling the non-conference schedule to SEC teams and playing in front of crickets at home.

Where does your $5M come from? Serious question.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Where does your $5M come from? Serious question.

He was the most vocal person about the Big East turning down $12 million a team and going to market. We saw what a winning strategy that was. The more negative he is about the path UConn is taking the more likely it is the right road.

Reaction Score
He was the most vocal person about the Big East turning down $12 a team and going to market. We saw what a winning strategy that was. The more negative he is about the path UConn is taking the more likely it is the right road.

I thought the Big East simply didn't have the votes to approve the deal due to multiple members already having talks with the ACC at the time and were on their way out?

I'm not sure if there are any current members in the AAC who voted against the original deal...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought the Big East simply didn't have the votes to approve the deal due to multiple members already having talks with the ACC at the time and were on their way out?

I'm not sure if there are any current members in the AAC who voted against the original deal...

According to the stories talks with Pitt and Syracuse hadn't started yet.

Who knows because it doesn't matter. Nelson was banging a drum to go to market no matter what - NBC was going to be sitting and waiting with a pot of gold.

Reaction Score

#3 would generate a greater overall net loss than #1, so go with #1, but don't treat it as a loss, but rather treat it as an investment that staves off greater losses.

Reaction Score

During the Korean War the 1st Marine Div was encircled by Chinese troops. Outnumbered 10-1 they fought their way back to safety.
The weather was sub zero and they suffered great casualties.
I worked with a veteran of that battle.
The only pride he took from that famous battle was the fact that they didn't leave any of their killed or wounded behind.
Leaving behind the weak is a profound act of cowardice.
We are not cowards.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member