If Warde Manuel Leaves | Page 6 | The Boneyard

If Warde Manuel Leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is not a good idea. It's hard to understand, but UCONN is not envied for the women's program and outspoken (I'm being kind) coach. In red state, football land Geno is a negative. The way it should be? No. But, it's reality.
So you're saying Geno is a negative in red state football land because other women coaches of certain pac 10 and sec schools and other female talking heads in women's basketball, can't stand him? Your logic astounds me.

Reaction Score
So you're saying Geno is a negative in red state football land because other women coaches of certain pac 10 and sec schools and other female talking heads in women's basketball, can't stand him? Your logic astounds me.

I'm trying to avoid coming across as anti-Geno and/or anti-Women's BB. I'm not guilty of either. My point is related to the national perception of the entire Athletic Department. Also, any hatred of Geno/Geno's program, separately, by a small segment of the Women's BB establishment, neither adds or detracts from UCONN's CR status. They have zero input or standing as it relates to the CR process.

Somehow, the success of WBB and, to some extent, MBB has been used by "opinion molders" (Troglodytes who we, nevertheless, have to stroke) as a FB related negative. So has Geno's Philly wise-ass persona. Should he change? F'k no! But it's hard to listen/watch when, after commenting on CR, the most visible person (hopefully, pre-Diaco) in UCONN's Athletic Department, is summarily dismissed as "only the damned Women's Coach."1

Part and parcel of a perception battle that has even UCONN's attributes treated as liabilities.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Is using latin the equivalent of comparing something to Nazi Germany? (Because res ipsa loquitur is entirely irrelevant to whether there is anything that WM could have done to change the outcome.)
True but you have to admire anyone who can quote Cicero!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My question is ow long before we get complaints from posters that "if we had an AD as good as Cincy, WM, not Babcock would be interviewing for Va Tech's AD position as we speak".

Reaction Score
Dare we hope she does a BC/Jags and fires him?
I agree
Really? Have any of our "friends" anywhere ever helped us? Remember that kid that everyone picked on in grade school? That is us.
I don't think so. We just never wanted to play. Then we showed up, finally. We don't get the same respect because we showed up late. But we're here, we're [late to the party], get used to it.

Reaction Score
Dare we hope she does a BC/Jags and fires him?
Sorry, Wrong agree. I meant to agree with Metsfan68. No way we should fire him. No way. I don't blame anyone for trying to get ahead. Not Warde, not Susan, not BD, not anyone. We support them all the way. This is not a destination. It is for basketball, but not for ADs, not for Presidents, and certainly not for football coaches. It could be. It will be. But right now, it's going to be about growing pains.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm trying to avoid coming across as anti-Geno and/or anti-Women's BB. I'm not guilty of either. My point is related to the national perception of the entire Athletic Department. Also, any hatred of Geno/Geno's program, separately, by a small segment of the Women's BB establishment, neither adds or detracts from UCONN's CR status. They have zero input or standing as it relates to the CR process.

Somehow, the success of WBB and, to some extent, MBB has been used by "opinion molders" (Troglodytes who we, nevertheless, have to stroke) as a FB related negative. So has Geno's Philly wise-ass persona. Should he change? F'k no! But it's hard to listen/watch when, after commenting on CR, the most visible person (hopefully, pre-Diaco) in UCONN's Athletic Department, is summarily dismissed as "only the damned Women's Coach."1

Part and parcel of a perception battle that has even UCONN's attributes treated as liabilities.

I'm not buying it. Geno isn't known just as the best coach in women's college basketball. He's the best coach in women's basketball period. In the world. That's a positive.

Reaction Score
I guess you are entitled to your view. He did a horrible job and made no effort to counter the narrative that UL was putting out, to the extent that it was truly embarrassing. As I said when I heard a talking head favorably compare UL's womens basketball program to ours it was clear how bad things had gotten. Heck, Jurich had everybody on tv, the radio, interviewed in the press. He announced he was cancelling his trip to work on this. Manuel did nothing. He allowed the narrative to develop such that by the time the vote was held, Louisville seemed like the logical choice and UConn would have been a head scratcher. Two weeks earlier, everyone conceded UConn was the logical choice. I've watched and participated in political campaigns before and when you allow the other guy to set the narrative, even if he's the underdog, you almost always lose. I saw that playing out very early on in the ACC thing and it was clear that Warde had absolutely no clue what he was doing. He didn't fight back even once. You have to give your friends a reason to support you and we didn't. The whole "there was nothing he could do" argument came about after he had failed. It was an excuse. Nothing more. I would have fired him the day after the decision was made if I had the power to do so. The rest of the stuff he's done has been polishing the silverware on the Titanic. And this comes from a long time hockey fan who loves that we're heading to Hockey East.
This post needs a 1000 like.

Reaction Score
In regards to freescooters post "Get over it or Die with it". Warde signed on for 5 years and I hope he sticks around for at least 4 of those to see the change through that he put in place. To place our exclusion from the ACC only on him is nuts. The issues he has had to deal with in his short time on the job have been many and right now almost all of them are trending in a positive direction. This in reality is what will get us into another conference hopefully sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score

There are a lot of people in the ACC and Big 10 who like him and respect him. They certainly don't look at him as a wise ass street kid from Philly like you just attempted to portray him as. Olympics coach, national team coach, one of the greatest coaches in history, period. He would be an excellent AD IMO, and would get us into a power conference faster than anyone. There might be a few minor negatives but they would be inconsequential.

Reaction Score
Umm...why are fans trying to fill a position that is not open?
Gee, why on earth would your employer try and fill your position or run an ad if he found out YOU were looking elsewhere.

Reaction Score
huskyrob1 said:
Gee, why on earth would your employer try and fill your position or run an ad if he found out YOU were looking elsewhere.

Maybe I missed it. Do we have proof he is looking?

Reaction Score
Maybe I missed it. Do we have proof he is looking?
Yeah, and maybe myself and a few others missed the rule that discussing rumors on a fan board is verboten. No, there is no proof he is looking. If you want proof, then I suggest you monitor the AP wire and not the Boneyard for proof.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I work in a completely different industry than Division 1 college athletics and there are different hiring norms, but to answer your question: No. Employers, mine included, typically do not back fill positions while they are currently filled and there is no indication of near future vacancy. It is a waste of valuable resources. They certainly would not run an ad. Where's the return? Just in case? I don't think so.

If a rumor was floating that I was looking, my employer would approach me directly, which is what I believe President Herbst did with A.D. Manuel. Ergo the statements.

Yeah, and maybe myself and a few others missed the rule that discussing rumors on a fan board is verboten. No, there is no proof he is looking. If you want proof, then I suggest you monitor the AP wire and not the Boneyard for proof.
The rumor was put down three days ago.

Reaction Score

I'm all for discussing rumors. But then we get into the discussion that Herbst should fire him for looking...thought that we missed a step somewhere.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm all for discussing rumors. But then we get into the discussion that Herbst should fire him for looking...thought that we missed a step somewhere.
Not only that, but what makes people think that Geno would want or even be qualified for the job? He is a basketball coach and has been his entire post graduate career. Does he have any administration in his background? It's like asking a guy in the machine shop to step up into the CEO's role. Be that as it may. It doesn't appear that Manuel is going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Not only that, but what makes people think that Geno would want or even be qualified for the job? He is a basketball coach and has been his entire post graduate career. Does he have any administration in his background? It's like asking a guy in the machine shop to step up into the CEO's role. Be that as it may. It doesn't appear that Manuel is going anywhere.

Manuel should be fired because someone made up a rumor that he might be looking for a job. And Geno should be fired because someone rumored he would be a good replacement, but then the WBB team would stink AND we would get kicked out of ALL conferences because people in the south hate WBB coaches AND people from NJ. Then of course Herbst should go...and then we should just burn the campus to the ground.

Reaction Score
I think UConn fans react the way they do, because in general they think the other shoe is about to drop. FHCRE leaves, and its why would he do that, how could he, WE ARE UCONN. Now don't get me wrong, I root for UConn but have a realistic view of this school, we are, a stepping stone and right now, maybe one of the most attractive stepping stones, but until we get into the P5, we can only hope at best that we will remain a stepping stone. I don't like some of the things WM has done. I think perception is something he needs to work on. Fans are in general emotional - most fans think of a team as if it was their team, or who is the biggest fan, who puts more energy into the team??? Well, I think to be fair, I will let history judge WM. We will see if he goes, where he goes, and in what state he left UConn. The same is true for any of our coaches or players.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think UConn fans react the way they do, because in general they think the other shoe is about to drop. FHCRE leaves, and its why would he do that, how could he, WE ARE UCONN. Now don't get me wrong, I root for UConn but have a realistic view of this school, we are, a stepping stone and right now, maybe one of the most attractive stepping stones, but until we get into the P5, we can only hope at best that we will remain a stepping stone. I don't like some of the things WM has done. I think perception is something he needs to work on. Fans are in general emotional - most fans think of a team as if it was their team, or who is the biggest fan, who puts more energy into the team??? Well, I think to be fair, I will let history judge WM. We will see if he goes, where he goes, and in what state he left UConn. The same is true for any of our coaches or players.

I don't have a problem with Warde Manuel's name being on a head hunter's list. I have no problem with him looking around on his own. It's part of the work culture in the 21st century. One should always be aware of their own value. My father just retired from the same company that hired him out of the University of Buffalo in 1969. He never so much as updated his resume' in 45 years. but the practice of staying in one position at one company for 20 years (or more) are over and have been at least since I entered the work force in the late 80's as a 12 year old paperboy. On top of that, I can't understand how it's suggested that Geno Auriemma would be a great fit as a permanent athletic director.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#