If you make a little stretch for Kansas, it’s an all blue blood Final Four. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

If you make a little stretch for Kansas, it’s an all blue blood Final Four.

Reaction Score
Kansas is close enough
Although Springfield is the Birthplace Place of Basketball
Real intercollegiate Basketball was popularized by Kansas the mothership of the sport.Yes they are the original blue blood.
Naismith it’s inventor was their first coach
Adolph Rupp who popularized basketball to the Southeast ,making KY into a power played there.
UNC was actually late to the party and a beneficiary of the
gambling scandals that almost killed NE basketball. . In 1956 a NYC coach named McGuire ( not AL) and a team loaded with NYC kids who a few years earlier would have gone to CCNY won UNC’s first NC. Ironically they beat powerhouse Kansas and Wilt in a huge upset. Making the sport popular in that state. I listened to that game. Wilt was thought unstoppable by mere mortals.
UNC on the road to that win was not impressive trailing in almost every game including against Yale. The ACC had minimal basketball credentials prior to that.

Reaction Score
At this point I mostly care about Duke not winning.

After that I guess I'm rooting for Nova, but Justin Moore's injury really takes the wind out of those sails.
Uggh! I had a dream a couple weeks ago they won it all. I hope i jinxed them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Although Springfield is the Birthplace Place of Basketball
Real intercollegiate Basketball was popularized by Kansas the mothership of the sport.Yes they are the original blue blood.
Naismith it’s inventor was their first coach
Adolph Rupp who popularized basketball to the Southeast ,making KY into a power played there.
UNC was actually late to the party and a beneficiary of the
gambling scandals that almost killed NE basketball. . In 1956 a NYC coach named McGuire ( not AL) and a team loaded with NYC kids who a few years earlier would have gone to CCNY won UNC’s first NC. Ironically they beat powerhouse Kansas and Wilt in a huge upset. Making the sport popular in that state. I listened to that game. Wilt was thought unstoppable by mere mortals.
UNC on the road to that win was not impressive trailing in almost every game including against Yale. The ACC had minimal basketball credentials prior to that.
Dean Smith was from Emporia, KS and played at KU on the 52 championship team. Coached UNC from 61-97.

Reaction Score
The 4 blue bloods are Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and UNC.
Villanova, UConn, MSU and Arizona are in my tier 2 blue bloods.
and the historical honorable mentions are UCLA and Indiana.
John Wooden is HM? Oops, just saw the Cuse in your name. Surprised you didn’t include them too.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
As cringe-inducing as this year’s F4 is, it’s a pretty obvious UNC or bust this year. Nobody likes Duke and we want to keep that 1 title lead on Nova and Kansas.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
As cringe-inducing as this year’s F4 is, it’s a pretty obvious UNC or bust this year. Nobody likes Duke and we want to keep that 1 title lead on Nova and Kansas.

See that’s an interesting take, and I agree. I also like UNC more than Duke and KU basically always. But this year I feel like KU or Nova are the teams I’d rather root for, and it’s tough to explain why.

I guess Nova overall would be my normal rooting interest, but 3 titles in like 6-7 years puts them in real “top program” status and that gets dangerous for UConn fans.

Reaction Score
The 4 blue bloods are Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and UNC.
Villanova, UConn, MSU and Arizona are in my tier 2 blue bloods.
and the historical honorable mentions are UCLA and Indiana.
What’s a blue blood if not tied directly to historical accomplishments?

It’s Kansas, Kentucky, UNC, Indiana, UCLA, and Duke. Duke is the outlier having won all their titles under one coach, but they’ve been to the title game under 3 different coaches stretching 6 decades.

Reaction Score

1. 2022: North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Villanova

Sure, having UCLA or Kentucky in the mix here could increase the group's collective total of national titles. But each of these four have cut down the nets at some point since 2008. In fact, no one outside this group won the national title between 2015 and 2018. Additionally, between 2008 and 2018, each of these four teams won at least one national championship, and collectively the group combined for seven titles over that span. The only program in this Final Four whose blue blood status is debatable is Villanova. While two of the Wildcats' three national titles have come under Jay Wright in recent years (2016 and 2018), they were no pushovers before his arrival. Villanova made three Final Four appearances before Wright's tenure and won it all under Rollie Massimino in 1985. As a No. 8 seed, that team is still the worst-seeded team to ever win it all. Wright has certainly taken the program to new heights in his 21 seasons, but Villanova is more than a one-coach wonder.

Reaction Score
Duke was 10th in the conference for 2020-21....

Quite a decent coaching job bringing the Blue Devils from 10th in the ACC to the Final Four..one season later

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Who cares about "Blue Blood"? Some media coined expression anyhow. Indiana is Blue Blood for Heaven's sake.

Does anyone really care about pre Big East? When a handful of teams controlled the henhouse much like the Women's game today?

I love blue collar programs. I think Nova most resembles ours. I think Jay Wright does more with less

Go Wildcats, bring it home.

Will be fun to see the Beast win both basketball titles

Reaction Score
Kansas is close enough
Kansas certainly is a blue blood, decades of success. Our national prominence didn't occur until Calhoun's success. The late Ollie years and the current Hurley years have not been consistent enough from a national perspective. The 4 NC's are unbelievable in the time frame, but overall dominance for decades is not there.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
This is the worst Final 4 ever from my fandom standpoint. Can all these teams just lose and leave a vacant Championship? That's what I am hoping for.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Kansas will need to vacate

Reaction Score
Who cares about "Blue Blood"? Some media coined expression anyhow. Indiana is Blue Blood for Heaven's sake.

Does anyone really care about pre Big East? When a handful of teams controlled the henhouse much like the Women's game today?

I love blue collar programs. I think Nova most resembles ours. I think Jay Wright does more with less

I think they will, I really don’t see anyone beating Nova at this point.

Reaction Score

Well, that didn’t age well either. Oh, and its the NEWBIE or the NOOB for short. The BEAST ended in 2013.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
What didn't age? Nothing changes, and I don't like your acronyms either :)

Reaction Score
How’s this aging for you?
I’m rooting for the Jayhawks Monday, and if they win they will have 3 titles in the modern era, 88, 08, and 22, and they will officially join Nova and UConn in the Blue Blood club.

Reaction Score
I’m rooting for the Jayhawks Monday, and if they win they will have 3 titles in the modern era, 88, 08, and 22, and they will officially join Nova and UConn in the Blue Blood club.
You aren’t in OUR club yet. We have 4

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom