If we played like girls we would have scored 35 more points | The Boneyard

If we played like girls we would have scored 35 more points

Reaction Score
There really is only one viable statistic that can be equally measured across men's and women's college basketball teams. Free throw percentage. (You can't stat effort). The women are hitting 78% from the line. The men? Number 321 at just under 63%. Quick math shows if we did as the women do we would have 35 more points scored this season. I didn't run through game by game but that's a lot of points considering it could have made the difference with Auburn, Ohio State and Northeastern. There are 40 men's teams hitting at 75% or better. Fundamentals count. Practice launching 3s, but how about everybody try and raise their % by 5 to 10% from the line? Put the work in.

Reaction Score
There really is only one viable statistic that can be equally measured across men's and women's college basketball teams. Free throw percentage. (You can't stat effort). The women are hitting 78% from the line. The men? Number 321 at just under 63%. Quick math shows if we did as the women do we would have 35 more points scored this season. I didn't run through game by game but that's a lot of points considering it could have made the difference with Auburn, Ohio State and Northeastern. There are 40 men's teams hitting at 75% or better. Fundamentals count. Practice launching 3s, but how about everybody try and raise their % by 5 to 10% from the line? Put the work in.
Please stop.

Reaction Score
Imho this is quantifiable and can be improved upon. Guess the game has passed me by......

Reaction Score
Imho this is quantifiable and can be improved upon. Guess the game has passed me by.

Yeah, the men never work on it. Just wondering, do you know who the best free throw shooting team in men's basketball was last year?

Reaction Score
Nope you can't even use free throw percentage. The women play with the same diameter rim and a smaller ball. The ball makes a difference.

Reaction Score
0hQyd5L.gif

Reaction Score
Independent of anything pertaining to women's basketball, the one thing you can't get on the coaching staff about is free throw shooting. They've been almost impossibly good in that regard. The fact that we shoot a low percentage this season means that we have some young players and some other guys who aren't natural shooters.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Nope you can't even use free throw percentage. The women play with the same diameter rim and a smaller ball. The ball makes a difference.

It's only a 1/3" difference in terms of diameter. And their hands are smaller.

There's not a big difference overall in terms of FT% between men and women.

His point was preposterous because our men's team has shot FTs astonishingly well over the last few years.

Reaction Score
The announcer said at one point "....the men are really good too" I was like "were" was more like it but do your homework pal.

Anyway our Huskies have been really good for years this team has some issues, I'm sure they work hard at it just need better FT shooters. By the way I agree the ball does matter considering you can fit 3 of the womens balls in the hoop but in this case, no we have some real masons, back trimmers and even back plates at times.:confused:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
On the women's team, its mostly the guards shooting free throws but for the men's it's the post players. Posts aren't used to shooting from 15'. Brimah, Facey, and Enoch are a combined 44-83, 53%.

Reaction Score
I wish we had someone who could hit the open three like Samuelson.

This would be the one thing in which we could say as mens fans, yeah but its a lot easier to get open for the women. Problem is our guys are open, just don't make it. And Lou makes a few with people in her face, very impressive.

Reaction Score
This would be the one thing in which we could say as mens fans, yeah but its a lot easier to get open for the women. Problem is our guys are open, just don't make it. And Lou makes a few with people in her face, very impressive.

The women are so good at shooting contested outside shots, they actually converted two(!) 4-point plays last night, one by Nurse, one by Samuelson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom