IF you care about uconn ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

IF you care about uconn ...

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Matt just minding his business and gets assaulted by the CJS87 shakedown machine.
I say go McLovin' on his a...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If I told YOU how to spend your money I would tell you to purchase a brain. Or if you can't aford a brain then just cut your tongue off which would present stupidity from coming out of your mouth.
This is a message board. Lot of good cutting out his tongue will do when most here know Matt only through his written words...or Twitter short hand.

Reaction Score
I generously donated well over $100k to UConn from 2008 to 2012. I'm good on giving UConn my money for a while.

Reaction Score
Where does the money go? UConn already burned me and my entire graduating class of 2006. Our class donation/project was a lie and never existed and the money disappeared after promises were made. I followed up on this last year with phone calls to the appropriate people and was blown off after acknowledgement that the project never happened. The project was a remodel of bookworms in the library and you get bricks with your name on it to be part of the remodel - pretty cool so feel part of the university and can go back and point at your brick.

Point is, I would love to be donating to the university but can't because of this. I go to events and buy merch, but this is how to ruin future alumni donations 101 by UConn.

Care to share any more info on this? I also graduated in 06 and remember donating to have a brick with my name on it. Did they seriously admit it was never done and had no explanation as to what happened to the money raised?

Alum86

Reaction Score
I generously donated well over $100k to UConn from 2008 to 2012. I'm good on giving UConn my money for a while.
You are an alum obviously and should not feel obligated to donate squat, son, unless you can.
Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Care to share any more info on this? I also graduated in 06 and remember donating to have a brick with my name on it. Did they seriously admit it was never done and had no explanation as to what happened to the money raised?

Yes, they raised $30,000 it was not started and does not exist. No explanation. A high up university employee promised a 24 hour turn around and never called back.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Yes, they raised $30,000 it was not started and does not exist. No explanation. A high up university employee promised a 24 hour turn around and never called back.
Wow. Get this info to Lender at the Courant.

Reaction Score
I just love when people tell other people how to spend their money

So, you're not voting for Hillary?

Reaction Score
Wow. Get this info to Lender at the Courant.

Nah, they just lost me as a donor for life. I chalk it up to an inexpensive & upsetting lesson. If you give money to the Athletic Department they can spend it however... but if they sell you a brick with your name on it to be put on campus - and don't do it... that is messed up .

Alum86

Reaction Score
There are many associated with the university here.
Maybe they see this and contact someone.
They were probably trying to pawn off the bricks that fell from the library by the hour.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
IF you care about uconn....

Then capitalize it.

This post is unbelievable. Actually, the post itself was far more tolerable than the OP's follow-up posts. Sad. Especially the spelling.

There's a time and a place for calling people out. I believe that the majority of the Boneyarders don't need to be asked IF they care about UConn. Especially after a big disappointment for so many, and especially from a noob.

And deciding who "gets a pass" and finger-pointing at others for no apparent reason has a place on the Boneyard.

It's called The Cesspool.

Reaction Score
You can't find a extra $100 to donate?
I think people are being a bit insensitive. There are, sadly, plenty of people in our society who do NOT have an extra $100 lying around for any purpose -- making donations to University athletic funds or any other.
In fact, there was an article in Forbes magazine earlier this year that stated that, based on a survey conducted by bankrate.com, 63% of American adults do not have $500 saved for an emergency expenditure (e.g. unexpected car repair). Another study conducted by the Pew Charitable Trusts in November, 2015, reported that 33% of Americans have not even $1 of extra money. (Link to aforementioned article: 63% Of Americans Don't Have Enough Savings To Cover A $500 Emergency) Contrary to what some report, our economy has still never completely recovered from the economic crisis of 2008-09. I personally know people who had full-time steady career jobs at that time who are still just making ends meet with part-time, seasonal and temporary jobs far below the type of job they had before, and others who are still in the same job they had then with no promotion in the intervening years. (NB Your author himself is what most would consider "underemployed," working in a clerical job despite having multiple degrees, but very happy to have a full-time permanent job with benefits.)

My point is that perhaps we could be a little less hard on people who say that they don't have the money to donate to the athletic development fund, given the current continuing economic anxiety in our country. Just because you have the wherewithal to do that doesn't mean that everyone or even most people do.

Reaction Score
If I told YOU how to spend your money I would tell you to purchase a brain. Or if you can't aford a brain then just cut your tongue off which would present stupidity from coming out of your mouth.

Well bless your heart!

Reaction Score
If you're passionate about UConn athletics and want the division to remain nationally relevant then you should donate annually and buy season tickets. As our AD stated there's no ceiling on raising money. Help UConn and DO YOUR PART BY DONATING.

I agree that we should all give what we can, but the issue is deeper than that. I just noticed that Phil Knight gave another $500 million to his alma mater, Oregon. (He's worth $28+ billion, speak up of you can write that kind of check.) We need the big money donors to be nurtured as Oregon has done with Mr. Knight. Start with our Board of Trustees. Some are not even alumni which is fine if they bring something else to the table. I fear we have some empty suits on the BOT, who don't give substantial money to UConn or add anything to the school's reputation. The biggest problem is that Malloy gets to appoint twelve members and he seems to make appointments for political reasons and not for the direct benefit of UConn. We need more successful alumni on the BOT, not more Malloy chums who get there as a political reward. Such good candidates may be political opponents of Malloy or not even care about politics, but they might be able to help financially and even with CR. Are we losing the opportunity to have interaction and lobbying at the BOT level with other schools/conferences? Something to think about...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom