i'm all ears NelsonMuntz | Page 4 | The Boneyard

i'm all ears NelsonMuntz

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
it's posts like this that suggest you add zero value to this board.
in fact, I would actually say your comments are a drain and a complete waste of time...

Great point. We need some more "UCONN to the B1G" posts. That makes this board a much better place.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes my post is reasonable and makes sense.

Only you Waylon could possibly try to argue that UConn is a better fit with 10 tiny private schools, 9 of them Catholic.

The Big East football conference was pretty amazing? There is one person who has that opinion. You.

You are just lost. ECU plays in front of crickets?

For some reason you are hard for playing Providence and Seton Hall. Since you'd clearly prefer not having a football program to having one why don't you just stop paying attention and commenting now?

Here is a guy that would bash the Big East and UConn with every other post he made, and now he is bashing me for being critical of UConn's current situation.

Good stuff.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I meant basketball for #3 which I think everyone else figured out, but that was a good "gotcha" post on your part.

To be fair, its often difficult to understand what the hell youre talking about. You were talking about football In your second point so I figured you were in point #3.

2) The last decade of Big East football was pretty amazing. The AAC is not awful as a football conference, but whereas the Big East was winning about half its games against major conference opponents (just about every year but 2010), the AAC will win about 1/3.

3) The difference in fan interest between the middle and bottom of the Big East and the middle and bottom of the AAC is enormous. ECU, Houston, SMU and Tulsa are bad programs that play in front of crickets.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Here is a guy that would bash the Big East and UConn with every other post he made, and now he is bashing me for being critical of UConn's current situation.

Good stuff.

In Waylon's world being realistic about the contract the league would get is 'bash'.

I bashed UConn? You are willing to euthanize the football program to align with Creighton and Xavier. Who thinks nothing of UConn? Might it be the guy who thinks they should aspire to land with Seton Hall and DePaul?

Reaction Score
J187MoThe 718 said:
Lol. That answers that. When i typed it in google maps SC came up first and I was too lazy to cross reference.
Easy mistake. The Greenvile-Spartanburg, SC area has been one of the fastest growing areas of the south since BMW opened a plant there years ago. Greenville, NC is like Storrs...if there wasn't a large university there it wouldn't appear on any maps. So if you use a search engine, Greenville, SC will always pop up before Greenville, NC.

Reaction Score
To be fair, its often difficult to understand what the hell youre talking about. You were talking about football In your second point so I figured you were in point #3.

2) The last decade of Big East football was pretty amazing. The AAC is not awful as a football conference, but whereas the Big East was winning about half its games against major conference opponents (just about every year but 2010), the AAC will win about 1/3.

3) The difference in fan interest between the middle and bottom of the Big East and the middle and bottom of the AAC is enormous. ECU, Houston, SMU and Tulsa are bad programs that play in front of crickets.
Point #3 is legitimate in my estimation. ECU, Houston, SMU, Tulane. In basketball at least not a soul cares. Nobody goes to the games. And the teams in general are really really bad. While Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul and St Johns are bad, SMU, Houston, Tulane are barely D1. The difference in the levels of the programs is pretty dramatic. The bottom of the AAC would struggle in the Northeast Conference. The bottom of the Big East would stuggle in the A-10 or the CAA, perhaps, but would compete every night in the NEC.

Reaction Score

Your facts on ECU are wrong... They have a huge following, just located in a small market.
You'd be best served to check their attendance figures before making these blanket comments. I believe they'll have one of the best attendance figures, if not the best attendance in this league.

Reaction Score
Your facts on ECU are wrong... They have a huge following, just located in a small market.
You'd be best served to check their attendance figures before making these blanket comments. I believe they'll have one of the best attendance figures, if not the best attendance in this league.
Their football attendance is very good. They draw really well. 47000 last season. Basketball not so much. I'd guess in the 4500 range. And that is pretty typical of our new mates. Outside Memphis and Temple, nobody cares about basketball and nobody goes to the games. Some are embarrassingly bad. Tulane Average Attendance for 2012 was 2252, SMU had 2012 , Houston, who Nelson was pedaling a while back as the future of the league, brought in a whopping 3788 on average. Should note that Tulane doesn't draw flies for football either, 18000 per game average. Tulsa was just over 20,000.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Point #3 is legitimate in my estimation. ECU, Houston, SMU, Tulane. In basketball at least not a soul cares. Nobody goes to the games. And the teams in general are really really bad. While Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul and St Johns are bad, SMU, Houston, Tulane are barely D1. The difference in the levels of the programs is pretty dramatic. The bottom of the AAC would struggle in the Northeast Conference. The bottom of the Big East would stuggle in the A-10 or the CAA, perhaps, but would compete every night in the NEC.

While true, none of the games against the 7 teams above would register as key victories or quality losses on a teams' resume on Selection Sunday, but they would all register as bad losses.

If UConn takes care of the business at hand, the program has no worries in terms of basketball.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tulane draws 18k for football games in their wet dreams.

Reaction Score
Tulane draws 18k for football games in their wet dreams.
That's what was reported by the NCAA as their average attendance. They play in a 70,000 Super Dome so even a 35000 crowd looks like nobody.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's what was reported by the NCAA as their average attendance. They play in a 70,000 Super Dome so even a 35000 crowd looks like nobody.

Yes, I understand what gets reported. They get less than 10 in reality.

Reaction Score
Their football attendance is very good. They draw really well. 47000 last season. Basketball not so much. I'd guess in the 4500 range. And that is pretty typical of our new mates. Outside Memphis and Temple, nobody cares about basketball and nobody goes to the games. Some are embarrassingly bad. Tulane Average Attendance for 2012 was 2252, SMU had 2012 , Houston, who Nelson was pedaling a while back as the future of the league, brought in a whopping 3788 on average. Should note that Tulane doesn't draw flies for football either, 18000 per game average. Tulsa was just over 20,000.
It's clear there is growth potential in this league.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yes, I understand what gets reported. They get less than 10 in reality.

I absolutely despise the Tulane addition, but at least they are building an on campus stadium. 10,000 in a 30,000 seat stadium has to look better than 70,000....Right....right?

Just whenever I start to get even a little but excited about the AAC I realize Tulane is in the league and I just get depressed.

Reaction Score
I absolutely despise the Tulane addition, but at least they are building an on campus stadium. 10,000 in a 30,000 seat stadium has to look better than 70,000....Right....right?

Just whenever I start to get even a little but excited about the AAC I realize Tulane is in the league and I just get depressed.
I'm with you. the problem with this league is that there are some schools which you just don't anticipate will ever have much upside. Tulane seems to me to be what Providence would be if it had football, and an academic reputation of any sort. They are not going to invest in things. Their new on campus stadium is going to seat 30,000. Nothing says big time like a 30,000 seat stadium with zero expansion potential.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The idea that Tulane would need to expand a 30k stadium is actually pretty funny.
From 2008-2012 Tulane has averaged a turnstile count of 5,800.

2,119 for SMU in 2012. Tulane is an absolute joke. They make no sense in this league at all.

Reaction Score
The idea that Tulane would need to expand a 30k stadium is actually pretty funny.
From 2008-2012 Tulane has averaged a turnstile count of 5,800.

2,119 for SMU in 2012. Tulane is an absolute joke. They make no sense in this league at all.
Where did you get those numbers? For FOOTBALL??? NCAA.org lists 18085, which I thought was awful.http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Stats/Football/Attendance/index.html if it was only 5800 they belong in the D3. And it begs the age old question, if Tulane played a football game and nobody saw it, did they really lose?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Where did you get those numbers? For FOOTBALL??? NCAA.org lists 18085, which I thought was awful.http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Stats/Football/Attendance/index.html if it was only 5800 they belong in the D3. And it begs the age old question, if Tulane played a football game and nobody saw it, did they really lose?

The NCAA publishes tickets distributed. The Superdome published turnstile counts.

Google tulane football attendance and it's the first link to thehullabaloo.com article from November 8th 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom