If you were a Point Guard why would you want to play in Hurley's offense? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If you were a Point Guard why would you want to play in Hurley's offense?

Reaction Score
1 - Hurley was a point guard.
2 - Hurley focuses on building the PG into the team leader (not just a player).
3 - Look at Cole's minutes and numbers.
4 - It's UConn.
Ironically though, the PG position has been the biggest positional weakness from a high school recruiting basis. I also think RJ was a fairly finished product when he came here. We’ve gotten essentially zero production from the PG position other than Cole. Fortunately though, a transfer will see Cole’s success here and be sold that this a good place to play PG. Have to imagine something has been in the works and we’ll have one or two guards soon. I can’t see the staff jettisoning out the only two PGs with no assurance that anyone is coming in.

Reaction Score
We had 4 players who were not great at shooting off the dribble or driving to the hoop from the perimeter, Whaley, Polley, Jackson and Hawk. As the year went on Hawk was improving till his concussion and Polley made some attempts but overall we struggled with this and Akok also fits into this category. Watching Houston go 1-20 from 3 against UNC shows the problem with over reliance on the 3. Cole was our main guy to attack the basket from the perimeter. We had limitations on offense but we played the 4 out with what we had it seemed to me. The returning team is a great opportunity for a point to come in and have a big impact.

Reaction Score
If you were an elite Point Guard why would you want to come to play at UConn with the offense that Hurley currently runs?

I have my own opinions, but I would like to hear other peoples thoughts
Come on really??? PG is wide open for playing time. Our last PG was 1st team all BE and our leading scorer. To play in one of the best conference in the nation. Great talent around him....the list goes on and on

Reaction Score
Except according to Rivals we have the #23 rated player in the class coming in 2023. Is that good?
And we had a top 75 guy who couldn’t even get onto the court and transferred after one year. Does that speak highly for our PG development? My point wasn’t to say we haven’t recruited highly ranked PGs, it was to point out we’ve gotten zero or even less than average play from any high school PGs recruited by Hurley. Unless he’s a true troll, I took OP’s post as just a valid question to discuss, not get all defensive about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is odd. The offense design is good. They move the ball, they set screens, they have a low post option and 3 point shooters.

They also want to , allegedly, push the tempo. They run nba sets and everything .

Unless you count Adama Sanogo and post play as a negative factor, I do t know where this is coming from .

Hurley runs very good offense. The designs are good.
I don't think @bblanco15 was asking a rhetorical question. He was just surveying the yard. He even qualified "I have my opinions" which usually means that he is withholding them.

Reaction Score
And we had a top 75 guy who couldn’t even get onto the court and transferred after one year. Does that speak highly for our PG development?

Speaks highly about RJ Cole's development who came from a mid major and Hurley turned him into an all big east 1st team point guard. Is that good development or no?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think that prospect of playing alongside a dynamic, unique athlete like Andre--including the give-and-go and alley oop potential--would be pretty attractive; as would having a KAJ Center of the Year award candidate to feed down low.

And having a player of Hawkins's potential on the wing.

As many minutes available as I can earn? Sign me up, please.

I realize that players of Remy Martin's caliber are more the exception than the rule with the portal, but can you imagine for a minute what he would be like in this system?

But @Fishy 's point about the discount aisle is a valid concern. There are a lot of misfit toys out there. We could never have taken a Teddy Allen, for example.

It's borderline criminal we didn't run more back door alley oops for Jackson. For two years we were able to do them for Bouknight and all of sudden we stopped trying.

Reaction Score
Speaks highly about RJ Cole's development who came from a mid major and Hurley turned him into an all big east 1st team point guard. Is that good development or no?
So despite being a stud at a mid major, it’s a given that he still had to be developed significantly to be a bigtime BE guard? There’s no way to measure that whatsoever. He was 21, strong and polished when he started here.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If we are being honest, Cole was already pretty much at that level when he arrived. He had over 1500 points at Howard and averaged 6 assists there. Given those numbers, it wasn't surprising that he did real well here.

Not surprising -- I totally agree -- but also not guaranteed, either. You never know what you're going to get from a mid-major transfer.

I may be forgetting somebody, but of all the guys who have transferred "up" to UConn, it seems like he and Martin did the best.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why we don't have a hundred plays designed to free AJax for alley-oops or breakaway dunks.
It was hard to design those plays with 3 defenders standing in the paint. I'd expect to see a lot more next year

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not surprising -- I totally agree -- but also not guaranteed, either. You never know what you're going to get from a mid-major transfer.

I may be forgetting somebody, but of all the guys who have transferred "up" to UConn, it seems like he and Martin did the best.
Shonn Miller did ight, too.

Reaction Score

We agree. But Cole wasn't your ordinary mid-major transfer. He was a conference player of the year who had scored 1500 points and averaged 6 assists both previous years. Plus he already had pretty good games against some P5 teams previously. The odds were pretty good that he would do well here.

In addition to Cole and Martin, I would add Shonn Miller as a quality transfer...and Kromah, a GW transfer, was an important piece of the 2014 title run.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
It's really simple. The ball will be in the PGs hands the majority of the time and there is currently 40 mins a game to fill at that position. Say what you want about about the state of the program, but players want to play and the minutes are there. Not much selling has to be done here.

Reaction Score
So despite being a stud at a mid major, it’s a given that he still had to be developed significantly to be a bigtime BE guard? There’s no way to measure that whatsoever. He was 21, strong and polished when he started here.

Do you think RJ was better in 2020-21 or 2021-22? That's called development. Thanks.

Reaction Score
The only reason for a PG not to come to UConn right now is the weather.
Ha. Hey they are people on the yard who seem to think that weather is a prime factor for kids (winters in fla. Blah blah) Remember the Florida vs. Uconn discussion a few weeks ago?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't understand why we don't have a hundred plays designed to free AJax for alley-oops or breakaway dunks.
We ran a ton of them for Akok his freshman year. We have several players, Johnson included, who would be hard to stop on those plays. I would say it's easier when your PG is taller. I can imagine AJax throwing a lot of those lobs for others.

Reaction Score
Do you think RJ was better in 2020-21 or 2021-22? That's called development. Thanks.
He was marginally better from a statistical standpoint in 2021-22 but the fact remains that he had over 1500 D1 points and over 400 D1 assists when he arrived at UConn. He wasn't a player that needed lots of "development" at UConn. Yes, he refined things a bit, but he was essentially the same player with a little more wisdom and savvy.

Reaction Score
Ha. Hey they are people on the yard who seem to think that weather is a prime factor for kids (winters in fla. Blah blah) Remember the Florida vs. Uconn discussion a few weeks ago?
I mean, I doubt it's a non-factor. A girl in a bikini is a pretty rare sight at UConn. Other schools, not so much.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We ran a ton of them for Akok his freshman year. We have several players, Johnson included, who would be hard to stop on those plays. I would say it's easier when your PG is taller. I can imagine AJax throwing a lot of those lobs for others.

You hit on a good point. In order to complete the alley oop you need someone who can make the pass with the right arc and height. I don't think UConn had any guards who could make that pass last season.

Reaction Score
He was marginally better from a statistical standpoint in 2021-22 but the fact remains that he had over 1500 D1 points and over 400 D1 assists when he arrived at UConn. He wasn't a player that needed lots of "development" at UConn. Yes, he refined things a bit, but he was essentially the same player with a little more wisdom and savvy.
You can bend the truth to support your narrative but you’re just embarrassing yourself.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score

I would rather see a back screen and a lob to Jackson rather than Jackson throwing the lob which might end up being a behind the back bullet to the upper decks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom