If you were Muffet | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If you were Muffet

Reaction Score
We will have our answer in 12 hours. I think we see a lot more Z tonight especially if Crystal Dangerfield isn't lighting it up like she did the other night. I think the "big" line up of Kia-Lou-Gabby-Collier-Z line up could be problematic for ND.

Reaction Score
This. This is the very narrow path ND has to winning.

And then you hope that Mabry and Ogum are hot from the outside.
While these are all interesting tactics, if ND is hot from outside the game will be a toss up.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
On Friday evening, I respectfully submit that the Irish will have to:

- start off scoring with the Huskies from the get go, particularly from range. In games against UConn away from home, Marina Mabrey does this, often carrying the Irish until Arike Ogunbowale and/or Jackie Young gets in gear. Irish cannot afford to fall behind like they did against Texas A&M. "We're not in Spokane, anymore Toto..." If the shots are falling early, everyone gets confidence.
- be careful with the ball. S. Carolina's turnovers against UConn were like giving mulligans to Tiger Woods in his prime. Once again, that's primarily on Mabrey as the de facto "lead" guard, but also Jackie Young (no cross-court passes, Jackie!) and Kat Westbeld's entry passes from the foul line/elbow.
- battle the Huskies on 50-50s. In rebounding, put butts on bodies and cut down on UConn's second chances. That also allows the Irish to get into transition, which we do awfully well. On the offensive side, battle hard...might get some put-backs and, even if not successful, can slow down UConn's breaks, which are just as fearsome.

On loose balls, tough task because I feel like the Huskies are a team of triathletes and while the Irish are in much better shape than some think, no one is going to accuse Shep or Koko Nelson of running long distances and Kat Westbeld probably couldn't now with her ankle injuries. But just don't give up on the situations. This will fall primarily to Young, Ogunbowale and ...who else...Mabrey.

- On defense, It's a bit of a quandry. Would like to go man on your guards, but UConn's bigs -- be it as it may with some -- are so much quicker than the Irish bigs (see comment above). Maybe a bit of both zone and man. If Irish go man, I could see Marina put on Samuelson; renewing a match-up that started at the McDonald's game.

- Keep the intensity up and keep it close. Try to get the Huskies thinking (more than) a bit.

Lot of this feels like normal, common-sensical which I admit it is. But that's what the Irish have to do to eliminate the "little" things from adding up: a box-out missed here, a sec late for a missed ball that leads to a lay up there. Make an extra pass to free up Mabrey for a 3. Have Jackie slip a box out for a put-back there.

Proud of the Irish all season and in this tourney. Admire UConn's performance this season. Let's play ball!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn will attack Notre Dame in the paint as they have the past few years, including when Turner played. UConn has felt it has the advantage there and I don't see them thinking differently heading in to this game. Notre Dame has been playing zone mostly (3-2 and occasional 1-3-1), but has switched to occasional man in the tournament. I'm sure Muffet has some junk options available depending on how things are going. Muffet said last year that Young was the only Irish player she thought could defend Samuelson so I suspect that'll be the match-up if ND plays man. UConn will get plenty of good shots; they just have to make them.

Shepard is a more skilled offensive player than Turner so her presence makes ND even more difficult to defend. UConn plays primarily a switching man defense but will play more zone with Z on the court. Should be an interesting chess match.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Young would probably guard Samuelson.
If Dangerfield beats you from the outside, you just tip your hat.
Shepard, Westbeld, Mabrey can take away the paint. Williams hasn't been able to consistently make a 15 foot jump shot for 4 years.
Shepard and Westbeld both are taller than any of the UConn starters. Yes, it did
SC is not even close to being as good a team as ND is!
I see what you did there "starters"...well, Gabby sat out the second half with a migraine, so Z and Pheesa started the second half, so who is taller and they scored 17 and 15 points respectively so I guess the size of of ND prevented them from scoring 20 or 30 points.

But hey, these are opinions on what Muffett will do so any plan is going to work in the mind of the beholder...I am looking forward to the game, Mabrey's whining, and ND getting all the calls...because as everyone knows, they have been dealt such a bad hand this season with the 4 ACLs! Can't tell me that isn't a factor in their games.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Unless I missed it, I'm surprised no one has posted an angst poll.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom