Ignoring the BE Roots | The Boneyard

Ignoring the BE Roots

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Ouch:

“Our schools, as we’ve expanded throughout time, have not necessarily come in with great basketball programs,’’ he said. “We have a history of elevating teams because of the assets we’re able to provide.’’

Tell that to DePaul and South Florida.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Someone should tell Dana that we already know ESPN wants the Big East to dissolve and go away. He doesn't need to tell us again. Dana bashes the Big East without providing a single alternative other than dissolve and go away like ESPN wants them to.

As for the basketball roots, only SMU, Houston (with many Final Fours) and UCF are joining the league for basketball. Boise and SDSU are football only, as will every other new team.

These articles make me hate ESPN even more.

Reaction Score
I can't stand how our "poor" attendance is used against us, when OKLA-FREAKIN-HOMA only sold ~1500 more tickets through their school than we did ours. Must be nice to have the BIGXII there to mop up all those costs and make everything look nice and pretty for them

Reaction Score
I can't stand how our "poor" attendance is used against us, when OKLA-FREAKIN-HOMA only sold ~1500 more tickets through their school than we did ours. Must be nice to have the BIGXII there to mop up all those costs and make everything look nice and pretty for them

Because the assumption by the media is that Oklahoma couldnt sell tickets because they were playing us. And lets face it there is validity to that. If Oklahoma was playing Michigan even in a bad year they would be able to sell a crapload more tickets.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Because the assumption by the media is that Oklahoma couldnt sell tickets because they were playing us. And lets face it there is validity to that. If Oklahoma was playing Michigan even in a bad year they would be able to sell a crapload more tickets.

Oklahoma couldn't sell tickets because it was a year-end exhibition game that doesn't matter. The Orange Bowl always has trouble selling tickets. The bowls are on the wrong side of history.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Agree with Nelson. She rips the Big East but doesn't tell us what should've happened differently. That article was total garbage.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
She's a stupid.

I've read nonsense from that nitwit and the Sporting News' eunich, DeCourcey, and they simply cannot get their minds around the fact that the Big East simply wants to keep the lights on right now. They didn't ask the ACC to pluck five teams and the Big 12 to take two and counting just so they could go grab the ultimate prize, San Diego State.

They're doing what they have to do to give their members a place to play football after the network that one of them works for orchestrated the destruction of the place they used to play football.

Honestly, a healthy percentage of the sports' media needs to take a bath with a toaster.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The dirty little secret in all this is that our fiesta bowl attendance was fine. There were 10-15k blue shirts in Glendale that day. I know, because I was there.

OU had about 30k or so with the rest local or neutral.

A BCS bowl will sell, a warm weather bowl will sell, a bowl against a good opponent will sell. We've had exactly two that qualify under any of those terms. Our bowl tie-ins suck. They are scattered all over the calendar making planning difficult. Our AD can't put together decent packages. The locations are second tier at best and only half are against quality BCS conferences.opponents. #lotofworktodo.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Just like everyone else who talks about the Big East's roots and the basketball-centric league, they totally miss the point that without football, the Big East is going to be another version of the A-10 or more likely, merged into the A-10. Do they really think that Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia, BC among the original members, and more recently Louisville and Cincinatti, were going to drop football or agree not to play at the highest level in order to preserve the Big East Of course not. So the Big East had two options. Add football or see the football members leave and form their own competetive conference. The resulting basketball league would have been nothing at all like the current Big East. I'm not sure why that is so difficult to understand. The power teams in the Big East over the past decade have been the football schools.

Reaction Score
That's a very stupid article. When it comes to the BE, ESPN always had a negative slant. They are doing it now to devalue the BE before the next TV deal. ESPN does not do anything that won't affect their bottom line and their goal right now is to devalue the BE as much as possible before the next TV deal.

What this writer failed to see is the fact that BE just created a made-for-TV conference that can have 4 back to back FB games on any given Saturday. This kind of option is huge for someone like NBC/Comcast who is looking for all day content in addition to their ND game. The new conference will be made for TV and there will be some interesting match ups. In addition, all the teams added would create some interesting rivalry games.

I hope BE ends up on NBC/Comcast and stay as far away from ESPN as possible.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think her basic point is that the Big East, as a branded entity, has no little value as a football conference, and lots of value as a basketball conference. I think that's true even with these changes.

Agree with all of you she doesn't provide any alternative. ESPN doesn't want the BE to go away, it wants a strong BE basketball league with lots of hoops games, not tied to a football league they don't really want to pay to broadcast. I thought this piece was interesting to illuminate what ESPN really wants...they love BE basketball and don't want to sign up for BB football. So the ESPN take seems to be that they wanted the FB component to die or be spun off as a separate league (with a separate contract), so they can negotiate for the content where they see value, basketball.

Reaction Score
I think her basic point is that the Big East, as a branded entity, has no little value as a football conference, and lots of value as a basketball conference. I think that's true even with these changes.

Agree with all of you she doesn't provide any alternative. ESPN doesn't want the BE to go away, it wants a strong BE basketball league with lots of hoops games, not tied to a football league they don't really want to pay to broadcast. I thought this piece was interesting to illuminate what ESPN really wants...they love BE basketball and don't want to sign up for BB football. So the ESPN take seems to be that they wanted the FB component to die or be spun off as a separate league (with a separate contract), so they can negotiate for the content where they see value, basketball.
The problem is that they have already damaged the basketball brand by encouraging the latest ACC raid of two of the bigger basketball names (at least if you believe DeFillipo). And by destabilizing the football side they risk even more damage to the supposedly valuable basketball brand. This new league is never, ever going to be UCONN_Syracuse, or UCONN-Pitt or Louisville-Syracuse in basketball. UCONN-SMU certainly isn't replacing them. Who knows, the football might actually be better. And NCAA rules make a seperate football league pretty much infeasible. They have to be under the auspices of somebody. And again, the Big East basketball league was successful because the league offered football, thus allowing teams like Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, UCONN, West Virginia, Cincinatti, all stalwarts of the basketball league, a place to play at the highest level. That ESPN and for that matter the basketball only schools never understood that is mind boggling.

Reaction Score
If basketball programs were stocks, I would be buying Houston and UCF and selling Butler. It's ironic that she refers to the Gavitt vision yet in the 80's when Gavitt was running the Big East Houston was a rock star team.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If basketball programs were stocks, I would be buying Houston and UCF and selling Butler. It's ironic that she refers to the Gavitt vision yet in the 80's when Gavitt was running the Big East Houston was a rock star team.

i would buy all the bcu stock i possibly could right now.

Reaction Score
She's a stupid.

I've read nonsense from that nitwit and the Sporting News' eunich, DeCourcey, and they simply cannot get their minds around the fact that the Big East simply wants to keep the lights on right now. They didn't ask the ACC to pluck five teams and the Big 12 to take two and counting just so they could go grab the ultimate prize, San Diego State.

They're doing what they have to do to give their members a place to play football after the network that one of them works for orchestrated the destruction of the place they used to play football.

Honestly, a healthy percentage of the sports' media needs to take a bath with a toaster.

Well said. I love how the media degrades the Big East for their actions, while seemingly giving a pass to the theft by the ACC and the Big 12. They totally shift the focus from the blatant attempt by the other conferences to destroy the Big East, to one of whether the Big East "deserves" a BCS bid. I for one am glad that this came together. I truly believe that UCONN would never survive as a football independent and would be come irrelevant as a Non-AQ.

Marinara, while a little slow..., ok really slow to put a plan together, has pulled a Rabbit out of the hat, and help sustain the Big East!

Reaction Score
the tone of her article makes it seem like we kicked out Cuse, Pitt and WVU to add these teams. what an idiotic article. we played the hand we were dealt, it's not like this was our ultimate goal from the get go. she might as well make fun of penguins for not being able to fly

Reaction Score
Dana has become a bitter soul ever since her alma mater was proven to have a predator in its midst that coach JoPa turned a blind eye to. She has never dealt with it, and instead pens columns about what's wrong with the college game. If anyone is myopic it is she. This is just another cheap shot at a conference that can not get out of its own way. She gives no alternative, pays one self-serving paragraph to the "oh, by the way, these teams mentioned were poached by other leagues," and like every other hack writer continues to not look at the big picture, the real reason that the Big East, Big XII, and the ACC may become obsolete in the next few years.
Wear white, Dana, and talk about the purity and sanctity of your garbage school- Penn State.

Reaction Score
She's a stupid.

She has made the Big East blog unreadable. I rarely check it, and I always found it a must read when Bennett ran it. Might be the wrong Dana, but I still agree with what Fishy said above.

Reaction Score
What this writer failed to see is the fact that BE just created a made-for-TV conference that can have 4 back to back FB games on any given Saturday. This kind of option is huge for someone like NBC/Comcast who is looking for all day content in addition to their ND game. The new conference will be made for TV and there will be some interesting match ups. In addition, all the teams added would create some interesting rivalry games.

That's overselling it. It's not exactly made for TV if no one wants to watch the games in questions. Let's be fair, are any of the remaining teams actual TV draws? Maybe Boise State....

And sure the conference spans several time zones. But it's only a three hour difference from East (UConn) to West (San Diego State). And if SDSU is on the road, then you lose one time zone. You act like other conferences cannot have early afternoon, late afternoon, and night games. They can and do. So that's not meaning much either...

I tend to agree with the premise of the article. The Big East is no longer a basketball conference and has become a Frankenstein conference to try and hang on to football relevancy. But I also agree with the criticism that there was no real good alternative. So basketball is sacrificed for football. Unless the Catholic schools break off, it will continue to remain that way.

Reaction Score
Well said. I love how the media degrades the Big East for their actions, while seemingly giving a pass to the theft by the ACC and the Big 12. They totally shift the focus from the blatant attempt by the other conferences to destroy the Big East, to one of whether the Big East "deserves" a BCS bid. I for one am glad that this came together.

Sounds a bit too conspiracy theory for me. I'm sure the other conferences did all this in a convoluted scheme to bring down the Big East instead of, you know, wanting to help their own Conference.

Just like the SEC adding Missouri was not about adding a 14th member but an attempt to destory the Big 12. And how the Pac-12 added Utah simply to destroy the Mountain West and Boise State football, not because it needed a 12th member.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
She has made the Big East blog unreadable. I rarely check it, and I always found it a must read when Bennett ran it. Might be the wrong Dana, but I still agree with what Fishy said above.
Erm. Right Sex. Wrong name. Neither very readable. (Andrea Adelson runs the blog)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom