i'm all ears NelsonMuntz | The Boneyard

i'm all ears NelsonMuntz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
what you thinking about? its been a bit since your dropped a thread on us. you were fully in the screwed camp. drop football, BE bball, mac this, mojo that and govt wars etc.... we all remember. but for 2 years prior to all this me and u went back and forth with many CR things like potential vs schools ceilings and so on.

where do u sit today? i was firmly in the build it camp. the rather play tulane then play no one camp. but things are just getting worse and worse it seems. i'm all ears.

(passes the mic to nelson....)

Reaction Score
what you thinking about? its been a bit since your dropped a thread on us. you were fully in the screwed camp. drop football, BE bball, mac this, mojo that and govt wars etc.... we all remember. but for 2 years prior to all this me and u went back and forth with many CR things like potential vs schools ceilings and so on.

where do u sit today? i was firmly in the build it camp. the rather play tulane then play no one camp. but things are just getting worse and worse it seems. i'm all ears.

(passes the mic to nelson....)

Ross Perot is as well.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
He had the good sense to step away from the keyboard......

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
$5 he ignored you, HFD. Seems to be trending...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't post here any more because this board is possibly the most depressing place on the Internet. Every break that could have possibly gone against UConn, did, from the Big 12 inexplicably holding together to the Big 10 equally inexplicably adding two zeros like Rutgers and Maryland to UNC not pursuing the Big 10 to Warde going back for thirds at the buffet line in the Bahamas while the AD of a community college in Kentucky was buying ACC AD's coke and whores to get the last spot on the last life boat off the Titanic.

So what would you like me to say?

Reaction Score
I don't post here any more because this board is possibly the most depressing place on the Internet. Every break that could have possibly gone against UConn, did, from the Big 12 inexplicably holding together to the Big 10 equally inexplicably adding two zeros like Rutgers and Maryland to UNC not pursuing the Big 10 to Warde going back for thirds at the buffet line in the Bahamas while the AD of a community college in Kentucky was buying ACC AD's coke and whores to get the last spot on the last life boat off the Titanic.

That really is all there is in a nutshell. Not much else to say regarding CR as it relates to UConn. If you're a UConn fan, go to games and enjoy them. And if you can spare it, donate a couple of bucks toward athletics when you can.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

I want to talk about why ESPN broke the AAC into two groups as far as the contract surviving if a raid happens. I don't understand that split of teams slots wise. If ESPN knew what was going on with CR and the acc schools drafting a gor then what do we not know b12 wise?

Reaction Score
I want to talk about why ESPN broke the AAC into two groups as far as the contract surviving if a raid happens. I don't understand that split of teams slots wise. If ESPN knew what was going on with CR and the acc schools drafting a gor then what do we not know b12 wise?
Huh

Reaction Score

If this is the most depressing board, then yours is the most depressing post on the most depressing board. How is Texas not wanting all the travel costs and loss of lonestar network privileges associated with joining the Pac/SEC/B1G inexplicable? How is the B1G moving into the most populated (and densely populated) and underserved region in the country inexplicable? How is the ACC populated with a few selfish, petulant, cut-off-their-nose miscreants, led by an ineffective commish picking up Louisville inexplicable?

Know what's inexplicable? Giving up.

Reaction Score

I second the "Huh."

pj

Reaction Score
I second the "Huh."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...nated-two-more-school-exits-according-sources

NBC Sports Network's contract divided the league into Group A (Connecticut, Cincinnati, Houston and Temple) and Group B (the remaining members), sources said.
The media rights deal can be terminated if either two Group A schools leave or one Group A and one Group B school leave. If two Group B schools leave, the contract will be renegotiated, sources said.

So the question is why NBC (ESPN?) valued Connecticut, Cincinnati, Houston, and Temple more highly than USF or UCF who are in top 20 media markets and have decent football teams.

It's a mystery but decoding it is like trying to divine the future from animal intestines.

Reaction Score

You calling for UConn to shut down the FB program was pretty upbeat I'll give you that.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If this is the most depressing board, then yours is the most depressing post on the most depressing board. How is Texas not wanting all the travel costs and loss of lonestar network privileges associated with joining the Pac/SEC/B1G inexplicable? How is the B1G moving into the most populated (and densely populated) and underserved region in the country inexplicable? How is the ACC populated with a few selfish, petulant, cut-off-their-nose miscreants, led by an ineffective commish picking up Louisville inexplicable?

Know what's inexplicable? Giving up.

So UConn deserved what happened to it?

These kind of attack the messenger posts are exactly why I don't post here.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You calling for UConn to shut down the FB program was pretty upbeat I'll give you that.

Throwing one program in the toilet is more upbeat than throwing all of them in.

Reaction Score
Throwing one program in the toilet is more upbeat than throwing all of them in.

Are you saying the basketball program is in the toilet? From where I sit the 2013 - 2014 schedule is more interesting then it has been in a long time, recruiting is going well and we have a team that can get to the final four. Nice toilet.

also UCONN basketball will be featured prominently on ESPN under the new contract... but in your world we should have killed football so the basketball team could play Seton Hall and Butler on the Fox network, not to mention that killing football would destroy any chance we have for a future conference upgrade....do you ever admit you were wrong?

You should be an undertaker.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Are you saying the basketball program is in the toilet? From where I sit the 2013 - 2014 schedule is more interesting then it has been in a long time, recruiting is going well and we have a team that can get to the final four. Nice toilet.

also UCONN basketball will be featured prominently on ESPN under the new contract... but in your world we should have killed football so the basketball team could play Seton Hall and Butler on the Fox network, not to mention that killing football would destroy any chance we have for a future conference upgrade....do you ever admit you were wrong?

You should be an undertaker.

What Nelson is saying is this. Right now our basketball plays in a crappy league. The draws over time in this league will result in bad attendance and a bad SOS in conf. That will in time be hard to generate money for uconn ticket sales wise. The conf will never improve to our level enough to be a quality bball league. Right now in this league we are left out of the power 5.In football right now is the same story.

If we were to drop football then bball could have possibly way back when split with the bball schools. It's a hard decision to make and there no guarantee the bball schools would have taken us. Our program they sure could have used and the history and all that but were not a small private. But if we made the call back then I think it's somewhat safe to say we could have split with them if we really committed to it.

That would have put our bball program in a good bball league with teams that will draw and compete which makes uconn bball a stellar in a quality conf. It's not in the power 5 but if the power 5 split the BE sits in a unique spot. Because football by all fcs schools could easily be dropped in this league the BE could split and join and pay the stiped and only compete in bball and others.

The result there is uconn plays big boy basketball and no football. That's what Nelson is talking about. As opposed to right now where we play neither big boy football or bball.

See the difference?

Bball may be strong rigt now and look up but once Lville and Ruty leave and the schedules start to fill with more ecu, Tulsa and Tulane type games that will slowly set it and the school will see the result. Nelson is not confident in our schools leadership that with this happening that they could be creative and decisive enough to keep the programs a float in hard times.

Reaction Score
See the difference?

Here's the difference, nobody is going to watch new big east basketball on the fox network. UCONN will be a featured player on ESPN, we will be fine and the new big east will fall off a cliff.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Here's the difference, nobody is going to watch new big east basketball on the fox network. UCONN will be a featured player on ESPN, we will be fine and the new big east will fall of a cliff.

Your joking right?

Fox 1 is going to pump BE bball. I hate the private schools but ppl are going to watch. Those schools rep cities. There is a customer because we knew this the last 20 years ourselves. They will add Stl and Day or whoever and get to 12. They will be sitting pretty. They can watch all this crazy NCAA stuff go down and be quiet. Since football is not a thing for them just some have fcs teams, they are going to land with the power schools no matter what and pay the stipend.

ESPN? Uconn? Lol your buying that crap? Md is on espn3 they just Announced lol. Who in this conf is going to top a game with md? Lmfao you have bought the bs. When you schedule is Cincy and then a mix of temple, USF, UCF, Tulane, Tulsa and so on games on ESPN are the least of issues. Did u see the tv contract we got? Lmfao u think exposure is really going to be a win for us. Besides Cincy, uconn and Memphis basketball will not exist on national tv in the future of this league.

If uconn did what Nelson wanted which was cut fball and join bball then uconn vs all the historic Be schools would be a draw on fox. Be use it was for years on ESPN. There is worth in that. Once you then have butler as a rematch type show story and so on it Darry's on from there.

I don't agree with Nelson. But every day we sit still I nudge more towards his point back then.

Reaction Score
Your joking right?

Fox 1 is going to pump BE bball. I hate the private schools but ppl are going to watch. Those schools rep cities. There is a customer because we knew this the last 20 years ourselves. They will add Stl and Day or whoever and get to 12. They will be sitting pretty. They can watch all this crazy NCAA stuff go down and be quiet. Since football is not a thing for them just some have fcs teams, they are going to land with the power schools no matter what and pay the stipend.

ESPN? Uconn? Lol your buying that crap? Md is on espn3 they just Announced lol. Who in this conf is going to top a game with md? Lmfao you have bought the bs. When you schedule is Cincy and then a mix of temple, USF, UCF, Tulane, Tulsa and so on games on ESPN are the least of issues. Did u see the tv contract we got? Lmfao u think exposure is really going to be a win for us. Besides Cincy, uconn and Memphis basketball will not exist on national tv in the future of this league.

If uconn did what Nelson wanted which was cut fball and join bball then uconn vs all the historic Be schools would be a draw on fox. Be use it was for years on ESPN. There is worth in that. Once you then have butler as a rematch type show story and so on it Darry's on from there.

I don't agree with Nelson. But every day we sit still I nudge more towards his point back then.

The 2013 football season is the old contract, so your reference to the Maryland game being on ESPN 3 is pointless. Under the new contract ESPN 3 does not count as television. AAC basketball (and football) is going to be all over ESPN Television because that is what ESPN agreed to purchase.

I'm sure Providence games will have nice TV ratings for Fox in Providence, nationally nobody will be watching.

Reaction Score
If were going to succumb to the alarmist reasoning of killing one program to save the others, then it has to be abundantly clear that doing so is the best option. For example, dropping football out of panic better assure that the outcome will be better. The new media deal pays out roughly 1.5 million per team (roughly, it might be less than that, but it is not a huge difference). The Fox deal pays the basketball teams 3 million a year. Is dropping football, and consigning the basketball team to a conference that is basketball only really a better alternative? The "new" Big East is essentially a better version of the A-10. While those schools are good basketball schools, there is a ceiling to what a mid-major accomplishes.

Taking away Butler, Wichita State and VCU's runs in recent years (and even including them, only Butler came a shot from winning a title, and that was with an NBA lottery pick), do the Mid-majors really sustain real basketball success. They have good programs sure, but do they really qualify as real threats to win a national title? Not really, the power 5 wins out in the end. Is receiving an additional 1.5 million a year by joining those forces, plus the residual money retained from not subsidizing football really going to be enough to keep pace with the power 5 conferences. It does not appear likely. When a school such as Iowa State is getting 20+ million dollars a year, the gap becomes too much.

Did you notice that the non-FBS football schools that sustained consistent basketball success happened to be in the Big East? Maybe someone else can come out with the exact numbers, because I do not have them, but I'd wager that they not only made more money by association with the football-playing members, and being in a power conference. Does the addition of Butler and Creighton really compensate for losing Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, and UConn? No. The new Big East is only a shell of what it once was.

Dropping out of the football game, and foreclosing EVER having the opportunity to move up in the world is a death sentence to the ceiling of UConn athletics. While the AAC is not the best thing in the world, it is better than that alternative.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Your joking right?

The BE will be sitting pretty? Now you must be joking. The best team, the team with the most success ove the last decade is Butler. THE dominant teams from the now defunct BE were all FB schools. Any positive movement by the returning BE teams (Marquette, Villanova, G Town) will be countered by the negative momentum of Providence, Seton Hall, St Johns and DePaul. Those are four teams that have never been able to get out of their own way. Creighton and Xavier are nice programs but they have been inconsistent in weaker conferences. Nah, the Catholic 7 will look back fondly on whatever success nova, Marquette and Gtown had prior to 2013. Those will be their glory days.

UConn's position sucks b ut be real, the new BE will be a shadow of what it once was.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You guys don't understand. If the power 5 either break away or get a new level in the NCAA so that they can pay a stipend then they are on another level. All other schools can not be on that level. So then the BE can drop fcs football for the schools that play it and join the power 5 in bball and other sports and pay the stipend. The BE schools clearly would want that. On the other end the power 5 will want that because that league would be all of the best f the rest and really completely close out the profit from non profit schools. Now the power 5 with 70ish schools plus a 16-20 team BE is somewhere around 90 schools. They can have a 64 team tney with the bottom30 not making it and that's the best revenue ever. They control the tv for it and only big boys play in it.

The big east has set themselves up to join this. It's clear. What they have set up is that they can get to 12 with Dayton, Xavier, creighton, Stl, butler and then they can build from there. One could argue that they can add Zaga, STM, and some others for a best bball league cross country and be a major player.

The stipend and focus on bball will keep this group above water and they together will build a rival brand to the fball schools while laying at the same level. Basically the Texas techs of the world will never pass the gowns and butlers on the court. Then over time(years) these schools playing at this level will all have big fanbases if they don't already and they will become very known brand wise with the elite fball schools as just being part of the best level in the NCAA or the breakaway league.

If uconn were to drop football and join the Be, that contract only gets better. Same with Cincy or Memphis. The BE has a identity we all know. But a year ago before poop hit the fan if we decided this was the path I have no doubts we could have worked it out and gone with them. Same with Cincy. The private schools are not dumb when money is on the table. It's to late now tho for everyone and were probably the only case that they even take a look and think about if we were to commit to that lifestyle.

I'm not saying I want to do this. But it has to be considered depending on what the future holds in our best view from inside our cr war room( which I think we don't even have sad enough...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom