If you could ask Geno anything, what would you ask? | The Boneyard

If you could ask Geno anything, what would you ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Imagine you're in a charity event, a fan appreciation gathering, whatever, in which Geno will participate in photo ops, sign autographs, etc. Imagine also that Geno is gracious enough to talk to anyone who approaches him and answer honestly and fully virtually any question you ask him. If given that situation, what would you ask him?

I think this could be an interesting thread, but I have one question I've often wondered idly:

"Coach, you have been on the record stating that you took the UConn job in 1985 with the notion of using it as a stepping stone to somewhere better at the time. Certainly, by 1991, you'd moved UConn forward in a number of ways, including a regular appearance in the NCAA Tourney and a trip to the Final Four. Given that, were you heavily recruited around that time for other head coaching jobs at other programs? And assuming you were, what inspired you to stay in Storrs?"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
"Would you consider coaching at UCONN forever?"

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What really happened in Moscow!:eek::confused::)

Really:
1. Not for public consumption - what do you really think about coaching women vs. men, and how do you think you stack up to the men's legends?
2. What do you really think about Pat as a coach (not as a recruiter or pioneer?)
3. Which players you coached were your biggest failures as a coach, and why?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Here's another thought:

Until winning the national championship in 2013, you had been calling that season your worst coaching job ever. But since you won the NC, which season actually was your worst ever? And what is the season of which you are most proud?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I would have to ask what he likes and dislikes most about several coaches, including Pat and CVS, but a few others as well.

Reaction Score
If no one was around that could get offended....

From all the players you coached over the years, pick 12 to be on one team, but not based on talent rather based on personality?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Imagine you're in a charity event, a fan appreciation gathering, whatever, in which Geno will participate in photo ops, sign autographs, etc. Imagine also that Geno is gracious enough to talk to anyone who approaches him and answer honestly and fully virtually any question you ask him. If given that situation, what would you ask him?

I think this could be an interesting thread, but I have one question I've often wondered idly:

"Coach, you have been on the record stating that you took the UConn job in 1985 with the notion of using it as a stepping stone to somewhere better at the time. Certainly, by 1991, you'd moved UConn forward in a number of ways, including a regular appearance in the NCAA Tourney and a trip to the Final Four. Given that, were you heavily recruited around that time for other head coaching jobs at other programs? And assuming you were, what inspired you to stay in Storrs?"
Alexrgct, both Geno and Kathy answered this question on the Geno project. Wish I could find the clip. Paraphrasing: Both came to UCONN in '85 with the intention of doing good and moving on to a better job. All of a sudden there was some success (probably by '91) and his job at UCONN became the job he was hoping to move on to. So there was no longer a need to leave UCONN because he already had The Job.

Reaction Score
What conference would you have preferred UConn to join if the AAC was not an option?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Coach, when your family came from Italy, did they take any Caravaggios, Raphaels, Leonardos or Botticellis with them?
Where did you hide the paintings? Are they for sale at a decent price?

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
What will it take to get you to coach until you are 80?

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I, too, would like to know what happened in Moscow. Short of that...

What did Michelle Snow say to you in the 2000 championship game?

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
I would ask him,and promise it is between him and me,who was his all rime favorite player as a person and player.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
who was his all rime favorite player as a person and player.

Simple:
Mooing...
I thought they were
Booing...

As for my question, there have been discussions/allegations about some of his early recruiting tactics - would he care to clarify

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Alexrgct, both Geno and Kathy answered this question on the Geno project. Wish I could find the clip. Paraphrasing: Both came to UCONN in '85 with the intention of doing good and moving on to a better job. All of a sudden there was some success (probably by '91) and his job at UCONN became the job he was hoping to move on to. So there was no longer a need to leave UCONN because he already had The Job.

I must've missed it, but that's an interesting position to have. uConn by 1991 was certainly on the rise, but was it really THE Jon before 1995? Did Geno think that with the surge of his team with Bacsom, with Gampel opening up, and with Rebecca headed to Storrs, that everything was coming together? I'd love to chat with him about this subject.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I must've missed it, but that's an interesting position to have. uConn by 1991 was certainly on the rise, but was it really THE Jon before 1995? Did Geno think that with the surge of his team with Bacsom, with Gampel opening up, and with Rebecca headed to Storrs, that everything was coming together? I'd love to chat with him about this subject.
1994 they came very close to the BIG one

Reaction Score
Coach, what are your thoughts about the concept of Donald Trump being elected President of the United States?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If the executive body of the NCAA gave you the authority (and would endorse it without question) to change 1 rule in WCBB, what would it be? And why?

Reaction Score

I have a little devil in me that would love to ask about Charde Houston and her time in Storrs. Geno talks at length about many things, but Charde isn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom