If we could all start over what would your ideal conference look like? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If we could all start over what would your ideal conference look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOL

Preposterous if anyone thinks of a conference without Rutgers?

Reaction Score
I'll grant you that Rutgers does belong in any northeastern conference....maybe not so much in a mix of 14 east coast teams that spread from Miami to Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I'll grant you that Rutgers does belong in any northeastern conference....maybe not so much in a mix of 14 east coast teams that spread from Miami to Syracuse.
Syracuse? Who needs Syracuse? NYC metro...different story.

Reaction Score
I'd grant you that Rutgers belongs in a northeastern conference....not so much in a 14 team eastern conference that stretches from Miami to Syracuse.

A lot of competition in that large region....

Reaction Score
Most of the country is populated with NY/NJ transplants and RU will always be in a densely populated part of the media capital.....look at Fla and the Carolinas....how many bolstered and elevated you're state?

Reaction Score
Cuse basketball vs Rutgers basketball maybe?

And Cuse basketball set NY viewing records.

Reaction Score
Most of the country is populated with NY/NJ transplants and RU will always be in a densely populated part of the media capital.....look at Fla and the Carolinas....how many bolstered and elevated you're state?

Yeah Nicky....folks just are drawn to their remotes any time that Rutgers might be televised.

Rutgers sets all kinds of viewing records....kills it when in a bowl.

Reaction Score
Cuse basketball vs Rutgers basketball maybe?

And Cuse basketball set NY viewing records.
Who cares? If BB was important they'd be in the B1G.And believe me I live in NY metro and if you think they wouldn't prefer to be in the B1G I've got a bridge for sale.Btw how are they doing the last week or two in hoops?Killing it in the ACC? At one time they had loads of FB fans too!!

Reaction Score
Yeah Nicky....folks just are drawn to their remotes any time that Rutgers might be televised.

Rutgers sets all kinds of viewing records....kills it when in a bowl.
I never miss a game......on TV. I stopped going after the Temple game in protest of KF this year.

Reaction Score
I never miss a game.on TV. I stopped going after the Temple game in protest of KF this year.
billy I'm curious?? Do you have anything to do in sunny Fla? Or is this you're job promoting the ACupC?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Leaders:
UCONN
Rutgers
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Virginia
Maryland
Indiana
UNC
Florida

Laggards:
BC
Cuse
Univ of Phoenix
Porter & Chester
Texas Southern
Tulane
New England Tractor Trailer School
Post University
DePaul
North Dakota State

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
12 team conferences are stupid...put together only for greed. We really only need 10 teams in a conference; play each team in football round robin for a 9 game schedule and each team home and away for basketball. Easy scheduling and easier to get the geographic rivalries that are needed,

BCU
UConn
Syracuse
Rutgers
Penn State
Pitt
WVU
Maryland
Virginia
West Virginia

Now you've also got the Boston market (from us rather than BCU), the New York market (us, Cuse, Rutty, Penn State), the Pittsburgh market (Penn State, Pitt, WVU), and Baltimore/Washington (UMD, UVA, and Tech).

Reaction Score
billy I'm curious?? Do you have anything to do in sunny Fla? Or is this you're job promoting the ACupC?

It's a job, Nicky.

Only in it for the money.

I assume you must get paid more than I. But you ought to. Schlepping Rutgers is tougher work.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a job, Nicky.

Only in it for the money.

I assume you must get paid more than I. But you ought to. Schlepping Rutgers is tougher work.
I like the yiddish inflection billy......whodathunkit? A professional? Not you so much as stimpy whose much smoother and only has 1 weak spot while you have too many holes in you're pysch for it.....ego, temper, arrogance and pride are exempting you from the position. BTW why do I have to schlepp RU? Their already locked in a better conference than you're's. Before FSU(or Fla was a state or we were a nation) was even thought of RU was an elite colonial institution. It was Queens College at the time....lots of catching up to do at podunk billy. Good luck with the SEC accepting a #2 school in a state(perceptionwise anyway). On second thought they already have one... TAMU.

Reaction Score
No privates. Give UMass a chance to develop. Tons of regional rivalries in this setup:

UMass
UConn
Rutgers
PSU
Maryland
West Virginia
Pittsburg
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Reaction Score
No privates. Give UMass a chance to develop. Tons of regional rivalries in this setup:

UMass
UConn
Rutgers
PSU
Maryland
West Virginia
Pittsburg
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Agree no privates ....large Publics with resources at their disposal.

Reaction Score
12 team conferences are stupid...put together only for greed. We really only need 10 teams in a conference; play each team in football round robin for a 9 game schedule and each team home and away for basketball. Easy scheduling and easier to get the geographic rivalries that are needed,

BCU
UConn
Syracuse
Rutgers
Penn State
Pitt
WVU
Maryland
Virginia
West Virginia

Now you've also got the Boston market (from us rather than BCU), the New York market (us, Cuse, Rutty, Penn State), the Pittsburgh market (Penn State, Pitt, WVU), and Baltimore/Washington (UMD, UVA, and Tech).

Dude you need a football school or two. BCU and UVA do nothing for the conference. Help recruiting and get Miaimi and you are closer. I do like your using 10 as the new 16. Trade UVA for Miami and replace BCU with ???

Reaction Score
I like the yiddish inflection billy.whodathunkit? A professional? Not you so much as stimpy whose much smoother and only has 1 weak spot while you have too many holes in you're pysch for it.....ego, temper, arrogance and pride are exempting you from the position. BTW why do I have to schlepp RU? Their already locked in a better conference than you're's. Before FSU(or Fla was a state or we were a nation) was even thought of RU was an elite colonial institution. It was Queens College at the time....lots of catching up to do at podunk billy. Good luck with the SEC accepting a #2 school in a state(perceptionwise anyway). On second thought they already have one... TAMU.

LOL...Nicky ...Of course I use Yiddish expressions from time to time. My father's folks were from the shtetl of Pryzborow (now Poland, then german speaking Prussia). Like most Americans, I am a mongrel product. With a Southern protestant mom, a college prep catholic education, and very broad interests, I count myself lucky.

Lucky to have had as parents two people who (in the 1940's) braved the slings and arrows of familial prejudice in the name of love. Lucky that they, as free thinkers, sought to give me the tools and room to learn and make my own decisions about many matters.

And...I count myself lucky to have been a fan of a school for 45 years. Enjoy being a fan of Rutgers. Living the highs and lows of fandom is a privilege that we appreciate best in the good years...but always a privilege.

I may not agree with you about Rutger's fitment into the football solar system, but I understand your fandom.

Reaction Score

BCU
UConn
Syracuse
Rutgers
Penn State
Pitt
WVU
Maryland
Virginia
West Virginia

You put WVU and West Virginia.

pj

Reaction Score
UConn, BC, Rutgers, Penn State, Syracuse, Pitt, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, WVU.

This is mine also. If Notre Dame would join that would be awesome, I'd take Notre Dame and Navy to make 12 and give a conference championship.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'll be that guy that goes to 16 teams, because why not? It would be the eastern seaboard, essentially, with a heavy emphasis on Big East (old BE) / ACC schools:

North Division
UConn
BC
Syracuse
Rutgers
Penn State
Pitt
Maryland
West Virginia

South Division

Virginia
Virginia Tech
UNC
Duke
Ga Tech
Miami
Fla State
USF

Eastern seaboard teams left off the ballot: NCState, Wake, Navy, Temple, ECU.

This conference might have been worth more than any other conference in the nation, based on demographics, etc. And it never had a chance in hell to happen...

Reaction Score
I'll be that guy that goes to 16 teams, because why not? It would be the eastern seaboard, essentially, with a heavy emphasis on Big East (old BE) / ACC schools:

North Division
UConn
BC
Syracuse
Rutgers
Penn State
Pitt
Maryland
West Virginia
South Division
Virginia
Virginia Tech
UNC
Duke
Ga Tech
Miami
Fla State
USF

Eastern seaboard teams left off the ballot: NCState, Wake, Navy, Temple, ECU.

This conference might have been worth more than any other conference in the nation, based on demographics, etc. And it never had a chance in hell to happen...

Swap out USF for Clemson, and you have likely created the greatest all sports conference in history. It encompasses the entire East Coast while combining both great athletics and academics. You could do four rotating pods of logical rivals, and still maintain the semblance of a conference.

Northeast
UCONN
BC
Cuse
Rutgers

Mid Atlantic
PSU
Pitt
WVU
UMD

Mid South
UVA
VPI
UNC
Duke

Southeast
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

Wow. Football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, soccer, just about everything. It's a shame that everyone is so damn greedy, chasing their own self interests. If presidents could see the bigger picture, they would see that they are actually leaving dollars on the table at home chaising cents all over the country. Blow the whole damn thing up and start over.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Swap out USF for Clemson, and you have likely created the greatest all sports conference in history. It encompasses the entire East Coast while combining both great athletics and academics. You could do four rotating pods of logical rivals, and still maintain the semblance of a conference.

Northeast
UCONN
BC
Cuse
Rutgers

Mid Atlantic
PSU
Pitt
WVU
UMD

Mid South
UVA
VPI
UNC
Duke

Southeast
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

Wow. Football, basketball, baseball, wrestling, soccer, just about everything. It's a shame that everyone is so damn greedy, chasing their own self interests. If presidents could see the bigger picture, they would see that they are actually leaving dollars on the table at home chaising cents all over the country. Blow the whole damn thing up and start over.

Good call on the Clemson-for-USF switch. I couldn't bring myself to switch them out for NCState, but Clemson is the right call. As for the pods, I don't think you need them. the 8-team divisions play out pretty well for most sports, I think. Cuts down on travel, etc. For football, it might be an issue, since 9 conference games would mean only 2 crossover games (7 inside the division). But again; 1) travel minimized, 2) a gigantic piece of the country's population covered, and 3) natural rivalries restored.

The problem is not that they were greedy. It's that they weren't greedy enough to smash apart the existing leagues and start a new one (where's Gordon Gecko when you need him!). They just covertly stole what they could from one to feed the other...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Mine would be:

East:

UConn
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
North Carolina
Florida
Georgia
Florida State

West:

Texas
Oklahoma
UCLA
USC
Nebraska
Oregon
Stanford
Alabama

My league is called the "Schools That Make Money + UConn League". Imagine our tv contract. Shame on everyone else for thinking regional!

Reactions: pj
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104