I'm a bit confused | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I'm a bit confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The confusing part is that their regressing not progressing. It seems like if they actually have a chance to win a game like vs USF, Temple, Tulane they choke, and play horribly. When they have pretty much nothing to lose like vs BYU and Boise they play better. It seems like the pressure is off, they preform, and whatever happens so be it. I expect a better game vs ECU since nobody will pick them to win and the pressure is off. The losing mentality really comes into play with teams they should beat.

This is pure psychology of groups. Diaco is not doing well with it. He has done a masterful job of rebuilding the overall makeup of the team and they do not show any sign of quit in them, but they are not mentally prepared to compete. Focused. I would wager that Diaco has had them so fired up at half in the past 2 games that they were ready to tear holes in walls. We had an offsides on the 2nd half opening kick, and then a personal foul late hit, roughing. I do really like Diaco, I just hope that when his education as a coach advances, he stays to pay it back with wins and championships.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is pure psychology of groups. Diaco is not doing well with it. He has done a masterful job of rebuilding the overall makeup of the team and they do not show any sign of quit in them, but they are not mentally prepared to compete. Focused. I would wager that Diaco has had them so fired up at half in the past 2 games that they were ready to tear holes in walls. We had an offsides on the 2nd half opening kick, and then a personal foul late hit, roughing. I do really like Diaco, I just hope that when his education as a coach advances, he stays to pay it back with wins and championships.

Here is an idea... stop punting late in the fourth quarter when losing....

Since the games are already lost maybe show some confidence.

Reaction Score

I worry, based on what my brain tells me about what my eyes see. I'm not ready to throw the towel in, by any means. He's a young coach, that's never been a head coach, and to my knowledge, never been really involved in evaluating anything other than the defensive side of the ball. It was a risky hire, that Manuel made, and the types of things that are happening, are expected. It's also expected that there be some learning demonstrated to.

I hope that he's got a real, real good eye for talent and motivation when evaluating players, and he can recruit those kinds of players that we need to succeed at UCONN.

I will say right now, that if he pulls another move like rotating out the starting QB - I'm done. I've had it. I will draw a line right here. If he does that again, I will have lost faith in this guy. I will not accept that this season is meaningless, and I will not accept that you can attempt to build any consistency on offense when you have a roster as young as we do, with a senior QB, and you take that senior QB out of the game for any other reason than he can't physically play anymore.

Ugg.

Reaction Score
So UConn was terrible tonight. They have been terrible all season. (Warning to Pudge: I'm going to point out they are 0-6 against the spread - which is not easy to do.)

What I'm confused by is the number of posters who suddenly are out on Diaco.

It was pretty clear the staff was overmatched all season. I can't understand why if you ignored it for five games, the sixth is an issue?

I don't know if I am out on Diaco, but whatever it is that I am doing, I am doing it with love.

Reaction Score

Right. At least we can shoot for a competent loss before we actually win a game.

Reaction Score
Right. At least we can shoot for a competent loss before we actually win a game.

This must have happened in the fourth Q when I was perusing the media guide online. Did we actually have a situation where it was 4th down and it would have made sense to try instead of kick? I thought we had moved passed this after BYU. Not good.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This must have happened in the fourth Q when I was perusing the media guide online. Did we actually have a situation where it was 4th down and it would have made sense to try instead of kick? I thought we had moved passed this after BYU. Not good.

No they had multiple opportunities where punting made no sense and they punted.

The FG they missed was fine as far as decisions go. I was just surprising that the kicker could miss one after early season practice.

Reaction Score
No they had multiple opportunities where punting made no sense and they punted.

For real? I haven't watched yet. I've been busy enjoying my life. I honestly don't remember right now if it was 7-3 or 9-3 when I walked out on the game the other night to sort my thoughts out. I didn't watch most of the 4th Q. When I finished that one post, I went back and it was 12-3 and 30 seconds left , and done.

I think Patterson and Foley are the only guys on staff that have been head coaches before, and I hope they have a sit down with Bob, and an intervention soon.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For real? I haven't watched yet. I've been busy enjoying my life. I honestly don't remember right now if it was 7-3 or 9-3 when I walked out on the game the other night to sort my thoughts out. I didn't watch most of the 4th Q. When I finished that one post, I went back and it was 12-3 and 30 seconds left , and done.

I think Patterson and Foley are the only guys on staff that have been head coaches before, and I hope they have a sit down with Bob, and an intervention soon.

I don't know why you'd watch the first three quarters and not the fourth but ok.

It's not like this is news but down 2 scores in the fourth they always punt on fourth down.

Because there are 6 quarters and the offense rises like a Phoenix.

Reaction Score
I don't know why you'd watch the first three quarters and not the fourth but ok.

It's not like this is news but down 2 scores in the fourth they always punt on fourth down.

Dude, I'm not sure when, but it was before the end of the game, that I walked out of my TV cave, and went to my den to play with the computer and start looking through the online media guide to see when the last time was that we had a 1 win season. I wrote it the other night. Knew it, to the core, that we weren't going to win the game.

All I know, is that when you are a head coach, you better make your focus and primary goal, to win games - and let the people below in the chain of command figure out how to develop players to do that. This Diaco - he's got to get focused on doing things to win games - NOW. The next game. Not next year's games. That happens with the execution of the organizational plan on a daily basis. The attention to detail - needs to be on the next game and where we are right now - to win it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dude, I'm not sure when, but it was before the end of the game, that I walked out of my TV cave, and went to my den to play with the computer and start looking through the online media guide to see when the last time was that we had a 1 win season. I wrote it the other night. Knew it, to the core, that we weren't going to win the game.

All I know, is that when you are a head coach, you better make your focus and primary goal, to win games - and let the people below in the chain of command figure out how to develop players to do that. This Diaco - he's got to get focused on doing things to win games - NOW. The next game. Not next year's games. That happens with the execution of the organizational plan on a daily basis. The attention to detail - needs to be on the next game and where we are right now - to win it.

It's much simpler than hundreds of words. It's a bad team with an overwhelmed staff.. so they find ways to lose.

Reaction Score

I do. Because we had already met our quota of one offensive score earlier in the game. Not much else to see.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Only you would find this amusing.

Nah. Few would admit it, but the board has been pretty funny the past few days.

The idea a bye week was going to change anything... they had the spring, the fall and 5 games... another week was going to make a difference?

Reaction Score

i've thought the same thing, but what does that do? If the offense is that inept, an extra down isn't going to do much except give the other team the ball in scoring position. At least these games haven't been blow-outs. I think going to that strategy would yield 20-30 losses which would really do nothing to help the team.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
i've thought the same thing, but what does that do? If the offense is that inept, an extra down isn't going to do much except give the other team the ball in scoring position. At least these games haven't been blow-outs. I think going to that strategy would yield 20-30 losses which would really do nothing to help the team.

It provides the team the chance to make a play, from which they might gain confidence and momentum.

It provides fans with the illusion that you are attempting to win the game.

Reaction Score
It's much simpler than hundreds of words. It's a bad team with an overwhelmed staff.. so they find ways to lose.
A knock on Diaco is that he can be stubborn or unwilling to adjust his plans. i don't think the staff is overwhelmed. I think they drafted up a plan and are sticking with it, win or lose. I think CC going down only cemented Whitmer as the starter...

Diaco is playing with house money this year, and I think he's playing for the future (2-3 seasons from now)...

There are clearly some calls that Diaco has made which are questionable. but he's been consistent in his approach and he isn't wavering or getting desperate in his game day planning. Last year, it was a constant question about who's the QB. PP was looking for wins. BD is the opposite. he's even said as much.

Would a seasoned coach be more flexible or take a different tact. Probably. would it yield different results? maybe. I just don't know if you can determine whether BD is successful or not based on 6 games.

Reaction Score

It's a strange situation when you are a voice of reason. I mean this in a good way, not a dig.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Maybe we are padding Wain's stats to win the Ray Guy award this year. I say we should be punting on 1st and 2nd downs ,goddam it. We have a chance to add a trophy to the case in this dismal season!!

Reaction Score
It provides the team the chance to make a play, from which they might gain confidence and momentum.

It provides fans with the illusion that you are attempting to win the game.
not too sure on that.
I played a lot of tennis in my younger days. when I was playing someone that was getting really frustrated (in some cases it was me), you'd throw away your second serve and just go for an ace every time. if you watch tennis on TV, it happens sometimes when a player is getting smoked and just wants to get off the court. It's low percentages which won't work long term. sure, you get an ace or two. but you also double fault more often...
translating that to football, going for every 4th down won't work. maybe you convert one or two. But you also give the ball up on the 20 or 15 yard line as well. I don't read that as trying to win. it's desperation. Given BD's messaging, I don't think you'll see that.

maybe you go for it if the offense is on the ohter team's side of the field. that might be viewed as more aggressive than desperate.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
USF and Tulane are terrible teams. Closely winning those games by cutting a few turnovers wouldn't make this team any better. Though it would make this place a bit happier.

Reaction Score
It's a strange situation when you are a voice of reason. I mean this in a good way, not a dig.

Just so you know the situation: Down 12-3 with about 9 change left in the game. 4th & 13 at the Tulane 39. Punt.

That is not a lesson I expect any football professional to have to "learn on the job".

Reaction Score
not too sure on that.
I played a lot of tennis in my younger days. when I was playing someone that was getting really frustrated (in some cases it was me), you'd throw away your second serve and just go for an ace every time. if you watch tennis on TV, it happens sometimes when a player is getting smoked and just wants to get off the court. It's low percentages which won't work long term. sure, you get an ace or two. but you also double fault more often...
translating that to football, going for every 4th down won't work. maybe you convert one or two. But you also give the ball up on the 20 or 15 yard line as well. I don't read that as trying to win. it's desperation. Given BD's messaging, I don't think you'll see that.

maybe you go for it if the offense is on the ohter team's side of the field. that might be viewed as more aggressive than desperate.

You can't make a blanket statement like that because the variables are plenty.

Down 12-3 with 10 minutes left in the game driving in Tulane territory, assuming you are out of FG range (which we were) you go for it. I don't care if it's 4 & 25.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
image010.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads