I'm a Uconn fan because ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I'm a Uconn fan because ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I became a fan in 1963 when at 8 years old I went with my father (UConn Grad) to
1. Every home game at the old fieldhouse watching Toby, Wes, Staak, etc play against all those New England teams and seeing Dr J - having season tickets from 1963 thru 2008, Watching the away games on the old black and white TV remembering my father moaning about Art Stephenson of URI while drinking a Carling Black Label.
2. Going to NYC to the few NITs in those early days (taking the train and subways and exiting still feeling clean!)
3. Going to all those BE tournaments, starting in Providence and ending at the Garden
4. Going to UConn soccer with my father in 1963 and on, first at a home field that ran in the opposite direction of current stadium with no bleachers, no fences, nothing but 2 goals and two wooden benches for the teams. Becoming a member of Friends of Soccer and growing with the team as it dominated the regional national scene.
5. Going with my father in the early 60s to watch UConn baseball play on a field with a backstop and fences on only as far as the infield baselines with cinderblock dugouts with half roofs.
6. Watching UConn hockey in an open air rink.

Placing both the 2011 and 2014 championship flags on my father's grave site is what makes me a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
I grew up in a house that flew the flag on game days. That is probably why I becamea a fan.

If I have to tell you why I have remained a fan, you not been paying attention.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Listening to Joey Whelton playing big as a frosh on the radio. .

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I grew up in hockey country but despised the pucking game. Basketball was always my area of interest and I frequently visited family living in the USA before I lived here. I lived in southern California when I first came permanently to the states, then moved up here in '92. I remember tuning in to WTNH one Saturday night when UConn played against Georgetown and even though they lost, I became hooked on the playing style, coach, and players on the team. I was lucky enough to see "the shot" in 1990 even though I wasn't living up here yet but that game resonated with me UConn basketball never completely left my mind after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom