If you wanted Kiffin.. | The Boneyard

If you wanted Kiffin..

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bahhahahahahahaha

Odd how USC got so much better without him.

Reaction Score
Especially under Orgeron, who absolutely sucked as coach at Ole Miss. He was P level down at Ole Miss.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anyone who even dreams of hiring Kiffin, that was a one game resume for him.

Reaction Score
I've always liked Ken O' Keefe. A real class act. Ties to New England, good track record, great recruiter.

Reaction Score
Especially under Orgeron, who absolutely sucked as coach at Ole Miss. He was P level down at Ole Miss.

And his offensive line coach/run game coordinator in 2005 was? . . . . . . . G D L. He left after one wonderful season (116 of 119 in rushing offense 111 in total offense).

The fact Ed O is succeeding at USC is a great feel-good story. Unlike P he deserved a second chance. Great book by Bruce Feldman about college football recruiting (Meat Market) was basically a profile of Ed O. He was just way, way too fired up at Ole Miss -- from the first meeting, when legend has it he ripped off his shirt and challenged everyone to a fight. Then he hired GDL. He left a ton of talent behind at Ole Miss that UConn coaching candidate Houston Nutt was able to ride for a few years.

I hope USC keeps Ed O one, because he's earned it, and two, widens the playing field for UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Orgeron is a lights out recruiter. And he also worked for Pasqualoni at Syracuse. How bad was Pasqualoni as a recruiter? According to the book Meat Market, Pasqualoni never got it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dr. Lou suggested O as a candidate for UConn. I would take him as a consolation prize if none of the top choices wanted the job. His winning % is in the 30's.

Reaction Score
And his offensive line coach/run game coordinator in 2005 was? . . . . . . . G D L. He left after one wonderful season (116 of 119 in rushing offense 111 in total offense).

The fact Ed O is succeeding at USC is a great feel-good story. Unlike P he deserved a second chance. Great book by Bruce Feldman about college football recruiting (Meat Market) was basically a profile of Ed O. He was just way, way too fired up at Ole Miss -- from the first meeting, when legend has it he ripped off his shirt and challenged everyone to a fight. Then he hired GDL. He left a ton of talent behind at Ole Miss that UConn coaching candidate Houston Nutt was able to ride for a few years.

I hope USC keeps Ed O one, because he's earned it, and two, widens the playing field for UConn.
Why do you say unlike P, he deserved a second chance? He was atrocious at Ole Miss as a HC. Now, I hate that P got his second chance here, but it seems like an arbitrary thing to say. What or who determines meriting second chances? Just curious. Orgeron's run at Ole Miss was very similar to P's here in that he inherited a winning program from Cutcliffe and drove it into the ground.

More than anything I just don't want another old guy who would just be coming for the money. I want a guy who is hungry and driven to be successful.

Reaction Score
Orgeron is a lights out recruiter. And he also worked for Pasqualoni at Syracuse. How bad was Pasqualoni as a recruiter? According to the book Meat Market, Pasqualoni never got it.

This is 100% correct he always killed it on the recruiting trail. Kiffen is a disaster and was a piss poor hire at Tennessee and a worse one at USC.

Reaction Score
I listened to the new Syracuse HC's presser..

The Cuse aren't good right now...but he has a clear plan and I like the enthusiasm and the way he is going at it...He is all about picking up the recruiting..has recruiters assigned to Georgia, Virginia, Florida. He has identified going after more speed, and skill position athletes.

A young turk, like he is, could, with a great recruiting push, do worlds of good for UConn.

Reaction Score
Cause isn't that bad either. Not fair to judge them off yesterday. Against umd, on the road last week, they looked like a solid, touch team. Schafer looks like a solid hire.

Reaction Score
Why do you say unlike P, he deserved a second chance? He was atrocious at Ole Miss as a HC. Now, I hate that P got his second chance here, but it seems like an arbitrary thing to say. What or who determines meriting second chances? Just curious. Orgeron's run at Ole Miss was very similar to P's here in that he inherited a winning program from Cutcliffe and drove it into the ground.

More than anything I just don't want another old guy who would just be coming for the money. I want a guy who is hungry and driven to be successful.

Respectfully . .. . .Circumstances much different between P and O. First, P was clearly on a downward trajectory at 60-plus. Orgeron, generally accepted to be one of the nation's top recruiters, was only 44 when he got the Ole Miss job. Unlike P, he had a ton of energy -- his problem was harnessing it. Seems pretty obvious he has learned how. Now if Kiffin wasn't such an absolute disaster would Ed O have gotten a second chance somewhere else? Who knows? But he got it in the classic case of being in the right place at the right time and good for him he is capitalizing.

O didn't quite run Ole Miss into the ground. W-L wise, sure, it got bad. But he left a ton of good recruits behind (Oher, etc) for Nutt. In the running into ground category Houston might have the edge. I totally agree HN fits in the 'old guy for the money' category. Should UConn consider the other "deserves second chance" guys out there like Orgeron? Depends.

But give me Ed Orgeron the recruiter of 2005 mixed with the maturer but still intense Orgeron of today and I'll take it.

Reaction Score
Dr. Lou suggested O as a candidate for UConn. I would take him as a consolation prize if none of the top choices wanted the job. His winning % is in the 30's.

I love the fact Ed O is succeeding and would be 100 percent in favor of him coming here. The man is a walking marketing campaign. It's the dreaded "cultural fit" issue that might be his biggest hurdle. I could care less about that $$@$, but unfortunately too many of the nabobs on editorial boards do. Ed O actually seems to have a lot of Geno A. in him.

Reaction Score
I love the fact Ed O is succeeding and would be 100 percent in favor of him coming here. The man is a walking marketing campaign. It's the dreaded "cultural fit" issue that might be his biggest hurdle. I could care less about that @$, but unfortunately too many of the nabobs on editorial boards do. Ed O actually seems to have a lot of Geno A. in him.

Only one person on this board cares about the Cultural Fit. That was the same guy who said Sonny Dykes was a bad fit, and then the next week Cal-Berkeley hired him.

Reaction Score
The only reason to hire Kiffen is to see his wife in a school colors sundress. Since the weather in CT during most of the FB season is not conducive to sundresses, there is NO reason UConn should get within 1000 miles of Kiffen.

Reaction Score
Respectfully . .. . .Circumstances much different between P and O. First, P was clearly on a downward trajectory at 60-plus. Orgeron, generally accepted to be one of the nation's top recruiters, was only 44 when he got the Ole Miss job. Unlike P, he had a ton of energy -- his problem was harnessing it. Seems pretty obvious he has learned how. Now if Kiffin wasn't such an absolute disaster would Ed O have gotten a second chance somewhere else? Who knows? But he got it in the classic case of being in the right place at the right time and good for him he is capitalizing.

O didn't quite run Ole Miss into the ground. W-L wise, sure, it got bad. But he left a ton of good recruits behind (Oher, etc) for Nutt. In the running into ground category Houston might have the edge. I totally agree HN fits in the 'old guy for the money' category. Should UConn consider the other "deserves second chance" guys out there like Orgeron? Depends.

But give me Ed Orgeron the recruiter of 2005 mixed with the maturer but still intense Orgeron of today and I'll take it.
I agree about the age thing, but he was abysmal as a hc. It took a special circumstance to get a second chance. Sometimes great recruiters like Orgeron and Mike locksley are terrible head coaches. USC is riding a wave of emotion with great physical talent. I don't Want orgeron here anymore than I would want Locksley as hc. Just my opinion. If were going to go the assistant hc route, let's get Narduzzi, fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
I agree about the age thing, but he was abysmal as a hc. It took a special circumstance to get a second chance. Sometimes great recruiters like Orgeron and Mike locksley are terrible head coaches. USC is riding a wave of emotion with great physical talent. I don't Want orgeron here anymore than I would want Locksley as hc. Just my opinion. If were going to go the assistant hc route, let's get Narduzzi, fingers crossed.

agreed . . . Straight up Narduzzi a better choice. The flip side of the Orgeron thing is it a repeat of the WVU experience with Stewart. Team rides initial wave of emotion which fades, although Ed O seems to have more staying power.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I love the fact Ed O is succeeding and would be 100 percent in favor of him coming here. The man is a walking marketing campaign. It's the dreaded "cultural fit" issue that might be his biggest hurdle. I could care less about that @$, but unfortunately too many of the nabobs on editorial boards do. Ed O actually seems to have a lot of Geno A. in him.

Ed O at Uconn?? Dear lord no. There is a reason he has done so well recruiting at Tennessee, Miami, and USC. What do those schools have in common? You guessed it, they were all very supportive of his cash-based recruiting efforts. He is as dirty as they come.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I listened to the new Syracuse HC's presser..

The Cuse aren't good right now...but he has a clear plan and I like the enthusiasm and the way he is going at it...He is all about picking up the recruiting..has recruiters assigned to Georgia, Virginia, Florida. He has identified going after more speed, and skill position athletes.

A young turk, like he is, could, with a great recruiting push, do worlds of good for UConn.

This was supposed to be one of the.better SU teams of the past decade and they are still near the bottom of the conference. Recruiting won't noticeably pick up. Decent bowl games are their ceiling. Same goes for BC and any other private ACC school.

Once Boeheim retires it's over for BB too. They don't have a Kevin Ollie type and bar the door if the new coach prefers man to man. We're screwed but still better off long term.

Reaction Score
Ed O at Uconn?? Dear lord no. There is a reason he has done so well recruiting at Tennessee, Miami, and USC. What do those schools have in common? You guessed it, they were all very supportive of his cash-based recruiting efforts. He is as dirty as they come.

True as that may be, Ed O has been able to stay one step ahead of the NCAA sheriff. And go through the top 25 and you're not going to find many clean hands. This might be part of the "cultural fit" thing. Things that wouldn't raise an eyebrow elsewhere will be treated like major sins here.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
True as that may be, Ed O has been able to stay one step ahead of the NCAA sheriff. And go through the top 25 and you're not going to find many clean hands. This might be part of the "cultural fit" thing. Things that wouldn't raise an eyebrow elsewhere will be treated like major sins here.

He has stayed ahead of the NCAA because they go after the school and not the assistant coach. All 3 of those schools I listed were hit with NCAA penalties for recruiting practices while Orgeron was there. Add to that he has a history with cocaine and alcohol, as well as violence and I see him about as good a fit for UConn as the Mayor of Toronto. He has had restraining orders filed against him, has been arrested on bar fights, DUI, etc. The guy is truly a scumbag.

Houston Nutt was a bad cultural fit because of his accent. Orgeron is a bad cultural fit in reality.

Reaction Score
He has stayed ahead of the NCAA because they go after the school and not the assistant coach. All 3 of those schools I listed were hit with NCAA penalties for recruiting practices while Orgeron was there. Add to that he has a history with cocaine and alcohol, as well as violence and I see him about as good a fit for UConn as the Mayor of Toronto. He has had restraining orders filed against him, has been arrested on bar fights, DUI, etc. The guy is truly a scumbag.

Houston Nutt was a bad cultural fit because of his accent. Orgeron is a bad cultural fit in reality.

"Scumbag' is harsh, but the bad history cited is inarguable. However, a) he has been sober 10 years and b) NCAA hasn't hit him with the dreaded 'show cause'. If he ends up on the market after this season he will end up in a good place. On scumbag scale he's far far far behind Petrino.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Petrino is a scumbag to the utmost, but Ed O has hit a woman.

Starting in 1991, a series of personal problems began to affect his career at Miami: a Dade County woman filed a restraining order accusing him of repeated violence and in July 1992,

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I am sold.

When can he get here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member