If you’d a told me 18th KenPom | The Boneyard

If you’d a told me 18th KenPom

Reaction Score
18th KenPom

Top 30 offense and Top 30 defensive teams in the country

If you tell me that’s where we are in March, I take it.

Wasn’t the best in Bahamas, but I’ll take those metrics over the course of the year with this team — and call it a success

Reaction Score
So far, with ups and downs and pluses and minuses, we’re right where the consensus for us was coming into the season. We’re a team that’s going to have a chance to get to the second weekend and compete at the top of the big east. And we have the potential to be better than we are today if either the role players can consistently contribute or the high ceiling guys like Hawkins and AJ can move towards their potential.

Unfortunately, however, some on here read way too much into our blowing out four terrible teams and expected us to walk into the Bahamas as a top ten team. We’re not yet. We don’t have the consistency in offense or outside shooting yet. And it’s possible we won’t. In which case we’re going to have to fight like heck on the boards and on D to be slightly better than last year.

Reaction Score
So far, with ups and downs and pluses and minuses, we’re right where the consensus for us was coming into the season. We’re a team that’s going to have a chance to get to the second weekend and compete at the top of the big east. And we have the potential to be better than we are today if either the role players can consistently contribute or the high ceiling guys like Hawkins and AJ can move towards their potential.

Unfortunately, however, some on here read way too much into our blowing out four terrible teams and expected us to walk into the Bahamas as a top ten team. We’re not yet. We don’t have the consistency in offense or outside shooting yet. And it’s possible we won’t. In which case we’re going to have to fight like heck on the boards and on D to be slightly better than last year.
I agree we can get better and be good but if you saw the Duke Gonnzaga game last night you know we just don’t have the personnel to be that class, but no one else does either.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I agree we can get better and be good but if you saw the Duke Gonnzaga game last night you know we just don’t have the personnel to be that class, but no one else does either.

Baylor does. But yeah, watching the Zags last night had me realizing there are college teams on a completely different level than this year's current UConn team.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
...and this is with weighting (down) from last year, too.

Reaction Score

By the way == where are the folks who mocked me for saying hitting 3s against terrible teams didn’t prove we’d do it against good teams after the Auburn game? Feeling a little silly about thinking you can read everything into one game?

Reaction Score
Against MSU and VCU—two excellent defensive teams—we've shot 2/16 and 7/24 from 3. 22.5%.

Reaction Score
Baylor does. But yeah, watching the Zags last night had me realizing there are college teams on a completely different level than this year's current UConn team.
Yes and you’re right about Baylor. The one thing is that those defenses we played against this weekend were actually tougher than in that game last night. Both those teams had less disruption than we faced and more open shots, so defense is the big factor.

Reaction Score
Same when I watched them dismantle UCLA… I struggle to picture how we would handle facing them. Or Duke, for that matter, based off of their win over the Zags.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I feel like we're close to being VERY good. If we can get better ball movement, maybe some inside out passing (instead of just inside ;)), and get better looks we could really step up our level.

Reaction Score

Did anyone think coming into the season we have the offensive firepower to compete for a national championship? Without that, the only way to compete for championships is for Hurley to take teams with Top 15 talent and blend them into a team where the whole is substantially greater than the sum of its parts. Like Calhoun routinely did in the glory days.

And while Hurley has done a great job here, and we’ve been better every year while he turns this ship around, he has not shown yet that he can consistently have teams where the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts. So far, his bigger success has been bringing in better and better parts.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Don’t trust KenPom until about January. They use last season’s data to scale the first few weeks of the current season.

But yea we’re doing solid.

Reaction Score
Did anyone think coming into the season we have the offensive firepower to compete for a national championship? Without that, the only way to compete for championships is for Hurley to take teams with Top 15 talent and blend them into a team where the whole is substantially greater than the sum of its parts. Like Calhoun routinely did in the glory days.

And while Hurley has done a great job here, and we’ve been better every year while he turns this ship around, he has not shown yet that he can consistently have teams where the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts. So far, his bigger success has been bringing in better and better parts.
Correct yet if you watch a team like Gonzaga pass the ball and cut, why can’t our guys do stuff like that? You don’t have to be able to shoot the lights out or jump over the moon to make layups like they do. Nova does it same way. That’s on coaching and IQ and making the second and 3rd pass after the cut.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
By the way == where are the folks who mocked me for saying hitting 3s against terrible teams didn’t prove we’d do it against good teams after the Auburn game? Feeling a little silly about thinking you can read everything into one game?
Now you are saying we can't make 3's after just one game. I say mocking remains in effect.

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just a reminder that we once won a National Championship game 53-41. Can this team beat Gonzaga or Duke right now. No. Do either of those teams expend the energy UConn does on defense? No.

What we just watched was somewhat matchup driven. In two straight games offensively challenged teams faced stifling defense. We have problems on offense. We have for several years now. That includes 2014. For reasons that escape me, we seem to be unable to grasp modern offensive concepts that rely on motion and ball movement rather than “beating your man” or “creating your own shot”.

I still don’t think our shooters are as terrible as they often look, because our offense simply isn’t going to generate a lot of good looks outside. It doesn’t help when we miss the few good looks we get. Sanogo backs his man down, does anybody cut to the rim to draw the defender doubling to his off hand? Nope. It would either free him up or give him a passing outlet. Cole and Gaff both get trapped because we don’t have free, moving cutters they can pass to.

Reaction Score

Polley, Whaley, CV would beg to differ with your view.

Reaction Score
Same when I watched them dismantle UCLA… I struggle to picture how we would handle facing them. Or Duke, for that matter, based off of their win over the Zags.
I think by March we’ll be able to play with them

Reaction Score
These stats are more descriptive than predictive, but the most commonly cited championship contender whittling down stat is that almost every champion (other than '14 UConn basically) has been top 30 in both offense and defense in KenPom entering the tournament. Now you probably want to be elite at one of the two as well, but we're in a good place going forward.

Reaction Score
UConn is 10th in BPI for whatever that's worth right now...Auburn is 21, MSU is 25 & VCU is 79 despite record.

Not sure how Marquette is 109 with 3 Power 6 wins and 1 loss to Bonnies though.....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now you are saying we can't make 3's after just one game. I say mocking remains in effect.

Right - no way playing 3 games in 3 days (two against top 5 kenpom defenses) will effect shooting percentages. Couldn’t be.

Now I do think we are somewhere in between what we showed shooting in the first few games and the last couple but we shot well against high caliber opponent in auburn with fully rested legs

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Yea not for nothing but Gonzaga and Duke aren’t guaranteed a championship this year. Two of our four titles you could argue there were a handful of other teams on another “level” that year but we got hot and we were lockdown defensive teams. I like this team’s trajectory. We’re a kid or two finding themselves away from being dangerous against anyone in the country. (cough … Hawkins … cough)

Reaction Score
November teams will not be February teams. Hurley has the weapons, its a matter of player development/growth and ability to execute.

Come March coaching takes over, especially if a team does not have an AA, and we are such a team. Lets see where Hurley takes us, these are his players (I'll include Polley/Whaley).

Reaction Score
Yea not for nothing but Gonzaga and Duke aren’t guaranteed a championship this year. Two of our four titles you could argue there were a handful of other teams on another “level” that year but we got hot and we were lockdown defensive teams. I like this team’s trajectory. We’re a kid or two finding themselves away from being dangerous against anyone in the country. (cough … Hawkins … cough)
No one is guaranteed but if you saw that game last night how do we not get beat by at least 20 by either of those teams? we don’t have Kemba we don’t have a Bazz or Boat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom