If you were AD Dave, what would you do... ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If you were AD Dave, what would you do... ?

Reaction Score
Any Conversation about Kevin Ollie that doesn't acknowledge that it's going to be hard to get an exciting replacement for him if/when the time comes isn't really based in reality.

Reaction Score
Any Conversation about Kevin Ollie that doesn't acknowledge that it's going to be hard to get an exciting replacement for him if/when the time comes isn't really based in reality.
Who said it would be easy?

Difficult =/= impossible.

Reaction Score
Thsts a great point ,given the conference situation who would come? A screwing over a guy who won a NC
We got JC because we were close to Boston and probably his last chance to get on a big stage. He was rejected by BC . Thst left only PC and us I believe they had Pitino.
The cure is to have a great 2017-18 but even then the narrative will switch back to KO going to the NBA

Reaction Score
Thsts a great point ,given the conference situation who would come? A screwing over a guy who won a NC
We got JC because we were close to Boston and probably his last chance to get on a big stage. He was rejected by BC . Thst left only PC and us I believe they had Pitino.
The cure is to have a great 2017-18 but even then the narrative will switch back to KO going to the NBA
That's not at all true about Calhoun and it wouldn't be screwing over Ollie if he doesn't produce. He was handpicked by Calhoun with zero head-coaching experience and only a few years as an assistant. At this level it's produce or you're shown the door. The championship was awesome but he's made a real mess of things lately and needs to turn it around in a hurry.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Team needs rebounding and interior players who can defend and are at least a threat to score.

Get a couple of those and we are fine.

Reaction Score
You can be sure DB has spoken to JC, just like he talked to Edsall long before firing Diaco. JC knows what the problems are. We need better players.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Here is your answer:

List the last 4 national champions, then go take a nap.

Reaction Score
That's not at all true about Calhoun and it wouldn't be screwing over Ollie if he doesn't produce. He was handpicked by Calhoun with zero head-coaching experience and only a few years as an assistant. At this level it's produce or you're shown the door. The championship was awesome but he's made a real mess of things lately and needs to turn it around in a hurry.

People like you are the problem.

Reaction Score
How so? Is @superjohn responsible for the recruiting? the transfers? the wins/losses? The collapse of the Big East?

Are any of us?

Or do you just need to blame anyone to make yourself feel better about the current situation?

Pretty ironic to be lectured about reality by one poster, while another claims fans are the problem.

Reaction Score
Having three rotational players (frontcourt players) transfer leaving us with zero returning frontcourt players isn't a problem? Having our top recruit renege on his commitment leaving us with zero top 100 recruits isn't a problem? Having only two returning healthy players from last season isn't a problem?

Pointing out what's going on with the program isn't a problem. No nothing fans like you who have their head in the sand also isn't the problem but if your willfully ignorant to what's going on with the program you shouldn't consider yourself a fan.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Such strong emotions on this. I'll be more dispassionate, because I think we have to be.
  • He coached to a NC. That means something.
  • He signed a $17.9M deal last year. He's under contract until 2021. We can't afford to fire him if we wanted to.
  • He had no head coaching experience when he was hired, and only a brief stint as an assistant. In my view, he wasn't ready for a job of this magnitude and it shows.
  • His staff was essentially Calhoun holdovers and former players. He seems to have recognized that he needs his own guys.
  • This season involved both lousy coaching and preparation and horrible luck and injuries.
  • The program is on a downward trend that continued into this offseason.
  • Time is of the essence. We need an NCAA bid and top 25 ranking next year. Full stop. It is what UConn needs to remain in the conversation of major programs and to recruit going forward.
Net it out. We can't fire him until 2020 at soonest. Three years. If we even want to fire him then, we must be in poop so deep that it would take a miracle hire to get us out of it. It is vital that basketball is hitting on all cylinders and football is respectable in the early 2020's as realignment kicks off again. So if I'm AD Dave I give him every thing he needs to win. If that means dropping academic standards here or there, we do it. I also convey to him that we can't play the long game here. This is a win now situation.

So far I see this. A new assistant with a strong recruiting rep. A focus on bringing in experienced players for 2017-18, so far a JUCO and a defense minded SG. But there are others on the radar, more so than freshmen. I think the reason is obvious. Adams, Gilbert, Larrier are very good players, and we can win now if they are surrounded by complimentary guys who know how to play D, rebound and do the little things that make you win games. Work for a strong class in 2018 and we are back. It's the only recipe we have.

Reaction Score
Such strong emotions on this. I'll be more dispassionate, because I think we have to be.
  • He coached to a NC. That means something.
  • He signed a $17.9M deal last year. He's under contract until 2021. We can't afford to fire him if we wanted to.
  • He had no head coaching experience when he was hired, and only a brief stint as an assistant. In my view, he wasn't ready for a job of this magnitude and it shows.
  • His staff was essentially Calhoun holdovers and former players. He seems to have recognized that he needs his own guys.
  • This season involved both lousy coaching and preparation and horrible luck and injuries.
  • The program is on a downward trend that continued into this offseason.
  • Time is of the essence. We need an NCAA bid and top 25 ranking next year. Full stop. It is what UConn needs to remain in the conversation of major programs and to recruit going forward.
Net it out. We can't fire him until 2020 at soonest. Three years. If we even want to fire him then, we must be in poop so deep that it would take a miracle hire to get us out of it. It is vital that basketball is hitting on all cylinders and football is respectable in the early 2020's as realignment kicks off again. So if I'm AD Dave I give him every thing he needs to win. If that means dropping academic standards here or there, we do it. I also convey to him that we can't play the long game here. This is a win now situation.

So far I see this. A new assistant with a strong recruiting rep. A focus on bringing in experienced players for 2017-18, so far a JUCO and a defense minded SG. But there are others on the radar, more so than freshmen. I think the reason is obvious. Adams, Gilbert, Larrier are very good players, and we can win now if they are surrounded by complimentary guys who know how to play D, rebound and do the little things that make you win games. Work for a strong class in 2018 and we are back. It's the only recipe we have.
Are you sure about the details of the contract and all the contractual clauses? From my understanding if we have another season like this year his seat will be scorching hot.

Reaction Score
For the record, I don't want Benedict to have to do anything but continue to build a path to P5 status. I want Ollie to succeed as much as anyone else. But he has to do better, or he will not deserve the job he has. It's not personal. Candidly, I'm sure he'd admit he expects more from himself and the program.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are you sure about the details of the contract and all the contractual clauses? From my understanding if we have another season like this year his seat will be scorching hot.

Looks like we only pay him $600k if he is fired. So that isn't a big factor.

Reaction Score

Offer 3 million a year, they'll have options. Screwing over, come on. Asking to be a winning team in the AAC is too much to ask for??? Last few years Temple, Houston, SMU, and Cincy have passed UConn by as better teams.

Ollie currently only has two things going for him, a NC ring and a huge contract that I'm sure they wish they could take back. Reality, I know hes not going anywhere for at least three years regardless of how much he under performs.

Reaction Score
I tend to give ollie some rope because of his injury plagued his team, I mean were people expecting a tourney team with what was trotted out there? Year before he won an NCAA tourney game. As far as the transfers , it's not like the best player transfered, maybe even his two best depending on how you view Gilbert. I expect he'll be in the tourney if he has all his players .

I would probably grade KO's first four years as a HC an A-/B+, he had one bad year and over achieved in the other three. Right now he's solidly in the B territory, I don't get the hot seat talk. This is a conversation for next summer IMO.

Reaction Score
Having three rotational players (frontcourt players) transfer leaving us with zero returning frontcourt players isn't a problem? Having our top recruit renege on his commitment leaving us with zero top 100 recruits isn't a problem? Having only two returning healthy players from last season isn't a problem?

Pointing out what's going on with the program isn't a problem. No nothing fans like you who have their head in the sand also isn't the problem but if your willfully ignorant to what's going on with the program you shouldn't consider yourself a fan.

Here's the deal on the transfers. IF everyone remained healthy and all of these "transfers" had even less time due to better players than them getting more PT then what would everyone be up in arms for? because if all of our guys were healthy and they won 20-22 games and made the tourney those same guys were leaving anyway. No win situations with these kids sj, leave it alone they had their own issues to which they are dealing with their way!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Here's the deal on the transfers. IF everyone remained healthy and all of these "transfers" had even less time due to better players than them getting more PT then what would everyone be up in arms for? because if all of our guys were healthy and they won 20-22 games and made the tourney those same guys were leaving anyway. No win situations with these kids sj, leave it alone they had their own issues to which they are dealing with their way!

Only guessing, but that's what we do here. Enoch wanted to play more this year. Ollie wanted more D. He could have started in 17/18. Now he'll workout Pitinos crew in practices & deal with more playing time issues down the road. There's always somebody who wants your spot Steve.

MAL thought Jalen was leaving. Connection to Miller. Cooley gets in his ear.

Vance/dad. What can you do?

But Durham, who I really rooted hard for as a fan, owed Ollie more. Ollie kept him, rehabbed him, & got nothing in return. Just my observation.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Drown my sorrows in cheap win and cheap women. Suddenly college basketball won't seem as important.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You're not serious? Celebrate winning when it happens - APR celebrations are for losing teams.
APR losing is for teams heading down the probation road
Been there done that
I think the 100% is worth celebrating - too bad your idol JC didn't attain that level - some of the programs issue stem from things that did happen before KO took the wheel.
Before you say something stupid - you know I love JC and consider him the best coach in the last 50 years but he really didn't like to keep the operations drawer clean

Reaction Score
I tend to give ollie some rope because of his injury plagued his team, I mean were people expecting a tourney team with what was trotted out there? Year before he won an NCAA tourney game. As far as the transfers , it's not like the best player transfered, maybe even his two best depending on how you view Gilbert. I expect he'll be in the tourney if he has all his players .

I would probably grade KO's first four years as a HC an A-/B+, he had one bad year and over achieved in the other three. Right now he's solidly in the B territory, I don't get the hot seat talk. This is a conversation for next summer IMO.
One bad year and overachieved in the others? His best regular season was his first year with the bull APR ban. He kept them focused all year and they played with passion from the opening game until the last which was really impressive considering the postseason bans. His following regular season was just OK considering the talent we had and the league we play in but what he did in the tournament was amazing/historic. Since then it's two disappointing seasons and a disaster of a season followed by half the team leaving for other schools. He has had 5 seasons as head coach, first two good and next three pretty bad to worse.

I wouldn't feel so negative about things if you could see an upward trajectory but everything is going in the wrong direction right now.

I don't understand why so many people are assuming we are a tournament team next season? We return two healthy players who have played a full season, no returning frontcourt talent and a weak recruiting class. Gilbert is really good but is coming off two major shoulder injuries and only a couple of games as a college player, Larrier has talent but basically hasn't played games in a couple of years. If Jalen has a Kemba like junior year, Gilbert and Larrier are injury free and play like studs, we grab another good guard and two post players who can rebound and defend then we would/should have a good season. It's also asking a whole lot to break right. If Jalen and Larrier leave after another subpar season it will be frightening to think what our team and recruiting will look like.

Rooting like hell for Ollie to turn things around but he has a mess on his hands. Some posters here don't seem to want to recognize the reality of the situation. I also wish it was different but pretending things are fine won't make the reality of the situation go away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom