If you were a Point Guard why would you want to play in Hurley's offense? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

If you were a Point Guard why would you want to play in Hurley's offense?

Reaction Score
It's interesting how all the guards Hurley recruited have now all left the program. Do you think it's because the offense Hurley runs is not fun to play in with no spacing and little room to operate?
Or maybe during their very short time in college they might actually want to win a game or two in mid March.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The NBA is an offense-driven league. We aren't the most favorable place for players to showcase their skillset. Hurley really has to get with the times or this is going to get from bad to worse.
I'd say that's actually wrong. Defense is what sets apart the best players in the NBA. Guys who are just shooters may carve out bench roles. If you can't defend, you won't stick. A kid like Hawkins is just one of dozens of shooters. If he can become a defensive force, then he stands out.

Reaction Score
I'd say that's actually wrong. Defense is what sets apart the best players in the NBA. Guys who are just shooters may carve out bench roles. If you can't defend, you won't stick. A kid like Hawkins is just one of dozens of shooters. If he can become a defensive force, then he stands out.
Have you actually watched an NBA game this year? Nobody plays defense

Reaction Score
If you were an elite Point Guard why would you want to come to play at UConn with the offense that Hurley currently runs?

I have my own opinions, but I would like to hear other peoples thoughts
My opinion is you should probably come prepared with relevant talking points before making such a stupid take on this board again.

Reaction Score
My opinion is you should probably come prepared with relevant talking points before making such a stupid take on this board again.
You are clearly feeling a little emotional and maybe a little triggered and missed the whole point of the post.

Other schools do a better job of spacing the floor putting their players in positions to take advantage of their strengths and do a better job of exploiting mismatches. Our team has been struggling to score for the last few years and has been almost painful to watch at times.

I was asking what specifically about Hurley's offense will attract top guards to want to play here and showcase their talents and was looking to hear the opinion of others.

It looks like you have nothing productive to add here specifically about Hurley's offense

Reaction Score
You are clearly feeling a little emotional and maybe a little triggered and missed the whole point of the post.

Other schools do a better job of spacing the floor putting their players in positions to take advantage of their strengths and do a better job of exploiting mismatches. Our team has been struggling to score for the last few years and has been almost painful to watch at times.

I was asking what specifically about Hurley's offense will attract top guards to want to play here and showcase their talents and was looking to hear the opinion of others.

It looks like you have nothing productive to add here specifically about Hurley's offense
Our best players every single year under Hurley have been guards. Vital/Adams in 2019, Vital/Bouknight in 2020, Bouknight/Cole in 2021, Cole again this year (along with Sanogo).

Now the offense does need to adapt and improve, and we've seen some shifts in that already with recruiting. But there's nothing to suggest guards won't want to play for him when we've been showcasing guards every year

Reaction Score
Looking at Jackson who is a 3 play the 1. He can’t get his own shot , penetrate or be a reliable threat from 3. He’s a small forward not a point guard. Point guards would be asking why he’s in that position. That said Jackson is a valuable passer, rebounder and should play a lot.

Reaction Score
The NBA is an offense-driven league. We aren't the most favorable place for players to showcase their skillset. Hurley really has to get with the times or this is going to get from bad to worse.
What?

The offense is good. Not hurley’s fault guys can’t dribble and shoot. Lol.

Reaction Score
What?

The offense is good. Not hurley’s fault guys can’t dribble and shoot. Lol.
It is actually very much his fault. He recruited the guys on the roster. He also chose to play with two bigs for majority of minutes in an era where most teams are playing four and five out.

Reaction Score
One of the more popular replies to the question is playing time. That’s a bit of a problem right there if it’s playing time meaning there’s no one else to play because they left or graduated or aren’t good enough. Now this portal may save our coach for the next few years but he’s got to plug the holes in his recruiting and his coaching so that this isn’t the answer every few years. I feel like we all want the same thing around here a program that works because we have a really good coach that players want to play for and stick around 2-3 yrs and compete for championships. If we have to continue to make wholesale cuts year after year and rely on the portal well I admit I am a bit of a crusader and I want us to do things the right way and build from within.

Reaction Score
One of the more popular replies to the question is playing time. That’s a bit of a problem right there if it’s playing time meaning there’s no one else to play because they left or graduated or aren’t good enough. Now this portal may save our coach for the next few years but he’s got to plug the holes in his recruiting and his coaching so that this isn’t the answer every few years. I feel like we all want the same thing around here a program that works because we have a really good coach that players want to play for and stick around 2-3 yrs and compete for championships. If we have to continue to make wholesale cuts year after year and rely on the portal well I admit I am a bit of a crusader and I want us to do things the right way and build from within.

I’m not sure how much attention you’ve been paying but if the rules don’t change this is going to be an every year thing for most programs. If kids can change schools and be immediately eligible they are going to be constantly seeking out the best opportunity and coaches are going to have to recruit their own roster every year. Get used to it.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Liked, because I get the point you’re making. Which isn’t the one made by the responses. It’s a close call on the offense. Cole’s success was more because of Cole than because of the offense design.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Looking at Jackson who is a 3 play the 1. He can’t get his own shot , penetrate or be a reliable threat from 3. He’s a small forward not a point guard. Point guards would be asking why he’s in that position. That said Jackson is a valuable passer, rebounder and should play a lot.
Am I the only one that remembers that when they came into the NBA Magic Johnson and Jason Kidd couldn’t shoot from outside? Ben Simmons still can’t shoot. In UConn history, we won a championship playing two PG that couldn‘t shoot side by side.

Yes, there are scoring point guards. Kemba was. Bazz was. Curry is. But it’s not a requirement if the other pieces are there. This year’s Celtics team took off when they traded away their scoring PG and gave the job to Smart.

Andre can absolutely be a PG on this team. My guess is that we won’t land another good one in the portal. It’s more likely we get a SG or wing. If Castle comes in, maybe he’s the backup PG. But for now, when Newton rests, you’d want to run AJ at 1, Hawk at 2, Karaban or transfer at 3. I’d rather the PG didn’t lead the team in scoring.

Reaction Score
Have you actually watched an NBA game this year? Nobody plays defense
Guess you haven’t watched the Celtics. The reason they have been the best team in the league for the last 3 months is that they play terrific defense.

Reaction Score
If you were an elite Point Guard why would you want to come to play at UConn with the offense that Hurley currently runs?

I have my own opinions, but I would like to hear other peoples thoughts
Because you can make first team all big east like R.J. Cole did…..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom