If Wiggins picks KY, I really don't see the appeal in being 1 of the 7.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Wiggins picks KY, I really don't see the appeal in being 1 of the 7..

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I have to say, I felt no attachment to Drummond mainly because he was a one and done. I don't even count him in my "UConn players in the NBA" total. I really forget he went here.
I suspect you'd remember him fondly if his one and done resulted in an NCAA championship.

Reaction Score
For me, it is all relative. We, as UConn fans, are used to seeing players spend more than one year on campus. However, you really can't say that a one and done player does not represent a university. That's all relative. Look at Cuse and Melo for example... Obviously most UConn fans will say that they didn't feel as much as an attachment to Drummond because we're not used to one and dones and that's completely understandable.
However, as for Drummond's situation, how could you blame him for being a one and done? He was immensely hyped coming into college and coming off of a year that most would say was "disappointing" at best. (I for one, thought it was a perfectly fine freshman year.) Add in the situation that UConn was in this year and that he was guaranteed a top 10 pick, not one kid is going to turn that down, regardless of how committed he is to his university.
Personally, I love Drummond. I think he's a great kid. He has a positive attitude, he LOVES UConn regardless of how long he stayed here, and he's eager to get better. Only time will tell how good this kid will be. I hope he becomes one of the most dominant big men in the league in a few years. I definitely will always view AD as a husky, and I think he'll be one of my favorites to follow in the league.

Everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it, but that's just my two cents on Andre.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
For me, it is all relative. We, as UConn fans, are used to seeing players spend more than one year on campus. However, you really can't say that a one and done player does not represent a university. That's all relative. Look at Cuse and Melo for example... Obviously most UConn fans will say that they didn't feel as much as an attachment to Drummond because we're not used to one and dones and that's completely understandable.
However, as for Drummond's situation, how could you blame him for being a one and done? He was immensely hyped coming into college and coming off of a year that most would say was "disappointing" at best. (I for one, thought it was a perfectly fine freshman year.) Add in the situation that UConn was in this year and that he was guaranteed a top 10 pick, not one kid is going to turn that down, regardless of how committed he is to his university.
Personally, I love Drummond. I think he's a great kid. He has a positive attitude, he LOVES UConn regardless of how long he stayed here, and he's eager to get better. Only time will tell how good this kid will be. I hope he becomes one of the most dominant big men in the league in a few years. I definitely will always view AD as a husky, and I think he'll be one of my favorites to follow in the league.

Everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it, but that's just my two cents on Andre.
I don't blame him at all for leaving. I just don't feel much of an attachment to him after just one year in Storrs. I guess if he led us to a title like Carmelo did at Cuse I might feel different. But.....he didnt and I don't. Now, if he decides to donate $3,000,000 to the good ol state U like Mr. Anthony I will immediately reconsider my opinion.

Reaction Score
I don't blame him at all for leaving. I just don't feel much of an attachment to him after just one year in Storrs. I guess if he led us to a title like Carmelo did at Cuse I might feel different. But.....he didnt and I don't. Now, if he decides to donate $3,000,000 to the good ol state U like Mr. Anthony I will immediately reconsider my opinion.
Lol, yeah I got you, Melo was just an example.

Maybe he is planning to some day, you never know! :D

Reaction Score
He had a good attitude, stayed out of trouble, got better over the course of the year, never looked like he was auditioning for the NBA, and perhaps may have come back had we not gotten a postseason ban that wasn't his fault. Any chemistry issues weren't his fault either.

We actually did have a one and done once before, who is quite beloved, but that's because we (and he) overachieved.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
AD was fun to have, not sure he was the reason 11/12 was our 2nd most disappointing season in the JC era (9/10 being on top of course). Once Kemba left, we simply had a case of bad leadership combined with a sense of entitlement. AO was a bad apple beginning in Nov and everything KW brought to the table they lacked. The 12/13 found leadership chemistry, and a far less talented team played better on the court.

AD is a great kid, is going to be a monster in the NBA and he's going to bring a lot of positive press to our school. I'm glad we had him.

It's still not the type of player I want. Two years at a minimum.

When something is done about the mockery one and done's and UK have made of the college game, Squid will start having "recruiting" issues again. A bad rule has made him a great coach.

Reaction Score
Drummond might just be the worst thing that happend to uconn basketball
I'm imagining you must just be using hyperbole here, because I'm ashamed that anyone would say that about Drummond.

All throughout his time in high school, Drummond was touted as the next big thing; the surefire #1 pick whenever he entered the NBA draft. On top of this hype, he was a Connecticut kid that many of us followed for years. Andre had the choice to go to prep school for a year and then go straight to the NBA draft and be a lock for top 3 selection. But at the last minute, literally two days before classes started, he decided to attend UConn, the university he has always loved and respected.

Sure maybe some people put unrealistic expectations on Andre before his arrival, but if you step back and look at it, he had one of the best freshman seasons in UConn basketball history. Don't blame him for the lack of the team's success. Also, you can't blame him for leaving given the fact that he was a surefire lottery selection, and, of course, because of our postseason ban. There were many indications that Andre would have returned had it not been for this ban.

Now Drummond is in the NBA. He's a great kid and looks like he's going to be a star in the league. He's a grounded individual and is a legitimately nice person. Couple that with his future star status in the league and he's the type of person we want representing the UConn brand. And he willingly represents UConn. The first thing he puts in his Twitter bio is "Former UConn Husky".

I for one will always follow and root for Andre. Would I want to root for a program that completely alters its roster every year? Probably not. But the fact that one of our former players was only here for one year does not diminish the fact that he's a Husky. He's a great kid and will only do good things for our university and basketball program as he continues to develop and achieves success in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Tell yourself what you need to. This whole "Cal's days are numbered" thing sounds like a combination of wishful thinking and sour grapes.

Reaction Score

That is totally inaccurate. I do get the people who do not feel the connection to AD as the 1 and done's aren't typical in Storrs like Cal's place in Deliverance land. As others have stated I prefer the kids who come in,, work hard and get better before our eyes. Much easier and more fun to relate to as a fan but there are guys ready to go and that's reality of the NBA and the dollars. Andre is a great kid and he still does rep the university, but I also do not have the same thoughts of him as a Husky as the Kemba's, Ray's, Rips, Jake's, Smitty's, KEA's or even the Rudy's, Brian Fair's etc etc.....the reality is many would prefer the kid who stays and becomes a true Husky! But again, not the players fault just the system!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
5 star 2013 recruits at Kentucky. Throw in Poythress and Cauley-Stein that's 9 guys who think they belong in the NBA today and want to prove it. KY will probably have a great year just wonder if some of the earlier signees are regretting decision.

I know it seems like jealousy but to me it just seems goofy....more power to Calipari for pulling it off, just kind of takes the fun out of watching a team develop....KY fans must eventually get tired of it.

I'll take the occasional guy who bolts after 2 years otherwise give me teams made up of 3 and 4 year guys who develop and make great runs every 2 or 3 years....more fun and rewarding if you aske me.
I believe Calhoun and coach k said you can't build a program with one and dones

Reaction Score
They caught lighting in a bottle a couple years ago it won't happen as often as people think just because you have "supposedly" super stars. Super stars tend to march to the beat of their own drum and they get moody when things don't go right.....and they won't with 9 of them on the same roster looking for more playing time and feeling they deserve it......they can have Wiggins and all the others - chemistry and "basketball intelligence" don't automatically join these guys coming as we saw with all the "stars" he had this year.......they won't win it all!!!

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Dude, lay off the drugs.
The WORST thing that happened to UConn basketball!? Do you realize how insane that sounds?

This board is losing it collective mind... seriously wtf happened to this board, it used to be a place where I could have intelligent banter about uconn basketball. Now its rampant with morons spewing garbage. Shame.

Reaction Score
It was cool getting AD, very excited when I found out he was coming here. One of the most gifted players to wear the UConn uniform. It didn't end up that great but I don't regret watching him play for us. One and done or not he's still carrying a Uconn banner for us at the next level.

I'd hate it if we had a ton of one year players though. Kentucky fans root for the school and coach but most don't know the players.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I have to say, I felt no attachment to Drummond mainly because he was a one and done. I don't even count him in my "UConn players in the NBA" total. I really forget he went here. I am not a fan of the one and done players. They don't represent our university. They're only there/here because they're being forced to be in college for a year.

I get your sentiment, but in the case of Andre I'm not sure I feel the same way.

Couple things about Drummond:
1. I still remember where I was when I heard he was committing. He was a local (and national) superstar and a huge surprise that we were getting him.
2. He's a VERY likable kid.
3. He openly promotes UConn and Connecticut ... tweets about the teams (men's and women's and local high schools) all the time.

D

Deleted member 3149

1. Shabazz Napier
2. Jeremy Lamb
3. Roscoe Smith
4. Alex Oriakhi
5. Andre Drummond

Bench: DeAndre Daniels, Ryan Boatright

----> 7 NBA guys who will at least get drafted. Round of 64 team. Sometimes a star-studded line-up isn't as great as it sounds.

Reaction Score
Dunno what's going on in this thread, but stacking a team with 5* recruits is far from a new thing . See 1996 Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I'm jealous that they're getting good players, but not jealous at all that they're getting all one-and-dones. One of the best parts of being a fan is watching the development of players for the few years they're here. It takes away such a big part of the enjoyment just getting new and different players every year.
Couldn't agree more. They're not running a program, they're running an NBA factory. It's fun to watch kids progress over 3 or 4 years, see them celebrate Senior Night with their families etc...

Reaction Score
I'm happy with juniors leading us to FFs and NCs every couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom