Illinois Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Illinois Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
I think their strategy was highly dependent on getting help from the stripes. Let’s run at Clingan and do what we can to get 2 fouls on him early.

When they didn’t get bailed out from the refs, and Clingan was having none of it they fell apart. Also they highly underestimated Johnson when he came in.

I knew we would be okay when I saw Illinois not really playing as team - trying to go ”one of one” and when that didn’t work, launching 3s.

One thing I know for sure is that will never beat us in a neutral court (without home cooking from refs) is the strategy Illinois came with tonight.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Illinois plays by the analytics, thev analytics said that game plan should have worked. Analytics don't mean a damn thing when you got Kling Kong anchoring the D.
I didn't watch either Illinois-Purdue game, but Underwood's game plan must've worked against Edey to some degree, otherwise why would he do it vs DC?

Reaction Score
Special, special TEAM. The pass from Clingan to Spencer was executed perfectly. I'll be sad to see this group play their last game, even if it's a huge W. This 2 year run of lopsided wins is unprecedented. It's like we have a 6th starter in Diarra, he has been that good.

Reaction Score
Illini Reddit understands now

image000000.jpg

caw

Reaction Score
I didn't watch either Illinois-Purdue game, but Underwood's game plan must've worked against Edey to some degree, otherwise why would he do it vs DC?

Edey is slow. Strong but slow. Clingan is not. It’s a huge difference in how they play defense. Clingan is a bit susceptible to guys like say Sanogo. Edey to guys who drive and have speed.

Reaction Score
I think for me the biggest difference in the season and particularly the last 6 weeks is the absolute total buy in from Steph Castle.

Taking a one and done prospect and getting him to buy in to his role like they have is amazing. He's tasked with the best offensive player every night and shuts them down. He's not asked to play on the ball much. He's not asked to score much. He's a 5 star recruit with an NBA check waiting in his mail box at home and they've gotten him to buy in to a role you'd struggle to get 3rd and 4th year players to do.

Big props to Castle and the coaching staff. As one and dones go there's not many who've done it the way he has. The kid is a winner, plays as hard as any kid on the floor and he's a freshman with way bigger basketball aspirations than what he can accomplish in one year at uconn.

I'd also contend as far as on ball defenders go he's the best in the country right now and potentially maybe the best to ever play at uconn.

Reaction Score
I love that this was the second game this tournament where "the opposition had the best player on the floor" and Clingan wound up being, by far, the best player. Second Big Ten star we completely shut down. That league has been overrated for 20+ years. I hope we see Purdue in the championship game.
People underestimate defense unless it's REALLY loud. Like tonight. I imagine this will be the last time he's underrated.

Reaction Score
I think for me the biggest difference in the season and particularly the last 6 weeks is the absolute total buy in from Steph Castle.

I don't know how much of it was the buy in. I think Castle and Clingan's injuries really set them back. Once they both got healthy and into proper shape we saw who they really are.

Reaction Score
You’ve all pretty much said it all
So happy about and for Samson, really played well. Disciplined heads up ball.
Regarding Solo, he realizes games over when he gets in, and plays that way. Hope he can tighten up toughen up, in Storrs

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Ponder this-- Newton/Castle score 7 points and we win by 25
Here's another one:

I was on the phone with my son after the game. He asked if we're playing our best, if everything's working and I said "no, we still aren't shooting close to what we should from three. If we were, we'd have won each of these games by 15-20 more than we did."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom