I'm a Uconn fan because ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm a Uconn fan because ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Grew up in CT.
Went to Uconn and watched Yankee Conference bball in the Field House.
Corny and McKay kept hope alive.
NIT, dream season. Then it became an obsession.

Reaction Score
My dad was a huge fan so I was from birth...also grew up 20 miles from campus. I still have a hard time sleeping after they lose. I'm forever grateful to coach Calhoun, for all he's done on and away from the court. I've seen him in town many times and would love to tell him but don't want to intrude. My dad died unexpectedly in September but it was almost fitting that I was sitting at the Rent waiting for kickoff when I got the dreaded phone call. Haven't been able to go back to the Rent but will today to honor Jazz...gotta get back on the horse at some point-seems like the right time.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Take care of yourself and best wishes.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Because when I had no cable I always got channel 55, they showed most the UCONN games!

Because growing up on the boarder of Greenwich and baisicily being raised in Connecticut UCONN was my team!

I remember watching the Marshall brothers and then after the game going outside shoveling my driveway and playing basketball, my grandma thought I was crazy!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Because when I had no cable I always got channel 55, they showed most the UCONN games!

Because growing up on the boarder of Greenwich and baisicily being raised in Connecticut UCONN was my team!

I remember watching the Marshall brothers and then after the game going outside shoveling my driveway and playing basketball, my grandma thought I was crazy!
She was right!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My dad was a huge fan so I was from birth...also grew up 20 miles from campus. I still have a hard time sleeping after they lose. I'm forever grateful to coach Calhoun, for all he's done on and away from the court. I've seen him in town many times and would love to tell him but don't want to intrude. My dad died unexpectedly in September but it was almost fitting that I was sitting at the Rent waiting for kickoff when I got the dreaded phone call. Haven't been able to go back to the Rent but will today to honor Jazz...gotta get back on the horse at some point-seems like the right time.
My guess is he would want you to go back!

Reaction Score

Who were the "Marshall brothers"?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I am a UConn fan because I suffered through the Perno years and survived. I earned it.

I became a fan my freshman year in college when our basketball team was led by a freshman named Corny Thompson. Prior to that season it never occurred to me that UConn could be mentioned in the same breath as schools like UCLA and Kentucky but at that time, reinforced by Indiana St making the national title game by having basically one player (Larry Bird), DePaul making the final four due to freshman (Mark Aguirre, who I had believed was the second best freshman in the NCAA that year until the tournament), Penn (and Ivy League school of all things) making the final four because one pretty good (for college) basketball player played remarkable (Tony Price, AJ's father) and Michigan St winning it all because one incredible player (Magic) was what made them more than a pretty good (at best) team.

The subsequent Perno years went from frustrating to infuriating but all that did was build my resolve as a UConn fan and convince me further that we could become something of substance.

Reaction Score
My dad loved the Field House and loved taking my brother and I there. We loved the times we had there and in turn ended up loving the program, way before it was what see now.

George Erlich, transistor radios on school nights under the pillow - Wes, Corley, Chapman, Hrubala, Staak, Boyd, Malon, Vaughn, Leeotis, Foster etc etc - then old enough to get there myself. My dad and uncles a little less eager to continue following outside the Field House so the trips to Providence , BC (The old Garden - Hanson, Whelton, Carr, Abro) the Cuse for the first BE tourney there, McDonough later for GTown and many trips later to The Penta for the BE tourney at MSG..........lots of fun and lots of guys during these years - Corny, McKay, Fredericks, Coles, Kelley, Broxton, McCloud, Giscombe, Hobbs, Bailey and on and on.........

Then JC came in - NIT, Cliffy and Phil after Economou and Besselink - and all of a sudden all of those days of being a huge fan and dreaming the BIG dream while the empty feeling of trying to find another team to like when the NCAA tourney began every year ended. I was now in Utopia as not only was I a fan of the Huskies I was a fan of a team who was playing against the elite. And then just as suddenly I was a fan of a program who was beating the elite.

Now WE ARE THE ELITE.

How can you not be a UConn fan?;)........thanks for the intro Dad!

Last edited:

Jim

Reaction Score
Grew up in East Hartford.
Went to high school with Joey Whelton.
My sister went to UCONN.
My mother played basketball when she was younger and was a big fan of Geno's team.
Still live in CT.
I love going to championship parades in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Grew up in East Hartford.
Went to high school with Joey Whelton.
My sister went to UCONN.
My mother played basketball when she was younger and was a big fan of Geno's team.
Still live in CT.
I love going to championship parades in Hartford.

Can't believe I left that regime out of my little essay - Joey was one of my fav's and that team with Carr, Abro, LaVigne and the rest were the first I was able to see win anything big when they won the ECAC.........Joey went to Wethersfield HS right?

Reaction Score
My cousin was team manager in the Wes/Toby days. Got to the fieldhouse a lot.
Like others suffered through Perno (god he was awful, how could you not win with Corny, McKay & Alexsinas) and came out of the tunnel.
Argued with others about the hire of JC (I loved it, they were skeptical).
InfNITy and beyond.

Reaction Score
Because I decided to cross state lines (I live in Mass) and attend Uconn. I arrived on campus in JC's second year but started followed them religiously in JC's first year because I knew I would end up at Uconn. I was a HUGE college basketball fan growing up and yes I knew going to Uconn I would be able to watch St. Johns, Gtown, Nova, Cuse, etc. I was on campus for the NIT win and the Dream Season so I saw JC building the program from the start. Attending Uconn was one of the best decisions I ever made and still love going to the football and basketball games. Now, my daughter is strongly considering attending as well - matter of fact we are going to campus next week so she can be a Husky for a Day and she will be applying to the school within the next month. We BLEED BLUE!!!

Reaction Score
East Catholic in Manchester.

Thanks that's right, he was from Wethersfield though I do believe. Haven't seen a lot better ball handers than him for a long time......on a string

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My Dad had season tickets at the field house and I fell in love with college hoops

This, pretty much.

Amazing to consider that the Dream Season came, roughly, after a quarter century, and I've had a similar amount of time since then, extending through 4 NCs after my father died.

Reaction Score
How can I not be a fan with 2 kids graduated from UConn and 7 years of going to UConn every weekend to visit the kids.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Who were the "Marshall brothers"?
Donny and Donyell aka the Marshall brothers!

I know they weren't blood but me and my friends always called them the Marshall brothers, I guess because the first time I heard about them I thought they were siblings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom