I'm a bit confused | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I'm a bit confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Everyone on this board thinks they are the voice of reason.
I wish I saw this before I wrote my response. Just classic.

Reaction Score
Just so you know the situation: Down 12-3 with about 9 change left in the game. 4th & 13 at the Tulane 39. Punt.

That is not a lesson I expect any football professional to have to "learn on the job".

I'm glad I wasn't watching.

Reaction Score
It's not the slam dunk call you think it is. 9 minutes is plenty of time to get a 2-3 more possessions. If you pin them in side the 5, maybe you get a safety and likely get good field position after a 3 and out.

Miss a 4th and 13 (you betting we have made it?) and you flip the field making two long drives necessary to win.

An aggressive coach might go for it there, but BD has been pretty consistent in not being aggressive with this offense, based on their results.

If I had any confidence in the line allowing the time for CW to take a 7 step drop, I'd say go for it. But, what have we done to inspire that as the percentage play?

Got to say I agree with this. It's the conservative choice.

You know your offense is anemic so you go with your good punter and a good defense and you try to pin Tulane's weak offense down deep.

Nine plus minutes left and down nine points is not desperation time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
whaler11 said:
It's an absolute no brainer to go for it. From the 39 it's almost always an absolute no brainer at any point in the game.

If you are going to punt there you may as well just wave a white flag and head back to the locker room.

4th and 13? 4th and 5, yes.

Reaction Score
How does HCBD preach to a new recruit that there is a light at the end of the tunnel? 1-11 only speaks of the possibility of some playing time...Nothing else.. and in the interim, we'll have less than 25,000 on hand for the UCF and balance of the year games..

Immediate playing time and the facilities is all I can come up.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with the punt, especially with the outcome of the punt pinning them at the 3 yard line.

I have a problem with us not understanding that it is "four-down territory" on our third down play calling. That's where I have the problem. On third down, you have to pick up a chunk of the 13 yards, but you don't necessarily have to pick it all up. That's the issue that I had...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was strong and I regret taking you to task specifically when most of us are guilty of doing things I accused you of doing.

Don't worry about it. It's mostly right.

We are typing on phones about a 1-5 team while doing a dozen other things. That some nuance is lost isn't surprising.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
4th and 13? 4th and 5, yes.

4th and goal from the 39.

Unless you are up one score late in the game there really is never much of a reason to punt from the 39.

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with the punt, especially with the outcome of the punt pinning them at the 3 yard line.

I have a problem with us not understanding that it is "four-down territory" on our third down play calling. That's where I have the problem. On third down, you have to pick up a chunk of the 13 yards, but you don't necessarily have to pick it all up. That's the issue that I had...

Pinning them at the 3 yard line really worked out well for us. If we went for it there and don't make it we probably lose 12-3.

Reaction Score
4th and goal from the 39.

Unless you are up one score late in the game there really is never much of a reason to punt from the 39.

There is a good argument to be made that you shouldn't punt on 4th from that 35-40 yard out range any time in a game.

Reaction Score
The psychological component of coaching a team, and leading a team, is what is lost when you punt like that, in a situation like that. Bill Stewart, RIP, did something similar against us back in 2010, in a similar situation, tight game, late - punted from inside the 40. We were a strong enough team, to take that psychological momentum swing and get the game to OT, and win. That game started our run to the Fiesta Bowl. Bill Stewart never recovered from it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is a good argument to be made that you shouldn't punt on 4th from that 35-40 yard out range any time in a game.

The math of course supports that. The other thing you see when coach's are being aggressive their players respond.

Every week you can see this - ECU and SMU perfect example:

Down 21-0 SMU goes for it three times on a drive starting at midfield.

They get back in the game because they are like 5-6 on fourth down.

Down 14... they tighten up and kick a field goal and never theatened again.

When you have nothing to lose, you'll have more success if you act like it.

If you can't score the last thing you want to do is give up a rare opportunity.

Reaction Score
The math of course supports that. The other thing you see when coach's are being aggressive their players respond.

Every week you can see this - ECU and SMU perfect example:

Down 21-0 SMU goes for it three times on a drive starting at midfield.

They get back in the game because they are like 5-6 on fourth down.

Down 14... they tighten up and kick a field goal and never theatened again.

When you have nothing to lose, you'll have more success if you act like it.

If you can't score the last thing you want to do is give up a rare opportunity.

The last line is what nails it. You can't give up the rare opportunity to actually generate a scoring chance when your offense is this bad. It's that simple.

Reaction Score
Don't disagree with anything said here...but the problem is that the perception of the program by the talking heads in the media and by UConn fans is that the program has gone down the tubes. Several of the performances haven't been even close to D1 standards. How does HCBD preach to a new recruit that there is a light at the end of the tunnel? 1-11 only speaks of the possibility of some playing time...Nothing else.. and in the interim, we'll have less than 25,000 on hand for the UCF and balance of the year games..
the media declares every program dead that isn't living up to standards. Texas, Michigan, are and Auburn a few years back was 'dead'. they all have the same issues of a down season. Baylor was dead way back when they had that shooting.
when it comes to media, especially when dealing with college football, its what have you done lately to the extreme.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
the media declares every program dead that isn't living up to standards. Texas, Michigan, are and Auburn a few years back was 'dead'. they all have the same issues of a down season. Baylor was dead way back when they had that shooting.
when it comes to media, especially when dealing with college football, its what have you done lately to the extreme.
Agree. It also has consequences. Recruits see the media hype. I don't know what percentage are influenced by the hype and what percentage ignore it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Pinning them at the 3 yard line really worked out well for us. If we went for it there and don't make it we probably lose 12-3.

Then you either didn't read or understand my comment. I'm complaining about third down...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I read and understood your comment. You had no issue with punting. There is our disagreement.

I have no issue with punting when you have left yourself at 4th and 13, with an offense that struggles to gain even 7 yards on any given play, against a team that had scored 10 offensive points against us in 3 and a half quarters. Putting them on the 3 yard line was maybe not the best call, but was by no means the call that we should be bitching about.

The call on third down to throw to anyone not named Davis in an attempt to pick up all 13 yards is the play you should be bitching about...

EDIT: Keep in mind that there were 10 minutes and 13 seconds left to go in the 4th quarter at the time.

Reaction Score
The psychological component of coaching a team, and leading a team, is what is lost when you punt like that, in a situation like that. Bill Stewart, RIP, did something similar against us back in 2010, in a similar situation, tight game, late - punted from inside the 40. We were a strong enough team, to take that psychological momentum swing and get the game to OT, and win. That game started our run to the Fiesta Bowl. Bill Stewart never recovered from it.

1. Whether Bill Stewart made the right call or not, it had nothing to do with WVU fumbling on the one yard line in OT and us winning the game.

2. Us punting was the right call. I'm betting on our defense to get a quick stop rather than our offense convert a 4th and 13 any day. And despite that it didn't happen, we still got 2 more possessions afterwards, and should have still at least had a chance for a 3rd if our kicker makes a chip shot.

I'm all for being aggressive on 4th down, especially on that part of the field. Not with this offense though

Reaction Score
This is pure psychology of groups. Diaco is not doing well with it. He has done a masterful job of rebuilding the overall makeup of the team and they do not show any sign of quit in them, but they are not mentally prepared to compete. Focused. I would wager that Diaco has had them so fired up at half in the past 2 games that they were ready to tear holes in walls. We had an offsides on the 2nd half opening kick, and then a personal foul late hit, roughing. I do really like Diaco, I just hope that when his education as a coach advances, he stays to pay it back with wins and championships.
I agree with the fire and passion Diaco and the kids are giving to the program and effort on the field. Only thing I'm hanging my hat on for the future. It's a great attribute to have and gives me faith for the programs future, despite the results on the field. My problem is the handling of the qb's which you have had the same questions as myself. Since that first game when I saw his process take place and didn't like it one bit, but he said he was going to do it and he has followed through on his thinking. I can't fault a guy for believing that his process will be a winning one. Have to have faith, at least I try to tell myself on Saturdays.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
1. Whether Bill Stewart made the right call or not, it had nothing to do with WVU fumbling on the one yard line in OT and us winning the game.

2. Us punting was the right call. I'm betting on our defense to get a quick stop rather than our offense convert a 4th and 13 any day. And despite that it didn't happen, we still got 2 more possessions afterwards, and should have still at least had a chance for a 3rd if our kicker makes a chip shot.

I'm all for being aggressive on 4th down, especially on that part of the field. Not with this offense though

I am surprised how many people agree with the decision to punt there. In the flow of the game...it seemed obvious to me that he had to go for it there. They rarely get to the 39 of the opposing team..and if they don't convert they are still well into Tulane territory....and most importantly...they team desperately needed to see the coaching staff take a chance to win the game...and not do the uber safe thing.

From a leadership standpoint, it felt like a missed opportunity.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
There was less than 10 minutes to go. Even if we pin them and force a 3 and out...to think we can drive down with, say 7 minutes, get a score and then get the ball back, drive and get another score is longshot. The only sustained drive the team had was the first one and that resulted in a field goal. Going for it was our best shot abeit a long one with this teams offensive deficiencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom